[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

9 minutes ago, April said:

Yeah, she didn't understand why Sheldon couldn't just live in 4A and the symbolism of the hallway scene evidently flew over her head by a mile and then some. And that instagram exchange I saw some others were agreeing with her in total confusion about what was going on.

I usually like her takes on the episodes but this got me rolling my eyes like "Gurl, it's so obvious!" but apparently not obvious enough???

After watching the episode, I was very eager to see her review because her last week's review was so spot on. Then I was surprised because I found nothing about the hallway scene.

But I can understand her confusion. I've seen other people question "Why can't Shamy just live in 4A? That'll solve all the problems."

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, April said:

Yeah, she didn't understand why Sheldon couldn't just live in 4A and the symbolism of the hallway scene evidently flew over her head by a mile and then some. And that instagram exchange I saw some others were agreeing with her in total confusion about what was going on.

I usually like her takes on the episodes but this got me rolling my eyes like "Gurl, it's so obvious!" but apparently not obvious enough???

There is a lot of that on social media, video comments etc about people questioning why Sheldon had to be the one to move out especially when he was there first. Each to their own and all that but I can only speak for myself in that it made perfect sense to me after a couple of episodes into the experiment. This is the end outcome I truly wanted.

I get how that 'hallway' scene could have flown over some people's heads as there was deliberately no official announcement or dialogue to say it was permanent. Sheldon uses the word 'open to the possibility' when in 4A, then of course he asks the guys what he should do and he again doesn't give a confirmation and then the hallway scene. It seems permanent to me with how it all played out, it just had that feeling to it.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

There is a lot of that on social media, video comments etc about people questioning why Sheldon had to be the one to move out especially when he was there first. Each to their own and all that but I can only speak for myself in that it made perfect sense to me after a couple of episodes into the experiment. This is the end outcome I truly wanted.

When this all started I didn't think Sheldon would move out either because the writers were already so scared about changing the LAs as is - but Sheldon leaving his room and spot behind? Inconceivable!!11 But the way they did it totally sold me. This is such a great outcome!

4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I get how that 'hallway' scene could have flown over some people's as there was deliberately no official announcement or dialogue to say it was permanent. Sheldon uses the word 'open to the possibility' when in 4A, then of course he asks the guys what he should do and he again doesn't give a confirmation and then the hallway scene. It seems permanent to me how it all played out, it just had that feeling to it.

Yeah, exactly. He's "open to the possibility", then he's pondering his options, the guys are no help to him (even though it's blindingly obvious what he should do), and eventually he finds himself in his predicament in the hallway caught between two places symbolising his old life and the new one - and then his answer comes to him in form of Amy and her intellect (and the eggplant lol). His decision is made.

So simple, yet so confusing apparently because there wasn't someone making a declaration about what this means. It's a pity cause it's such a wonderful moment!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, April said:

When this all started I didn't think Sheldon would move out either because the writers were already so scared about changing the LAs as is - but Sheldon leaving his room and spot behind? Inconceivable!!11 But the way they did it totally sold me. This is such a great outcome!

Yeah I remember us all having discussions on the Shamy thread at the time on what we thought the end outcome would be, what the pluses and minuses would be with each possible outcome after the experiment etc. I think it's fair to say the writers brilliantly have managed to construct a narrative that explains why the decisions they made just make a ton of sense. I can't fault their end decision at all and they managed to completely sway me even early on.

2 hours ago, April said:

Yeah, exactly. He's "open to the possibility", then he's pondering his options, the guys are no help to him (even though it's blindingly obvious what he should do), and eventually he finds himself in his predicament in the hallway caught between two places symbolising his old life and the new one - and then his answer comes to him in form of Amy and her intellect (and the eggplant lol). His decision is made.

So simple, yet so confusing apparently because there wasn't someone making a declaration about what this means. It's a pity cause it's such a wonderful moment!

It was a very 'Shamy' way of resolving it I thought and that was beautiful. I think that scene might be one that gets a lot more attention and more kudos as time goes on.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 6

Lenny need 4A, it is a bigger apt. They are married. In no way do Shamy need 4A, 4B is fine for them. So i don't get that. And the last Shamy scene meh. Sorry I have seen enough of them. That scene just bored me I don't know why. It is like Sheldon just make your mind up already, your a grown man. But anyway. What were they talking about? Who cares lol? Sorry I mean Sheldon seriousley grow up. Just walk into 4B. Honestly enough with this dragging things out show. Sorry I just did not care for that last Shamy scene, was a waste of time. Their is no depth to this. "Sheldon is at a crossroads" No he is not. Amy showed up he went right. It is over. But its not apparently lord. That was the conflict, between the past and the present, and his future with Amy. It was symbolic. But he made his choice. So show just move on now. Enough of these Existensial Sheldon Lessons ugh.

It is like with Oh Sheldon does not know any better. That has prooven to be wrong. Sheldon made a choice to live with Amy. He made a choice to extend the arrangement. Even when Amy lied, he still choose to live with Amy. And then when Amy showed up, he made a choice to walk right with her. End of. They did this storyline before. Only difference is, it shows how far Shamy have evolved. Sheldon was at a crossroads in 7x24. When Lenny got engaged, and he ran away. Opposed to ditching Amy with his milkshake lol. Amy delt with it better, and spoke in a very Sheldon way to get through to him. So to me Sheldon is very indecisive, he knows better. He just struggles to come to a decision. I just wish they would end these "Sheldon learns a existensial lesson storyline" It is so old ugh. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shamyyellow said:

I don't understand what you mean by that. There was no big choice for Sheldon to make? It was merely him standing there, deciding whether he was going to spend his afternoon in 4A or 4B? 

I can understand if you think Sheldon got distracted and walked into 4B with Amy for no other reason than to finish their conversation... but between then and the tag scene Sheldon made a choice to stay in 4B with her, so the significance of the hallway scene still stands. At the very least it demonstrated how similar they are, what they offer to each other, and her ability to sooth his worries. The scene certainly wasn't "nothing" but it can obviously mean less to some than others. 

It was a metaphor for Sheldon's choice of returning to 4A or staying in 4B (or wherever Amy and Sheldon wind up).

It was a big deal and not just "what am I going to do this afternoon". The writers are actually using what they learned in writing school.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

So i don't get that. And the last Shamy scene meh. Sorry I have seen enough of them. That scene just bored me I don't know why. It is like Sheldon just make your mind up already, your a grown man. But anyway. What were they talking about? Who cares lol? Sorry I mean Sheldon seriousley grow up. Just walk into 4B. Honestly enough with this dragging things out show. Sorry I just did not care for that last Shamy scene, was a waste of time. Their is no depth to this. "Sheldon is at a crossroads" No he is not. Amy showed up he went right. It is over.

Agree. If he had gone left It seems to me Shamy would of been history and you know that wasn't going to happen. The show isn't a drama it's a comedy. It has dramatic moments but when their predictable there really not dramatic.

• Like 4

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:06 PM, Lagernisse said:

The show is a sit-com, I don't think the writers are gonna bother with lease contracts. But that's just my opinion. 

Penny said, 'You won't be paying rent.'

They obviously intend to get the 4A tenancy arrangements changed soon.

Amy would have to start paying for her apartment again as soon as it became habitable.

This is the first time in the show's existence that they aren't dragging things out.
I sat through 9 seasons of Penny and Leonard breaking up, having sex, getting together, and breaking up again. It took multiple proposals, 2 weddings, and 9 seasons to get anywhere with them. I was watching the 100th episode that other day and couldn't help but shake my head at how Lenny-centric is was. The entire thing was about them going back and forth. Everyone was just a puppet for their drama. 
In the past year, Sheldon's personal and professional life has seen several changes and because of that, there is a lot to say. In the last 4 episodes alone, he participated in an experiment that ended in moving in with his girlfriend... permanently. Considering this is Sheldon and he's moved away from his spot, all his cool stuff, and HIS apartment... all of this has happened at a ridiculously fast pace. Most of us didn't even consider that he would leave 4A.
I think it's very unfair to insinuate that nobody cares about Shamy and what happened in last week's episode. I happen to care very much.

Tptb have so much going on that's there's something for everyone and I'm happy that you enjoy the shamy so much but to me they're one of the most boring couples on tv

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

This is the first time in the show's existence that they aren't dragging things out.

I sat through 9 seasons of Penny and Leonard breaking up, having sex, getting together, and breaking up again. It took multiple proposals, 2 weddings, and 9 seasons to get anywhere with them. I was watching the 100th episode that other day and couldn't help but shake my head at how Lenny-centric is was. The entire thing was about them going back and forth. Everyone was just a puppet for their drama. 

The 100th episode was Lenny centric, and it was the thirteenth episode of that season. I'll give you that one and The Ornithophobia Diffusion, (and possibly the The Skank Reflex Analysis).   Now, shall we look at Shamy centric shows in those first thirteen?  How about The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition and The Shiny Trinket Maneuver?  Possibly  The Isolation Permutation.   Could you explain where you see a lot more Lenny than Shamy  to me, as I don't see a lot of difference there.  

If you want to go to the second half of that season, I'll give you The Beta Test Initiation for Lenny, but then there is The Vacation Solution for Shamy.   The Weekend Vortex has Shamy and Howardette plots, in addition to the guys and the game.  And, The Launch Acceleration had equal amounts.  

As for being a puppet for drama, there are a lot more examples of Sheldon's drama making puppets out of the rest of the gang, than anyone else.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, shamyyellow said:

I think it's very unfair to insinuate that nobody cares about Shamy and what happened in last week's episode. I happen to care very much.

I don't think the original poster meant nobody cares but in the same token not everyone cares. Just like I'm from Chicago and I'm overjoyed the Cubs won the World Series. But it doesn't mean everyone is overjoyed by that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

The 100th episode was Lenny centric, and it was the thirteenth episode of that season. I'll give you that one and The Ornithophobia Diffusion, (and possibly the The Skank Reflex Analysis).   Now, shall we look at Shamy centric shows in those first thirteen?  How about The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition and The Shiny Trinket Maneuver?  Possibly  The Isolation Permutation.   Could you explain where you see a lot more Lenny than Shamy  to me, as I don't see a lot of difference there.  

If you want to go to the second half of that season, I'll give you The Beta Test Initiation for Lenny, but then there is The Vacation Solution for Shamy.   The Weekend Vortex has Shamy and Howardette plots, in addition to the guys and the game.  And, The Launch Acceleration had equal amounts.  

As for being a puppet for drama, there are a lot more examples of Sheldon's drama making puppets out of the rest of the gang, than anyone else.  

You just made my point.

There are times in the series when episodes were very Lenny-centric and Howardette-centric and Shamy-centric. They all have their moments and sometimes they overshadow the other couples in the process. I know what it feels like to be frustrated when your preferred ship isn't getting the attention another ship is getting, but it happens to all of us in doses from time to time. I was just pointing out that there have been times when Shamy took a backseat to Lenny. 

I would honestly love for the writers to give Leonard and Penny a fun, kick-ass storyline so that things could be a little more balanced around here.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

You just made my point.

There are times in the series when episodes were very Lenny-centric and Howardette-centric and Shamy-centric. They all have their moments and sometimes they overshadow the other couples in the process. I know what it feels like to be frustrated when your preferred ship isn't getting the attention another ship is getting, but it happens to all of us in doses from time to time. I was just pointing out that there have been times when Shamy took a backseat to Lenny. 

I would honestly love for the writers to give Leonard and Penny a fun, kick-ass storyline so that things could be a little more balanced around here.

Time in the series suggests all ten seasons. The three couples have only been together since the 100th episode. So in your earlier post complaining about Lenny eccentric episodes over nine seasons is not comparable since the first three seasons Howdette was only their a couple episodes and Shamy didn't exist. And Lenny was only a couple in most of season 3.  The reality is Shamy has been a couple in more overall episodes than Lenny.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Let's use the metaphor of a restaurant for TBBT, it was our favorite restaurant and the food on the Lenny menu was delicious and filling. Then the last two seasons we were basically fed water and saltine crackers with an occasional Bologna samich thrown in.

This year we sat down and were served the deluxe burger with all the fixins , a side of large fries and a drink. After two years we get a good meal including many of the things we were hoping for.

Yet some still complain it's not a steak, we wanted happy married lenny, we got it. We wanted fun sexy penny back, we got it. We wanted Lenny living alone, we got it. We hated the wedding we got a redo.

Did we get EVERYTHING we could possibly want, no. But we did get more than most of us expected, so while some seem to be unable to get over the lack of steak, I am going to enjoy a delicious burger.

Because honestly I got what I most wanted and with TBBT those "steak" plots often come with a large side of angst and that's bad for my blood pressure.

End of rant...

I like your metaphor.

I think for me, the thing about this Lenny VS Shamy discussion that I'm not a fan of is, while I understand perfectly people at the next table may get jealous of the steak on my table, because they're not satisfied at only getting a hamburger, 

See I get it that people are allowed to comment on everything. And they have every right to state their opinions on my steak.  The truth is, I'm not a big fan of the steak/hamberger on their table either.  So usually I just stay silent and smile when they're eating their food. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

You just made my point.

Actually, no I didn't.  You originally highlighted one episode to show the how Lennycentric the show was, ignoring the rest of the episodes that season.  I simply pointed out that the entire season was relatively even.  

49 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

How about season Four?   Or seasons seven, eight and nine?  Even season six, which I have repeatedly admitted had more Lenny, it was only  four episodes more for Lenny.  There was far more Shamy over the last three years, to more than counterbalance those four episodes in season six, and even seasons 1-3.  If you don't think so, I would love to see your analysis of each of the seasons. It's more proper to look at the entire season (or even the entire series) rather than individual episodes as single data points always have a correlation of one, in either direction. 

Look if you want to say you want more Shamy, that's fine.  But to say the much higher number of Shamy episodes vs Lenny episodes is easily demonstrated by looking at either the summaries(note not taping reports) or reviews. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Actually, no I didn't.  You originally highlighted one episode to show the how Lennycentric the show was, ignoring the rest of the episodes that season.  I simply pointed out that the entire season was relatively even.  

How about season Four?   Or seasons seven, eight and nine?  Even season six, which I have repeatedly admitted had more Lenny, it was only  four episodes more for Lenny.  There was far more Shamy over the last three years, to more than counterbalance those four episodes in season six, and even seasons 1-3.  If you don't think so, I would love to see your analysis of each of the seasons. It's more proper to look at the entire season (or even the entire series) rather than individual episodes as single data points always have a correlation of one, in either direction. 

Look if you want to say you want more Shamy, that's fine.  But to say the much higher number of Shamy episodes vs Lenny episodes is easily demonstrated by looking at either the summaries(note not taping reports) or reviews. 

But my point wasn't to argue this with you or anyone else who loves Lenny. I didn't mention the 100th episode to highlight and demonstrate how equal the show has been in terms of screen time for each couple. I mentioned that episode because I saw it the other night and it reminded me that we've all taken a turn in feeling spoiled and/or neglected. I wasn't going to count the seconds, minutes, and hours that Shamy had the screen in comparison to Lenny because once again, that wasn't my point. I was trying to bring us together so we could empathize instead of fight. 

I don't even believe you can make the argument you and other's are trying to make. If you count up all the screen time, you still have to consider content, quality, and opinion. If a couple is broken up and fighting, even if the storyline is about them, it doesn't appease the shippers and can often feel worse than if they got no screen time at all. As a fan of Shamy, I can honestly say that I always hate season finale's and premieres. In fact, the second half of most seasons have the tendency to disappoint me. You can count the screen time and say its equal or better than Lenny's to which I can say Lenny gets happier moments to which you can disagree. It's a fight that can't be won.

I want all of us to be happy which is why I said I hope that Lenny has a good storyline coming up. I would much rather see Lenny fans excited about whats happening than seeing them pick Shamy and their shippers apart because of what's not happening with Leonard and Penny. I would be lying if I said I was unhappy with the attention Shamy has gotten in the last few episodes, but I've only ever wanted the same for the other couples too. I understand the frustration but I'm frustrated because of the way it's being used against other storylines and opinions.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, camelliayao said:

After watching the episode, I was very eager to see her review because her last week's review was so spot on. Then I was surprised because I found nothing about the hallway scene.

But I can understand her confusion. I've seen other people question "Why can't Shamy just live in 4A? That'll solve all the problems."

Me too!! She is generally very good at analyzing the most poignant moments in the show and I usually agree especially in her opinions about Shamy. When I read her review of last week episode, I was like...Really? This is all you got? Let Sheldon live in 4A because he loves his spot too much to be apart from it??? Then I realized this is a quite common opinion over the internet. People are still wondering if actually the LA are settled for good, I've read comments about people don't even understanding that the experiment is already over.

So, my opinion is that the writers are doing a good job balancing the "said" and "unsaid", it's true that the idea of telling us everything is unsettling (for example, I hate when in every scene where Sheldon and Penny are together they underline they have a siblings kind of relationship) but you just can't let a scene speak for itself all the time because, as the hallway scene proves, even the most Shamy-scene ever can be misunderstood, even by shippers. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

I would much rather see Lenny fans excited about whats happening than seeing them pick Shamy and their shippers apart because of what's not happening with Leonard and Penny.

This! That's what I'm striving for. Of course I can only speak for myself and maybe I'm pleased to easily, but there were already quite a few Lenny moments so far I'm excited about. I love the redo ceremony in the season premiere, I love the Lenny dance and the TLC Penny is giving Leoanrd after he tried to do the worm in episode 10x04. I love the Lenny fist bump, when Penny says "Yeah. You tell 'em babe" after the ironic banter from Leonard at the beginning of episode 10x05. Those moments only last seconds, but I love them. Or when Penny says "I think it's hot" in regard to Leonard's change maker in episode 10x06. And just last week in episode 10x07 at the end. The mutual ILY's and the kiss. I love, love, love it. It's so rare for us to hear Penny saying "I love you" to Leonard, that I really treasure these moments. Again, only seconds of screentime, but so valuable for me. :shy:
And hey...the Lenny sex dungeon, even if it's just a Sheldon dream...this short scene with Penny clad as dominatrix is already a highlight of the entire series for me. :shy:

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Me too!! She is generally very good at analyzing the most poignant moments in the show and I usually agree especially in her opinions about Shamy. When I read her review of last week episode, I was like...Really? This is all you got? Let Sheldon live in 4A because he loves his spot too much to be apart from it??? Then I realized this is a quite common opinion over the internet. People are still wondering if actually the LA are settled for good, I've read comments about people don't even understanding that the experiment is already over.

So, my opinion is that the writers are doing a good job balancing the "said" and "unsaid", it's true that the idea of telling us everything is unsettling (for example, I hate when in every scene where Sheldon and Penny are together they underline they have a siblings kind of relationship) but you just can't let a scene speak for itself all the time because, as the hallway scene proves, even the most Shamy-scene ever can be misunderstood, even by shippers. 

I don't find Jessica particularly insightful . I have disagreed with her comments in the past. I didn't even know glamour did reviews for TBBT until this season.I have read AV Club since season 2. They had some great reviewers like Todd and Kyle, over the years. But I think AV Club dumped TBBT reviews starting season 10. I could be wrong though.

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I don't find Jessica particularly insightful . I have disagreed with her comments in the past. I didn't even know glamour did reviews for TBBT until this season.

I have read AV Club since season 2. They had some great reviewers like Todd and Kyle, over the years. But I think AV Club dumped TBBT reviews starting season 10. I could be wrong though.

I think we like those reviews that hold similar opinions as ours. For example as a shipper I like Glamour's and don't care for AV club's very much. But I wouldn't call AV club's reviews not insightful. Just not my cup of tea.

10 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I have read AV Club since season 2. They had some great reviewers like Todd and Kyle, over the years. But I think AV Club dumped TBBT reviews starting season 10. I could be wrong though.

I loved the AV Club reviews, too, but it seems TBBT fell victim of the huge cut in their review portfolio this year. It's one of many many shows they stopped reviewing. From what I heard they're under new management which is responsible for he changes. Pity.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

I want all of us to be happy which is why I said I hope that Lenny has a good storyline coming up. I would much rather see Lenny fans excited about whats happening than seeing them pick Shamy and their shippers apart because of what's not happening with Leonard and Penny. I would be lying if I said I was unhappy with the attention Shamy has gotten in the last few episodes, but I've only ever wanted the same for the other couples too. I understand the frustration but I'm frustrated because of the way it's being used against other storylines and opinions.

If you want everyone to agree with you you are probably on the wrong thread. Not everyone saw the scene in the hallway as a dramatic moment. Some did others didn't. Just because some didn't doesn't make them (myself included) right or wrong.

• Like 3

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic