The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Now I know the afghan isn't a type of monkey I feel somewhat relieved. :) Traditionally in UK, children and old people knit or crochet squares that are then made up into blankets for charity. They get sent to refugees such as earthquake victims who might have to sleep in the open or in tents. Somebody sent me one after I'd had a fire in my house and had to move while it was fixed. Like Stuart and Amy, I know how unliveable-in a place is when everything is soaking wet.

I assumed Amy had made the throw herself because she likes handicraft. Perhaps she did, or bought it at a church fair or sale of work. I like the suggestion it could have been her grandmother's.

I loved how the article reminded us Amy marches to her own drummer. So true ! A harp, a smoking monkey, an oven-timer set to the wrong time, a bedhead that looks like woven straw, a Tardis, a rice Sheldon, a fax machine (I've still got mine too because sometimes nothing else will do ) in her apartment that she somehow manages to keep neat and tidy with so much in it, tells us a lot about her.

• Like 1

Or.... they could do the Sheldon Baby show like Quantico, parallel stories when Sheldon was a teen and later when he's with the gang, switching back and forth so in time.

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Leonard has not achieved his pilot goal. It was to have smart and beautiful babies. It is an insult IMO to Lenny fans to have Bernadette pregnant first. I also disagree about a Shamy wedding not being a big deal on the show. The writers love repeating themselves. Another Sheldon jealousy episode on Thursday for example. How many FWF have their been?

Working up from the end: FWF falls under the heading 'running gag', and I said tptb don't seem to repeat  'major story lines' not one episode sagas/issues such as jealousy. Weddings are never dealt with very thoroughly on the show so why any different for Shamy if that's what it comes to  

I'm hoping  going forward the writing gives us twists and surprises so that the tick lists of 'things to get through: weddings, babies, who lives where' is not the be all and end all. I want a quirky show where my fabulous nerdy characters and their friends make it  through their lives in brilliant, imaginative and inventive ways that I can't imagine whatever the 'end game' needs to be, that's the show I tune in to watch. 

And we do know Lenny's babies will be smart and beautiful whenever they arrive...... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

Weddings are never dealt with very thoroughly on the show so why any different for Shamy if that's what it comes to  

I'm hoping  going forward the writing gives us twists and surprises so that the tick lists of 'things to get through: weddings, babies, who lives where' is not the be all and end all. I want a quirky show where my fabulous nerdy characters and their friends make it  through their lives in brilliant, imaginative and inventive ways that I can't imagine whatever the 'end game' needs to be, that's the show I tune in to watch. 

And we do know Lenny's babies will be smart and beautiful whenever they arrive...... 

There were many episodes relating to Howdette's wedding. The drama of Bernie saying yes, shopping for dresses, Howard's mom in the hospital, the pre nupital episode and that's justoff the top of my head. As of right now  if you think Sheldon plastered on the screen is quirky you should be very happy. I like to see Lenny babies smart and beautiful but this point I'm feeling that will find out Penny can't have kids.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

I don't know about the Penny and kids thing. Even though this is a Chuck Lorre show, it's not as negative and dark like Two and Half Men or Mom is/was. I think this is different to him than his other show.

13 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

There were many episodes relating to Howdette's wedding. The drama of Bernie saying yes, shopping for dresses, Howard's mom in the hospital, the pre nupital episode and that's justoff the top of my head. As of right now  if you think Sheldon plastered on the screen is quirky you should be very happy. I like to see Lenny babies smart and beautiful but this point I'm feeling that will find out Penny can't have kids.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turns out that Penny can't have kids.

13 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I don't know about the Penny and kids thing. Even though this is a Chuck Lorre show, it's not as negative and dark like Two and Half Men or Mom is/was. I think this is different to him than his other show.

But anything dark and negative on the show has generally been directed at Lenny.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

And you just know he hates that, all the changes he had to make from his original idea and how he tried to change it back in late season 3 and season 4 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JE7 said:

And you just know he hates that, all the changes he had to make from his original idea and how he tried to change it back in late season 3 and season 4 

I'm not sure where Amy fits in all that. JMO but I don't think he envisioned Sheldon as a heterosexual. But I think money outweighs Chuck's original idea.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turns out that Penny can't have kids.

I sure it would Leonard's fault that they couldn't have kids as he seems to be the one that tptb like to dump on

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As Howardette are more 'minor characters' than the big three the wedding plot covered the basics but the actual wedding was scrapped in favour of a scratch nerdy style affair in the end, pretty small scale. This premis is possibly also being used for the baby story so they can get all their standard baby gags out the way with minor characters in the frame. Presumably it's part of Howard's story arc that he has been converted from the sleazeball into a regular, in his case, hen-pecked guy. Not what you want for the leads.  I think Leonard and Sheldon's life events if they need to come up at all should be dealt with differently and uniquely and so far that's what has played out. 

7 hours ago, Listgirl said:

As Howardette are more 'minor characters' than the big three the wedding plot covered the basics but the actual wedding was scrapped in favour of a scratch nerdy style affair in the end, pretty small scale. This premis is possibly also being used for the baby story so they can get all their standard baby gags out the way with minor characters in the frame. Presumably it's part of Howard's story arc that he has been converted from the sleazeball into a regular, in his case, hen-pecked guy. Not what you want for the leads.  I think Leonard and Sheldon's life events if they need to come up at all should be dealt with differently and uniquely and so far that's what has played out. 

Well the only thing that has played out so far, is Sheldon's life events. On his terms and from his point of view. I agree with you relatively. Alot of people who have been watching the show since the beggining. Want the series final to homage the pilot. Ala Penny giving birth, and Leonard get's his smart and beautiful babies. It is funny people critisize the show for being too relationship focused over the years. It always was "Our babies well be smart and beautiful" Kinda signifies the direction the show was heading lol. I know that was unintentional. But TBBT got compared to Friends since the pilot. I understand the Science component made the show unique, but it was always a show about relationships. Relationships with Science, Friendships, Romance e.t.c. Right now the main storylines are Bernadette's Pregnancy. And now Bert getting a raise. And we get to see Sheldon all upset over someone in his opinion, a inferior field Geology, getting a promotion e.t.c. Oh joy, this really is the golden age of this show lol. I cannot wait to watch Sheldon learn his millionth existensial lesson. I do like the focus on how someone like Bernadette, who is not the typical pregnant out of wedlock. IS actually a succesfull, accomplished woman. Who is worried she well get treated differently, well like the rest now she is pregnant. I like that point of view. As for life events, I would love if Leonard got tenure. But I fear it well be very Sheldon Centric for now on. Because in any case I don't think Leonard/Johnny is the lead anymore. Based on screen time. Jim and Mayim are the leads now. Johnny, Kaley, Simon, Kunal, and Mel are all supporters. It is ironical. The money J and K are being payed, you would think they are leads. But the amount of work they are doing on the show does not justify their salaries. Vice Versa for Mayim. Her salary is half that of Johnny and Kaley's. Yet she is working as a lead atm. 

• Like 3

Everyone should remember that while Johnny and Kaley negotiate together Jim goes it alone so it is quite possible they could strike a deal with one but not the other 

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

Personally, I really can't complain right now ! :shy:

I think this season has been pretty great, even though I was ready to give up on TBBT at the end of s9.   I think  Jim, Mayim, Simon and Melissa are killing it this season !

I hope Lenny get more stories too, but TBH,  I really don't care who gets what screentime , as long as I find  the episodes are funny . I thought the latest episode , "The Brain Bowl Incubation" was charming- solid physical comedy by JP and a nice emotional shift for Raj ! My friends and I laughed many times. And I liked most of the episodes that came before it (10.1, 10.2, 10.4,10.5,10.6,10,7) .

Anyway, hoping for some Back to the Future references in the upcoming episode because I really enjoyed Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj's discussion about the timeline paradox of BTTF in season 8 !

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

The money J and K are being payed, you would think they are leads. But the amount of work they are doing on the show does not justify their salaries. Vice Versa for Mayim. Her salary is half that of Johnny and Kaley's. Yet she is working as a lead atm. 

This issue of screen time and salary is a weird one. Of course it's impossible to know how J/K feel about their story lines in the context of their salaries. I think in the circumstances they are smart to act together (no-one wants to see one of them go). I imagine it's a major factor though in their negotiations if it is an issue, so should there be a season 11 then a deal is likely to have been struck which J/K are happy with in every respect, consequently whatever screen time/story lines they have next season do stand a chance of being by mutual consent between them and tptb. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Personally, I really can't complain right now ! :shy:

I think this season has been pretty great, even though I was ready to give up on TBBT at the end of s9.   I think  Jim, Mayim, Simon and Melissa are killing it this season !

I hope Lenny get more stories too, but TBH,  I really don't care who gets what screentime , as long as I find  the episodes are funny . I thought the latest episode was charming- solid physical comedy by JP and a nice emotional shift for Raj ! My friends and I laughed many times. Hoping for some Back to the Future references in the upcoming episode because I really enjoyed Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj's discussion about the timeline paradox of BTTF in season 8 !

Don't get me wrong Season Ten has been very good. But they really need to balance out the screen time. That is pretty much my only gripe. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Don't get me wrong Season Ten has been very good. But they really need to balance out the screen time. That is pretty much my only gripe. 

Agreed. Doesn't help the runtime for episodes sometimes is 18 mins verses the usual 21-22. I still get annoyed how TBBT seems to be the only CBS sitcom to even have really short episodes. Having watched other sitcoms, none of them ever see 18 or 19 min eps. They always get the normal 21-22. Then again I only watch these shows online, so I can keep track of the runtimes verses watching live on tv.

I hate TV these days, I hate how Network TV has gotten worse with ads, that if this was 10-20 years ago all sitcoms would be 22-25 mins like Friends or Seinfeld. 

3-4 mins is massive for TBBT, imagine how much more screentime could be given to other characters if each episode ALWAYS had a 21-22 runtime and not 18-19 mins as has been the case for years at times.

Edited by wonder63
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, wonder63 said:

Agreed. Doesn't help the runtime for episodes sometimes is 18 mins verses the usual 21-22. I still get annoyed how TBBT seems to be the only CBS sitcom to even have really short episodes. Having watched other sitcoms, none of them ever see 18 or 19 min eps. They always get the normal 21-22. Then again I only watch these shows online, so I can keep track of the runtimes verses watching live on tv.

I hate TV these days, I hate how Network TV has gotten worse with ads, that if this was 10-20 years ago all sitcoms would be 22-25 mins like Friends or Seinfeld. 

3-4 mins is massive for TBBT, imagine how much more screentime could be given to other characters if each episode ALWAYS had a 21-22 runtime and not 18-19 mins as has been the case for years at times.

They would prob use that 3-4 mins to give Sheldon more screen time hahaha. But i see your point. Could be wrong, but the amount of money advertisers pay for spots on TBBT. Is around 750K per ad spot, I read that some where. So that could come into play ,when it comes to the diminished screen time. So maybe the amount of Ads, like you said is a big part of why it is one of the few CBS Runtime sitcoms to go 18-19 mins not 21-22, or 22-25 mins as it was 10-20 years ago.. Your right though that extra 3-4 mins could do wonders. Could give the other characters more chance for their story to develop. And it is one of the big reasons characters outside of Shamy, are not getting shared screen time. When you've only got what 18-19 mins. And 95% of the episode is dedicated to two characters. Well it is not hard to see why it is frustrating for most watching. I mean I am not sure how long TBBT went for from 2007-2010. But I am presuming seeing their was only 5 characters. Things flowed better. So in regards to Leonard and Penny's diminished screen time. You can see why. Theirs just not enough screen time, with all the ads. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

And it is one of the big reasons characters outside of Shamy, are not getting shared screen time. When you've only got what 18-19 mins. And 95% of the episode is dedicated to two characters. Well it is not hard to see why it is frustrating for most watching. 

Could you tell me how you came to the conclusion that 95 % of an episode is dedicated to Sheldon and Amy(assuming those are the 2 characters you are talking about)  ?  And do you have statistical proof that MOST people watching TBBT are frustrated right now ? Genuine question on how you got those numbers. I only know of TBBT  viewership and demo ratings and it seems like they are still getting decent numbers(compared to most scripted shows) . I could be wrong though.

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 3

People forget, the pilot was just a pilot.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up to much for those "smart and beautiful babies"

5 minutes ago, Chiany said:

It was just a tag joke, not a premonition.. A funny joke too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bbtfan07 said:

Though one joke is officially added to the canon history even if told off handedly.

By the fans only.

Otherwise we have to assume Sheldon and Leonard still visit the sperm bank etc.

4 hours ago, Chiany said:

1 hour ago, Chiany said:

By the fans only.

Otherwise we have to assume Sheldon and Leonard still visit the sperm bank etc.

I think the babies line is different than the sperm bank. Though it seems weird Sheldon at a sperm bank. The sperm bank doesn't fit into the show like the baby line still does. Not only that but the writing has IMO become desperate repeating another jealousy episode for example. For future syndication the baby line works to tie the show up in a bow so I think it will happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

They would prob use that 3-4 mins to give Sheldon more screen time hahaha. But i see your point. Could be wrong, but the amount of money advertisers pay for spots on TBBT. Is around 750K per ad spot, I read that some where. So that could come into play ,when it comes to the diminished screen time. So maybe the amount of Ads, like you said is a big part of why it is one of the few CBS Runtime sitcoms to go 18-19 mins not 21-22, or 22-25 mins as it was 10-20 years ago.. Your right though that extra 3-4 mins could do wonders. Could give the other characters more chance for their story to develop. And it is one of the big reasons characters outside of Shamy, are not getting shared screen time. When you've only got what 18-19 mins. And 95% of the episode is dedicated to two characters. Well it is not hard to see why it is frustrating for most watching. I mean I am not sure how long TBBT went for from 2007-2010. But I am presuming seeing their was only 5 characters. Things flowed better. So in regards to Leonard and Penny's diminished screen time. You can see why. Theirs just not enough screen time, with all the ads. 

Exactly - it is so hard to manage three couples and Raj in the plot. It's no wonder Raj get's thrown into Howard/Bernadette stories so much over the past 4 seasons on and off, while the other two couples are thrown together. 18-19 mins is tricky to manage. 

Yeah it would of flown better back then with 5 characters. Because you could divide plots into two groups. Now its no wonder Raj will never get a full-time girlfriend. They can ever divide screentime into four couples plots. 

So yeah with the amount of screen time, with all the ads. It makes sense why doing stories is hard for all the couples. 

I hope they give us another group episode, season 4's the love car displacement. The only time the whole group went away on a trip. *Sigh* even then, they will probably give screentime to one couple on the trip. At least if everyone was together, I hope they would allow everyone to get screentime, but we know with 18-19 mins, it might not work, but at least with more group plots, it allows everyone to get screen time.