[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

11 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

hee! It can be both!

I am sure that the writing team is not obviously sexist. As in I am sure they'd be horrified if you walked up to them and said 'women are inferior' or whatever. I agree that it is just lazy writing that has them choose to give the science plots to the guys and to give the girls the option of wine/gossip/rolling their eyes at their menfolk. But the way that it comes out? You have 19 minutes to tell a story each week, and whenever you have a science/nerdery plot, you mostly give it to the guys. You might be the most progressive people in the world, writers, but this choice tells me that you are more interested in the guys' scientific minds, or interests, than in the girls'. Either that, or you think your audience is, and you are pandering. Either way, it's dodgy.

and more to the point, as you and lio note, it's bad writing. Mix it up, people!

TBF the show started out with geeky scientific guys, so maybe they are just sticking to the premise. Amy and Bernadette are not main characters, just supporters. So maybe they have never thought to give them some Science Plots. For limited screen time maybe. 

• Like 1

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I'm gong to type up a quick repost.. I's tired af and I didn't take notes so it will be brief. I will add dialog but it wont be accurate to the actual taping as there were lots of re-writes. T

Hi all. Just a quick report. Got to pack our bags for a flight to San Francisco in the morning Episode was called "The Separation Agitation". If anything it was centered on Bert and StuHowardette mor

OK, here's the full taping report, courtesy of a super kind and likeable person. A million thanks to her. The unaltered wording reads as follows:  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, bigbangsheldon said:

I got to go on set today at the WB tour and Was really exciting, saw a Sciency looking set, an office, rajs apartment I think, Howard and bernadrttes kitchen and Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and I think there was another I couldn't see! No idea what's going on. Didn't look like anything weddingy so confused 

Thanks for sharing.  :shy:

s_056.gif

• Like 9

2 hours ago, bigbangsheldon said:

I got to go on set today at the WB tour and Was really exciting, saw a Sciency looking set, an office, rajs apartment I think, Howard and bernadrttes kitchen and Sheldon and Leonard's apartment and I think there was another I couldn't see! No idea what's going on. Didn't look like anything weddingy so confused 

Interesting, might suggest they are filming episode 3 next. I guess you can't rule out it being episode 1 they are filming next because even the writers have said during the break there is a 'possibility' we might not even see a re-do.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, April said:

With the lack of bts guest star chatter (as somebody else already noted) and now no sets that point to a wedding maybe they're really filming 10x03??

Maybe.... the re-do is a pre-taped bit. If it's some type of hall that does weddings, they may be taping on location somewhere.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbangsheldon said:

looked like an office like when they were asking the university if they could do something rather than someone's individual office

thanks for sharing!  Glad you had fun

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Carlos said:

I envy you that one of the signs that you (correctly) cite as showing that the show is not being fresh is that. I think that there are much more blatant things such as the living arrangements since that is IMO, much more a sign as how stale the show has become. I don't know exactly (and I'm not saying it couldn't actually be) if the fact that the girls mock the guys' interests can be construed as sexist. I believe that it is just bad writing. Even though I did not quote your paragraph that followed, I indeed agree with you that the writers don't seem to want to take too many risks. At this stage I think there are several things wrong with TBBT writing, but...whatever.

I agree. I always hated the that the girls mocked the guys' interests. For what it is worth, I also hate that the guys make little effort to do what the girls like. Sexism goes both ways. And yes, the living arrangements are bizarre, to say the least. 

14 hours ago, wowbagger said:

hee! It can be both!

I am sure that the writing team is not obviously sexist. As in I am sure they'd be horrified if you walked up to them and said 'women are inferior' or whatever. I agree that it is just lazy writing that has them choose to give the science plots to the guys and to give the girls the option of wine/gossip/rolling their eyes at their menfolk. But the way that it comes out? You have 19 minutes to tell a story each week, and whenever you have a science/nerdery plot, you mostly give it to the guys. You might be the most progressive people in the world, writers, but this choice tells me that you are more interested in the guys' scientific minds, or interests, than in the girls'. Either that, or you think your audience is, and you are pandering. Either way, it's dodgy.

and more to the point, as you and lio note, it's bad writing. Mix it up, people!

But it is not bad/lazy writing . The writers deliberately wanted the guys to end up with girls who mocked their interests and rolled their eyes at them. Otherwise,  if they wanted to, don't you think in 9 years they would have introduced, at least one  major female character who loved to have fun with the guy's geeky pastimes ? LOL. That is because it goes against the narrative they are pushing. I mean this is a show that made punchline out of Howard simply saying "Lets play D&D". They want you to mock Howard.  Anyway, it is what it is. It is not bad, but it could have been better, is all.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
Removed off topic material
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

But it is not bad/lazy writing . The writers deliberately wanted the guys to end up with girls who mocked their interests and rolled their eyes at them. Otherwise,  if they wanted to, don't you think in 9 years they would have introduced, at least one  major female character who loved to have fun with the guy's geeky pastimes ? LOL. That is because it goes against the narrative they are pushing. I mean this is a show that made punchline out of Howard simply saying "Lets play D&D". They want you to mock Howard.  Anyway, it is what it is. It is not bad, but it could have been better, is all.

