[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

Truth be told I am more into Amy and the Amy part of Shamy than the Sheldon part. Though Sheldon has grown on me a lot over the years, early era Sheldon either annoyed me one week or made me feel so desperately sorry for him that I couldn't enjoy watching his character that much. I felt so sorry for the guy and was hoping for something that I could root for and of course that happened when they introduced Amy.

But I am so happy where they both are right now and the evolution of pretty much all the characters. Now if they could just fix Raj and evolve him for the better then it would be perfect.

About Raj might be more difficult than it was for Sheldon imo. Because since Amy was introduced to the show , the writers have really included her in the group and before things started to go slowly to be  for shamy "more than friends ", Sheldon started to be included in potencial situations that would change his living in his own bubble, even when he was in pure denial about the influence of Amy in his daily life.

Raj had so many failed storylines by now that sadly I think it would need a miracle for him but I like to be surprised and I hope the writers can do it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

That's exactly where the inconsistency comes from. Actually people on the Shamy forum (including me) tried to find an explanation for this and shortly speculated that maybe Shamy had been doing it since Opening Night because of that "off the table" line, since, you know, there's no need to put coitus "off the table" if it was never "on the table". But then the writers made sure in the following episode that Shamy only did once. So...yeah, no explanations, just inconsistency.

It's funny thinking back now. The writers did better with the Lenny 1.0 IMO. They both eagerly waited for the first time and both were disappointed. I can understand that. Then they sort of rethought the situation and things worked out after that.  With Shamy the first time was wonderful but then it didn't happen again for a year. The " off the table" line was confusing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Truth be told I am more into Amy and the Amy part of Shamy than the Sheldon part. Though Sheldon has grown on me a lot over the years, early era Sheldon either annoyed me one week or made me feel so desperately sorry for him that I couldn't enjoy watching his character that much. I felt so sorry for the guy and was hoping for something that I could root for and of course that happened when they introduced Amy.

But I am so happy where they both are right now and the evolution of pretty much all the characters. Now if they could just fix Raj and evolve him for the better then it would be perfect.

Raj I think is the most neglected character in the show. I dislike him with a passion. He is inherently selfish, sexist, and dishonest. I think the chatacter needs therapy. He is the quintessential hypocrite under the nice guy facade. Howard was like that in the beginning, but his character evolved emotionally to some extent. Raj, apart from being able to talk to women, has shown no progress. For someone who claims to be passionately in love with all the women he dates (and betrays), in my opinion he is incapable of loving anyone but himself. The writers keep making him worse. Though I did like the storyline with the cleaning lady, it could be a way for him to redeem himself. 

• Like 3

I don't see how the "off the table" line can be confusing. She was reassuring Sheldon that she did not have an ulterior motive behind the "experiment" of living together. He knows she's tried to trick/manipulate him before, but since she comes out and says this, he will take her at her word.

The funnier thing would have been for him to try to get things going one night and she stops him reminding him they agreed sex was off the table. Not because she doesn't want to, but to maintain her integrity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

It's funny thinking back now. The writers did better with the Lenny 1.0 IMO. They both eagerly waited for the first time and both were disappointed. I can understand that. Then they sort of rethought the situation and things worked out after that.  With Shamy the first time was wonderful but then it didn't happen again for a year. The " off the table" line was confusing.

I think it's no use comparing Lenny's first time and Shamy's, since they're very, very different people. It will be very OOC to give Lenny's storyline to Shamy and vice versa. 

As for "off the table" line, I think it has something to do with the fact that the writers initially wanted Shamy to have sex in 1004 (if I recall correctly, I think Mayim said that in one of her interviews.) Then they changed it at table reading or something? Thus the writers had to think of a reason in a short time that can "justify" Shamy not having sex despite sleeping in the same bed. And it can't come from Sheldon because then like @JE7 said, that will hurt the fairy tales of Shamy and the image of Sheldon. Because if Sheldon says "Amy I don't want to have sex with you" then well, there'll be a big problem between Shamy. And I suppose the writers had no intention of looking for troubles for themselves back then. So it has to come from Amy. She MUST be the one who put coitus off the table. What irritates me about this is that the writers didn't even bother to think of a more logical and reasonable reason for them not having sex. That or I remembered wrong. Then just ignore the above.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I don't see how the "off the table" line can be confusing. She was reassuring Sheldon that she did not have an ulterior motive behind the "experiment" of living together. He knows she's tried to trick/manipulate him before, but since she comes out and says this, he will take her at her word.

The funnier thing would have been for him to try to get things going one night and she stops him reminding him they agreed sex was off the table. Not because she doesn't want to, but to maintain her integrity.

Actually what's confusing is the whole conversation.  I remember people on the Shamy thread getting excited with this because we thought this might mean they were doing it off screen.

Amy: So why don't we take being physical off the table and maybe later on, once we're more settled in, we can revisit it.

Sheldon : You're really okay with that?

Before 1004, we never see any evidence that Sheldon thinks they will have coitus more than once a year. So I think it's safe to assume that in his mind, Amy and him both agree to and are satisfied with the "next birthday" agreement.Since 9.11, Amy hinted her desire for sex once in 917, if I remember correctly. But Sheldon didn't understand her intention at all (thus he didn't know Amy was wanting sex). So there's no reason for Sheldon to think Amy will manipulate/trick him into coitus. 

Then, why does Sheldon say "You're really OK with that?". What's he so worried about? In his mind Amy's totally on board with their original deal. 

• Like 2

I don't think Amy's ' Works for me !' was necessarily an agreement to wait a year. It could have been that she merely looked forward to when they'd do it again. She was rather keen to see him in his 'birthday suit' which implied she thought his own birthday was another likely occasion, especially as he'd told her she owed him big time when she mentioned how memorable he'd made her birthday.

When they were in Sheldon's bedroom  discussing 4B sleeping arrangements, Amy didn't refer to 'coitus' but to 'coital expectations'. Sheldon had admitted he felt nervous but included 'excited' in his list. That shows they hadn't at that point firmly decided the event would be merely annual, only that it would be a minimum / certainty. Her suggestion of taking coitus at least temporarily off the table, with an option to 'revisit' at some point in the coming five weeks when they'd got through difficulties, was something Sheldon found reassuring. He didn't say anything that would rule it out though.

• Like 6

Posts have been removed or edited. Remember, it's against the rules to talk about shippers, and indeed perceived subdivisions of ships, as a homogeneous block, particularly when it's done as a way of ascribing opinions which people may not have expressed. You can certainly debate what individual shippers say, but you shouldn't be arguing with an idea of what you think this block of people all supposedly think.

• Like 7

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:22 PM, rice sheldon said:

He wouldn't last at all, because he'd never get it up in the first place. He's only attracted to Amy. Also I think that's really insulting to Mayim Bialik, who I think is a gorgeous woman. To each his own, I guess. 

Why would this be insulting to Mayim Bialik? You meant Amy, right? I think it is quite dangerous to mix real people with fictional characters.  Because IRL I do not believe Jim would be attracted to any of the women (Kaley, Melissa or Mayim) because he's gay.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:45 AM, camelliayao said:

I'm sorry, but how is treating sex as an annual ritual any different than treating it as a gift? Does Sheldon want to do it because that day is Amy's birthday or because he's horny on that day? If the latter, why does he happen to be horny on that day, out of the 365 days since their last time? If he was horny before (like in 1004), why didn't they have sex on those days?

The problem with having their second time on Amy's birthday is that it doesn't make sense. And I'm not talking about "making sense" from a normal person's point of view. Because I know very clearly that Shamy is nowhere near normal. I'm talking about whether it's a logically consistent system within the show.

Does Sheldon has no desire? No, because from 1004 and 1008 we know he has no problem with that.

Is Amy the one to blame on this issue? No because we've seen several pieces of evidence that she hopes to do it more freauently. Yes she turned Sheldon down in 1008. But what she turned down was having a baby, not coitus. If Sheldon suggested using a condom in that episode. I'm sure Amy would jump into bed with Sheldon in no time.

Were they under the impression that for some reason they can only do it on Amy's birthday? I don't think so. The "coitus is off the table" line in 1004 and Sheldon wanting to make a baby in 1008 clearly suggest they are not that stupid.

Then what could possibility stop them from having sex before Amy's birthday?

So in the past year, they were both horny. Then why do they have to wait until now to have sex again? 

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Shamy were horny, but up until 1011, despite all the hot make out sessions and scientific turn-ons they have, they weren't horny enough to have sex. 

So they wanted to have sex before, just not enough to actually do it. That's some magic amount of desire lol. Not 364, not 366, it just has to be 365 days for their "sexual desire tank" to be filled up. And for this, I don't think a simple "Because Shamy are weird" is a good enough explanation.

That's what bothers me. I don't know why the writers chose to let Shamy's second time happen on Amy's birthday and I don't care if this is a result of compromises between the writers. To me, it's crappy writing, especially if you take into consideration that they let Bernie carry a baby for 12 months, just so they could write this storyline for Shamy.

Crappy writings are crappy writings. No amount of role playings and Shamy make out sessions is going to change that. I'm devoted into this couple because the Shamy part of the show used to be a beautiful story that makes sense. 

If anyone figures out what the thought process of the writers on this issue could possibily be, please, enlighten me.

I was going to answer serena_1995 but you did it much better than I ever could. Well said!

• Like 1

On 24/11/2016 at 1:55 AM, Chrismo said:

I'm not sure how anything I said in my post was insulting to Mayim. Espicially when in Thursday's episode Amy was jealous of Penny's looks.

Good ol' Amy used to idolise Penny's looks for a long time. Thankfully though she's over it now. The ironic thing is that even through her jealousy, she didn't try to copy Penny's look or change her clothing style. She's the Amy we've always known and loved with very small changes in her style that match her personality. What is even more ironic, is that Penny's looks that Amy was jealous of, aren't even her own! Nope, she's dyed her hair and got a boob job. Funny that!

And really, I gotta hand it to Amy: her frumpy clothes and hair the colour of mud landed her tall and thin Sheldon, the hottest and smartest of the guys. Meanwhile, Penny's bad boob job and fried hair landed her short and overweight Leonard, who is smart in his own right, but not as smart as Sheldon. If someone asked me which person from the gang is the luckiest, I think I'd know the answer.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Judith said:

And really, I gotta hand it to Amy: her frumpy clothes and hair the colour of mud landed her tall and thin Sheldon, the hottest and smartest of the guys. Meanwhile, Penny's bad boob job and fried hair landed her short and overweight Leonard, who is smart in his own right, but not as smart as Sheldon. If someone asked me which person from the gang is the luckiest, I think I'd know the answer.

That's a matter of opinion. I find Johnny - even with his visible belly - by far the most attractive of the guys. But hey, it'd be boring if we all liked the same things.

• Like 9

Just now, sam25233 said:

Tall and thin Sheldon may be sexy to you, but for me the only guy I find sexy in this show is Leonard. His mannerisms are more masculine to me. (...)

So its better if we dont stereotype them based on looks, because everybody has their own preference.

This. I also think Johnny - even when playing his nerdy alter ego -  is the most masculine. I think he's insanely sexy. I love me some Dr. Hofstadter.

johnny.jpg

• Like 7

Probably futile trying to change the discussion topic or theme right now, but I guess I will try...

No mention of Isabella or Raj's status in the last few episodes? Maybe with the birth storyline now out of the way the writers may revisit Raj's love life? Or do we think that was a one episode deal, Isabella consigned to the one appearance club and that was it? Now would be the perfect time to try and give Raj some storyline development imo.

Maybe the birth of baby Wolowitz might make him reassess his life and make him realize he wants to find someone he could one day have children with, but to do that he will need to change.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

That's a matter of opinion. I find Johnny - even with his visible belly - by far the most attractive of the guys. But hey, it'd be boring if we all liked the same things.

I find Johnny attracitve too. I didn't realize it until once I happened to find an episode still from season one. He sure is a gook looking guy, even with all his nerdy clothes. As for the belly, haha I think it's cute.

Talking about attractiveness, I get it that the show deliberately portray Amy and Leonard as unsexy because that's part of their personality. (I'm saying this not because I think they're unsexy. I'm saying this based on the comments and reactions of other characters on the show). But I find it very disturbing that even their partners, rarely complement their looks. What happens to "Beauty lies in the lover's eyes?"? Especially when you combine that with the fact that Amy and Leonard are the ones who's more patient and are usually steps ahead in their own relationship. It just leaves me very bad impressions that the show thinks less good looking people should give more in relationships to "balance out".

That's why I was very moved when Penny says she thinks Leonard with a coin change is sexy in 1006. It offset all the horrible lines in that episode between Lenny. In fact, I would give up the Shamy storyline in 10.11in exchange of Sheldon thinking Amy is sexy and telling her that. (And no I'm not talking about the ones like Sheldon getting "randy" because of Amy being smart.)

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Judith said:

Good ol' Amy used to idolise Penny's looks for a long time. Thankfully though she's over it now. The ironic thing is that even through her jealousy, she didn't try to copy Penny's look or change her clothing style. She's the Amy we've always known and loved with very small changes in her style that match her personality. What is even more ironic, is that Penny's looks that Amy was jealous of, aren't even her own! Nope, she's dyed her hair and got a boob job. Funny that!

Can you please point out in what episode Penny said that she got a boob job ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I find Johnny attracitve too. I didn't realize it until once I happened to find an episode still from season one. He sure is a gook looking guy, even with all his nerdy clothes. As for the belly, haha I think it's cute.

Talking about attractiveness, I get it that the show deliberately portray Amy and Leonard as unsexy because that's part of their personality. But I find it very disturbing that even their partners, rarely complement their looks. What happens to "Beauty lies in the lover's eyes?"? Especially when you combine that with the fact that Amy and Leonard are the ones who's more patient and steps ahead in their own relationship. It just leaves me very bad impressions that the show thinks less good looking people should give more in relationships to "balance out".

That's why I was very moved when Penny says she thinks Leonard with a coin change is sexy in 1006. It offset all the horrible lines in that episode between Lenny. In fact, I would give up the Shamy storyline in 10.11in exchange of Sheldon thinking Amy is sexy and telling her that. (And no I'm not talking about the ones like Sheldon getting "randy" because of Amy being smart.)

In the last two taped episodes, Sheldon literally called Amy cute and a Foxy Tea Kettle. And when Amy came out in her HP outfit it sounds like his jaw was pretty much on the ground. 

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maddie said:

In the past two taped episodes, Sheldon literally called Amy cute and a Foxy Tea Kettle. And when Amy cane out in her HP it sounds like his jaw was pretty much on the ground. 

Cute is way far from sexy IMO. For example, I think my dog's cute. Another example is I think Johnny is sexy in season 1. But I don't think his belly is sexy, even though I find it cute :)

As for the HP thing. I don't know. Actually I've had this feeling ever since 10.04. It just feels like Sheldon cannot be aroused by Amy alone. It has to be Amy plus science/intellegentce/nerdy stuff. I can't think of any example where Sheldon's just hot for Amy, without her being smart/them doing experiments/them talking about science since the prom episode.

So yeah, those examples don't count for me actually.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Probably futile trying to change the discussion topic or theme right now, but I guess I will try...

No mention of Isabella or Raj's status in the last few episodes? Maybe with the birth storyline now out of the way the writers may revisit Raj's love life? Or do we think that was a one episode deal, Isabella consigned to the one appearance club and that was it? Now would be the perfect time to try and give Raj some storyline development imo.

Maybe the birth of baby Wolowitz might make him reassess his life and make him realize he wants to find someone he could one day have children with, but to do that he will need to change.

Yeah, the first half of the season pretty much belongs to Shamy and Howardette. They each had one big milestone hanging over their heads which have now been dealt with so I guess we can only hope that the second half gives the rest of the cast something to do for a change.

As for Raj specifically I can see them planting a few seeds for him with Issabella (I, too, wonder if she'll be back...) and the car scene when he laments that he hasn't accomplished anything. It could lead to a nice storyline for him but yeah... the show's track record with him hasn't been the best. Oh well...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Penny has NEVER said she had a boob job, although Kaley did have one before the show started.

The boobs I see on-screen tell me otherwise.

22 minutes ago, JE7 said:

You just proved the point about confusing actors and the characters they play though as well as the point t about bias, so thanks for that :icon_cheesygrin:

tumblr_o22e87ZsFM1rveoj6o1_r1_400.gif

giphy-14.gif

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic