[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

However I must say that fellow Lennies who feel disenfranchised and who cannot embrace the good moments as you do also have a right to voice their opinions.

Yes! Absolutely! And they do it. And at times I am among those who feel disenfranchised. :icon_wink:

• Like 4

I don't like Grey's Anatomy. I don't like This Is Us. I don't like Life in Pieces. I didn't like Parks & Recreations. I never wished any of them cancelled, because there are people who do/did like them. I just went and watched something else that I did like.

This is my experience, nothing more.

Edited by BigBang15
Embolded part that may be missed
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, snapepans said:

I don't like the plots they wrote for Shamy's split, and I hate that Shamy's split up took over all the show sometimes, and I think they actually "hurt" the other five characters.

Well stated and I agree with your viewpoint. This was a seminal point in the transition of the show to being exceedingly Shamy-centric. While it is not implausible to see the other characters being drawn into their relationship drama, it did cross into the dynamic of becoming too much. 

While I will always object to the artificially constructed Season 4 Lenny breakup, I did not have any objections to the Shamy hitting the reef. I honestly feel it was long overdue. Sheldon was a terrible person for Amy to be involved with and she should have dumped him long before she actually did. He is, for the most part, better now, but the relationship is still far too Sheldon centered for to be functional and healthy for Amy. Frankly, the question has to be asked: Why, knowing how he is and how his selfish behavior makes her feel, did Amy reenter the relationship at all? Is she that desperate? He is better, but he still sucks. Nothing in Sheldon's world comes before Sheldon. Nothing and no one.

As for Amy being one of the 'big 4', I don't think that's accurate. I don't think there is a big 4. Nor, a core 5, any more. There's the 'big 1 + 2' at this point. Howard is, in my opinion, more important than Amy, who falls into a grouping with Raj and Bernadette. 

Just my rambling thoughts....

• Like 7

I think we may make an analogy between people who dislike some things about a person they love and the fans's feelings for tbbt failures: it is a kind of love, as there are many kinds of love imo. The person loves and will love it, dispite the flaws and failures. And nobody has the right to say them to stop love. It is their choice and they have that right.

• Like 5

Just now, spidergirl said:

I think we may make an analogy between people who dislike some things about a person they love and the fans's feelings for tbbt failures: it is a kind of love, as there are many kinds of love imo. The person loves and will love it, dispite the flaws and failures. And nobody has the right to say them to stop love. It is their choice and they have that right.

Spot on! I care for and am invested in these characters. While I may not like some of the story lines, I watch because I want to see the characters. I don't like what they've done to Sheldon and really think they've ruined him, but every once in a while the real Sheldon shows up.

I watch "Scorpion" for the same reason. The story lines are often stupid and unbelievable, but I enjoy the actors portraying the characters.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

Yeah. Not gonna happen. 

I was a Lenny even before there was a Shamy. 

Leonard, Penny, and the ensemble dynamic, the brilliant writing is what is what got me hooked. TBBT has morphed into The Sheldon Show, which I find unfunny and insufferable. The writing has become sloppy, painful, predictable, and inexplicable to the point that sometimes I often wonder if the writers have ever watched their own show. The story arcs are too slow to play out, the plots are predictable, and the characterizations have gotten redundant and flat.  

So why do persist and continue to watch The Sheldon Show?

I watch because I remember the brilliance that was TBBT and hope that the writers attain that originality and cleverness once again.

I watch because I love the chemistry between 'realist' Leonard and 'dreamer' Penny.

I watch because of Johnny and Kaley and the desirous heat that they bring to the screen.

I watch because I love the companionship of my fellow Lennys and the joy that it brings.

I watch because I want a Lenny voice and POV to continue to be heard on this Forum despite being vastly outnumbered by both the Shennys and Shamys.    

So, like I said at the start of this. Leave? Fuhgettaboutit and find 'your happy place elsewhere'?

Pffffft. Yeah. Not gonna happen.

damn.gif.29e3e0aa5d9820fdde9fb7ff398cfca6.gif

Seriously. I give you a PhDork in the Anthroprobably of Cornfield-Penny and the Sophomorical of Laughs.
Sincerely,
VeeJay, Esquire ABC's & 123's of Several Hundreds.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

Count me among those fans who are happy to hear about a likely renewal!

If all the current reports are true, I’m really proud of ‘The Big 3’. To be honest, I was bothered by the idea of them seeking raises when they already make so much money. It’s the natural thing for them to do, I understand that, but they have two costars making far less than them, and given the current state of broadcast tv, the numbers would never work if they demanded too much. Agreeing to keep their current salary is probably the only way that the show could go on and keep all of its current cast members. It might (hopefully) even provide a way that Mayim and Melissa’s pay can be raised the way it ought to be.

I think the fact that they didn’t succumb to ego or greed shows a lot of respect for their fellow actors and the fans who love all the different characters.

While agreeing with the overall point of your post, it's a little hard to feel sorry for Mayim, or Melissa. If they appear in every episode this season they will both earn $2.4 million dollars. There will never be salary equity on TBBT as the 'big 1 + 2' are critical to the show in ways that the others are not. If the reports are true and JP, KC, and JG have re-signed at their current rates then I certainly applaud their lack of greed. Glad to know $24 million per season is enough to tide them over... :icon_razz:

According to one source, all 5 of the original cast will now make the same amount per episode. Good to see Simon rewarded for his brilliant portrayal of Howard.

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 7

I think there is a difference between being unhappy about an aspect of the show and being vocal about it and wishing for it to be cancelled. Have there been shows where I have suddenly gone off them and stopped watching? Absolutely, but I don't recall ever wishing to see them end, especially when others may like them. I just simply forget about that show and that's me done and dusted, even if I had watched it for a long time.

Maybe the simple answer is I've never had a show that I loved so much and got to that point? My favorite show of all time is The X-Files and I probably would have got to that point had it continued past Season 9 so that's the closest I have ever likely got to with a show I adored that I now couldn't stand watching anymore.

I hope that some posters on here can rediscover some of the love they had for the show during these next two seasons, this forum is a much better place when everyone or a clear majority is happy.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

If all the current reports are true, I’m really proud of ‘The Big 3’. To be honest, I was bothered by the idea of them seeking raises when they already make so much money. It’s the natural thing for them to do, I understand that, but they have two costars making far less than them, and given the current state of broadcast tv, the numbers would never work if they demanded too much. Agreeing to keep their current salary is probably the only way that the show could go on and keep all of its current cast members. It might (hopefully) even provide a way that Mayim and Melissa’s pay can be raised the way it ought to be.

I think the fact that they didn’t succumb to ego or greed shows a lot of respect for their fellow actors and the fans who love all the different characters.

Indeed. And I'm not surprised at all - I was actually expecting something like this. There were reports that their priority was with the legacy of the show instead of getting huge pay raises and judging by the recent reports that seemed to be true. I'm particularly elated to read that the original five are now all in this favoured nation deal - although that leaves Mayim and Melissa still out cause they were late to the party but they'll get a huge bump as well as reports go. They really deserve it! <3

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

They aren't going to get paid what the 5 get but surely that pay gap is going to close substantially? And rightly so!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, April said:

Indeed. And I'm not surprised at all - I was actually expecting something like this. There were reports that their priority was with the legacy of the show instead of getting huge pay raises and judging by the recent reports that seemed to be true. I'm particularly elated to read that the original five are now all in this favoured nation deal - although that leaves Mayim and Melissa still out cause they were late to the party but they'll get a huge bump as well as reports go. They really deserve it! <3

April, please help me out here. What does "favoured nation deal " mean in this context? :icon_neutral:

3 minutes ago, veejay said:

April, please help me out here. What does "favoured nation deal " mean in this context? :icon_neutral:

I'm referring to the "most favoured nation" kind of agreement which is when everyone gets what the most favoured person gets in a deal. For S8-10 it was Johnny and Kaley who had this MFN status and would get whatever Jim would get in the end. I've read in some articles that this now includes Kunal and Simon as well so that the original five will get the same basic salary.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, April said:

I'm referring to the "most favoured nation" kind of agreement which is when everyone gets what the most favoured person gets in a deal. For S8-10 it was Johnny and Kaley who had this MFN status and would get whatever Jim would get in the end. I've read in some articles that this now includes Kunal and Simon as well so that the original five will get the same basic salary.

So who is the most favored person in all of this ? I'm still confused lol. 

25 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

While agreeing with the overall point of your post, it's a little hard to feel sorry for Mayim, or Melissa. If they appear in every episode this season they will both earn $2.4 million dollars. There will never be salary equity on TBBT as the 'big 1 + 2' are critical to the show in ways that the others are not. If the reports are true and JP, KC, and JG have re-signed at their current rates then I certainly applaud their lack of greed. Glad to know $24 million per season is enough to tide them over... :icon_razz:

According to one source, all 5 of the original cast will now make the same amount per episode. Good to see Simon rewarded for his brilliant portrayal of Howard.

I don’t recall saying that I feel sorry for any of them… obviously none of them are hurting for money. But that doesn’t change the fact that the pay gap is substantial.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the salary issue. Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, and Amy have been the A plot for most of the season. I see comment after comment on here about how much of the show revolves around Shamy—storylines, screen time, and promos. I don’t quite understand how anyone can see how central they have become to the show (whether you love it or hate it) and then say that one-half of that important couple doesn’t deserve to be paid accordingly. You’re certainly welcome to have your own opinion, though, whether I understand it or not :)  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

So who is the most favored person in all of this ? I'm still confused lol. 

Jim. As the story goes during the negotiations back then Jim would negotiate alone - or rather his team did in his name to be precise - and since he is the biggest asset of the show they threw in their whole leverage and made that huge deal which is the reason Jim leads that Forbes list of best earning TV stars every year now. Meanwhile Johnny and Kaley negotiated that they'd get whatever Jim would get and are probably laughing all the way to the bank to cash their checks ever since.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, April said:

t's really just meant as an advice of self-care for anyone who is starting to feel burnt out or something. I've seen this so often in fandoms when people continue to watch shows they started to hate and let's just say it's not the most healthy thing to do. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and walk away. (I sure have dropped my fair share of shows in the past as well...)

This can happen with Reruns of old TV Shows too. Years ago I use to like the Cosby Show and would watch it all the time on TBS and Nick at Nite  (I even had Episodes taped on VHS)  At one time it was my Favorite but then I got really  burnt out on it and as I got older I really hated it. This rpe-date Cosby Rape Scandal but I really did start to detest that Show and now I dislike it a lot. Some of it was just the Show in general and started to find it unfunny and annoying  but I also was getting burnt out on it. 

I blame a lot of it on the overexposure by TBS and Nick @ Nite and constant reruns. THere was a time when you couldn't turn the tV on without seeing that show. 

Gosh how I really hate that show now.  But yeah I seen lof of People get burned out on Old TV Shows that they use to like years ago. 

By the way I am not burned out on Big Bang Theory. There some shows I can never get burned out on no matter how many times I watch it 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the salary issue. Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, and Amy have been the A plot for most of the season. I see comment after comment on here about how much of the show revolves around Shamy—storylines, screen time, and promos. I don’t quite understand how anyone can see how central they have become to the show (whether you love it or hate it) and then say that one-half of that important couple doesn’t deserve to be paid accordingly. You’re certainly welcome to have your own opinion, though, whether I understand it or not :)  

Salary negotiations are a complicated beast and screentime or story importance aren't the only factors. A big reason for the pay gab between the original five and M/M seems to be that the ladies came later to the show and ended up in different contract re-negotiation circles. Judging by the reports it's to be expected that they'd now get roughly the same pay raise Kunal and Simon got after S7.

• Like 3

Yes, aiming for the same pay as Kunal and Simon after S7 is what I would expect too. It would take their number of years on the show into account and would certainly constitute a healthy salary bump. I'm sure they'll all be just fine, lol.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Raj bringing a surprise date to 4A. IMO Alex was popular with Lenny fans in season 6 because Penny stopped thinking of breaking up with Leonard after that. I could see a Raj/Alex relationship working.

Raj showing up at Lenny's one night for takeout with, surprise, Alex in tow would be so funny.  Leonard wouldn't know to be nice and welcome her or keep his mouth shut and Penny would put on her false smile.  I could see them standing up to greet Alex, then Penny waiting for Leonard to sit down so she can sit in his lap, sort of marking her territory, getting surprised looks by everyone except Alex.

Edited by SRAM
Spelling
  • Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic