Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Then the writers focusing on Shamy and ignoring Lenny now is a rational and reasonable choice, since like you suggest here, there's simply no room for Lenny stories now as they were introduced since season one. 

 

Not really they have ignored the rest of the show and the other characters too. It has been established it is possible to grow Shamy but still write interesting stories for the other characters. TPTB just choose not to clearly. Balance, or lack of is the point here. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Lenny is that Penny was first the straight gal to all the nerdy guys and within that group Leonard was the straight guy to Sheldon's eccentricities and now together they are the... well... straight couple to Shamy's quirkiness. But this is a show about quirky nerds and when you put the most normal people of them together then you need to figure out a dynamic that still keeps them with the show's comedy premise.

I wish they would let Leonard be a bit more his nerdy self but for some stupid reasons the writers decided Penny needs to smother that side of him with eye rolling and complaints. He isn't even allowed to have a mini batman key-chain!? Jeez! I'm all for finding compromises so that she feels more at home but her unapologetic anti-nerd stance is bugging me being a nerd myself.

And as @mirs1 said: the marriage license doesn't really make that much difference so the writers kinda missed the train to do all those possible "adjusting to live with each other" stories with them back in S8 or even S9. The redecoration is the only way to make it happen now which is why I desperately want that storyline (and we've gotten a bit of that already) because it would be finally something for them. I'm not holding my breath that it will be anything meaty but as of now I'll take any crumb I get.

The first half of S10 certainly belongs to Shamy and Howardette with both couples having a bit of a deadline to deal with so that's understandable to some extend. The imbalance is still frustrating and I can only hope things will balance out in the second half.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

By stories I mean ongoing story arcs (such as them adjusting to the new LA). Lenny being around since season 1 is absolutely no excuse for them to just sit around and do nothing. 

They didn't just sit around and do nothing. They had their wedding redo, they danced, they had arguments about their room decoration, they went to a comic con. They does nothing in one episode and that erases everything?

And I've seen people complain about Lenny never having any "in depths" stories these days. That perfectly matches your theory. Because those stories have happened.

17 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Not really they have ignored the rest of the show and the other characters too. It has been established it is possible to grow Shamy but still write interesting stories for the other characters. TPTB just choose not to clearly. Balance, or lack of is the point here. 

I don't think Howardette are being ignored. They have good storylines most of the time. 

But let's just say you're right. TPTB just choose not to writer Lenny even if they could. And why is that? Because they just hate Lenny or Kaley& Johnny? I don't think so.

Because the audience now prefer more Sheldon (or Shamy) to more Lenny? That's a good enough explanation to me. But it seems Lenny fans don't agree. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

They didn't just sit around and do nothing. They had their wedding redo, they danced, they had arguments about their room decoration, they went to a comic con. They does nothing in one episode and that erases everything?

And I've seen people complain about Lenny never having any "in depths" stories these days. That perfectly matches your theory. Because those stories have happened.

I don't mind Leonard and Penny not being in scenes together. Yes, I do mind however if they sit around and do nothing for an entire episode. If Sheldon and Amy spent several episodes just reacting to stuff that Leonard and/or Penny did, I very much doubt that you guys would be too happy with that. It's an ensemble, they get paid $1 million, let them ACT. And by "act" I don't mean stupid dances in their underwear.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I don't mind Leonard and Penny not being in scenes together. Yes, I do mind however if they sit around and do nothing for an entire episode. If Sheldon and Amy spent several episodes just reacting to stuff that Leonard and/or Penny did, I very much doubt that you guys would be too happy with that. It's an ensemble, they get paid $1 million, let them ACT. And by "act" I don't mean stupid dances in their underwear.

Depends on the reactions cause I think that could be hilarious. LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I don't mind Leonard and Penny not being in scenes together. Yes, I do mind however if they sit around and do nothing for an entire episode. If Sheldon and Amy spent several episodes just reacting to stuff that Leonard and/or Penny did, I very much doubt that you guys would be too happy with that. It's an ensemble, they get paid $1 million, let them ACT. And by "act" I don't mean stupid dances in their underwear.

Actually I would be happy to see them sit back with some minor plots for a few episodes and see Lenny getting something meatier on the storyline front. Shamy might be my ship but I care for all these characters and the show itself. Even Raj though that dating two women storyline almost destroyed my support for him...

Going back to a previous point are there actually people who weren't happy with 10.7 and the Lenny storyline? Penny hiding his stuff (though I would agree a little with @April perhaps it went a bit too far lol), the Leonard bedroom scenes when he talks it through with her and gives her a power ranger, decorating their bedroom, the sex dungeon  which was a Sheldon dream but a gift to Lenny shippers, fan fic writers and the talented artists on this forum and elsewhere. All were very funny and great scenes imo.

10.7 proved that they can still write great stuff for everyone on the show, they can still keep it an ensemble and it works.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, April said:

Exactly my point. The issue with the "straight guy vs. eccentric guy" setting in comedy is that the eccentric guy gets all the wacky action while the straight guy's job is to react to whatever nonsense is going on this week. Lenny are two straight guy characters and coupling them up has primarily led to even more "reacting" (which, no doubt, Johnny and Kaley have mastered to perfection).

But the writers failed to make that work within the Lenny relationship. That kinda dynamic clicked better in earlier seasons when Penny was the straight gal to the guys' nerdiness in general - including Leonard's. And even when Penny had more of her own edges with her naive dream of becoming a star and at the same time being a bit of a tomboy and all that. But Leonard has mellowed out quite a bit and doesn't assert himself with his eccentric sides, and Penny has grown out of her old dream and hasn't had much use for her tomboyish qualities lately (one of my fave Penny moments like that is always Fish Guts with her messy look at the door when the guys ask her and then her showing them how to gut a fish <3).

So there is potential there for stories but the writers sadly don't use the couple to their full potential and I fear it's in part because the characters have been stuck in their "reaction" job for such a long time now. I can only hope that now that Sheldon is out of the apartment it'll challenge the writers to become more creative.

I agree!

cheers2.gif

..btw, I’m the older guy on this scenario. :shy:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we find out more about the recent taping next week. I am especially interested to see if this Raj/Isabella thing is actually going somewhere or not. There doesn't appear to be any mention of it again in the TR for tonight's episode, in fact Raj saying once again he is jealous of the H&B and L&P relationships perhaps doesn't bode that well...

I am going to be super disappointed if the Isabella storyline was a one off episode kind of deal here.

 

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Hope we find out more about the recent taping next week. I am especially interested to see if this Raj/Isabella thing is actually going somewhere or not. There doesn't appear to be any mention of it again in the TR for tonight's episode, in fact Raj saying once again he is jealous of the H&B and L&P relationships perhaps doesn't bode that well...

I am going to be super disappointed if the Isabella storyline was a one off episode kind of deal here.

Totally agree. That episode was the first time in a long time that I actually liked Raj's storyline. I liked Isabella, she seemed nice and very down to earth. Unfortunately I don't have high hopes of seeing her again. That's just the problem with guest stars. You know they'll probably be gone after at least a few episodes. 

Too bad we know nothing about the latest episode, although I do find the title promising.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think end of day we love the show. No matter if your a Shipper, Science fan, comedy fan. Just want some balance within the characters. Be more creative basically. Their are still many stories the show could tell. So show get to it lol. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Let's make this clear.  If someone dislikes part's of the show,, there are entitled to post about their dislike.  If you wish to give what you think are counter examples, feel free. What is not allowed, is commenting or complaining about others posts, or posters. 

if you don't like a post, stick to comments about the show. Stay away from comments about other posters or their posts.  If you think a post violates our rules. Report it, don't answer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think Lenny still is pretty popular with the audience.

 Penny/Kaley was nominated to people choice awards, I mean some of her votes had to come from people watching the show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lagernisse said:

i think Lenny still is pretty popular with the audience.

 Penny/Kaley was nominated to people choice awards, I mean some of her votes had to come from people watching the show.

I think so too. Btw, to the casual viewer, I'd venture to say mostly everything is fine, save for the unfunny episodes. I believe that the people who notice the decrease in the quality of writing (IMO) more are people who have watched it since the first episode. Those of us in that boat do have something to compare it to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think Season Ten has been better for the ensemble on average than Season Nine and Season Eight.

a ) I like the way Bernie's pregnancy is being handled.

b ) Howardette are awfully cute together.

c ) Ugh, Raj's Ughness has been largely dialled back and in the most recent episode he has been called on some of his faults.

d ) The show's at least sporadically remembered that Ladies Can Science, Too, which is nice.

e ) Prayers/blood sacrifices/Rohypnol in Chuck Lorre's drink have had enough effect that the Marriage of Three seems to be ending in an amicable divorce.

f ) Sheldon and Amy both seem to be recovering a nice eccentric equilibrium, which is more than nice. And at least in part this is due to Amy's also being given plots with the girls, rather than being stuck in Straight Man Hell with Sheldon, as too often happened in Season Nine.

Which, yes, leaves Lenny. Or rather, it leaves Leonard, because Penny gets to go off and have fun with the girls. And I think that the show is really fucking up with Leonard, and has been fucking up for a long, long time. I miss the sweet idealist who corralled his friends into social projects. I miss the happy fellow who caterwauled while Sheldon looked askance at him. I never liked Insecure Leonard. I never liked 'Please don't leave me, Penny' Leonard. And for the love of God, I want to bitch-slap 'Hey, Central Casting Nerds who are disrespecting and objectifying my wife, gather 'round and let us objectify her together' Leonard. Fuck that guy. On the other hand, 'let me reach out to my bewildered and hurting friend' Leonard? 'Seamlessly switching into Klingon' Leonard? That Leonard is a delight. I want to pinch his cheeks and I would happily accept a Pink Power Ranger from him. And I am totally rooting for him to move some of his stuff back into the Hot Pink Palace that seems to be his current bedroom.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, vonmar said:

 

From the position of the four chairs, It looks like Kunal, Kevin, Simon and Melissa are rehearsing a car scene and then Kaley and Jim joined them  just for the pic. Are Stuart and Raj accompanying Howardette to the hospital since the baby is coming?

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waitaminute: Are Jim and Melissa wearing the same kind of plaid shirt??? LMAO

#importantdetails #vivelaplaid

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, April said:

Depends on the reactions cause I think that could be hilarious. LOL

Bring it on ! I'd love to see Shamy reacting to something the others did.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vonmar said:

 

Not exactly a Squad, Johnny is missing haha. The Ross Gellar of this show heh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Not exactly a Squad, Johnny is missing haha. The Ross Gellar of this show heh. 

Johnny and Mayim are missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I actually think Season Ten has been better for the ensemble on average than Season Nine and Season Eight.

a ) I like the way Bernie's pregnancy is being handled.

b ) Howardette are awfully cute together.

c ) Ugh, Raj's Ughness has been largely dialled back and in the most recent episode he has been called on some of his faults.

d ) The show's at least sporadically remembered that Ladies Can Science, Too, which is nice.

e ) Prayers/blood sacrifices/Rohypnol in Chuck Lorre's drink have had enough effect that the Marriage of Three seems to be ending in an amicable divorce.

f ) Sheldon and Amy both seem to be recovering a nice eccentric equilibrium, which is more than nice. And at least in part this is due to Amy's also being given plots with the girls, rather than being stuck in Straight Man Hell with Sheldon, as too often happened in Season Nine.

Which, yes, leaves Lenny. Or rather, it leaves Leonard, because Penny gets to go off and have fun with the girls. And I think that the show is really fucking up with Leonard, and has been fucking up for a long, long time. I miss the sweet idealist who corralled his friends into social projects. I miss the happy fellow who caterwauled while Sheldon looked askance at him. I never liked Insecure Leonard. I never liked 'Please don't leave me, Penny' Leonard. And for the love of God, I want to bitch-slap 'Hey, Central Casting Nerds who are disrespecting and objectifying my wife, gather 'round and let us objectify her together' Leonard. Fuck that guy. On the other hand, 'let me reach out to my bewildered and hurting friend' Leonard? 'Seamlessly switching into Klingon' Leonard? That Leonard is a delight. I want to pinch his cheeks and I would happily accept a Pink Power Ranger from him. And I am totally rooting for him to move some of his stuff back into the Hot Pink Palace that seems to be his current bedroom.

I agree completly. But to be fair maybe the change of Leonard, is married Leonard. His comment about "I am married, I don't have to be attractive". Screams to me, I don't think he has given up, nor he has he settled in his own life. For the first time in his life, he seems to feel safe in his own skin. So your seeing this quiet confident Leonard in his own life, you may not have seen in the past. I do miss those parts of Leonard too, but I Think their is an explanation for it. The "Don't leave me Penny" Leonard. "The root for my friends" Leonard. They have almost been packaged away. And what we have now is a Leonard who has embraced who he truley is, if that makes sense. I guess his background was he lacked love and comfort from his mother. That is where maybe some of his needy greedy baby traits came from. Now I Feel he is just ready to drive into the sunet. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.