Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Recommended Posts

 

19 minutes ago, vonmar said:

From TBBT You Tube Channel...

 

Oh Boy!

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PatsyR said:

I thought they all were tenure-track or has something changed?

They guys, except Howard, are on the tenure track.  Whether or not they actually get tenure is another story.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood why Leonard would have had a lot of education debt--both of his parents were professors at Princeton and I always thought their kids got free rides.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vonmar said:

From TBBT You Tube Channel...

 

Final Jeopardy:

Alex Trebek- The final category is Television. On the tv show The Big Bang Theory the most over discussed and beaten into the ground topic on the show.

Contestant # 1- What is Shamy's once a year coitus.

Alex- Correct

Contestant # 2- What is Shamy's once a year coitus.

Alex- Correct

Contestant # 3- What is Shamy's once a year coitus

Alex- Correct. (Alex looking at crew members off screen). Guys we better come up with some tougher questions. Everyone knows that one.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

They all applied for tenure (except Howard of course), but there was only one tenure position available.

As to who got tenure, it's never been revealed.

When Sheldon returned from his train walkabout at the beginning of S8 he was given a junior professorship in order to keep him.I assumed he was one step nearer tenure thereby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

When Sheldon returned from his train walkabout at the beginning of S8 he was given a junior professorship in order to keep him.I assumed he was one step nearer tenure thereby.

That position is made up, as far as I know there's no such thing as "Junior Professor" in the USA Academia; it's a German temporary position, and not always involves tenure afterwords,  so I really don't understand what they were referring to. For sure it didn't help Sheldon in getting tenure, since two and a half years later nothing happened, and it's not like you have to wait that somebody dies to hire a new professor,  you would assume Caltech has enough funds to create tenure positions from time to time. Anyway, it's pretty unrealistic that three top-class physicists are still in the same Institution after 10+ years without a permanent position and don't apply anywhere else to get one. 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tensor said:

They guys, except Howard, are on the tenure track.  Whether or not they actually get tenure is another story.  

What does tenure track means in the USA? In my Country it means to land a temporary position (three or four years) which specifically entails that after the end of the contract, if you meet certain scientific requirements, you are automatically hired as a tenured  associate professor. That's why I thought the guys were not on tenure track right now, their temporary positions seem to not automatically lead to tenure.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

That position is made up, as far as I know there's no such thing as "Junior Professor" in the USA Academia; it's a German temporary position, and not always involves tenure afterwords,  so I really don't understand what they were referring to. For sure it didn't help Sheldon in getting tenure, since two and a half years later nothing happened, and it's not like you have to wait that somebody dies to hire a new professor,  you would assume Caltech has enough funds to create tenure positions from time to time. Anyway, it's pretty unrealistic that three top-class physicists are still in the same Institution after 10+ years without a permanent position and don't apply anywhere else to get one. 

We don't see Cal-Tech that much these days too. So In terms of continuity. I know Raj in the past kept his position. Through a visa based on his findings. It's not like a he guys discover anything new. So I guess as an audience we have to accept their temporary positions as permanent. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I've often wondered.

How did Penny find out, that they only had sex once a year?

Seems like Sheldon spread the word around quite well 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I've often wondered.

How did Penny find out, that they only had sex once a year?

There were a few lines said by Penny after s911 that showed she found out very earlier. Surely it was through girls talk between close girl friends which are what Penny, Bernie and Amy are. Something normal imo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the tenure thing the impression I took away from the episode was that the University came up with a way to prevent from happening again what happened between them when a position becomes open. Exact details are sketchy but I believed they were all now very close to getting a tenured position should positions become available again. As they work in different departments or fields, maybe as soon as a position becomes available they will likely get it?

Not a storyline I would revisit again some day and I hope the writers don't for obvious reasons.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Surely it was through girls talk between close girl friends which are what Penny, Bernie and Amy are. Something normal imo.

But didn't Amy sign a NDA?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonny said:

On the tenure thing the impression I took away from the episode was that the University came up with a way to prevent from happening again what happened between them when a position becomes open. Exact details are sketchy but I believed they were all now very close to getting a tenured position should positions become available again. As they work in different departments or fields, maybe as soon as a position becomes available they will likely get it?

Not a storyline I would revisit again some day and I hope the writers don't for obvious reasons.

Leonard and Sheldon. Maybe but I don't see them giving g tenure to Raj he is here on a work visa and has made no effort to become a citizen so he could be gone at anytime plus he really hasn't done anying "big" in his field to earn consideration

 

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But didn't Amy sign a NDA?

Yeah but agreements might be broken, it would not be the first time. And in tbbt world it might not seem very scandalous imo. It was a word agreement, it would not result anything serious to no one if broken.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But didn't Amy sign a NDA?

Depends on what is in the NDA lol.

I strongly suspected at the time the line was delivered that it was to do with more of the 'graphic' stuff, which presumably Sheldon didn't want out there because despite this being a group of tight-knit friends who love each other and are so very close to each other they also enjoy at times with great pleasure taking the piss/taking the mickey out of each other. Penny actually probably knows more than most what happened considering her line in 'The Opening Night Excitation' when she said they had a talk and gave him advice, and he often goes to her for real life advice because he is on record saying he admires her real life intelligence.

Since then more details have come out surprisingly from Sheldon with the genitals to behold line etc. But they are pretty tame things to be out there and clearly he is happy for them to be out there.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But didn't Amy sign a NDA?

She said she did but it wasn't clear what she wasn't supposed to disclose. That seems to have been left to the imagination of the audience. I assumed it was some detail/s  of what occurred in her bed. Bernie and Penny knew coitus was going to happen the first time before Amy did. Raj referred to the 9/11 event in 9/13 when they were in  Comic Center.

An interim decision not to do it again until Amy's next birthday seems to have been made after Sheldon's birthday, judged by Amy's expectation to see Sheldon in his birthday suit. The final decision must have been after they moved into 4B, possibly not until  after Brain Bowl. I suppose Amy told the other two and they'd have told their husbands and Raj even if Sheldon hadn't . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Depends on what is in the NDA lol.

I strongly suspected at the time the line was delivered that it was to do with more of the 'graphic' stuff, which presumably Sheldon didn't want out there because despite that this being a group of tight-knit friends who love each other and are so very close to each other they also enjoy at times with great pleasure taking the piss/taking the mickey out of each other. Penny actually probably knows more than most what happened considering her line in 'The Opening Night Excitation' when she said they had a talk and gave him advice, and he often goes to her for real life advice because he is on record saying he admires her real life intelligence.

Since then more details have come out surprisingly from Sheldon with the genitals to behold line etc. But they are pretty tame things to be out there and clearly he is happy for them to be out there.

This! Besides saying how many times they have usually sex doesnt mean  they were details splited out , lol! I always pictured the target of the NDA being more about performances and details about that. Because from shamy part, they have never hidden they had sex, so imo not big deal about the close friends knew their sex frequence, even bothers  me the insisting mocking tone about that. Course it be spread out from Sheldon to strangers was more serious but I think he kind of fixed it with Amy as what was related in tr.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Final Jeopardy:

Alex Trebek- The final category is Television. On the tv show The Big Bang Theory the most over discussed and beaten into the ground topic on the show.

Contestant # 1- What is Shamy's once a year coitus.

Alex- Correct

Contestant # 2- What is Shamy's once a year coitus.

Alex- Correct

Contestant # 3- What is Shamy's once a year coitus

Alex- Correct. (Alex looking at crew members off screen). Guys we better come up with some tougher questions. Everyone knows that one.

Seriously. If you enjoy the couple, then you probably enjoy loads of other things about them. If you don't enjoy the couple, surely you're sick to death of that discussion. Either way: let it go, show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Seriously. If you enjoy the couple, then you probably enjoy loads of other things about them. If you don't enjoy the couple, surely you're sick to death of that discussion. Either way: let it go, show.

I'm on the sick to death side. Although fans of the couple IMO are too. The other thing I'm sick of is Raj and his parents money discussion. I'm so excited to hear about both in one episode. Not.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Yeah but agreements might be broken, it would not be the first time. And in tbbt world it might not seem very scandalous imo. It was a word agreement, it would not result anything serious to no one if broken.

My point is, since Amy broke the NDA, she can't complain if Sheldon then broke it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spidergirl said:

This! Besides saying how many times they have usually sex doesnt mean  they were details splited out , lol! I always pictured the target of the NDA being more about performances and details about that. Because from shamy part, they have never hidden they had sex, so imo not big deal about the close friends knew their sex frequence, even bothers  me the insisting mocking tone about that. Course it be spread out from Sheldon to strangers was more serious but I think he kind of fixed it with Amy as what was related in tr.

Would of thought Bert heard about the model rocket since Sheldon mentioned that to Kripke. I would think that was more interesting to Kripke than the once a year thing.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My point is, since Amy broke the NDA, she can't complain if Sheldon then broke it too.

Oh well excellent then Sheldon is once again justified in his actions by his sycophants because "so and so did/said something first/worse" because God knows Sheldon couldn't possibly be in the wrong about anything

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.