[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

13 minutes ago, Desdemona said:

Aww, thank you Veejay! :icon_redface: I would love to sit at least once at the writers table and develop a script for an episode with them. As long as they would let me write one small  scene. I would do it for a Ticket to the US and for a personal meeting with the actors. Well a woman can dream. :shy:

My pleasure, but let me get this strait (in a political correctness way of course). As a boy I would like to take me with you. :icon_redface:

l_09.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I'm gong to type up a quick repost.. I's tired af and I didn't take notes so it will be brief. I will add dialog but it wont be accurate to the actual taping as there were lots of re-writes. T

Hi all. Just a quick report. Got to pack our bags for a flight to San Francisco in the morning Episode was called "The Separation Agitation". If anything it was centered on Bert and StuHowardette mor

OK, here's the full taping report, courtesy of a super kind and likeable person. A million thanks to her. The unaltered wording reads as follows:  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

This is a very interesting topic.  Every so often, they do venture out of the "norm", albeit in very small steps.  Bakersfield is an example that came off fantastically.  Another is the episode where Bernadette and Penny were introduced to Amy's fanfiction writing.  That both Penny and Bernie were riveted to the story of Amelia and her visitor from the future made sense and was hilarious.  That Penny included Leonard, reading to him in bed was hilarious.  Also from Season 8 there was the brief scene with Leonard, Penny, Sheldon and Amy basket weaving.  I hope they have an episode along the same idea in Season 10.  (Can we count Big Bear from last season in this same vein??)

I love those moments as well and I think the show kinda dropped the ball on this, especially after Bakersfield. It would have been the perfect point to get the gals into some geeky stuff - doesn't mean they have to like all of it or the same stuff or whatever. But as @wowbagger already pointed out, more often than not you pick up hobbies and interests from your significant other and I think the show missed out on plenty of fun/funny plots that would mix it up.

To be fair though, as the examples listed show they at least do that occasionally and the list is not complete. I hope they keep it up and maybe one day we have the girls being just as excited about a movie coming out as the guys. But as it is, I also don't think Penny and Bernie suddenly being into Star Wars would have been believable because it would have come out of nowhere.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Tripper said:

There's clearly something worth discussing in the idea of the feminism as it relates to the show's characters and their interests,

I respectfully disagree politics are not an intrinsic part of the program and we will all never agree as we have different ideological ideas they are best left out of the discussion as there will always be strident disagreement and name calling when ever they are brought up.

IMO of course and the final say is if course yours

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

I love those moments as well and I think the show kinda dropped the ball on this, especially after Bakersfield. It would have been the perfect point to get the gals into some geeky stuff - doesn't mean they have to like all of it or the same stuff or whatever. But as @wowbagger already pointed out, more often than not you pick up hobbies and interests from your significant other and I think the show missed out on plenty of fun/funny plots that would mix it up.

To be fair though, as the examples listed show they at least do that occasionally and the list is not complete. I hope they keep it up and maybe one day we have the girls being just as excited about a movie coming out as the guys. But as it is, I also don't think Penny and Bernie suddenly being into Star Wars would have been believable because it would have come out of nowhere.

I've always been amused by the show's premise that science fiction, comics, and fantasy were interests virtually exclusively for males, and a certain type of male at that. Once I caught on to that idea I found it funny and still do.

That Bernie and Amy are top scientists but are still happy to dress up as princesses, admire male strippers or drool over their own menfolk is reassuring to me. They can do domestic stuff too, even though making a cake (for their men ) that rolled off the table showed that it wasn't their main focus.

I grew up with an image of really clever people being above the mundane such as noticing whether clothes are folded or take-away cartons thrown away.  I love to see all our six brainiacs both into their work and doing the basics such as Howardette cleaning, or hearing about Amy knitting and Emily quilting.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, April said:

I feel that for purposes of generating narrative tension the show will always have opposition between the two groups. If group A had been identified as primarily interested in dog sledding or extreme ironing then group B  would have been uninterested and dismissive  - because that's what helps drive the stories, cliche as that may be.

The show gave us Alice -just the once- to tantalise Leonard with the prospect of a fellow geek mate, so they - just the once - shown that female geeks exist. From time to time the partners will share interests - see the Thor/Hulk story - and Penny went to Who-con - so she does participate.

Are they excluding women by not having every partner share every interest? I'm not sure they are. I think it's more that they find more utility for story reasons in using the exaggeration of the two groups differences. It may seem unreasonable, but hey... look at Penny and Leonard's accomodation arrangements. Like that's reasonable?

And on the plus side -as said up thread - these women are successful in their careers and  - in two out of three cases - very much in control of their private lives. That's pretty good, isn't it?

https://goo.gl/images/JknlX2

Edited by Nogravitasatall
How TBBT might enjoy extreme ironing
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, April said:

That is why it needs to happen :sarcastichand:, it would be unexpected. 

9 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

Lets not forget Martha, who immediately recognizes Sheldon's limited edition Green Lantern lantern at a social mixer lol

I am nervous a little about my argument because I can't see both sides (the fog of privilege). I'm not sure that because the show started with male protagonists it can't move to parity now. Not certain what it would look like. Also our two picks may either sample size problems, selection problems or some evidence of tokenism. Or the premise just locks them in and it worked. There is a currently a popular film reboot that turns geek gender around. I think it's doing fine at box office. So not sure if it's a problem that time will solve, but that TBBT can't do heaps about because it's anchored in history. Its interesting. Battlestar Galactica I think managed parity...

• Like 3

Very amusing discussion since Opening night got more votes than Bath Item in the favorite episode contest. Opening night is a very stereotypical and non feminist episode as they come. Amy hair is disarray and satisfied with her man. Sheldon stating I can 't wait till next birthday. Then the SW part when they had the extra ticket. Did Penny or Bernie go? No Wil Wheaton went. Doesn't Opening night go against what most seem to be complaining about?

• Like 1

Of course the characters can like what they want, the balance is key to the show. IT just seems alot of the times, when the guys venture out. The girls are stuck doing wine. This show has the capacity to do more then that. So be great if they stepped out of the box a bit. As for Sterotypes, and a Female Geeky Character. But it would of been great, if they had a female geeky character in the show who did. But seeing its S10, I think that ship has sailed. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, vonmar said:

TBBT represents a small tight knit group of fictional friends who exist on a huge planet of viewers.  It is impossible for the writers to make everyone happy with their portrayal of each of the characters or how the characters behave in groups. It is a no-win situation. 

I agree with the rest of your post but not entirely on this part. I think the writers in many cases have put themselves in a no-win situation. Three instances from season 9 come to mind.

1. The Lenny wedding. To me they know they screwed this up in season 9 because they are trying to fix that in season 10.

2. The Shamy break up. While agreeing it was necessary it was too late in Seasons 8-9. It seems instead of writing something fresh they brought this back from the dead.

3. The coitus episode. This is the episode where they could have took a chance of unpredictability. IMO anything involving coitus was going to be loved. They went with the stereotypical storyline and in time people will remember such an episode like bath item more than this.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kev0821 said:

Here's a piece of season 10 artwork that's currently floating around the inte:sarcastichand:rnet... September 19th can't get here soon enough! :)

The_Big_Bang_Theory_Season_10.jpg

Sheldon has his hand on Penny's shoulder, the trend continues!

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Sheldon has his hand on Penny's shoulder, the trend continues!

Actually, his hand is across his body, Penny's shoulder is hiding most of the ring and pinky fingers.  If his hand was on her shoulder, those fingers would be visible.  

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I agree with the rest of your post but not entirely on this part. I think the writers in many cases have put themselves in a no-win situation. Three instances from season 9 come to mind.

1. The Lenny wedding. To me they know they screwed this up in season 9 because they are trying to fix that in season 10.

2. The Shamy break up. While agreeing it was necessary it was too late in Seasons 8-9. It seems instead of writing something fresh they brought this back from the dead.

3. The coitus episode. This is the episode where they could have took a chance of unpredictability. IMO anything involving coitus was going to be loved. They went with the stereotypical storyline and in time people will remember such an episode like bath item more than this.

Yeah, I no longer have that of a big issue with the Shamy break up.  It's just someone mentioned that having a break up on television is WAY too common and cliched.  This is like a problem arising before a big day (perhaps a wedding I should say).  And speaking of wedding days, I totally agree that the Lenny wedding day had the one of the worse things that can happen before a marriage. I don't know, of all the issues that could happen before a wedding.... why this one?  That's just a big no-no in my book.

• Like 4

@wowbagger and @Lionne  I agree with EVERY single point you raised. You are soo awesome ! If I could like your posts multiple times, I would ! And yeah, I didn't mean to target Opening Night Excitation specifically. It is a nice ep. Opening Night is just a part of a bigger problem that you highlighted so eloquently. 

7 hours ago, 2L344 said:

Lets not forget Martha, who immediately recognizes Sheldon's limited edition Green Lantern lantern at a social mixer lol

I recall exactly 4 girls who were interested in dating Sheldon or Leonard or Raj , and who were also the kind of girls who would be up for some geeky fun - Martha, Abby, Alice and Vanessa(in chronological order of their appearance)

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, veejay said:

My pleasure, but let me get this strait (in a political correctness way of course). As a boy I would like to take me with you. :icon_redface:

l_09.gif

That's sweet! But where do you want to take me? I hope you don't have a basement or attic where you would lock me up. My mother always told me not to go with strangers. :shy:

But seriously, I' m still recovering from the fact that my ex boyfriend did the Raj with me. (Two weeks before season 9 ended)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Very amusing discussion since Opening night got more votes than Bath Item in the favorite episode contest. Opening night is a very stereotypical and non feminist episode as they come. Amy hair is disarray and satisfied with her man. Sheldon stating I can 't wait till next birthday. Then the SW part when they had the extra ticket. Did Penny or Bernie go? No Wil Wheaton went. Doesn't Opening night go against what most seem to be complaining about?

Being satisfied with sex and having a messy hair afterwards counts as a non-feminist approach?

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I'm not sure I understand this.

a ) viewers weren't voting for the most feminist episode (though some viewers' opinions may be influenced by how feminist an episode is, of course). They were voting for their favourite, which could be based on loads of factors. I didn't vote, but I might have picked opening night over bath item because I thought opening night was sweet, well-acted, and cleverly structured (with the movie plot mirroring the coitus plot to essentially write a love letter to fandom and what it means to eagerly await something and build it up in your head). Bath item I remember as being a fairly average episode with one outstanding scene. Like locomotive Manipulation. The scenes ARE wonderful, don't get me wrong. But we're not ranking favourite scenes, but favourite episodes.

b ) I don't think either bath item or opening night were feminist or anti feminist. Neither episode had interactions that spoke to gender politics, did they? For opening night: Well, some of us may wish penny and Bernie had more to do in the episode, but even with that complaint I found much to love. And, if you like, the episode's focus on Amy's sexual pleasure, and Sheldon's meticulousness about getting consent, could be seen as pretty feminist.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Desdemona said:

That's sweet! But where do you want to take me? I hope you don't have a basement or attic where you would lock me up. My mother always told me not to go with strangers. :shy:

Oh, it sounded clever in my brain as I was typing it…(to many german words were running around in my head before, I guess). :icon_redface:

25 minutes ago, Desdemona said:

But seriously, I' m still recovering from the fact that my ex boyfriend did the Raj with me. (Two weeks before season 9 ended)

That’s pretty sad. Maybe there’s a silver lining enjoying a new Season of TBBT. :shy:

c_9.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, veejay said:

Oh, it sounded clever in my brain as I was typing it…(to many german words were running around in my head before, I guess). :icon_redface:

That’s pretty sad. Maybe there’s a silver lining enjoying a new Season of TBBT. :shy:

c_9.gif

I'm sorry I ran out of likes for today! Don't worry everything is fine. :shy:

I like to compare life with a box fight: when your adversary knocks you down, you have two choices: to give up and to stay on the ground or to stand up and keep fighting. 

Nice gif btw! I really hope for a lot of sweet moments for every couple and an end for Raj and his love interests.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I feel that for purposes of generating narrative tension the show will always have opposition between the two groups. If group A had been identified as primarily interested in dog sledding or extreme ironing then group B  would have been uninterested and dismissive  - because that's what helps drive the stories, cliche as that may be.

The show gave us Alice -just the once- to tantalise Leonard with the prospect of a fellow geek mate, so they - just the once - shown that female geeks exist. From time to time the partners will share interests - see the Thor/Hulk story - and Penny went to Who-con - so she does participate.

Are they excluding women by not having every partner share every interest? I'm not sure they are. I think it's more that they find more utility for story reasons in using the exaggeration of the two groups differences. It may seem unreasonable, but hey... look at Penny and Leonard's accomodation arrangements. Like that's reasonable?

And on the plus side -as said up thread - these women are successful in their careers and  - in two out of three cases - very much in control of their private lives. That's pretty good, isn't it?

https://goo.gl/images/JknlX2

We did also have another nerdy female character in Series 9, Episode 8. She was called Vanessa Bennett.

Edited by Strawberry
  • Like 5

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic