In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I'm not sure I understand this.

a ) viewers weren't voting for the most feminist episode (though some viewers' opinions may be influenced by how feminist an episode is, of course). They were voting for their favourite, which could be based on loads of factors. I didn't vote, but I might have picked opening night over bath item because I thought opening night was sweet, well-acted, and cleverly structured (with the movie plot mirroring the coitus plot to essentially write a love letter to fandom and what it means to eagerly await something and build it up in your head). Bath item I remember as being a fairly average episode with one outstanding scene. Like locomotive Manipulation. The scenes ARE wonderful, don't get me wrong. But we're not ranking favourite scenes, but favourite episodes.

b ) I don't think either bath item or opening night were feminist or anti feminist. Neither episode had interactions that spoke to gender politics, did they? For opening night: Well, some of us may wish penny and Bernie had more to do in the episode, but even with that complaint I found much to love. And, if you like, the episode's focus on Amy's sexual pleasure, and Sheldon's meticulousness about getting consent, could be seen as pretty feminist.

I probably didn't explain my self correctly. First of all people have been voting bath item for years. I agree what your saying about favorite scene and episode. Bath item isn't my favorite of all time either. people were complaining earlier about how the storylines have becoming very predictable and gender driven such as the guys doing geeky things, such as going to com icon  or seeing SW together and the girls are wine drinking  or shopping. I disagree with your assessment that the episode was about Amy's sexual pleasure. Sheldon was going to have coitus on his terms. It was for her birthday. Of course she was going to consent. That was predictable Her being satisfied predictable. Him saying let's do it again on your next birthday predictable. It seems he did it more out of obligation than anything else. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I probably didn't explain my self correctly. First of all people have been voting bath item for years. I agree what your saying about favorite scene and episode. Bath item isn't my favorite of all time either. people were complaining earlier about how the storylines have becoming very predictable and gender driven such as the guys doing geeky things, such as going to com icon  or seeing SW together and the girls are wine drinking  or shopping. I disagree with your assessment that the episode was about Amy's sexual pleasure. Sheldon was going to have coitus on his terms. It was for her birthday. Of course she was going to consent. That was predictable Her being satisfied predictable. Him saying let's do it again on your next birthday predictable. It seems he did it more out of obligation than anything else. 

Well yeah he went to P and B, for input. He determined Amy getting laid was the most desierable outcome. He loves Amy. But I always he felt obliged. Like "I liked that more then I thought I would". It was all to satisfy Amy. It was not earth shattering, i agree the whole thing was predictable. But I guess after dragging it out so long, how could it not be. ITs like with Suicide Squad, so much hype, it was never going to change the world. Same with Lenny wedding too. I feel now the two big moments have passed Lenny wedding, and Shamy coitus. They only have Penny Pregnancy up their sleeves. Lets be honest no one cares about Bernadtte being pregnant. If they want to go past 10, they are going to have to be less predictable. I just feel the show has become anti climatic. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Well yeah he went to P and B, for input. He determined Amy getting laid was the most desierable outcome. He loves Amy. But I always he felt obliged. Like "I liked that more then I thought I would". It was all to satisfy Amy. It was not earth shattering, i agree the whole thing was predictable. But I guess after dragging it out so long, how could it not be. ITs like with Suicide Squad, so much hype, it was never going to change the world. Same with Lenny wedding too. I feel now the two big moments have passed Lenny wedding, and Shamy coitus. They only have Penny Pregnancy up their sleeves. Lets be honest no one cares about Bernadtte being pregnant. If they want to go past 10, they are going to have to be less predictable. I just feel the show has become anti climatic. 

Opening Night was predictable? I would agree if you were purely talking about the guy's reaction to the film as they were always going to enjoy it being Star Wars die hards. Everything else wasn't predictable at all. The whole concept of them finally sleeping together was a shock to a lot of people including Shamy fans who were wondering if it was ever going to happen, the timing wasn't predictable either as they had only just got back together so it was unexpected. I think a lot of people thought if they were finally going to become intimate Amy would be the one to initiate it, but it was Sheldon who decided the time was right and wanted to do it. Amy's reaction after sex? Predictable or normal? Most people do enjoy sex, should she have hated it so to not make it predictable? I could go on but I am not going to.

3ku11 there are plenty of storylines big and small to explore. You might personally not care about Bernadette being pregnant but others do myself included as it will be interesting to see how they cope with parenthood and the impact it has on the group. And I think you are downplaying the importance of that couple as they were the first to get married and the first to have a child, that counts for something. Penny has her career still to sort out, Sheldon and Amy will be getting engaged at some point and then married. Raj has major trouble looming on the horizon with his love life that could either make him or break him. There are plenty of storylines imo still left to cover so I am not sure where you are coming from here.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:

Opening Night was predictable? I would agree if you were purely talking about the guy's reaction to the film as they were always going to enjoy it being Star Wars die hards. Everything else wasn't predictable at all. The whole concept of them finally sleeping together was a shock to a lot of people including Shamy fans who were wondering if it was ever going to happen, the timing wasn't predictable either as they had only just got back together so it was unexpected. I think a lot of people thought if they were finally going to become intimate Amy would be the one to initiate it, but it was Sheldon who decided the time was right and wanted to do it. Amy's reaction after sex? Predictable or normal? Most people do enjoy sex, should she have hated it so to not make it predictable? I could go on but I am not going to.

3ku11 there are plenty of storylines big and small to explore. You might personally not care about Bernadette being pregnant but others do myself included as it will be interesting to see how they cope with parenthood and the impact it has on the group. And I think you are downplaying the importance of that couple as they were the first to get married and the first to have a child, that counts for something. Penny has her career still to sort out, Sheldon and Amy will be getting engaged at some point and then married. Raj has major trouble looming on the horizon with his love life that could either make him or break him. There are plenty of storylines imo still left to cover so I am not sure where you are coming from here.

Shamy coitus wasn't if but when. If you put blinders on I suppose it was a surprise. Sheldon might of had the idea of  coitus but needed Penny's reassurance. Again nothing new. He has always sought her advice. The bed scene. If that was thirty years ago she would of had a cigarette in her hand. The whole of them getting back together predictable. In the terms of them getting back together coitus was quick. Overall after 5.5 years no. I think any Howdette storylines are downplayed because there not the two main couples. I think there some smaller one some that you have suggested. But the Shamy wedding? And the Penny baby? Are the big ones and the way the writers have been there is no guarantee it going to happen. Lenny is still living with Sheldon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

@wowbagger and @Lionne  I agree with EVERY single point you raised. You are soo awesome ! If I could like your posts multiple times, I would ! And yeah, I didn't mean to target Opening Night Excitation specifically. It is a nice ep. Opening Night is just a part of a bigger problem that you highlighted so eloquently. 

I recall exactly 4 girls who were interested in dating Sheldon or Leonard or Raj , and who were also the kind of girls who would be up for some geeky fun - Martha, Abby, Alice and Vanessa(in chronological order of their appearance)

I think Claire would qualify. Her first scene was in a comic book store and she wanted help writing a science fiction movie script for kids.

Raj: Well, I’ve never seen you here before, Claire.

Claire: It’s my first time. I’m looking for inspiration for this movie I’m writing.

Howard: You’re a screenwriter?

Claire: Well, screenwriter, slash bartender, slash, a month away from living in my car.

Raj: Yeah, I get that. I’m a scientist, slash party planner, slash small-dog enthusiast, slash guy who probably should have stopped at scientist.

Claire: You’re really a scientist?

Raj: Well, astrophysicist.

Claire: That’s perfect. Do you think I could pick your brain for my movie some time? It’s animated sci-fi for kids.

Raj: Sure. I love animated movies.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2016 at 8:34 PM, DoctorWhat said:

(but I'd also like to also state I could definitely imagine Amy/Mayim with a vintage curled bob cut)

Amy is "a cute bespectacled neuroscientist with hair the color of mud" and "a cute ball of wool".

Please, let's not change that.

On 8/15/2016 at 2:07 AM, Nogravitasatall said:

4. Millions of Grandmas and Grandpas smiling quietly and fist bumping.

Only bumping fists? 

Surely uglies as well? :icon_biggrin:

On 8/15/2016 at 8:42 AM, Chiany said:

Nightcap means the had a drink before going to sleep.

Or, it could be:-

"the hat you don while wearing a nightshirt and holding a candle", of which Sheldon has one. :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 3

Well of course the show has had minor Female Characters with Geeky interests. Claire Recently, Vanesssa last season too, who Sheldon should of went out with hahaha. Then their was Martha, Abby  (Who instantly recognised the Hulk Hands, my heart well ever go on for her), and my all time Fav Alice. Always wanted her to be a regular. But guess they went the Amy and Bernie, in the field of science, but relatable at the same time route. I would of loved a Female Geeky Character to be a permenant fixture. As while those other characters were fitting the profile, they are mostly cameos. They could of found a way pre Amy and Bernadette, to fit Alice as a regular in S5, but that ship has sailed. Clearly Amy and Bernadette were brought in, to diminish or I guess you could say Dilute the Lenny story. As to expand more stories, with Howard and Sheldon having girlfriends, and serious relatonships. As to spin out the show over more lucrative seasons. Downplay maybe a better word, then Dilute. 

And yes I know their are still so many stories the show can tell. My point was that the majory storylines have past them. IT is like the major topic the change of Sheldon. HE was such a unique character, even a slight alteration was going to get a reaction. Let alone the huge change, that has happened. He is no longer deadpan, honest, and unique. HE is comical, giggly, and kinda stupid lol., I never found him likeable. I Don't think I was meant to, he is the anti hero of the show. I mean it is hard to change a sitcom, and develop characters. Without changing the narrative. The spectrum is hard. They are not going to maintain Sheldon in his uniquness, and still be Amy's snuggle bunny. And stil develop his character, that was unrealistic. You cannot please everyone. I would rather see Sheldon maintain his quirks and be happy in his respective relationship. Then watch him observe is Friends and their SO's, and being happy. How is that funny? IT is not. 

• Like 2

With Brandon Jones as another guest star, I wonder if it's a possibility the next taping is for episode 10x03 ?

Strange you mentioned that. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I just got this feeling that S10x01 will not be taped until the 30th Aug.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

They are the military im sure they know their whereabouts and where to find them. They could have turned up at the end of S10x1 to set up the plot for E2. I don't know just guessing here.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kerrycec03 said:

Man I'm sorta dying to hear about E1 to see how all these guests pan out in 22 minutes!!  I don't think this guy Brandon is a big part though.  We'll see...

When has the show last been 22 minutes?

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, Lionne said:

Now, Amy has her awesome "days of yore" passions, which I love about her. It's not wrong that the show didn't take the opportunity to go in this direction, but sometimes when all three girls are  cracking jokes or mocking those interests, while guzzling away the red wine, I feel it's an awfully sexist divide (guys love their geeky passions! Girls huff and roll their eyes) and it's very stereotypical and certainly not very fresh or original. 

I envy you that one of the signs that you (correctly) cite as showing that the show is not being fresh is that. I think that there are much more blatant things such as the living arrangements since that is IMO, much more a sign as how stale the show has become. I don't know exactly (and I'm not saying it couldn't actually be) if the fact that the girls mock the guys' interests can be construed as sexist. I believe that it is just bad writing. Even though I did not quote your paragraph that followed, I indeed agree with you that the writers don't seem to want to take too many risks. At this stage I think there are several things wrong with TBBT writing, but...whatever.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if S10E01 was a one-hour season opener (not two episodes, but one continuous episode (that can later be split for syndication)).

It could possibly be, if they have so many guest stars. They may consider an hour opener. SO half an hour for the Alfred Mary stuff. Then next half hour Lenny's re do. 

22 minutes ago, bigbangsheldon said:

I got to go on set today at the WB tour and Was really exciting, saw a Sciency looking set, an office, rajs apartment I think, Howard and bernadrttes kitchen and Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and I think there was another I couldn't see! No idea what's going on. Didn't look like anything weddingy so confused 

With the lack of bts guest star chatter (as somebody else already noted) and now no sets that point to a wedding maybe they're really filming 10x03??

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, bigbangsheldon said:

I got to go on set today at the WB tour and Was really exciting, saw a Sciency looking set, an office, rajs apartment I think, Howard and bernadrttes kitchen and Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and I think there was another I couldn't see! No idea what's going on. Didn't look like anything weddingy so confused 

One of the guys office or maybe Bernadette's?

Yeah looking likely 10x03. Kinda over this approved comments thing, really inconvinient lol. But it is what it is. But interesting what the plot well be for 10x03. I guess it is probably getting harder and harder to find new ideas. 

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

. I don't know exactly (and I'm not saying it couldn't actually be) if the fact that the girls mock the guys' interests can be construed as sexist. I believe that it is just bad writing.

hee! It can be both!

I am sure that the writing team is not obviously sexist. As in I am sure they'd be horrified if you walked up to them and said 'women are inferior' or whatever. I agree that it is just lazy writing that has them choose to give the science plots to the guys and to give the girls the option of wine/gossip/rolling their eyes at their menfolk. But the way that it comes out? You have 19 minutes to tell a story each week, and whenever you have a science/nerdery plot, you mostly give it to the guys. You might be the most progressive people in the world, writers, but this choice tells me that you are more interested in the guys' scientific minds, or interests, than in the girls'. Either that, or you think your audience is, and you are pandering. Either way, it's dodgy.

and more to the point, as you and lio note, it's bad writing. Mix it up, people!

• Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic