The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Now THIS episode is filler, if you like. Contributed nothing to either plot or character, and utterly unmoored from continuity. Remove Amy's (funny) line about coitus and 'why? Why? Oh, that's why', and if I'm not mistaken this episode could have taken place at any point after Bert's introduction.

Can we please, please, please stop goosing Sheldon in the career/ego for a little while? I get that he's a jackass, but at this point it just seems like anti-intellectual bullying: Bringing the egghead down a peg or five. Not least since everyone else ministers to his fee-fees anyway. What is the narrative benefit to this?

Ugh, Howard. Simon Helberg is a Damn Treasure, but WTF. I did enjoy Raj and Bernie's horror, though. But....is this the entire joke? Ouf.

I liked Penny's 'it's like scrolling through emojis on my phone' line. And a piercing meta-indictment of how programmatic and cartoonish the jealousy plotline was?

I also liked cuoco's delivery of 'oo!oo!angry?', with Leonard's 'what are you doing?', when Sheldon went into his rant about how telling angry people not to be angry makes them angrier (which, by the way, is nothing but the truth). But - er - correct me if i am wrong, but Penny isn't really the sort of person to get swept up by the desire to be Teacher's Pet? And in general Penny tends not to be swept up in Sheldon's nonsense. She gets swept up in AMY'S nonsense, on occasion, but is usually the friendly bucket of water in the face of Sheldon's little transports of nervous excitement. This felt much more like a Raj thing to say.

Anyway, whatever.

• Like 9

Yeah I have to agree, if their ever was an episode that was the very definition of filler, it is this one. Sure got some funny lines. And their maybe alot out their who enjoy Sheldon centric episodes. Then again, their are alot who don't, clearly haha. But in terms of changing anything in regards to plot line, character, or any form of continuity. This episode did not offer anything new. Lacked any form of creativity. Could of been placed in any random episode in Season 6 or 7. Just a sublet of The Proton Transmogrification. Sheldon learns another exsistensial lesson. Yeah Sheldon is a jackass. We get it. Sheldon has an ego, and does not like not being the centre of attention with his career. While were at it neither does Leonard. But we don't see him making a stink do we. This is no different to 6x24 The Bon Voyage Reaction when Sheldon got jealous over Leonard working on a Hawking Expedition. And Penny told him to be proud of your friend. So yeah a bit weird Penny wanted to be Teacher's Pet. But then again a bit of continuity, with Leonard's reaction. He has always been the one to tell Penny are you mad?!?! lol. So yeah this was yeah whatever. I would like a OMG OMG, I am peeing with laughter, at some point. But alas. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

Not a big fan of the term 'filler' but if you are saying that this episode is more of a 'standalone' episode with it not having real impact on anything going forward then yes I think that would be correct. I think it made sense that they would have a change of pace episode after all the focus on the living arrangements and the Howardette pregenancy so this is what they came up with.

I guess what I enjoyed most was some of the snarky banter dialogue that was present in this episode especially Amy who seems to be on fire this season. For a show about a group of friends that love each other but also love taking the piss out of each other or having some banter she is more than holding her own this season which is great to see. Penny must be proud lol.

The other thing that I found funny but maybe I shouldn't because I know it was offensive and in poor taste was the Howard/Hawking remote control toy. I don't miss the creepy offensive old Howard that much but I don't mind seeing glimpses of it every so often which the writers IMO have done a great job with to date. If this was real life then I wouldn't probably have the same reaction to the toy, but it's a tv show and because of escapism I found it funny.

Seeing them in 4A as a group always make me smile and I really enjoy seeing it though it is becoming rarer and rarer. The whole debate about the hair was funny, though I am on Penny's side on this lol.

It wasn't a great episode especially if you are comparing it to recent ones like 10.7 which was on another level or two entirely but I don't think it was that bad. Sure it repeated a lot of old themes but it did have some funny moments in it, I found it entertaining enough and that's good enough for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Not a big fan of the term 'filler' but if you are saying that this episode is more of a 'standalone' episode with it not having real impact on anything going forward then yes I think that would be correct. I think it made sense that they would have a change of pace episode after all the focus on the living arrangements and the Howardette pregenancy so this is what they came up with.

I guess what I enjoyed most was some of the snarky banter dialogue that was present in this episode especially Amy who seems to be on fire this season. For a show about a group of friends that love each other but also love taking the piss out of each other or having some banter she is more than holding her own this season which is great to see. Penny must be proud lol.

The other thing that I found funny but maybe I shouldn't because I know it was offensive and in poor taste was the Howard/Hawking remote control toy. I don't miss the creepy offensive old Howard that much but I don't mind seeing glimpses of it every so often which the writers IMO have done a great job with to date. If this was real life then I wouldn't probably have the same reaction to the toy, but it's a tv show and because of escapism I found it funny.

Seeing them in 4A as a group always make me smile and I really enjoy seeing it though it is becoming rarer and rarer. The whole debate about the hair was funny, though I am on Penny's side on this lol.

It wasn't a great episode especially if you are comparing it to recent ones like 10.7 which was on another level or two entirely but I don't think it was that bad. Sure it repeated a lot of old themes but it did have some funny moments in it, I found it entertaining enough and that's good enough for me.

Her hair was awful we all know that just get that out of the way lol.

My problem was not the episode was bad, it was okay, and had funny moments. Or old themes, or the term filler. Was that it offered nothing creatively speaking. It was a disposable episode, you could of seen in any random episode 3-4 seasons ago. I would like to think the show has moved past that. Or it is just simply they have ran out of ideas, so they are recycling old stories. Does not mean the old story is not funny, but does not change it's lack of creativity. JMO.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

I'm not opposed to short hair on women. Why, I used to rock a very fetching bowl cut back in the day.* but Cuoco's particular pixie cut just didn't work for her, i think. It was too boxy, or the fringe was too long, something. The AV Club dubbed it a 'cool Mom' hairdo, and i think that criticism is harsh but fair.

* it was not fetching, unless you have a Jeanne d'Arc fetish. I don't know what I was thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veejay said:

Well, sometimes I enjoy small pieces by their own. :shy:

10.gif

There were only tree words but they filled the screen, lol!! :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I'm not opposed to short hair on women. Why, I used to rock a very fetching bowl cut back in the day.* but Cuoco's particular pixie cut just didn't work for her, i think. It was too boxy, or the fringe was too long, something. The AV Club dubbed it a 'cool Mom' hairdo, and i think that criticism is harsh but fair.

* it was not fetching, unless you have a Jeanne d'Arc fetish. I don't know what I was thinking.

I would agree I didn't like the pixie cut that much and I don't think it really suited her, but when it grew out a little but still short I liked it. There is something about a bob style haircut... Ahem back on topic lol

BTW do we think that the Raj/Isabella thing is dead after one episode? We know nothing about the next episode but why would Raj say what he did if he was happy on that front?

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

I actually LOVED the scene about Kaley's hair.  It was an elephant in the room sorta and kudos for Kaley sorta admitting it was a mistake.  And even if some like it, she was ripped in the press about it and I know my husband who idolizes her thought her "hotness" did kinda go away with the short hair (extreme short).   I just enjoyed that sorta throwback scene. 

Overall this episode is a filler to me BUT enjoyable.  No harm/no fowl. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jonny said:

BTW do we think that the Raj/Isabella thing is dead after one episode? We know nothing about the next episode but why would Raj say what he did if he was happy on that front?

....i think you're giving this episode far too much credit for thoughtfulness or continuity.

not that I know whether Isabella will be back. Given the show's tender regard for Raj's development, it's anybody's guess.

Oh, one other thing that bugged me about the episode: Amy confessed to envying Penny's looks before they slagged off Penny's haircut. Now, I know they were just setting up the jokes about poor Cuoco's hairdo. But just...that was yet another fragrant monkey turd left on my doorstep by Season Seven (and its spiritual successor, Season Nine): That the previously arrogant, confident Amy was randomly jealous of Penny - her ability to manage Sheldon and now apparently her looks. Ouf. Female friendships are not hotbeds of jealousy and insecurity, show. Leave PAmy alone. They're talking their own language and going to parties and giving each other shit about their smarts or their ability to lie. You were doing SO well.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, wowbagger said:

....i think you're giving this episode far too much credit for thoughtfulness or continuity.

not that I know whether Isabella will be back. Given the show's tender regard for Raj's development, it's anybody's guess.

Oh, one other thing that bugged me about the episode: Amy confessed to envying Penny's looks before they slagged off Penny's haircut. Now, I know they were just setting up the jokes about poor Cuoco's hairdo. But just...that was yet another fragrant monkey turd left on my doorstep by Season Seven (and its spiritual successor, Season Nine): That the previously arrogant, confident Amy was randomly jealous of Penny - her ability to manage Sheldon and now apparently her looks. Ouf. Female friendships are not hotbeds of jealousy and insecurity, show. Leave PAmy alone. They're talking their own language and going to parties and giving each other shit about their smarts or their ability to lie. You were doing SO well.

See I viewed it completely differently.  I didn't see it as a setback, I appreciated how equal their friendship/relationship is and its open & honest and its not just Amy idolizing Penny like years past...you now have a more confident Amy pointing out that even Penny has her flaws too.  And it was on the heels of Raj's slight dig indirectly towards Shamy.  And on something everyone in the room agreed with.  Ok to knock Penny down a little too (and actually like I said above Kudos to Kaley shows she can laugh at herself)

And as a female with tons of friends its not a hotbed of jealousy but in years past Amy probably WAS very jealous of Penny so that's incrediably believable.  She did say she "used to" aka not anymore since Amy has grown in her own self. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kerrycec03 said:

See I viewed it completely differently.  I didn't see it as a setback, I appreciated how equal their friendship/relationship is and its open & honest and its not just Amy idolizing Penny like years past...you now have a more confident Amy pointing out that even Penny has her flaws too.  And it was on the heels of Raj's slight dig indirectly towards Shamy.  And on something everyone in the room agreed with.  Ok to knock Penny down a little too (and actually like I said above Kudos to Kaley shows she can laugh at herself)

And as a female with tons of friends its not a hotbed of jealousy but in years past Amy probably WAS very jealous of Penny so that's incrediably believable.  She did say she "used to" aka not anymore since Amy has grown in her own self. 

Agree. Especially since Amy is very open about her jealousy. She talks about it and then let it go. Her jealousy doesn't impact her friendship with Penny. That is a true virtue IMO.

Now this may sound polically incorrect because in a perfect world, all girls are supposed to stick together and have each other's back blah blah blah. But the reality is (at least according to my observations), a lot of friendships between girls can be ruined by jealousy. There're people who get jealous but instead of overcoming it, they just let it get worse. In extreme circumstances, jealousy can even turn into hatred. Friends grow apart because of it.

As a girl, I admire Amy's attitude. She gets jealous sometimes, because that's what humans do. But she's also smart enough to not be blinded by it. She opens up about her jealousy and she never lets jealousy get in the way of her friendship with Penny. She used to admire Penny. Now she still admires her but in a more healthy way.

In addition to that, she's loyal, kind and warm-hearted. She's very analytical so usually she gives good advices. And I've noticed that most of the time, she's among the first ones to comfort her friends when they're in trouble. She's able to learn things and become a better person from friendships. I used to think Amy is weird back in season 4. Now I wish I were friends with her.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Agree. Especially since Amy is very open about her jealousy. She talks about it and then let it go. Her jealousy doesn't impact her friendship with Penny. That is a true virtue IMO.

Now this may sound polically incorrect because in a perfect world, all girls are supposed to stick together and have each other's back blah blah blah. But the reality is (at least according to my observations), a lot of friendships between girls can be ruined by jealousy. There're people who get jealous but instead of overcoming it, they just let it get worse. In extreme circumstances, jealousy can even turn into hatred. Friends grow apart because of it.

As a girl, I admire Amy's attitude. She gets jealous sometimes, because that's what humans do. But she's also smart enough to not be blinded by it. She opens up about her jealousy and she never lets jealousy get in the way of her friendship with Penny. She used to admire Penny. Now she still admires her but in a more healthy way.

In addition to that, she's loyal, kind and warm-hearted. She's very analytical so usually she gives good advices. And I've noticed that most of the time, she's among the first ones to comfort her friends when they're in trouble. She's able to learn things and become a better person from friendships. I used to think Amy is weird back in season 4. Now I wish I were friends with her.

Are we overthinking this?

g_63.gif

…of course, it also gives the fun behind it. :shy:

• Like 3

Overthinking is what makes being here so addictive! We think about something and have to share here with everyone! :)

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Overthinking is what makes being here so addictive! We think about something and have to share here with everyone! :)

To quote Raji: "You don't have to, you should want to." :icon_wink:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kerrycec03 said:

Oh, I absolutely agree that we're not meant to think that Amy is jealous of Penny anymore. But I always appreciated that we could enjoy Shenny, PAmy and Shelnard, without any BS about jealousy. Which is as it should be! In real life, people have deep friendships with people of the opposite gender, and their partners manage to be genuinely cool with it.

Right up until Season 7, Whatever the One Was With the Psychic, when suddenly Amy was a little bit jealous of Penny's influence over Sheldon. And then nothing on that subject, including a Season Eight episode where Amy and Leonard are happily running off having their own adventures while Sheldon and Penny are gazing into each other's eyes and exchanging secrets. And so it goes up until that godawful Season Nine GoT viewing party episode, where suddenly not only Amy but Leonard are throwing hissies about Sheldon and Penny's Magical Speshul Bond. 

it was only those two episodes, and I can - and do - choose to ignore them, since the body of the evidence suggests that Amy and Leonard actually behave like functioning adults in the twenty-first century and are not enormous insecure jerks about their partners' surrogate siblings. And I was still comforted with the thought that the bulk of the on-screen evidence suggested that Amy was happy and confident in her own skin - even if said skin was sheathed in clothes Miss Marple would have deemed 'a little aging, dear'. Amy admired Penny, yes. Inappropriately and homoerotically. But envy? Amy's never suggested on-screen that she thinks she's anything but Da Bomb, even if the show (increasingly mean-spiritedly in Season Nine) made repeated references to her pensioner's wardrobe or her lycanthropic hirsutism. But no. Apparently, for the sake of one (not even that bloody funny) joke about poor Kaley Cuoco's Bad Hair Season, suddenly Amy envied Penny's beauty. For the sake of one joke, the show is willing to revert to exhausted stereotypes about the bespectacled wallflower wistfully touching the Prom Queen's shiny hair or whatever. Eish. 

Ah well. If it's not repeated, it's easy to ignore. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I'm guessing that this is from this past Tuesday's taping...

Looks more Jim Ignatowski than Dr. Brown!!!

4 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I'm guessing that this is from this past Tuesday's taping...

OMG! He's really the landlord!!!

• Like 5