Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, SRAM said:

Was Kaley talking directly to Johnny, inferring there is a problem with him signing up for another season?

Remeber J&K negotiates as a unit. IMO this is another indication of troubled negotiations, that perhaps J&K are having to fight for parity with Jim this time since TBTB now consider him THE STAR and may be less willing to maintain the historic equality of the big three.

If Jim gets a VERY good deal can they afford to give it to Johnny and Kaley to? Would they even be willing to? We know at the shows age all salaries are high and profit is the main issue for the financial/production side of the show

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I'm gong to type up a quick repost.. I's tired af and I didn't take notes so it will be brief. I will add dialog but it wont be accurate to the actual taping as there were lots of re-writes. T

Hi all. Just a quick report. Got to pack our bags for a flight to San Francisco in the morning Episode was called "The Separation Agitation". If anything it was centered on Bert and StuHowardette mor

OK, here's the full taping report, courtesy of a super kind and likeable person. A million thanks to her. The unaltered wording reads as follows:  

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Remeber J&K negotiates as a unit. IMO this is another indication of troubled negotiations, that perhaps J&K are having to fight for parity with Jim this time since TBTB now consider him THE STAR and may be less willing to maintain the historic equality of the big three.

If Jim gets a VERY good deal can they afford to give it to Johnny and Kaley to? Would they even be willing to? We know at the shows age all salaries are high and profit is the main issue for the financial/production side of the show

Those are some of my thoughts too.  Based on last two seasons and this season so far, I can't see any agent not saying Jim is the star of the show and should get a big raise over Johnny and Kaley.  The producers sort of put the negotiations into this situation by singling out his character in the show.  If they had kept the show equal with the main three then they would have had a better position to negotiate with Jim, like the did in the previous negotiations.

8 minutes ago, Tensor said:

In a discussion with Tripper,(You'd be surprised at how many ideas I get when I'm discussing something else with Tripper). Anyway, there were some comments, on the main site, complaining about how many repeats of TBBT are run.  I did some checking to find a reason for all TBBT repeats.  It basically comes down to the fact it  is one of the few shows on now, that makes it worthwhile to run them.  A few years ago, it was normal to run repeats and they brought in enough of an audience to make it worthwhile to the network.  But now?  Let's look.  

One reason for the repeats are simply there are many more weeks in the television season, than there are shows.  36 weeks vs 24 (at the max) shows.   Different networks handle things differently.  Fox and NBC tend to run drams for nine weeks, then take a hiatus, with a return in the spring.   This year Empire ran nine episodes in the fall, and will return on the 22nd of March for another 9.   CBS just runs TBBT repeats when they have an open spot.  So how are all the shows doing.

 ABC has eight live action comedies.  The following numbers are for seven of them (I'm doing Modern Family separately). These seven have a total of 27 repeats, with a high, in demo, of 1.2 and a low of 0.5.   CBS has eight comedies on it's schedule.  I'll get to TBBT below.  So how do those other seven comedies on CBS do?  They ran a total of 14 repeats, with a high of 1.2 (Mom) and a low of 0.6 (several).  FOX's live action comedies have only run three repeats (from three shows), none of them getting over a 0.5 demo.  FOX Animation (four shows) has run 12, with a high of 1.1 and a low of 0.4.  NBC?  Give them points for trying.  They've run 14 repeats, off of four different shows,  with a high of 0.7 and a low of 0.2.  Those 1.2's 

So, next are the three most popular scripted shows, besides TBBT.    Modern Family has the second most repeats run, with eight.  They have a high of 1.3 and a low of 0.7.     This is Us has only run three, with a high of 0.8 and a low of 0.6.  And Empire, the demo leader (non-sports) last year have run ONE repeat, and that was a 0.8 (Last year, they only ran four, and all, except one, were below a 1.0.  The one that wasn't, was right at 1.0

How about TBBT?  They've run 12, the most of any show.  Their high is 1.9, their low is 1.2.  There were 82 repeats by all other comedies (and two dramas).   The highest was a Modern Family episode that hit 1.3.  That's the highest, It hit it one time.   There were two  1.2 demos, one by Mom and The Middle.  None of the other 23 shows could get to a 1.2.  

The low for a TBBT repeat is a 1.2 (and it only hit that once), all of TBBT repeats are higher, they roughly pull in a 1.5-1.6 . So, the low repeat for TBBT is higher or equal to the high for 25 out of 26 other comedy shows (with two high rated dramas included).  

The average demo for a first run episode this year is a 1.38.  Modern Family repeats are the only other show , beside TBBT to average over a 1.0, at 1.01.    TBBT repeats are averaging 1.52.  That's better than the average demo of the majority of new episodes, from all the other shows, this year.  Last year, CBS ran 24 repeats, and using the average demo for those repeats, it would have finished 52nd out of the over 120 broadcast last year.

As I said, some networks run their series in fall and spring blocks.  But, this doesn't affect how many shows they do.  If CBS followed the other networks, there simply wouldn't  be any TBBT repeats on TV between November and Feb-Mar.    And why would CBS want to do that?   CBS is getting a better demo with TBBT repeats than  most new shows get, and don't have to pay anything for it.

Do ads cost the same for a repeat and is a reapeat pure profit for them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JE7 said:

Remeber J&K negotiates as a unit. IMO this is another indication of troubled negotiations, that perhaps J&K are having to fight for parity with Jim this time since TBTB now consider him THE STAR and may be less willing to maintain the historic equality of the big three.

If Jim gets a VERY good deal can they afford to give it to Johnny and Kaley to? Would they even be willing to? We know at the shows age all salaries are high and profit is the main issue for the financial/production side of the show

We don't know anything about what is happening with the current negotiations..but J/K may be following the same strategy that they did they last time they pursued new contracts. "Favored Nations"  A negotiation tactic that their people employed last time.  We get what Jim gets.  They are looking to Jim's team to bring in a deal that everyone can sign off on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on everything I've read, if I were in Johnny's and Kaley's position I would not sign unless I got the same deal that Jim will be getting. It's the way it has been since the beginning of the series and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. I wouldn't feel right doing it for less than Jim. Besides that if I had any type of artistic integrity I would perhaps quit based on principle because how my character is being treated. All of that being said 1 million per episode can make you forget or at the very least not pay so much attention to some of your principles.

Come to think of it TPTB seem to have painted themselves into a corner, since the original 5 are all making around 1 million per episode if I'm not mistaken so I believe the actors have some leverage. We'll see what happens. I'd be totally OK with the show ending this season. While the money paid to actors seems well spent, the amount of money paid to the writers however big or small it is seems to be at best a very bad investment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Do ads cost the same for a repeat and is a reapeat pure profit for them?

No, ads are cheaper on repeats, as they are not bringing in the same amount of viewers.   Since ad cost depends on demo's, time it's run, and several other variables, it's really tough to get an ad cost for repeats.   My rule of thumb is half of the average new episode cost.   In most cases it's not right, but it's close enough to allow us to come to some conclusion. 

As for CBS, it's not pure profit, but the cost for running repeats is around 20-25% of running a new episode.  ..

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vonmar said:

We don't know anything about what is happening with the current negotiations..but J/K may be following the same strategy that they did they last time they pursued new contracts. "Favored Nations"  A negotiation tactic that their people employed last time.  We get what Jim gets.  They are looking to Jim's team to bring in a deal that everyone can sign off on.

You missed the point entirety. The question is would TBTB be WILLING to give J&K the same as Jim not would J&K accept the same as Jim as they have before.

A secondary question would be is Jim willing to accept parity or does he feel as the star that he deserves more?

20 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

IIRC, Jim, Kaley and John all have a favored nations contract. Whatever one gets, the two others get. So any other speculation is moot. The EP thing on "SHELDON" is a separate deal all together.

They do on THIS contract, everything is up for renegotiation at this time so what was in any previous contract is not guaranteed in a new one.

The EP thing is with the same group as the show so it can not be considered totally separate. Since it IS a perk to Jim from his employer who also employ the rest of the cast. No decent negtiator (cue William Shatner or better yet his apprentice) is going to let TBTB get away with "that's a separate deal"

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JE7 said:

You missed the point entirety. The question is would TBTB be WILLING to give J&K the same as Jim not would J&K accept the same as Jim.

A secondary question would be is Jim willing to accept parity or does he feel as the star that he deserves more?

I didn't miss your point at all. We know nothing about this negotiation. It's all speculation...right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I didn't miss your point at all. We know nothing about this negotiation. It's all speculation...right?

OK so you just ignored the point. Which was are the TBTB or Jim willing to stay with parity. And yes it is speculation what's your point? That parity is a given? Because that also is "just speculation"

If you don't want to consider it that's fine but some of us do, and wr are going to discuss the many possibilities whether others find some of those possibilities palatable or not is a different issue.

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I think it's obvious.

No it's not.

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

In a discussion with Tripper,(You'd be surprised at how many ideas I get when I'm discussing something else with Tripper). Anyway, there were some comments, on the main site, complaining about how many repeats of TBBT are run.  I did some checking to find a reason for all TBBT repeats.  It basically comes down to the fact it  is one of the few shows on now, that makes it worthwhile to run them.  A few years ago, it was normal to run repeats and they brought in enough of an audience to make it worthwhile to the network.  But now?  Let's look.  

One reason for the repeats are simply there are many more weeks in the television season, than there are shows.  36 weeks vs 24 (at the max) shows.   Different networks handle things differently.  Fox and NBC tend to run drams for nine weeks, then take a hiatus, with a return in the spring.   This year Empire ran nine episodes in the fall, and will return on the 22nd of March for another 9.   CBS just runs TBBT repeats when they have an open spot.  So how are all the shows doing.

 ABC has eight live action comedies.  The following numbers are for seven of them (I'm doing Modern Family separately). These seven have a total of 27 repeats, with a high, in demo, of 1.2 and a low of 0.5.   CBS has eight comedies on it's schedule.  I'll get to TBBT below.  So how do those other seven comedies on CBS do?  They ran a total of 14 repeats, with a high of 1.2 (Mom) and a low of 0.6 (several).  FOX's live action comedies have only run three repeats (from three shows), none of them getting over a 0.5 demo.  FOX Animation (four shows) has run 12, with a high of 1.1 and a low of 0.4.  NBC?  Give them points for trying.  They've run 14 repeats, off of four different shows,  with a high of 0.7 and a low of 0.2.  Those 1.2's 

So, next are the three most popular scripted shows, besides TBBT.    Modern Family has the second most repeats run, with eight.  They have a high of 1.3 and a low of 0.7.     This is Us has only run three, with a high of 0.8 and a low of 0.6.  And Empire, the demo leader (non-sports) last year have run ONE repeat, and that was a 0.8 (Last year, they only ran four, and all, except one, were below a 1.0.  The one that wasn't, was right at 1.0

How about TBBT?  They've run 12, the most of any show.  Their high is 1.9, their low is 1.2.  There were 82 repeats by all other comedies (and two dramas).   The highest was a Modern Family episode that hit 1.3.  That's the highest, It hit it one time.   There were two  1.2 demos, one by Mom and The Middle.  None of the other 23 shows could get to a 1.2.  

The low for a TBBT repeat is a 1.2 (and it only hit that once), all of TBBT repeats are higher, they roughly pull in a 1.5-1.6 . So, the low repeat for TBBT is higher or equal to the high for 25 out of 26 other comedy shows (with two high rated dramas included).  

The average demo for a first run episode this year is a 1.38.  Modern Family repeats are the only other show , beside TBBT to average over a 1.0, at 1.01.    TBBT repeats are averaging 1.52.  That's better than the average demo of the majority of new episodes, from all the other shows, this year.  Last year, CBS ran 24 repeats, and using the average demo for those repeats, it would have finished 52nd out of the over 120 broadcast last year.

As I said, some networks run their series in fall and spring blocks.  But, this doesn't affect how many shows they do.  If CBS followed the other networks, there simply wouldn't  be any TBBT repeats on TV between November and Feb-Mar.    And why would CBS want to do that?   CBS is getting a better demo with TBBT repeats than  most new shows get, and don't have to pay anything for it.

much clearer in my mind now. Thamks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Do you think jp will demand top billing now

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
 

Another interesting question and another possibility to add to the mix

I personally am not willing to stipulate that any or all involved parties are after a mutually fair agreement for everyone as opposed to what is best for them

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember some talk of a three year contract with an optional year based on CBS wanting to continue?   Was under the impression year 11 was a done deal based solely on ratings in year 10??  That was three years ago so I could be wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MadDuck27 said:

I remember some talk of a three year contract with an optional year based on CBS wanting to continue?   Was under the impression year 11 was a done deal based solely on ratings in year 10??  That was three years ago so I could be wrong!

That was the general consensus up untill the end of season 9 I believe events over the last year have proven those beliefs to be mistaken

Edited by JE7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MadDuck27 said:

I remember some talk of a three year contract with an optional year based on CBS wanting to continue?   Was under the impression year 11 was a done deal based solely on ratings in year 10??  That was three years ago so I could be wrong!

That was part of the reported deal they had made with their last contracts.   All of the actors who have spoken on it, say their contracts end at the end of this year.   It appears that the one year option was not part of the deal last time.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it could be that this time J&K are discussing plots more than they did last time. In two interviews Johnny said that continuation depends on the writers feeling they can write more. Perhaps now that they have made more than enough money and have seen their characters and screen time diminish terribly, they are more concerned about the potential plots than they were when they negotiated last time. Of course money plays a big role but perhaps their plots and positions are of greater priority to them now than they were before (I'm not saying greater than money, just greater than before).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a possibility and I personally hope it's the case. We are in a MUCH different place than we were for the last negotiations, the show is getting more expensive as the years go on, the screen time and plots of some characters have become more central than others, the cast has been playing these same roles for a decade now and some may be thinking of moving on and the big three at least have a bit of financial security so they don't really have to worry about the future in that regard. It changes the dynamic and even the last negotiations didn't go that smoothly as they caused a delay in taping untill they were finalized.

I don't think we can just assume things will work out just because they did last time and EVERYTHING may well be on the table.

Edited by JE7
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it getting very late for an announcement of any kind regarding season 11? Or is this the normal timetable?  I know we waited until the summer months last time for the actor's deals but should we have heard something definitive regarding CBS and their commitment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tensor said:

In a discussion with Tripper,(You'd be surprised at how many ideas I get when I'm discussing something else with Tripper). Anyway, there were some comments, on the main site, complaining about how many repeats of TBBT are run.  I did some checking to find a reason for all TBBT repeats.  It basically comes down to the fact it  is one of the few shows on now, that makes it worthwhile to run them.  A few years ago, it was normal to run repeats and they brought in enough of an audience to make it worthwhile to the network.  But now?  Let's look.  

One reason for the repeats are simply there are many more weeks in the television season, than there are shows.  36 weeks vs 24 (at the max) shows.   Different networks handle things differently.  Fox and NBC tend to run drams for nine weeks, then take a hiatus, with a return in the spring.   This year Empire ran nine episodes in the fall, and will return on the 22nd of March for another 9.   CBS just runs TBBT repeats when they have an open spot.  So how are all the shows doing.

 ABC has eight live action comedies.  The following numbers are for seven of them (I'm doing Modern Family separately). These seven have a total of 27 repeats, with a high, in demo, of 1.2 and a low of 0.5.   CBS has eight comedies on it's schedule.  I'll get to TBBT below.  So how do those other seven comedies on CBS do?  They ran a total of 14 repeats, with a high of 1.2 (Mom) and a low of 0.6 (several).  FOX's live action comedies have only run three repeats (from three shows), none of them getting over a 0.5 demo.  FOX Animation (four shows) has run 12, with a high of 1.1 and a low of 0.4.  NBC?  Give them points for trying.  They've run 14 repeats, off of four different shows,  with a high of 0.7 and a low of 0.2.  Those 1.2's 

So, next are the three most popular scripted shows, besides TBBT.    Modern Family has the second most repeats run, with eight.  They have a high of 1.3 and a low of 0.7.     This is Us has only run three, with a high of 0.8 and a low of 0.6.  And Empire, the demo leader (non-sports) last year have run ONE repeat, and that was a 0.8 (Last year, they only ran four, and all, except one, were below a 1.0.  The one that wasn't, was right at 1.0

How about TBBT?  They've run 12, the most of any show.  Their high is 1.9, their low is 1.2.  There were 82 repeats by all other comedies (and two dramas).   The highest was a Modern Family episode that hit 1.3.  That's the highest, It hit it one time.   There were two  1.2 demos, one by Mom and The Middle.  None of the other 23 shows could get to a 1.2.  

The low for a TBBT repeat is a 1.2 (and it only hit that once), all of TBBT repeats are higher, they roughly pull in a 1.5-1.6 . So, the low repeat for TBBT is higher or equal to the high for 25 out of 26 other comedy shows (with two high rated dramas included).  

The average demo for a first run episode this year is a 1.38.  Modern Family repeats are the only other show , beside TBBT to average over a 1.0, at 1.01.    TBBT repeats are averaging 1.52.  That's better than the average demo of the majority of new episodes, from all the other shows, this year.  Last year, CBS ran 24 repeats, and using the average demo for those repeats, it would have finished 52nd out of the over 120 broadcast last year.

As I said, some networks run their series in fall and spring blocks.  But, this doesn't affect how many shows they do.  If CBS followed the other networks, there simply wouldn't  be any TBBT repeats on TV between November and Feb-Mar.    And why would CBS want to do that?   CBS is getting a better demo with TBBT repeats than  most new shows get, and don't have to pay anything for it.

Really informative post there Tensor thanks! I know the show repeats do very well still over here in the UK but didn't know how great they still do over in the US.

I can see why CBS publicly anyway is very keen to keep the show on air.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

That is NOT true. You have to supply the car, but it could be from a driving school. Around here, when you sign up at a driving school for lessons, it usually include the car for the road test.

 

Sounds very convenient. And, now that you mention it, I remember student drivers coming to the DMV with their instructor for road tests. Mostly, I remember the instructors having to sit and wait while the test was given. They were not allowed to ride along...

Doesn't alter the show scenario. According to Sheldon, Amy taught him to drive. He did not attend a driving school. 

There could be any number of scenarios offered to explain this: Will Wheaton took him. Maybe it was Kripke. James Earl Jones may have had a free afternoon. In the end, knowing Sheldon, none of them make much sense. Sheldon would rely on the people that he's comfortable with and obviously none of them took him to get his license. There's also the issue with Sheldon keeping this a secret for two years. What happened to him being pathologically incapable of keeping a secret?

Another, and perhaps more disturbing, element of this is that while having a license he has continued to use his friends for transportation. Apparently because he feels important being chauffeured around. The arrogance of this attitude is reminiscent of original, homo nobles, Sheldon. Enlightened and evolved Sheldon should be more appreciative of his friends. They believe he needs their help and meet his transportation needs not knowing that he is using them to stroke his over inflated ego. New and improved Sheldon isn't being very nice. Not at all...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Sounds very convenient. And, now that you mention it, I remember student drivers coming to the DMV with their instructor for road tests. Mostly, I remember the instructors having to sit and wait while the test was given. They were not allowed to ride along...

Doesn't alter the show scenario. According to Sheldon, Amy taught him to drive. He did not attend a driving school. 

There could be any number of scenarios offered to explain this: Will Wheaton took him. Maybe it was Kripke. James Earl Jones may have had a free afternoon. In the end, knowing Sheldon, none of them make much sense. Sheldon would rely on the people that he's comfortable with and obviously none of them took him to get his license. There's also the issue with Sheldon keeping this a secret for two years. What happened to him being pathologically incapable of keeping a secret?

Another, and perhaps more disturbing, element of this is that while having a license he has continued to use his friends for transportation. Apparently because he feels important being chauffeured around. The arrogance of this attitude is reminiscent of original, homo nobles, Sheldon. Enlightened and evolved Sheldon should be more appreciative of his friends. They believe he needs their help and meet his transportation needs not knowing that he is using them to stroke his over inflated ego. New and improved Sheldon isn't being very nice. Not at all...

In my lone, personal opinion, for the most part, (with rare occurrences) Sheldon is not a nice person.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Don't most people who've had a friend or relative teach them to drive take one or two lessons with a trained instructor in a driving school car in order to rehearse the driving test and learn the route ? Isn't it usual to take the test in a driving school car ? 

I am beginning to see that how the process works depends heavily on where you live. In my area (Augusta, GA) most people take their test in a car they provide. Usually belonging to a parent, friend, or family member. Most often it is a parent since obtaining a first license is something done by a teenager. There are driving schools in this area, but not many. Certainly not enough to meet the demand represented by the number of prospective new drivers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.