The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

The theme of someone not putting an effort into the relationship/marriage has been used several times during the show, like the time the girls told Penny she wasn't trying, in season 6, and we got her having sex with Leonard in his lab.  The writers have used this plot with Howardette and Shamy too, it is a standard plot line used by every long running sitcom with major couples, so I think we need to watch and see if this is a one off episode like they usually are.  But that said, Lenny having an RA just doesn't make sense, because for over 9 nine seasons we have heard Penny call RA's stupid and not applicable in a relationship, plus Leonard has complained about them the whole time, so them having Sheldon do one for them seems to throw out over 9 years of canon.

shamyyellow, that you so much for the TR, it was so nice for you to make the effort to provide it to the forum, very considerate.  Can I ask if there was any interesting BTS things going on during the taping?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, kimbee73 said:

First thank you so much for the report shammyyellow. I hope you had fun and it sounds like you did.

Okay I very rarely weigh in on TR because I always like to see how it plays out before jumping to conclusions and in many cases I have been right it was better then it read. Then I read this one. Now as a Shamy shipper I can be very happy about the kiss and the I miss you's  but as a fan of the show I am not happy about what I read for Lenny. To me I think anyone who ships Lenny has every right to be pissed about what they read. I don't know if it will play out funny or not but I will watch it.

I got to thinking about some things as I was driving to work after reading this and I have come to my own conclusions about why I think they brought a relationship agreement into the mix(even though I do agree it is completely unnecessary).

Leonard has lived with Sheldon and his agreements for 13 years before this year. Last season when he and Penny tried to move out one of the first things that happened was the dinner schedule. Monday is Thai and Leonard was so used to that he had no idea what to eat so Penny decided to just go with it. This year he told Amy to stick to her guns about the bathroom because no matter where he was there had better be a bathroom at 7:18. This was all due to contracts he signed(willingly or unwillingly he still signed). So he has become so used to them it is almost as if he needs them(he doesn't but that is what I think)

Now as far as whether there is passion or not in the relationship I don't know. I don't see anything since they have not been featured but here is something else I was thinking about. Lenny is living alone(and actually alone) for the first time since they got married. For those of us that are married there is an adjustment period which I think is probably what they are going through. Since as many have put on here that there is only so much that can be shown in 18 minutes and a lot of the focus has been on Shamy then Howardette and the pregnancy, Lenny has been put on the backburner, and it sucks for you who ship them. Now they get this story and it seems there is trouble in paradise. I have not seen any indications in the episodes leading up to this that would show that but then again we aren't seeing their whole lives and it makes it hard. So I am going with the adjustment period of living alone is getting to them both and hopefully this agreement(whether I agree or not) is just a guide to help them and hopefully they have input, because I 100% agree that Sheldon is no expert in relationships at all and to make him this guru all of sudden is ridiculous. But him being a writer of contracts is not and him writing it doesn't seem crazy if they have the input to what is in it if that is what they think they need.

As always this is just my opinion and I get everyone's frustrations with the writers on this one. I hope it plays out better than it sounds for you. I do agree with some that you should give it a chance but that is up to you.

I agree. It hadn't registered with me how dependent Leonard had been on agreements, only how useful the RMA had been for Penny. The TR didn't strike me that the marriage was in serious trouble, just that they had to adjust a few things. A wife discovering that 'To love and to cherish' gets forgotten or converted into 'to take for granted and ignore'  by the husband until she puts a squib up his backside is nothing new.  If a husband and wife can't complain to each other when something needs to be put right then that's a marriage that's heading for the rocks, not one like Lenny's. When Sheldon moved out, the Lenny marriage was getting off to a delayed start. After the initial euphoria the adjustment period started and it wasn't as simple as a new couple moving into their first home after the honeymoon and starting alone together from scratch. Happily Ever After has to be worked on. Lenny only got married when they did on a whim.  They'd been engaged for a year but apparently had discussed nothing. They hadn't been for pre-marital advice and discussion sessions when the sort of thing that's probably in Sheldon's proposed agreement is thrashed out and saves time and trouble later. You can bet your life Sheldon knows from his mother's church pre-marriage workbook what needs to go into it, or he's googled it.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, SRAM said:

...But that said, Lenny having an RA just doesn't make sense, because for over 9 nine seasons we have heard Penny call RA's stupid and not applicable in a relationship, plus Leonard has complained about them the whole time, so them having Sheldon do one for them seems to throw out over 9 years of canon.....

I agree. Inconsistencies in continuity and logic again because the writers needed a rotten joke. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The same thing happened with some Shamy fans when Shamy broke up.

I wasn't one of them.  I was one of the few that saw it coming and wasn't surprised 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

I wasn't one of them.  I was one of the few that saw it coming and wasn't surprised 

Was more of a general statement but you know what I meant.

6 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

@shamyyellow Do we actually see Penny and Leonard talking about it when Shamy leave the room?

To me that's the biggest problem. It doesn't appear you do.

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the news. First of all, I refuse to see how there's anything wrong with their passion. It just makes me feel like an idiot because apparently I don't see it. But there was absolutely no evidence so far.

Second I don't want my OTP to rely on contracts. I know it works for Sheldon and Amy, but I doubt it'll work for Leonard and Penny. Depends on what's written in there. From my understanding, Sheldon did this WITH them, so it probably suits their needs, whether that's healthy or not.

I mean, what happens if someone violates the agreement? Is someone going to get spanked, too? :icon_rolleyes:

Just now, FileXxX said:

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the news. First of all, I refuse to see how there's anything wrong with their passion. It just makes me feel like an idiot because apparently I don't see it. But there was absolutely no evidence so far.

Second I don't want my OTP to rely on contracts. I know it works for Sheldon and Amy, but I doubt it'll work for Leonard and Penny. Depends on what's written in there. From my understanding, Sheldon did this WITH them, so it probably suits their needs, whether that's healthy or not.

I mean, what happens if someone violates the agreement? Is someone going to get spanked, too? :icon_rolleyes:

JMO but I think things hit Penny seeing the guys sitting around like always. Also my guess is that this will be the only time you hear about a contract.

5 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

I would watch that episode :icon_twisted:

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

Also my guess is that this will be the only time you hear about a contract.

Exactly my thinking. They'll just never bring it up again and pretend Lenny is all fine now, just like they were before. I'm also certain we won't see any of the "recalibrated romance" (the title). Of course I'd love if we did, but who am I kidding...

6 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

. Also my guess is that this will be the only time you hear about a contract.

Doesn't matter it shouldn't have been done in the first place, ignoring it won't erase it from cannon as we Lenny's unfortunately know all to well

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

Also, to be honest, I sort of saw a Leonard taking Penny for granted episode coming because of the hints from other episodes.  The guys telling Leonard that Penny is putting much more effort into looking good than he was or him saying that he didn't have to try as hard because he is married now, made me wonder if the writers were purposely trying plant the seed that Leonard was taking her for granted since she was now married to him.  It happens in a lot of marriages, especially right after the honeymoon phase, so it is about the right time for Lenny, but it doesn't mean the end, just that they need to work on their marriage more.  

The RA was just a cheap joke, in my opinion, to get Sheldon into the plot, since it is still the Sheldon Show after all.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Also, to be honest, I sort of saw a Leonard taking Penny for granted episode coming because of the hints from other episodes.  The guys telling Leonard that Penny is putting much more effort into looking good than he was or him saying that he didn't have to try as hard because he is married now, made me wonder if the writers were purposely trying plant the seed that Leonard was taking her for granted since she was now married to him.  It happens in a lot of marriages, especially right after the honeymoon phase, so it is about the right time for Lenny, but it doesn't mean the end, just that they need to work on their marriage more.  

The RA was just a cheap joke, in my opinion, to get Sheldon into the plot, since it is still the Sheldon Show after all.

Totally agree especially since we haven't seen the episode before this. Ideally a spa trip would have worked IMO with Bernadette better but as you said they need to interject Sheldon into the story. Obviously JP made it back to the taping.

11 minutes ago, SRAM said:

You may well be right but that dosent change the fact that the while story line just sucks for the characters believability in addition to making no damn sense considering what we have seen so far this season which has been very positive if low in quantity

What's next they have a huge fight and penny storms off because Leonard left the seat up? Sheldon could write them a bathroom checklist

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JE7 said:

You may well be right but that dosent change the fact that the while story line just sucks for the characters believability in addition to making no damn sense considering what we have seen so far this season which has been very positive if low in quantity

I'm not sure everything has been totally positive though it hasn't been really negative either. The low in quantity has been more the problem.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

.......The low in quantity has been more the problem.

Yes, as I said on another thread, I’d trying to watch a former tv-show off-screen, no one would complain about the lack of Lenny's relationship talks and everything is just peachy creamy.

22 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Totally agree especially since we haven't seen the episode before this. Ideally a spa trip would have worked IMO with Bernadette better but as you said they need to interject Sheldon into the story. Obviously JP made it back to the taping.

Why would it have been better with Bernie?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JE7 said:

What's next they have a huge fight and penny storms off because Leonard left the seat up? Sheldon could write them a bathroom checklist

That's what I don't want because that's the crazy kind of stuff. I want them to use this contract as a reminder, not as something to look at and adjust to every day. They're two human beings, perfectly capable of maintaining a marriage without clauses that tell you what to do.

Also don't forget that this is all about rekindling the romance, not bathroom checklists or anything. I won't say anything against a contract that forces them to be more romantic. But they'd also have to show it, otherwise it's just pointless.

5 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

I was at the taping tonight. 

The episode begins with Penny coming home from work and Leonard having prepared her a romantic dinner of flowers, wine, and pizza bagels. She says it reminds her of the 8th grade. Leonard intensifies that memory by expressing his feelings for her through NSYNC lyrics. She asks if he just quoted an NSYNC song to her to which he said, "I just quoted your favorite NSYNC song to you." It's a cute moment but swiftly cuts to Leonard sitting on the couch in his underwear playing video games while Penny looks on. I don't remember if Penny was dreaming or day dreaming, but the overall gist was comparing her fantasy to her reality.

Amy, Bernie, and Penny have girls night in 4B. Amy makes a comment to Penny about how girls night has always taken place in 4B but now that it's no longer Penny's apartment, it's kind of like she's hosting it now. This was one of Amy's "I'm the popular girl" moments and Mayim's delivery was great. The conversation quickly switches to Penny confiding that she feels like ever since getting married, Leonard has stopped trying. There is funny banter in there about how Leonard and Howard never wear pants, to which Amy said that Sheldon always wears pants and she probably couldn't even identify his knees in a line-up. 

Leonard and Sheldon are playing chess in 4A. There is a funny bit where every time Leonard makes his move, Sheldon says if he does that, he'll beat him in 8 moves, 5, moves, 1 move, etc. Penny returns from girls night and Sheldon proclaims that he's trying to take a greater interest in other people, so asks Penny what she ate (chips) and what she drank (wine). She's obviously irritated and I don't remember what Leonard says in response, but Penny replies to him with, "At least he cares enough to ask." Leonard asks where this is coming from but Penny doesn't want to talk about it. When Leonard pushes, she says that he hasn't been putting effort into their relationship to which Leonard says, "Oh really? That's funny because it seems to me like I'm the only one who has ever put any effort into this relationship." It gets pretty heated and Penny says that maybe she'll just take Amy with her to a spa trip she had planned for them. He says that she should and storms out of the room.

Jumping forward to Amy and Penny all packed up and ready to go, Lenny are obviously ignoring each other. Amy leans in to kiss Sheldon goodbye but he stops her to say that he doesn't feel comfortable with displays of affection in front of an unhappy couple. Leonard (or Penny?) tells him to go for it, so they do. It's a small kiss at first and quickly turns passionate -- think Leonard's nightmare about Penny and Sheldon kissing in 9.2. It keeps going until Penny tells them that's enough. Penny is already out the door and Amy in lingering in the hallway telling Sheldon that she's going to miss him. He says that he's going to miss her too. She says she's going to miss him to infinity. He tops her with some scientific speak that I can't recall. Amy is about to top him again when Penny grabs her arm and pulls her out of the apartment. 

There is a car scene with Sheldon and Leonard that I can't remember the details of for the life of me. I think Leonard was just explaining why he needed to find Penny and set things straight.

We see Penny and Amy at the resort. Penny asks when the last time Amy got a massage was. She said Sheldon walked on her back a few weeks ago but that's just because he thought he saw a spider. Amy asks if Penny is going to be naked during the massage and when Penny says she is, Amy pulls open her robe and she has all of her clothes on underneath. The scene was filmed 3 times and the line changed slightly, but she basically says she might be wearing too many clothes. There is a knock at the door and Penny answers to find Leonard and Sheldon. Once again, the details are blurry, but Penny yells at Leonard and says it's sweet that he came but she needs space. Sheldon walks up to Amy and just says "Hello, Amy." This gets her acting flirty and playing with her hair as she says hi back. Sheldon says, "See Leonard? That's how you do it without being overbearing/obvious." 

We then see Shamy leave the hotel room to let Lenny talk it out and there is some running joke about Amy bringing back mini bottles of alcohol so Sheldon knows what it's like to drink like Godzilla. Sheldon suggests the hit up the mini bar to do that now that he's there.

In the next scene, we see all 4 of them sitting at a table. I think Sheldon says something about them getting a divorce (maybe?) Penny says that getting married just brought up some issues that they need to figure out but they both seem in good spirits after their talk. They are both very, very reluctant to say so, but suggest that it might be for the best if Sheldon writes them a Relationship Agreement. Of course, Sheldon couldn't be more honored and delighted. 

The tag scene was all 4 of them back home in 4A going over the contract Sheldon has written up. There is a joke about Leonard's tiny white thighs. Penny asked if that was necessary and Sheldon says that he wrote this up for free, he was allowed to have his fun. Lenny agree that the contract sounds great and Amy says it reminds her of her first relationship agreement. Sheldon says, "And you're obviously forgetting the no sentimentality clause." 

And that was it.

The Raj, Bernie, and Howard storyline was pretty simple. Howard was having trouble putting Halley (correct spelling as its written on the wall in her nursery) to sleep in her crib because the floor in the nursery is so squeaky. Raj and Howard turn the floor into a grid and map out where the squeaking happens and develop a Mission Impossible style pathway to the baby's crib that is super ridiculous. 

And that's basically it.

Oh! The episode is called The Romance Recalibration. If anybody has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you very much for the report. Just as I suspected. PURE.UNADULTERATED.SHIT.

5 hours ago, 5Mississippis said:

OMFG! Leonard and Penny now have to rely on Sheldon, Shamy and a Sheldon drafted relationship agreement to try and navigate their life together?! They cannot try, do, or have anything separate from Sheldon and his influence?! Leonard and Penny are taking relationship advice from them?! WTF?! This sounds absolutely horrific and is a complete slap on the face. 

Like now Sheldon is an expert on relationships? Puh-leeeze. That is preposterous and ridiculous, not to mention OOC, and just plain bad writing. Just when we think TPTB cannot sink any lower they go and overachieve on  us. I cannot believe how bad this is getting. I really hope from the bottom of my heart that this is the last season (which I know won't be) because this agonizing semblance of a comedy is stinking as of right now. The stench is becoming unbearable.

• Like 3

I can see this espiode leading to 2 different out comes
The first would be lenny get worse and penny filing for divorce which would mean leonard would move out and never be seen again. This way penny could start dating one of her customers at the start of next season and tptb could save a lot of money
The second would be sheldon saving the day since in the last three seasons sheldon has rarely failed at anything this way lenny would be indebted to sheldon and shamy would be able to brag about being the best couple again

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

Why would it have been better with Bernie?

Ideally a trip with some female outside the group would be best. I think Bernadette and Howard are more like Lenny than Shamy is. Also Bernadette was the one that gave advice to Penny to put more effort into Lennys relationship.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Ideally a trip with some female outside the group would be best. I think Bernadette and Howard are more like Lenny than Shamy is. Also Bernadette was the one that gave advice to Penny to put more effort into Lennys relationship.

I don't think it was intended to be a joint couples trip, so which couples are more alike doesn't matter here.  Not to mention that being more alike doesn't automatically make them closer friends. Penny picked someone to go with her instead of Leonard.  Bernie has a newborn at home.   And whether some here like it or not,  Penny and Amy are very close.   I think it makes sense that Amy went with her. 

• Like 8

I doubt very much Sheldon wrote a contract for them based on what he thought they should do or giving his relationship advice. By the sounds of it they came up with the idea, they decided what they wanted in this RA ( I can imagine he went to both of them saying what do you want me to put in it) and he just typed it up. He may have amended it based on their discussions in 4A. But then I haven't seen the episode yet so I don't know that for a fact. I guess he could have refused them, would that have been a better outcome despite them coming to him? It's easy to say the writers shouldn't have just done it in the first place but they have, it's set in stone now

In terms of what they are trying to achieve with this storyline or the reasons behind it I would have to see what happens in this episode and subsequently what happens shortly after it. I would like to know why they chose this and I won't know until I get a feel for it after seeing it.

I'm not a Lenny so in regards to this particular story this may be 'easier said than done', but with the storylines I way more often than not go into them with an open mind until I have seen them. I think the writers deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt here especially with how successful a job they have done overall.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 7