[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

11 hours ago, sarah7 said:

I'm sorry, but I didn't read any posts of people coming at Amy for not wanting to go to CC (and you know how protective I am of Amy).

I read Serena's post not as an attack to Amy, but as a complaint to the writers for making them unecessarily confrontational over someting that instead could had been used a common ground so both could enjoy that trip to the convention, instead of the same old tired joke of the suffering partner finding the man's nerdy interests ridiculous. I know we just have a little snippet and there's still the chance for that to happen (altough, knowing the writers, I won't keep my hopes too high)

So, am I right @serena_1995 ?

Yes absolutely sarah . Thanks !

Edited by serena_1995

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, sarah7 said:

I'm sorry, but I didn't read any posts of people coming at Amy for not wanting to go to CC (and you know how protective I am of Amy).

I read Serena's post not as an attack to Amy, but as a complaint to the writers for making them unecessarily confrontational over someting that instead could had been used a common ground so both could enjoy that trip to the convention, instead of the same old tired joke of the suffering partner finding the man's nerdy interests ridiculous. I know we just have a little snippet and there's still the chance for that to happen (altough, knowing the writers, I won't keep my hopes too high)

So, am I right @serena_1995 ?

Which sounds great...in theory, except as we've said Amy's never been interested in this sort of things before and (in all honesty) knowing Amy doesn't care for things like CC but going anyway (and probably driving him when we know she doesn't have to) would only lead to complaints of "the writers changing who she is" "She's just being a doormat again" "why can't Amy seem to exist without Sheldon" "Why must she always cater to him?" (BTW I'm not talking about you or serena1995) by harsh critics who bring up their pitchforks yet again. 

Our posts (at least mine) were more of frustration that there are some days where it feels like Amy is never going to win. If she goes (for any reason) she's a doormat, if she doesn't she's a a horrible person for not trying to indulge in his interests (when they've already spent so much time together) 

This is why I would of loved if they went through with the flag convention idea, now that's something I can believe them both being excited about. Their show is their thing. That's why I loved they both seemed excited to go to Harry Potter WW together. It was cute and in character.  

Not wanting to go to CC makes sense to me. Rolling her eyes at it makes sense. I want them to be on common ground but with something that makes sense for them to be excited about (and there are plenty of things writers! *hint hint*) 

Side note: I'm so sick of "Amy wants it but can't get it" jokes, please writers don't fall into that temptation, you've been so good this season. 

24 minutes ago, Jedichic98 said:

Which sounds great...in theory, except as we've said Amy's never been interested in this sort of things before and (in all honesty) knowing Amy doesn't care for things like CC but going anyway (and probably driving him when we know she doesn't have to) would only lead to complaints of "the writers changing who she is" "She's just being a doormat again" "why can't Amy seem to exist without Sheldon" "Why must she always cater to him?" (BTW I'm not talking about you or serena1995) by harsh critics who bring up their pitchforks yet again. 

Our posts (at least mine) were more of frustration that there are some days where it feels like Amy is never going to win. If she goes (for any reason) she's a doormat, if she doesn't she's a a horrible person for not trying to indulge in his interests (when they've already spent so much time together) 

This is why I would of loved if they went through with the flag convention idea, now that's something I can believe them both being excited about. Their show is their thing. That's why I loved they both seemed excited to go to Harry Potter WW together. It was cute and in character.  

Not wanting to go to CC makes sense to me. Rolling her eyes at it makes sense. I want them to be on common ground but with something that makes sense for them to be excited about (and there are plenty of things writers! *hint hint*) 

Side note: I'm so sick of "Amy wants it but can't get it" jokes, please writers don't fall into that temptation, you've been so good this season. 

First bolded part: Yet, She and and the other girls had never been interested in comic books either, but the episode when they ended up heatedly discussing about them was fun and refreshing, I know that Amy suddenly excited about going to Comic Con would be OOC, but there could had been an inspired twist in the plot that could had explained her changing her mind, as had been said, CC is a big and varied event, for instance, she could had been excited at the chance of cosplaying, after all it has been established as kinda her thing, isn't it?

Second bolded part: Girl, you are preaching to the choir! count me among those who would absolutely love Amy to be treated as an individual character on a regular basis again, so much I've started to feel unhappy at the amount of screentime she shares with Sheldon, because most of the time she only acts as her straight man. I'm also aware that in the current state of affairs, if she doesn't share screen with Sheldon, she basically wouldn't appear, as the Lennys of this board can sadly confirm.

Edited by sarah7

27 minutes ago, Jedichic98 said:

Oh, I almost forgot that! It would have been such a good idea, much more than Amy accompanying Sheldon in his train adventure (even if I don't complain at all of the last episode, LOL!) because for sure it is something both love since day one and FwF is their baby. It would have made so much sense for them. If I remember correctly, it should be an annual RL convention so, given that the show has been renewed, there's hope the writers can consider the idea for next season, not holding my breath for it, of course. I would never buy if Amy suddenly became excited for comics or trains to the point of going to cons about them, but at a flag convention...I just can see her being the life of the party.

Edited by mirs1

4 minutes ago, sarah7 said:

First bolded part: Yet, She and and the other girls had never been interested in comic books either, but the episode when they ended up heatedly discussing about them was fun and refreshing, I know that Amy suddenly excited about going to Comic Con would be OOC, but there could had been an inspired twist in the plot that could had explained her changing her mind, as had been said, CC is a big and varied event, for instance, she could had been excited at the chance of cosplaying, after all it has been established as kinda her thing, isn't it?

Second bolded part: Girl, you are preaching to the choir! count me among those who would absolutely love Amy to be treated as an individual character on a regular basis again, so much I've started to feel unhappy at the amount of screentime she shares with Sheldon, because most of the time she only acts as her straight man. I'm also aware that in the current state of affairs, if she doesn't share screen with Sheldon, she basically wouldn't appear, as the Lennys of this board can sadly confirm.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with her screen time with Sheldon (per se) but you bet I would be over the moon if she had some more individual moments too. IMO, her not wanting to go to CC was more her asserting herself as an individual character with different interests, rather than just being his straight man, (though I can now understand why you would want her to go with him) just not what I would do as a writer I guess. 

Though as I've stated before, the one thing I am unhappy about is how some fans seem to think the worst of her, no matter what she does. I'm sure on that we can agree. 

The writers have two more seasons (plus the rest of this one) to work with. They've promised us insight into Amy's family without delivering for too long. They now have the space to develop her further. You have no further excuses writers! She's part of the main two sets now, make it happen. Maybe have the next episode show how she spends time alone (make it as quirky and funny as you can imagine) while Sheldon's away at CC. 

Hell yes to some storylines that are more from her perspective, or have some for example where Sheldon is clearly supporting her through some issue but the focus is on her.

I am not going to lie, she is my favourite character on the show so I love her or what we know already. But they could so explore more of her character, she is just as quirky or 'weird' as any of the others. She has changed a lot since Season 4 but she still has a ton of quirks or eccentricities that could be really delved into should the writers wish to do so.

Her family could so be the opportunity to explore her character more. I hope in those two seasons left they don't waste that opportunity.

Edited by Jonny

8 minutes ago, sarah7 said:

Totally agree.

TBH, sometimes, I get the feeling that OOC is TBBT's "new normal" in this day and age. The writers rewrites character's history to suit the new plots, or suddenly, there are some 180-degree-turns. So, in our eyes, that's OOC. Some plots were just one-off jokes, so the writers didn't care about whether the joke hurt the characters or not, because they think most of the casual viewers won't remember them. 

So, IMHO, IF(that's a BIG if) the writers really want to let Amy go to CC with Sheldon, they certainly can come up with lots of "excuses", even though the "excuses" are OOC to Amy, but, like I said, they don't care, not to mention it's Amy, LOL. 

All above are just my opinion.

How about Amy starts up a knitting circle ( i could so see Amy being in one)in her area of Pasadena? The other girls ridicule her idea but go along to support her starting it up, but they get into it. Bernie makes something for Halley, Penny makes something for Leonard. Obviously involve some comedy.

Rough example, but there are definitely some storylines that could be fleshed out with comedy and based on some of her quirky hobbies or interests.

I can't speak for others, but I think Amy is just the last of a line of female characters who is there to shake her head at them boys and their nerdy ways and I just... ugh. They don't even vary the joke, like, not even a little bit. It's not like she'll say "oh, yes, you go to comic con and I do something I find fun" if she doesn't go, like an actual normal person would. It'll be served with a lot of those fresh new jokes straight from S01 about how Sheldon sure is a manchild for liking guys in tighs! And yeah, it's a sitcom and a big chunk of TBBT's humour is all about people being nasty to each other in snide remarks, let's be honest. But why couldn't it be like: "While my boyfriend will do something weird like dressing up as the Flash, I will engage in adult behaviour and map out the route of the pilgrims of the Canterbury Tales on Google Earth." Cue Penny and Bernadette straightmanning or something. But I'm sorry, that would imply personality and if we do that, then we might actually have to pay attention if the lines that are written are for Amy, Bernadette or Penny.

One of these old trite writing chlichés is that a character should be defined by what they are, not by what they aren't. Amy, to me, is a lot of nagging about Sheldon's interests and terrible behaviour and general... being. I know some things she likes and is, but that's pretty much all information from like five seasons ago. I have the same problem with Penny, to an extent (and so do the writers 'cause they sure don't seem to know how to resolve her General Unhappiness plotline).

From TBBT You Tube Channel...

You Tube note...In this hilarious outtake from The Big Bang Theory episode entitled "The Allowance Evaporation," Kunal Nayyar tries to hold his breath longer than a Euler's Disk, a spinning scientific toy. Will he make it? 

I wonder what the odds are now that we may have 2 more seasons we may have major shake up in the living arrangements again. Maybe shamy get in a big fight and amy moves back to her old apartment and sheldon wants to move in with lenny again

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I wonder what the odds are now that we may have 2 more seasons we may have major shake up in the living arrangements again. Maybe shamy get in a big fight and amy moves back to her old apartment and sheldon wants to move in with lenny again

Shhhh don't give them any ideas!

No I don't see the LA going back to what it was, it's the freshest thing they have done in a long time and it would be like sticking up two fingers to the audience if they did that. I know I would go apoplectic if they did and I suspect many others would as well, from a wide range of sections of the fanbase.

But will there be some major drama for a character or two between now and the end of the series? I am no betting man but I think the odds are low, life isn't rosy and they have never shied away from introducing drama in the past to shake it up.

Edited by Jonny
low odds= more likely not high odds. I'm tired.

4 hours ago, A.D.A. said:

I can't speak for others, but I think Amy is just the last of a line of female characters who is there to shake her head at them boys and their nerdy ways and I just... ugh. They don't even vary the joke, like, not even a little bit. It's not like she'll say "oh, yes, you go to comic con and I do something I find fun" if she doesn't go, like an actual normal person would. It'll be served with a lot of those fresh new jokes straight from S01 about how Sheldon sure is a manchild for liking guys in tighs! And yeah, it's a sitcom and a big chunk of TBBT's humour is all about people being nasty to each other in snide remarks, let's be honest. But why couldn't it be like: "While my boyfriend will do something weird like dressing up as the Flash, I will engage in adult behaviour and map out the route of the pilgrims of the Canterbury Tales on Google Earth." Cue Penny and Bernadette straightmanning or something. But I'm sorry, that would imply personality and if we do that, then we might actually have to pay attention if the lines that are written are for Amy, Bernadette or Penny.

One of these old trite writing chlichés is that a character should be defined by what they are, not by what they aren't. Amy, to me, is a lot of nagging about Sheldon's interests and terrible behaviour and general... being. I know some things she likes and is, but that's pretty much all information from like five seasons ago. I have the same problem with Penny, to an extent (and so do the writers 'cause they sure don't seem to know how to resolve her General Unhappiness plotline).

We need a A storyline just for Amy to give her some real drama or find out more about her. Nothing wrong with the Shamy stories, just let Amy shine!

I am happy to find some people here who are not completely satisfied with the direction of the show or the possibility of renewal. I've lurked here for a long time because of the taping reports and decided to join because of the IMDB boards going down and I was afraid I'd be the only one who felt that way. But I think it's been less and less funny since season six.

I don't see them giving Amy any majors stories. Imo her function is Sheldons other half. She exists to be Sheldons partner. She's technically still a supporting character. So I don't see them revealing more about her family, or backstory. As long as she's the Amy in Shamy. I've always thought their was a severe imbalance in how they write their relationship. It's 99% all on Sheldons terms and point of view. Amy is a super interesting character. But that's just the way it is. 

Edited by 3ku11

5 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Oh, man. NOT LA again. 

But since I believe the reason we got the LA change was because the writers didn't know whether season 10 was the last season or not, so, now, with the two years renewal......I see your point. 

Should of beggining of s9. Instead of Penny feels sorry for Sheldon. Then blame her husband for it a year later. Amy should of moved in Leonard's room. Lenny 4B. Made more sense. End of Season 6 tbh. So essentially tuning out the audience. As it is It's kinda worked. Lenny work well together in 4A. So in regards to Shamy. I could see them having a big argument over the next two seasons more then Lenny to be quite honest. And I wouldent be surprised if the LA are reset In the future. 

I don't know where this...

6 hours ago, legacy99 said:

or this are coming from...

34 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Should of beggining of s9. Instead of Penny feels sorry for Sheldon. Then blame her husband for it a year later. Amy should of moved in Leonard's room. Lenny 4B. Made more sense. End of Season 6 tbh. So essentially tuning out the audience. As it is It's kinda worked. Lenny work well together in 4A. So in regards to Shamy. I could see them having a big argument over the next two seasons more then Lenny to be quite honest. And I wouldent be surprised if the LA are reset In the future. 

I seriously doubt that they are going to break up S/A again and backtrack that hard.  I believe that Season 12 will be the last and I think, if anything, they are going to want to move all of the characters story's forward.

Edited by vonmar

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I am happy to find some people here who are not completely satisfied with the direction of the show or the possibility of renewal. I've lurked here for a long time because of the taping reports and decided to join because of the IMDB boards going down and I was afraid I'd be the only one who felt that way. But I think it's been less and less funny since season six.

Welcome to the Forums, or as JE7 recently called it, The Thunderdome! 

And no, you are not alone. There are a few of us here that share your view. 

37 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I don't know where this...

or this are coming from...

I seriously doubt that they are going to break up S/A again and backtrack that hard.  I believe that Season 12 will be the last and I think, if anything, they are going to want to move all of the characters story's forward.

Lenny and Raj character stories has been stagnant for several seasons and I highly doubt that will all of a sudden change in season 11 and 12.

The characters that will move forward is of course Shamy, just look at this season.The writers doesn't seems interesting in moving Lenny and Raj forward at all. 

15 hours ago, luminous said:

The Euler disc in the writer's room

Nice.

They could have fun in my departments demo room. It is stuffed with physics demonstrations and "toys".

The sequence in the episode reminds me of taking my own kids to Science World when they were young. They had fun but it did not seem to inspire a scientific curiosity.

Edited by djsurrey

7 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I spent seasons seven and eight accepting that all the scientists were in the age group for courting and getting married, while I waited for the ree- lay-shun-ship stuff to be over so that we could get back to laughing at their behaviour with science. Then I noticed that TBBT was listed as a 'romantic comedy' on the site where I view the episodes and suddenly saw the series from a different angle. Now I love the romances of the scientists, especially Shamy, and I look for how Lenny and Howardette are doing, not to mention wondering what the beep is happening with Raj. I like that the science melds into their home lives and that they occasionally have the fun with it they did when they were ten years younger.

2 hours ago, Lagernisse said:

Lenny and Raj character stories has been stagnant for several seasons and I highly doubt that will all of a sudden change in season 11 and 12.

The characters that will move forward is of course Shamy, just look at this season.The writers doesn't seems interesting in moving Lenny and Raj forward at all. 

They had Penny saying last week that her marriage wasn't going anywhere so they may have something in mind. Where do marriages go anyway ? It's where dating, courtship and engagement lead. Leonard was always looking for that. The goal is 'happy ever after' which is not always what a marriage is, but it has usually meant moving into the first home, becoming sexually active ( Penny ? Huh, as Sheldon once said ) getting used to sharing a living space with someone, having most meals together, using the same toilet roll and toothpaste, doing things to the home, allocating chores, and generally settling into that way of life. There may be new activities to take on as a couple outside the home, especially if they're in a new area.  That can all be fun. There's a year gone. (Some of those things may have happened before the marriage which naturally will shorten the time but remove some of the novelty. ) Then that's it for sixty or seventy years. It can still be happy.  If one expects a marriage to move at the speed of what led up to it, one is in for surprises, bewilderment or disappointment. Children may or may not arrive and if they do then the couple are involved in what happens in their lives and make changes which mean less time for themselves. What other movement is there ? Getting a better place to live if there's more money as careers expand, perhaps, and taking on more expensive activities, being able to go away more often after retirement if it's affordable. This sort of thing is slow-moving. I don't know what Penny expects : she's the one who said 'Some nights we'll sleep over here,' and somehow morphed that into living with Sheldon. The only one who's even hinted Lenny might want to move into a bigger place is Sheldon when he was bewailing the changes it would mean in his own life. 4A is still something between a thoroughfare and a social club. Dr Gallo or some sort of counselling might help her to get  a better gestalt on her situation and enjoy her life more.

Rajesh, OTOH, can perhaps be taken somewhere. He has to learn to be an adult, just as Sheldon is doing, albeit from a different place. Sheldon acknowledged what he had to learn and set about learning it. Raj saw himself as a victim with 'diagnosable psychological problems' and is only just beginning to realise that he needs to take control of his life. His journey, I hope, is going to be fun to observe. Sheldon has someone to pat him on the back and encourage him. Who'll do that for Raj ? That remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Rajesh, OTOH, can perhaps be taken somewhere. He has to learn to be an adult, just as Sheldon is doing, albeit from a different place. Sheldon acknowledged what he had to learn and set about learning it. Raj saw himself as a victim with 'diagnosable psychological problems' and is only just beginning to realise that he needs to take control of his life. His journey, I hope, is going to be fun to observe. Sheldon has someone to pat him on the back and encourage him. Who'll do that for Raj ? That remains to be seen.

True, not sure who in the group could help him change should he wish to actually want to do so. Looking at it from more a character standpoint instead of a writing one:

Howard has kind of been where Raj has on the loneliness front but I think they are way too close, I'm not sue he would respect Howard or take him seriously if he was to offer some advice.

Bernadette? Could start the will you play my clarinet nonsense again if they have a heart to heat and Raj's no boundaries at times.

Penny? Similar possible result to the Bernie one, but she is perhaps more life smart than some of the others.

Amy? She could perhaps have some advice from a scientific standpoint maybe citing studies but whilst Raj does respect her individually as a friend he often ridicules her relationship with Sheldon and her choices so would he really take her seriously?

Sheldon? Similar to Amy in that he mocks the relationship Sheldon has so would he take him seriously? Sheldon has shown a lot of change and growth as a person but he is still very much learning so I am not sure he would be the best person to go to.

Leonard? Depends which Leonard he gets, the one that can be sensible at times or the grinning one. He has his moments when he does offer some advice but others times he offers nothing useful.

All imo, but I think maybe Raj needs to maybe see a Dr Gallo or someone outside the group for help. However maybe from a writing perspective, something just clicks for him in that he wakes up one day and realizes he wants to make some changes and just does it.

If the recent storylines are an indication they are thinking of giving him a a bit of a life overhaul then it will be interesting to see what they have in store for his character. 

Edited by Jonny