That's not the same as the guys getting all the science plots. Amy and Bernie are scientists and it's high time they got a science plot of their own (fortunately it looks like Amy will get one). The girls can mock the guys' interests all they want but that has nothing to do with science wich is something Amy and Bernie are involved with.

21 minutes ago, Judith said:

That's not the same as the guys getting all the science plots. Amy and Bernie are scientists and it's high time they got a science plot of their own (fortunately it looks like Amy will get one). The girls can mock the guys' interests all they want but that has nothing to do with science wich is something Amy and Bernie are involved with.

It can be both ! They should have science arcs, no one is disagreeing,  but it is still not very funny(actually gets stale) to watch them mock/roll eyes at  their partner's interests. That goes for the guys too. The show can be funny without Bernadette wanting to throw out Howard's Tardis. JMO of course. 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Judith said:

Nog takes a wild stab... 

Bernie got a science story with the infection that put her in isolation, Amy has run assorted dissections on camera and had at least one feature publication in a prestigious journal. Big stuff. True these are more asides than plots. But they are definitely portrayed as competent, and even outstanding, scientists. 

I think the challenge is that the protagonist of the show was originally Leonard, with protagonist status cascading outwards to include Sheldon, then to Howard & Raj. The antagonists have been variously everyone else that has ever appeared, including the main supporting cast.

I feel it's not so much about gender. It's not impossible for the writers to give the supporting cast bigger stories sometimes but they are supporting cast.  They could write anything, but they are unlikely to because there is a reason headlining cast get (and want to keep) top billing, top bucks and the centre of the stage. :) 

(Myself, I'd like them to write the accomodation more realistically, but the premise precludes that and the show still does well, regardless of the unfunny ridiculousness it has had to impose on itself.)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

Tbf you see more of Amy in the lab then the guys imo. Shows done a god job of portraying A and B as competent sceintists. But I agree as they are not the Protagonists, just supporters. It is hard to give them more then that. So I don't think its sexist or lazy writing, anymore then it is for the girls to diss the guys hobbies, which I don't think happens all that much tbh. And that never bothered me tbh. It's just the narrative, they are choosing to stick too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

It can be both ! They should have science arcs, no one is disagreeing,  but it is still not very funny(actually gets stale) to watch them mock/roll eyes at  their partner's interests. That goes for the guys too. The show can be funny without Bernadette wanting to throw out Howard's Tardis. JMO of course. 

Of course it can be both, my point was that wanting more science plots for the girls isn't about them mocking the guys' interests.

I should have been more clear...You quoted @wowbagger and highlighted the part where she said that she wants more science plots for the girls and not every s.p. to go to the guys which you answered by saying that it's just the show's writing to have the girls mock the guys' interests, to which I said that these two things are different.

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Nog takes a wild stab... 

Bernie got a science story with the infection that put her in isolation, Amy has run assorted dissections on camera and had at least one feature publication in a prestigious journal. Big stuff. True these are more asides than plots. But they are definitely portrayed as competent, and even outstanding, scientists. 

I think the challenge is that the protagonist of the show was originally Leonard, with protagonist status cascading outwards to include Sheldon, then to Howard & Raj. The antagonists have been variously everyone else that has ever appeared, including the main supporting cast.

I feel it's not so much about gender. It's not impossible for the writers to give the supporting cast bigger stories sometimes but they are supporting cast.  They could write anything, but they are unlikely to because there is a reason headlining cast get (and want to keep) top billing, top bucks and the centre of the stage. :) 

(Myself, I'd like them to write the accomodation more realistically, but the premise precludes that and the show still does well, regardless of the unfunny ridiculousness it has had to impose on itself.)

Yeah, but these were many episodes ago. I'm not sure about Bernie but Amy only had one off-screen conference that she went to in season 9. No one's saying that they should be treated like anything but the supporting cast that they are. It's not that hard to give a secondary character a nice science plot once a season, or to see them in their workplace. In the past it happened more so it should be able to happen again. It's not that I don't like seeing Amy drink wine and gossip, it's just that she's a scientist which IMO is her main characteristic so I'd like to see her be a scientist occasionally. 

ETA: I think it's both sexism and a matter of who's the protagonist. When I see the guys constantly having work plots/scenes and the girls always at Penny's drinking wine and gossiping (which hadn't happened as much in previous seasons) I can't help but think that it's sexism-related. Or at the very least ignorance.

That's not to say though that I don't agree that the supporting cast will be sacrificed for the protagonist s if they have to. I guess that in the past we saw Amy more in her lab because we still got to know her...Now we do, so her main setting will be with Penny. And in this past season she was all about her love life while Sheldon had science plots. So we can say that the writers had to choose which part of Amy they'd sacrifice for the season and decided that the science plots for Amy would be that. That's in part show economics which I get. 

Anyway, we'll probably have a science plot for Amy in s10 which is a good start.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 4

Well, hopefully they will all get science based plots and less cringey humor in s10.

BTW Have they ever not shown an episode at a taping ? Is tomorrow's taping for 10.01 or 10.03 ? 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Well, hopefully they will all get science based plots and less cringey humor in s10.

BTW Have they ever not shown an episode at a taping ? Is tomorrow's taping for 10.01 or 10.03 ? 

The clues given to us in the Season 10 Spoiler thread by a forum member who did the WB tour yesterday do not point to a wedding redo episode.  So it would seem that they might be taping 10x3, but who knows?  

• Like 3

On 23 August 2016 at 11:43 AM, Judith said:

Of course it can be both, my point was that wanting more science plots for the girls isn't about them mocking the guys' interests.

I should have been more clear...You quoted @wowbagger and highlighted the part where she said that she wants more science plots for the girls and not every s.p. to go to the guys which you answered by saying that it's just the show's writing to have the girls mock the guys' interests, to which I said that these two things are different.

Yeah, but these were many episodes ago. I'm not sure about Bernie but Amy only had one off-screen conference that she went to in season 9. No one's saying that they should be treated like anything but the supporting cast that they are. It's not that hard to give a secondary character a nice science plot once a season, or to see them in their workplace. In the past it happened more so it should be able to happen again. It's not that I don't like seeing Amy drink wine and gossip, it's just that she's a scientist which IMO is her main characteristic so I'd like to see her be a scientist occasionally. 

ETA: I think it's both sexism and a matter of who's the protagonist. When I see the guys constantly having work plots/scenes and the girls always at Penny's drinking wine and gossiping (which hadn't happened as much in previous seasons) I can't help but think that it's sexism-related. Or at the very least ignorance.

That's not to say though that I don't agree that the supporting cast will be sacrificed for the protagonist s if they have to. I guess that in the past we saw Amy more in her lab because we still got to know her...Now we do, so her main setting will be with Penny. And in this past season she was all about her love life while Sheldon had science plots. So we can say that the writers had to choose which part of Amy they'd sacrifice for the season and decided that the science plots for Amy would be that. That's in part show economics which I get. 

Anyway, we'll probably have a science plot for Amy in s10 which is a good start.

Well, it is entirely conceivable you are likely not wrong. Art mirrors life and sometimes it is about stupidity, not craft. So assume that it is structural sexism, baked into the premise. Hard to back it out at this stage. Maybe TBBT will get adventurous in their final hours, but that has rarely boded well for life extensions for popular entertainment. People like more of what they had before.  

I'd personally like the good ol' boy component to be more pointedly satirised. It's well and good to ask for more plot balance, but if the "women (as) egg sandwiches" act continues to go on in the foreground without a consequence, then a background science plot for Amy is not actually levelling the scales.

But let us be hopeful, as you say.

cheers

Edited by Nogravitasatall
Added emphasis
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Well, it is entirely conceivable you are likely not wrong. Art mirrors life and sometimes it is about stupidity, not craft. So assume that it is structural sexism, baked into the premise. Hard to back it out at this stage. Maybe TBBT will get adventurous in their final hours, but that has rarely boded well for life extensions for popular entertainment. People like more of what they had before.  

I'd personally like the good ol' boy component to be more pointedly satirised. It's well and good to ask for more plot balance, but if the "women (as) egg sandwiches" act continues to go on in the foreground without a consequence, then a background science plot for Amy is not actually levelling the scales.

But let us be hopeful, as you say.

cheers

The original unaired pilot had Gilda who apparently had history with the original Sheldon at a Star Trek convention. see http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Gilda

Apparently between the unaired pilot and ant the pilot that became 1.01 a decision was made to drop the star trek nerd girl from the cast and to make Sheldon non sexual.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

The original unaired pilot had Gilda who apparently had history with the original Sheldon at a Star Trek convention. see http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Gilda

Apparently between the unaired pilot and ant the pilot that became 1.01 a decision was made to drop the star trek nerd girl from the cast and to make Sheldon non sexual.

Yeah I Think the idea for a Geeky Chick kinda died with the premise. I know theirs a few Parallel Universe ideas thrown around. With Penny is the geeky girl next door living across from Four Very Hot Men :icon_razz:. I Think that could be funny. Albiet, the ship wars. 

12 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

IS that from the Unaired Pilot? Leonard awkward as hell lol. Sheldon was so thin. 

Not likely as both Howard and Raj are in the picture.  Season one , I think. 

55 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Not likely as both Howard and Raj are in the picture.  Season one , I think. 

Your memory is way better than mine! Yeah it was Season 1 Episode 3 'The Fuzzy Boots Corollary', salsa dancing with some middle aged/older ladies (remembered the scene vaguely but had to look it up lol).

Happy Taping day everyone!

BigBangTheory-HappyDance.gif

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic