The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

5 hours ago, serenaded214 said:

I don't think it matters what his reasons were for the gifts to either of them. What matters is that he spent 4grand on his former roommate. I would be insanely pissed if my bf spent that much on a friend no matter the reason.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Knowing Sheldon I think Penny would be fine with it. In fact maybe she knows about it, I don't think Leonard would tell Amy but not Penny. It has been implied several times throughout the show that Sheldon can be even much more insufferable than what we see of him on screen. This one was another joke about how insufferable he can be.

Edited by bfm
typo
  • Like 1

I just saw it as a gag. A Throwaway line. I don't think it's a reason to think Penny or Amy would get upset over it. Whether or not if ones respective parter in our lifes would be pisses, is irrelevant imo. It's a sitcom. 

Another episode as friends put things in drinks of another friends. It seems the writers think it is something normal to do when people feel the others are being a problem in someway. Tbh, everytime I see a scene like that, I got a bit sad, it is not necessary at all for writing good comedy.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 6

If we want be realistic, a lot of things in the show don't make sense, the first one  why Leonard put up with sheldon's foolishness  specially at the begining, I know it was because if not, we would't have show at all.

Along the show, we have seen Leonard puting up with sheldon's rules, schedules and demands, and complaining about it, in terms of real life the question is, why are you still living there?.The same goes for leonard and penny living with sheldon after marriage.

And  the gift in my opinion is part of that unrealistic plot in what leonard is willing to do anything in order to get Sheldon off his back, except the logical thing what is just stop living with him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

My thoughts are all over the place on our present topic. Curious that Amy knew of the gift certificate, but Howard did not. I feel that Penny probably was aware of its existence as well. TBBT has been extremely inconsistent regarding the topic of money. From The get-go, it was an issue for Penny. Always struggling to make ends meet, she was aided by the generosity of her neighbors (and the love of Leonard) to help her when needed. All of the guys hold advanced degrees-Howard and Leonard from very prestigious institutions. Not sure how much of their costs were supplemented by scholarships or grants. We know in Raj's case that his family is wealthy, so money is not an issue there (until the up-coming episode). Howard is a world-class engineer and is an astronaut as well. His,income is probably not too shabby. That being said it has been made clear that his wife is the main breadwinner in their family. Sheldon is frugal with his income and is even able to not cash paychecks having some stashed away in a drawer. Leonard has becom a curiosity. We found in Season 8 that he has what may be significant student loan debt. Other than his asking on the phone the cost of a dozen roses to send to Penny to cheer her up in Season 7, I can't recall it being an issue. 

I guess my point is that for most of the life of the show, we have been made not to think about money, other than Penny's lack thereof and Raj's situation.  Recent stories have thrown that all to the wind, asking us to re-think certain beliefs that have been taken for granted.....

I wasn't too surprised that Amy knew and Howard didn't. First of all, it concerns her, Sheldon is her boyfriend so Leonard could assume it might affect her (and it did). Second, I have come to believe that Leonard and Amy have gotten closer, as friends, since they became neighbors. I mostly saw it in "The Geology Elevation" ("Don't tell Howard") and "The Holiday Summation (the juice). Maybe it's just wishful thinking since I believe they could be great friends to each other, but IMO it's logical now that they presumably spend more time together and they seemed to be bonding over "Sheldon maintainence" stuff ("The Hot Tub Contamination", "The Holiday Summation"). I would like to see more of that. Amy had mentioned being jealous of Sheldon and Penny's friendship twice, having a good male friend may help her be more comfortable with it. We also know that both of them like complaining about work and their partners don't like hearing that, they could share complainta with each other :)

About the money stuff - it was never clear what is Leonard's situation in that aspect. He bought most of the furniture in 4a when he moved in and that was when he just started at Cal-Tech. Then we get some student loans and money is tight comments in S7 and S8. Then it's dropped. I have no idea what's going on there. Howardette in addition to Bernies salary also had inherited a house and probably everything his mother had. So it was weird that he was a little weird toe that he was stressing about money soon after finding out they're going to have a baby.

Edited by bfm
Spelling
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bfm said:

I wasn't too surprised that Amy knew and Howard didn't. First of all, it concerns her, Sheldon is her boyfriend so Leonard could assume it might affect her (and it did). Second, I have come to believe that Leonard and Amy have gotten closer, as friends, since they became neighbors. I mostly saw it in "The Geology Elevation" ("Don't tell Howard") and "The Holiday Summation (the juice). Maybe it's just wishful thinking since I believe they could be great friends to each other, but IMO it's logical now that they presumably spend more time together and they seemed to be bonding over "Sheldon maintainence" stuff ("The Hot Tub Contamination", "The Holiday Summation"). I would like to see more of that. Amy had mentioned being jealous of Sheldon and Penny's friendship twice, having a good male friend may help her be more comfortable with it. We also know that both of them like complaining about work and their partners don't like hearing that, they could share complainta with each other :)

About the money stuff - it was never clear what is Leonard's situation in that aspect. He bought most of the furniture in 4a when he moved in and that was when he just started at Cal-Tech. Then we get some student loans and money is tight comments in S7 and S8. Then it's dropped. I have no idea what's going on there. Howardette in addition to Bernies salary also had inherited a house and probably everything his mother had. So it was weird that he was a little weird toe that he was stressing about money soon after finding out they're going to have a baby.

I don't think Leonard bought most of the furniture in 4a when he moved in.  The furniture in his bedroom, yes but it was only the couch, which he got cheap and possible the coffee table in the living room.  Everything else was already there.

• Like 2

This is how I pictured before the taping of this Thursday's episode:

Chuck- I need you Steve to change the script. I don't like the idea of Lenny finally going on their honeymoon and discussing their issues.

Steve-  I thought it was a good idea. It's a follow up from last week's episode. They could be on the beach discussing their issues. Wardrobe already has a bikini Kaley could wear. Johnny rubbing oil on her back. I think it could be similar to what we did with jim last week.

Chuck- This is season 10 not season 3. Don't you know our audience. It 's mostly female. I don't care how hot Kaley looks in a bikini. It won't boost ratings.

Steve- what do you suggest?

Chuck- I have two storylines in mind. Bring back that guy that plays Bert. Have him hook up with Shamy and tell them that everyone at Cal Tech is talking about their once a year coitus. the other storyline would be about Raj. Kunal been complaining about screen time. It didn't help you had him and Stuart watching Howdette's imaginary baby. Maybe you can have him discuss his dependency on his parents money.

Steve- I don't know Chuck. After the tag last week I kind of assumed Shamy had sex.

Chuck-  the audience won't put  the tag and the once a year coitus together. The ones that do won't stop watching. Just make it happen.

Steve- Okay. I don't know about that Raj storyline. I thought we sort of handled that when we brought back the girls. I really think Lenny needs to be discussed.

Chuck- Why are you fighting me on this? You keep forgetting I got you for that Sheldon show. Raj has disappeared for awhile on the show. He needs a story. We have strung the Lenny fans that are left for awhile now. There not going anywhere.

Steve- I apologize Chuck. I will make it happen.

• Like 5

I guess for me tptb are so focused on sheldon the past doesnt matter as long as long as sheldon is center stage and they can have the rest of the characters bow to sheldons greatness

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 2/6/2017 at 3:26 AM, joyceraye said:

It was the first thing I thought of and wondered whether she'd married the man she admitted to Leonard she'd slept with when Leonard finished with her.

You mean her ex-boyfriend?

• Like 1

Top-notch physicists at Cal Tech who have government grants would make plenty of money.  Maybe not as much as sit-com actors but surely more than pharmaceutical reps.  And, by the way, Howard is MIT, Leonard is Cornell? Where did Sheldon get his PhD? And Raj? Do we know?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PatsyR said:

Top-notch physicists at Cal Tech who have government grants would make plenty of money.  Maybe not as much as sit-com actors but surely more than pharmaceutical reps.  And, by the way, Howard is MIT, Leonard is Cornell? Where did Sheldon get his PhD? And Raj? Do we know?

Leonard went to Princeton....

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

California Institute of Technology.

It's never been said where Sheldon got his PhD.  He's also got two.

• Like 1

Stephen Hawking,

I assume you know right off the top of your head, in which episode is Sheldon's alma mater mentioned?  And thanks to all who provided the schools of the other guys. I knew but had forgotten Princeton and Cambridge.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

It's never been said where Sheldon got his PhD.  He's also got two.

He has one of his Ph.D. diplomas framed in his office and you can read it's from Caltech (it's the one that Howard stole in The Parking Lot Exalation). Never mentioned in the show where he got the other one, nor where he went to college. I assume, given his age, he made his undergraduate studies near home, and in a not eminent institution, since they ran out pretty fast of maths professors which could teach him properly. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

My understanding is that scholars typically do NOT work at the same institution where they receive their doctorate, although could be different in physics. Maybe the one from Cal Tech is an honorary one? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PatsyR said:

My understanding is that scholars typically do NOT work at the same institution where they receive their doctorate, although could be different in physics. Maybe the one from Cal Tech is an honorary one? 

Not very usual, but it happens. There are Countries with explicit regulations against self-hires, but USA is not one of them. Even so, those regulations are more devoted to permeant positions than to scholarships, and at the moment Sheldon and the other guys are not on tenure track at Caltech.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PatsyR said:

I assume you know right off the top of your head, in which episode is Sheldon's alma mater mentioned?

It's not mentioned in any episode, but it is printed on the framed Diploma, that Howard takes from Sheldon's office wall, in The Parking Spot Escalation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PatsyR said:

I thought they all were tenure-track or has something changed?

They all applied for tenure (except Howard of course), but there was only one tenure position available.

As to who got tenure, it's never been revealed.

• Like 1