The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

23 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

This expresses how I feel far better than I could have put it. I "fell in love with The Big Bang Theory" largely because of KC's beautiful acting. She has a star quality, charisma, magic, whatever you call it that MB utterly lacks. Every scene with Penny and not Amy is better than any scene with Amy and not Penny. Why are the programme makers reducing the quality of the show by sidelining their star actress in favour of one who is merely good, as all supporting actors in big-time TV shows are?

The new living arrangement unexpectedely reduces the quality in another way, because Sheldon is much more worth watching while interacting with Leonard and/or Penny than with Amy.

I think you'll find that most of the audience (per ratings) and certainly most critics (how many awards has KC been nominated for vs.  Mayim's noms and critics choice win?) disagree with you. I'm not saying this to pit them against each other---just merely responding to your bid to do so.  And I am one of this peeps who became a regular viewer because of Mayim/Amy, just like KC seems to especially appeal to you, so of course, we see it differently.

Edited by AllyAnne
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

This expresses how I feel far better than I could have put it. I "fell in love with The Big Bang Theory" largely because of KC's beautiful acting. She has a star quality, charisma, magic, whatever you call it that MB utterly lacks. Every scene with Penny and not Amy is better than any scene with Amy and not Penny. Why are the programme makers reducing the quality of the show by sidelining their star actress in favour of one who is merely good, as all supporting actors in big-time TV shows are?

The new living arrangement unexpectedely reduces the quality in another way, because Sheldon is much more worth watching while interacting with Leonard and/or Penny than with Amy.

I don't want trump my own horn. But BBT was at its best in Season 3, 6, and 7. Kaley at the forefront of most storylines. I don't like how they have relegated her to a supporting role either. This is not  a slight on MB, I think she is a terrific actress. I too feel she lacks KC's charisma on screen. 

• Like 3

Just now, AllyAnne said:

I think you'll find that most of the audience (per ratings) and certainly most critics (how many awards has KC been nominated for vs.  Mayim's noms and critics choice win?). I'm not saying this to pit them against each other---just merely responding to your bid to do so.  And I am one of this peeps who became a regular viewer because of Mayim/Amy, just like KC seems to especially appeal to you, so of course, we see it differently.

Kaleys won alot more PCA's then Mayim, if that is your point. Ratings have been going down for a while now. Theirs alot of people who tuned out because of Mayim. That's not to say that is her fault, I am just stating stuff. 

1 minute ago, April said:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but you probably need to face the reality that with your dislike of Mayim/Amy you're in the minority. The writers love her, huge chunks of the audience love her, and Shamy are ridiculously popular. You can complain about her all you want in your comments but you better buckle up cause she won't be going away any time soon and there's only more hippie dippy Shamy stories to come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No one is in the minority. Their are tons of ppl who dislike Mayim, and tons who don't. It is equal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AllyAnne said:

I think you'll find that most of the audience (per ratings) and certainly most critics (how many awards has KC been nominated for vs.  Mayim's noms and critics choice win?). I'm not saying this to pit them against each other---just merely responding to your bid to do so.  And I am one of this peeps who became a regular viewer because of Mayim/Amy, just like KC seems to especially appeal to you, so of course, we see it differently.

or we could use a different measure. How many magazine covers, commercial endorsements, interviews or movie roles has Mayim had? How many has Kaley had? Who commands the bigger paycheck both on and off TBBT?

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 3ku11 said:

Kaleys won alot more PCA's then Mayim, if that is your point. Ratings have been going down for a while now. Theirs alot of people who tuned out because of Mayim. That's not to say that is her fault, I am just stating stuff. 

Ratings rose significantly in later seasons, after the addition of Mayim....and didn't the coitus ep set a record? So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, April said:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but you probably need to face the reality that with your dislike of Mayim/Amy you're in the minority. The writers love her, huge chunks of the audience love her, and Shamy are ridiculously popular. You can complain about her all you want in your comments but you better buckle up cause she won't be going away any time soon and there's only more hippie dippy Shamy stories to come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But hopefully only 13 more episodes of them, Kaley however will be around and popular for years to come 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Leonard and penny have been sidelined and H/B/R kept to mostly separate storylines for the express purpose of not out shining SHamy. You have to keep the spotlight in Sheldon at all times or people will notice he us not the most entertaining character, so if you want to push him as the center of the show the others must be minimized as either reactive to him or kept away from him so as not to steal his thunder. They even went so far as to make the birth of Howardettes baby a B plot so as not to outshine Shamys second annual attempt at sex. 

Of course this IMO 

I think it is really poor writing to have Shamy sex and the birth of Howardettes baby in the same episode. Everything apparently has to be about Shamy these days, not one episode can be about other characters. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

No one is in the minority. Their are tons of ppl who dislike Mayim, and tons who don't. It is equal.

It really isn't "equal". There are always people complaining about every aspect of the show but that doesn't mean that these groups are "equal" to the parts of the audience that like or even love the same aspects.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

Is it her "magical acting" or her looks that draw you? Because those are two different things.

if there was an emmy for acheivements in eye rolling then maybe she could compete.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JE7 said:

But hopefully only 13 more episodes of them, Kaley however will be around and popular for years to come 

Doesn't Kaley want to retire after TBBT and concentrate on her horses??

• Like 3

1 minute ago, April said:

It really isn't "equal". There are always people complaining about every aspect of the show but that doesn't mean that these groups are "equal" to the parts of the audience that like or even love the same aspects.

Yeah yeah and trump voters were in the minority, so that shows you what polls and conventional wisdom are worth

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JE7 said:

or we could use a different measure. How many magazine cover, commercial endorsements, interviews or movie roles has Matin had? How many has Kaley had? Who commands the bigger paycheck both on and off TBBT?

No one is saying, she isn't billed as the female lead of the show---of course she would have a bigger paycheck---she's been there from the beginning.  But, quite obviously, from all the love Mayim and Amy get from here and elsewhere, Kaley isn't the only one who sparkles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April said:

Doesn't Kaley want to retire after TBBT and concentrate on her horses??

A commercial shoot takes a couple days a movie a few months, she Dosent want the grind of a weekly series again not to retire totally from acting

Just now, JE7 said:

Yeah yeah and trump voters were in the minority, so that shows you what polls and conventional wisdom are worth

Trump voters were in the minority - it's only the distribution of those voters that turned the result in his favour due to the electoral college.

Also, do you really want @Tensor to drop another lecture on how ratings work? (Not that I would mind, I love when he's talking numbers. <3)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JE7 said:

TBH, no one can predict t that for any of them.  The most likely scenario is that lightening doesn't strike twice.  None of them are likely to have this kind of success again; and that's not a dig at anyone's talent.  Before you start spouting off the projects any of them have had previously---none of those reached the heights of BBT.  The closest would be Johnny and Roseanne,  but he certainly wasn't the star.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JE7 said:

They even went so far as to make the birth of Howardettes baby a B plot so as not to outshine Shamys second annual attempt at sex as THE event of the season. 

That bothers me too. It just feels wrong. And why they deliberately tried to "synchronize" Amy's and Hallie's birthday, even though it messes up the timeline entirely, is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, veejay said:

I really don't know...

g_20.gif

:bb:

but damn if it's not fun :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, April said:

Trump voters were in the minority - it's only the distribution of those voters that turned the result in his favour due to the electoral college.

Also, do you really want @Tensor to drop another lecture on how ratings work? (Not that I would mind, I love when he's talking numbers. <3)

The rules say not attack other POSTERS, not their posts or ideas and for the record they are still counting in several states (absentee, mail in, provisional ballots) so no final number is to be had yet

Edited by JE7

1 minute ago, AllyAnne said:

TBH, no one can predict t that for any of them.  The most likely scenario is that lightening doesn't strike twice.  None of them are likely to have this kind of success again; and that's not a dig at anyone's talent.  Before you start spouting off the projects any of them have had previously---none of those reached the heights of BBT.  The closest would be Johnny and Roseanne,  but he certainly wasn't the star.

Mayim had her own show with Blossom for which she's still pretty well known. And I guess Kaley had 8 Simple Rules but that didn't reach the same heights but still. So I guess in a way lightning already did strike twice for them - a third time would be even harder to achieve.

27 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I think we will hear but not see the baby especially early on, though I could see them having some scenes with an older baby following the show's timeline perhaps at some point. I know they screwed up the gestation period but you don't think they might have a real baby on set right away that is clearly like over 6 months old lol? Obviously an older baby would be easier to work with from an acting/scene perspective but seriously writers don't do it.

I wonder what Stuart's role might play in all this after they are letting him crash at their place for a bit, will he be referenced in dialogue or have actual scenes as a nanny? lol

Going to be interesting to see how they handle this big change, or more importantly how big a change they want to actually make it. I would hope for some realism but this is a sitcom.

Well, it wouldn't be TBBT without a grown man living with a married couple, LOL!!! More seriously, the new living arrangements for Stuart seem a bit odd to me, as far as I understand in 10.10 the writers wanted to create a sort of competition between him and Raj about who's the best third wheel, but not sure that for doing that it was strictly necessary to have Stuart move back with Howardette. He has been out of their home for, how long? one year, and now is back there. In S. 8 and 9 his presence in their home hadn't a huge focus on the show, there were some mentions here and there and a couple of episodes in S. 8 where it was the b or c plot, but nothing more than that. I'm under the impression the writers just need a nanny, that off screen takes care of the baby when Howard and Bernie are busy with the gang, and Stuart is as a good choice as any for that. If Hallie is anything like her grandma, she will love him, her first word might even be  STUWIIIIIIIIIII, LOL!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, JE7 said:

The rules say not attack other POSTERS, not their posts or ideas and for the record they are still counting in several states si no final number is to be had yet

What attack!??!?

And last time I checked Clinton's lead in the popular vote passed the 2 million mark a few days ago - the additional votes coming from blue states because so many people live there, hence why Trump isn't gaining that much by comparison. That is just a fact.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Leonard and penny have been sidelined and H/B/R kept to mostly separate storylines for the express purpose of not out shining SHamy. They have to keep the spotlight in Sheldon at all times or people will notice he us not the most entertaining character, so if you want to push him as the center of the show the others must be minimized as either reactive to him or kept away from him so as not to steal his thunder. They even went so far as to make the birth of Howardettes baby a B plot so as not to outshine Shamys second annual attempt at sex as THE event of the season. 

Of course this IMO 

I agree with most of this but I'm not quite sure about the bolded sentence because it seems to me that Sheldon has now been pretty much confined to being the Sh in Shamy. He used to have more interactions with all the others. I think it's specifically Shamy that's being spotlighted.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Well, it wouldn't be TBBT without a grown man living with a married couple, LOL!!! More seriously, the new living arrangements for Stuart seem a bit odd to me, as far as I understand in 10.10 the writers wanted to create a sort of competition between him and Raj about who's the best third wheel, but not sure that for doing that it was strictly necessary to have Stuart move back with Howardette. He has been out of their home for, how long? one year, and now is back there. In S. 8 and 9 his presence in their home hadn't a huge focus on the show, there were some mentions here and there and a couple of episodes in S. 8 where it was the b or c plot, but nothing more than that. I'm under the impression the writers just need a nanny, that off screen takes care of the baby when Howard and Bernie are busy with the gang, and Stuart is as a good choice as any for that. If Hallie is anything like her grandma, she will love him, her first word might even be  STUWIIIIIIIIIII, LOL!

Yeah it seems odd to me as well.

IIRC when he was taking care of Howard's mother and living there a lot of that time was also when he didn't have his comic book store open because of the fire damage, he was pretty much homeless and destitute at that point. I could see him staying there still and helping out a little but as a full time nanny I am not sure it would make any sense with his business operating. Will have to see what happens on that front.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 5