[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

1 hour ago, Enrico Fermi said:

I think it's because Penny was a more vibrant personality back then whereas having her beaten down by life and doing the responsible thing isn't bringing anything fun, or funny, to the table.  Nowadays all it seems she does is fight with Leonard and make quips about Shamy.

But that has nothing to do with her job, they could just as easily show her on sales call's with whacky doctors like they showed her at the cheesecake factory.

And we saw her many times back then hurt depressed or crying because of her audition failures. It's not the job it's the writing simply Penny is as penny is written her job is irrelevant.

Old penny the 22 year old half dressed actress is in her thirties now she is grown up and people need to learn to deal with it, it's not the cause of her unfunniness that's the writers fault

Edited by JE7
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, JE7 said:

But that has nothing to do with her job, they could just as easily show her on sales call's with whacky doctors like they showed her at the cheesecake factory.

And we saw her many times back then hurt depressed or crying because of her audition failures. It's not the job it's the writing simply!Y penny is as penny is written her job is irrelevant.

Old penny the 22 year old half dressed actress is in her thirties now she is grown up and people need to learn to deal with it, it's not the cause of her unfunniness that's the writers fault

.....especially the bold portion...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

.....especially the bold portion...

Not to say that I don't still like half dressed penny, I am a guy after all and and while she may not be as "hot" as she used to be she is infinitely sexier :icon_redface:

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SRAM said:

I like this idea too, her company puts out an email to offer employees a chance to be in their commercial.  Penny doesn't want to do it but LEONARD (not Sheldon) talks her into applying, which she does, gets in the commercial and becomes the main character for a very successful commercial.  She gets loaned to the advertising branch, it becomes permanent and she ends up in charge of producing all the company's commercials.  It puts her back doing something with TV and she doesn't have to flirt with doctors anymore, win-win, plus they could drag that plot over a whole season or more.

That sounds very nice, but be careful what you wish for. Judging from how the writers and showrunners treat Penny, IMO it would start as you describe, but the company would become aware of Serial Apist and want to use Penny in something like the controversial American Apparel ad campaign of a few years ago. Humiliating Penny is so funny.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

The Leonard/Priya relationship tore the group apart.  Leonard actually asked Penny to move away. That's canon also.  

But Penny didn't move away, and in fact while Leonard was with Priya him and Penny didn't even stop being friends. In fact, Leonard loved Penny so much that he even lied to Priya about not seeing Penny anymore, like for example when they all went to get back the things that Todd Zernecki had stolen from Sheldon. In that episode it was Leonard, Sheldon, Howard , Raj and Penny all together. I don't believe it can get more all inclusive than that. That is cannon as well.

3 hours ago, JE7 said:

Not to say that I don't still like half dressed penny, I am a guy after all and and while she may not be as "hot" as she used to be she is infinitely sexier :icon_redface:

That was sort of what I was going to say. I wouldn't mind seeing half dressed in her thirties Penny. Granted, I used to love specially when she wore those tiny shorts and the boots, but some other sexy looks would be welcome as well. Penny is still beautiful.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

We've seen Penny interacting with three different doctors. This sort of could bring in more comedic situations if they wanted it to. She's admitted to using certain techniques which sound as though they were picked up at acting lessons. I like the idea of her being in pharmaceutical sales because it brings some of her recently-acquired knowledge into an overlap with the rest of the group, although she'd not call herself a scientist.

I'd like to see the shrink [from Malcolm in the Middle] come back.

10 hours ago, vonmar said:

Not true really. When Leonard and Priya were together it was a mess. Everything was fractured.

I hadn't thought of it like that.  True.

They should have stuck with Doctor Stephanie longer.

AND given Penny a good relationship, as well.  So, when they got back together, it would seem less like a marriage of convenience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JE7 said:

And we saw her many times back then hurt depressed or crying because of her audition failures. It's not the job it's the writing simply Penny is as penny is written her job is irrelevant.

That's it though.  Now that Penny has a humdrum "grown-up" job, the show deems it fit to completely ignore her career aspirations.  Before, Penny being a failed actress/waitress was a core part of her identity.  Now she's merely one half of the Lenny greek chorus.  I don't see her relying less on Leonard so much as being even more inextricably linked to him than she ever was before.  It's like she's not even Penny anymore because they stripped her of what made her stand out from the others, that being her lack of success and her youthful personality.  Sheldon seems to be the only one allowed to stand out from the others nowadays, where in the past Penny and Howard were both just as big scene stealers.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Vittoria Jacoel said:

Happy taping day to you!emoji4.pngemoji1303.png

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

There's an American national holiday today so unfortunately the taping is tomorrow. Why not be happy from today though? :icon_cheesygrin:

@Maddie oops it was yesterday? My bad...

Edited by Judith
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Enrico Fermi said:

That's it though.  Now that Penny has a humdrum "grown-up" job, the show deems it fit to completely ignore her career aspirations.  Before, Penny being a failed actress/waitress was a core part of her identity.  Now she's merely one half of the Lenny greek chorus.  I don't see her relying less on Leonard so much as being even more inextricably linked to him than she ever was before.  It's like she's not even Penny anymore because they stripped her of what made her stand out from the others, that being her lack of success and her youthful personality.  Sheldon seems to be the only one allowed to stand out from the others nowadays, where in the past Penny and Howard were both just as big scene stealers.

...well, she is linked to him as never before, because they are married.  There is a wealth of material for the writers to mine in that "newlywed" relationship on both parts, for Leonard and for Penny.  The episode where Beverly Hofstadter visited toward the end of Season 9 was a great episode for Penny as she sought to gain her mother-in-law's acceptance.  My favorite episode from Season 9.  The "hum-drum grown-up" job she has now could also be exploited for comedy.  She could riff off about the side effects of a drug her company wanted her to sell:  "Hey Sheldon! A new product my company has says it grows hair in weird places.  Why don't you try this just to see what happens?"  A little imagination on the writers part, for both Penny and Leonard could result in many quite hilarious moments....

To me Howard and Bernadette still deliver extremely funny scenes and lines....That could increase as well (and it has to some extent) with Hallie.... 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

The "hum-drum grown-up" job she has now could also be exploited for comedy.  She could riff off about the side effects of a drug her company wanted her to sell:  "Hey Sheldon! A new product my company has says it grows hair in weird places.  Why don't you try this just to see what happens?"  A little imagination on the writers part, for both Penny and Leonard could result in many quite hilarious moments....

To me Howard and Bernadette still deliver extremely funny scenes and lines....That could increase as well (and it has to some extent) with Hallie.... 

I agree that they could do funny things with the current setup.  The problem is that they mostly haven't and not for lack of opportunity.

I wouldn't want Penny to go back to acting if they never did anything with it.  I just believe that doing something like that would provide more motivation for the writers to be creative with her.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Enrico Fermi said:

I agree that they could do funny things with the current setup.  The problem is that they mostly haven't and not for lack of opportunity.

I wouldn't want Penny to go back to acting if they never did anything with it.  I just believe that doing something like that would provide more motivation for the writers to be creative with her.

(also, love your forum name....I graduated from Enrico Fermi High School [go Falcons!]!!!!)

• Like 4

Saw this on some other fan sight somewhere and wondered what everyone else thought.....

"I've noticed that ever since Amy moved in with Sheldon in 4b, the line distribution has changed a bit between Amy and Penny. Now Amy has the punchline more frequently and it feels like she's taking Penny's place as the protagonist, sort of.
Of course Amy is a supporting character and last on the credits (I think?) and it will never be official, but that exchange with Penny in 4B (Penny: wanna come at comic con?/Amy: I already live where the nerds go) is an example of how Amy has unofficially been upgraded."

Thoughts.....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Saw this on some other fan sight somewhere and wondered what everyone else thought.....

"I've noticed that ever since Amy moved in with Sheldon in 4b, the line distribution has changed a bit between Amy and Penny. Now Amy has the punchline more frequently and it feels like she's taking Penny's place as the protagonist, sort of.
Of course Amy is a supporting character and last on the credits (I think?) and it will never be official, but that exchange with Penny in 4B (Penny: wanna come at comic con?/Amy: I already live where the nerds go) is an example of how Amy has unofficially been upgraded."

Thoughts.....

Many Lenny's have been saying Sheldon has been taking over the show, while Lenny has been downgraded.   Over the last several years, she is on screen more than Penny.  Is it really any surprise that Amy, who is Sheldon's partner,  gets a higher percentage of lines compared to Penny?  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

Thoughts.....

kiddingme.gif.98b44b88ffebeb4686e2fd274bc36367.gif

Just a recent thought.  :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

I don't think so. It's done for laughs. It's Amy living in a dream world as usual were she thinks she is popular than penny. What nerds she talking about. Bert? The group still hang out in 4A.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

She has just moved to 4b. She is obviously going to get more lines for a while.  In the nerd world she is going to be popular. Outside the nerd world Penny is always going to be the more popular "hot girl" while Amy is going to be the unnoticed  "ugly duckling".

• Like 6

On 15/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, JohnPhD said:

Incidentally, re Amy's inappropriate conversational habits,  some of her TMI descriptions of her internal structure to P & B suggest that she would be unwise to attempt childbirth. This is one of a number of things that Penny knows about Amy that Sheldon doesn't know but needs to. It seems to me Penny ought to talk them over with Leonard to decide if they should tell Sheldon; but on the other hand, if the writers never give it a thought, what's the point of my thinking about it?

Putting aside the fact that this will never happen in this show, it would be not only abso-fucking-lutely out of line for Leonard and Penny to do such a thing, it would also be straight up vile. Lenny have NO business talking to Sheldon about such a private and sensitive subject, which doesn't concern them and also involves another person (AMY) and is in big part about that person's body and health.

• Like 9

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic