The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

To me, Lenny has been stale for a while. I don't really see the appeal personally, and I wonder what they even have in common with each other. I love them individually, but together I could take them or leave them. That's just me. 

I think Shamy is quirky and interesting and there are a lot of places the writers could go with them because they actually have things in common. I absolutely love the intelligent/scientific banter that happens between them and I think that makes them a really fun couple to watch.

I have been satisfied with the past episodes (as a Shamy shipper) but I definitely think they are neglecting the other characters. And I understand why Lenny shippers might be extremely frustrated. If all of a sudden we got nothing but Lenny growth and absolutely no Shamy, I'd be frustrated. Hopefully the birth of the Howardette baby and the midseason finale will allow the focus to be shifted. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rice sheldon said:

To me, Lenny has been stale for a while. I don't really see the appeal personally, and I wonder what they even have in common with each other. I love them individually, but together I could take them or leave them. That's just me. 

I think Shamy is quirky and interesting and there are a lot of places the writers could go with them because they actually have things in common. I absolutely love the intelligent/scientific banter that happens between them and I think that makes them a really fun couple to watch. 

Lenny might be stale but that's more because of the writing. The Shamy quirkiness ship is in process of setting sail so I hope people who enjoy them take it all in. To me having something in common is boring. I wouldn't be interest in marrying myself. I suppose the banter is okay though the show really isn't about  science anymore. To me Sheldon was more enjoyable by himself but then again the show had to cave into the demographics.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Lenny might be stale but that's more because of the writing. The Shamy quirkiness ship is in process of setting sail so I hope people who enjoy them take it all in. To me having something in common is boring. I wouldn't be interest in marrying myself. I suppose the banter is okay though the show really isn't about  science anymore. To me Sheldon was more enjoyable by himself but then again the show had to cave into the demographics.

Fair enough. No one wants to marry a carbon copy of themselves... (I think that's why Amy slowly became less like Sheldon as time went on.) But I just wonder how Leonard and Penny connect. I agree it's definitely because of the writing, because that's the only way we get to see these characters. Otherwise it's just fanfiction. 

I'm sorry that you genuinely feel like the show has caved, but I find, personally, I enjoy it more than I ever did. I love the sciencey stuff and the humor but I also really love character development, so these kind of growth-heavy plots we have been getting appeal to me. 

As I said, maybe the show will shift midseason. 

• Like 2

That is the appeal of Leonard and Penny to alot of people. I get Shamy's love them because they have so much in common, and they were both virgins e.t.c. That is great. But to say they have nothing in common, or how they connect always make me chuckle. Because the show has prooven out of all the couples. Lenny are the best at connecting, and find communicating pretty easy. Shamy seem to struggle to hold a conversation at times, this is cannon. They seem to throw these ideas about Lenny, that never really connect with on screen. It is quite remarkable the idea of Leonard and Penny. They have no business being together. And they could be with other suitable people. But they are making something ridiclous work. Alot of people can mirror their marrages or parts of their writing. It is so realistically written. I am the same with Shamy though, I like their characters. But I can take or leave them as a couple. I guess I find Lenny more beleivable as a couple, then Shamy. But that is just me. 

Edited by 3ku11

When i met my wife the only thing we had in common was that she was a bar tender and i drank we were married a month later and the marriage lasted 27 years till she past away

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 9

The problem in writing for Lenny, is that they are two characters who are rather plain/boring. Especially Leonard.

Amy and Sheldon still have their quirks, both alone and together.
For them all is still new regarding living together.

And for the Shamy wedding, that won't be soon anyway.
In a few episode Howardette's baby will burst on the scene, so the wedding (and aftermath) for Shamy will be close to the end of the show.

• Like 1

I don't remember the name of the espiode but do remember amy telling leonard that her and sheldon sat in a room for 6 hours and didn't speak to each other the whole sounds pretty exciting to me

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Chiany said:

The problem in writing for Lenny, is that they are two characters who are rather plain/boring. Especially Leonard.

I could say the same about Sheldon and Amy.

8 minutes ago, Chiany said:

Amy and Sheldon still have their quirks, both alone and together.
For them all is still new regarding living together.

I can't totally disagree with your assessment of Lenny. The writers  abandoned Penny's life outside the group and they also abandoned Penny's fear of living with Leonard. I would argue in regards to Leonard he has become more boring especially the last 2-3 seasons. This too had become much more in the last 1.5 years when Lenny had become Sheldon's adopted parents. jMO but I think Shamys quirks  are a bit overdone. In regards to living together Shamy has just as much experience living alone as Lenny. when they moved to 4b Lenny was finally living alone. Shouldn't that be just as big a story?

3 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I would argue that that's a matter of opinion. 

True. Quirky doesn't mean exciting.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I don't remember the name of the espiode but do remember amy telling leonard that her and sheldon sat in a room for 6 hours and didn't speak to each other the whole sounds pretty exciting to me

That was called parallel play and they're even better at it than toddlers;-) Also according to Sheldon it was a magical evening lol. Btw there's lots of things you can do without talking, wink wink:-)

• Like 3

That was called parallel play and they're even better at it than toddlers;-) Also according to Sheldon it was a magical evening lol. Btw there's lots of things you can do without talking, wink wink:-)

The way amy spoke about it i don't think she thought it was magical

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Well yes the show has prooven they suck at writing married couples lol. Look at what they did to Lenny the moment they got engaged in 7x23.

The writers didn't write well at all Lenny as an engaged and then as a married couple, that's very true. But they are writing Shamy as a "married" couple pretty well. There is no  difference from a creative PoV in writing a married couple or a couple living together, apart  that for the living together couple you don't need to write an episode with the actual wedding ceremony. The writers gave us Shamy  learning how to live together, getting used to each other quirks and making adjustments and compromises to make it work. That's what you expect for a newly married couple to happen. Now, maybe that's not your cup of tea, but IMO the writers nailed it for Shamy.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

IMO the writers nailed it for Shamy.

And completely ignored it for Lenny, more evidence of the SHamy bias of TPTB

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

The writers didn't write well at all Lenny as an engaged and then as a married couple, that's very true. But they are writing Shamy as a "married" couple pretty well. There is no  difference from a creative PoV in writing a married couple or a couple living together, apart  that for the living together couple you don't need to write an episode with the actual wedding ceremony. The writers gave us Shamy  learning how to live together, getting used to each other quirks and making adjustments and compromises to make it work. That's what you expect for a newly married couple to happen. Now, maybe that's not your cup of tea, but IMO the writers nailed it for Shamy.

Shamy are not married though. Why did they nail it for Shamy, but failed for Lenny? That seems I agree ton of bias from the TPTB. They are like a Father clearly picking their favorite haha. 

• Like 1

I think that what is happening about shamy relationship is what should have happened to lenny's. I mean If the official lenny wedding ceremony might have happened near the end of the show and they have been living together adjusting  to each other maybe writers would be not so stucked about developing good stories for them. The nerd got the girl next door and in the end married her and had beautiful  and smart babies, you know. It would be a great end. 

It was a good move to put shamy engagement ring waiting for a while. However, the lenny's relationhip is great, it is only a question  of taking  their time to develop it more, it has so many potencial than they give advices to their besfriends week after week.

We are reaching the midle of the season..I believe the second part would be more about lenny. After all they are two of three main characters of the show.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

Actually it is a Sheldon bias amy is usually little more than a reactive prop for him, that's why I capitalize the SH in SHamy we see little about amy "dealing" with these issues it's always Sheldon centered

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 3ku11 said:

Shamy are not married though. Why did they nail it for Shamy, but failed for Lenny? That seems I agree ton of bias from the TPTB. They are like a Father clearly picking their favorite haha. 

You know...for some people there is no actual difference between being married or living together in a committed relationship. But, just to avoid philosophical and moral discussions, I've specified that from a creative PoV the writers are depicting with Shamy what should happen when you write a newly married couple starting living together. For sure, if Shamy get married while the show is still on, the writers won't repeat this whole process for them, they will hopefully find something else. It's easier IMO for them than for Lenny due to their quirks...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

We are reaching the midle of the season..I believe the second part would be more about lenny. After all they are two of three main characters of the show.

People have said that for the last 3 seasons and it never happened so I have no faith it will this year either

The only Lenny focus I can imagine we might see this season is Penny gets pregnant and Leonard gets a job offer in 10/23 and we wave goodbye as they move away in 10/24. 

The last negotiation was before season 7 and actually delayed filming, I think they knew at that time dropping Lenny would kill the golden goose so they have been minimizing Lenny ever since so this time they are in a position of strength if they want to revamp the show around their perceived tentpole star

Edited by JE7
  • Like 5

Here's the thing, the advantage that the writers have with Shamy is that they were introduced much later in the series. Lenny have been there since the Pilot, that's 10 seasons now. There's still room for Shamy stories now. I doubt that would be the case in, say, season 12 or 13 (not that TBBT will ever get there). 

I know people are tired of the Friends comparisons, but it was lightyears ahead of TBBT in terms of giving each character interesting storylines in 22 minutes. And they had 6 main characters. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Here's the thing, the advantage that the writers have with Shamy is that they were introduced much later in the series. Lenny have been there since the Pilot, that's 10 seasons now. There's still room for Shamy stories now. I doubt that would be the case in, say, season 12 or 13 (not that TBBT will ever get there). 

I know people are tired of the Friends comparisons, but it was lightyears ahead of TBBT in terms of giving each character interesting storylines in 22 minutes. And they had 6 main characters. 

True Friends is my fav sitcom of all time though haha. Chandler and Rachel broke out, but it was an ensemble to the end. Part of why the characters all got shared stories, and screen time. Is traditonally from 1994-2004. Their was 24 mins of screen time. Their is so many ads on tv these days tbh. TBBT on CBS as a runtime sitcom gets 18-19 mins. i do agree with the notion Lenny have existed since the pilot. Shamy came around Season 4. But in terms of growth, they grew Lenny in Season 6 tremendosuley. But still managed to keep it being an ensemble. Problem is the past two seasons, they have got the balance all wrong. I do agree with the fact too, with two million between Johnny and Kaley. Their amount of work does not meet their salaries. So I kinda agree, they could end TBBT this season. And produce a less expensive produced Sheldon Show. Cut to the chase huh, Big Bang I well hope you well become the unique shows you once were. It is why I keep watching. But your run has been amazing. Don't get me wrong don't think im crapping on Shamy, I do like everyone here, despite it getting heated at times lol. I am just saying this show has a huge broad audience, so don't expect everyone to be happy about the direction the show is heading. Not you No Regrets, just a general statement. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Here's the thing, the advantage that the writers have with Shamy is that they were introduced much later in the series. Lenny have been there since the Pilot, that's 10 seasons now. There's still room for Shamy stories now. 

Then the writers focusing on Shamy and ignoring Lenny now is a rational and reasonable choice, since like you suggest here, there's simply no room for Lenny stories now as they were introduced since season one. 

Edited by camelliayao

Just now, camelliayao said:

Then the writers focusing on Shamy and ignoring Lenny now is a rational and reasonable choice, since like you suggest here, there's simply no room for Lenny stories now as they were introduced since season one. 

By stories I mean ongoing story arcs (such as them adjusting to the new LA). Lenny being around since season 1 is absolutely no excuse for them to just sit around and do nothing. 

• Like 8