[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

I guess what I am trying to say is there are times when the writers want to highlight the friendship factor more than anything. 

They could highlight the friendship factor by having the characters insult each other less. That'd be easier than shoehorning people into couple-moments.:icon_wink:

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

They could highlight the friendship factor by having the characters insult each other less. That'd be easier than shoehorning people into couple-moments.:icon_wink:

I don't think it will happen, when I read the comments on social media I get the impression those insults go down well with the vast majority of the audience. But yes I would definitely welcome less insults from everyone.

Too many barbs for me this season I think a lot of the snark game writing has been a bit off, I hope they tone it down a bit next season. Of course not with Penny and Amy their snark game has been great, very playful nothing nasty. Maybe get whoever is putting the most input in those lines to work on some of the others.

Edited by Jonny

4 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

This is where you lose me and I'm sure, a lot of other people too. You've decided that your criteria for what makes a season good for a couple is what everybody is going to go by. You're fixated on the amount of screen time where I care way, way, way more about context.

Thank you, what a great post. :) 

7 hours ago, Carlos said:

Well nothing romantic but he had sex with her in Leonard's bed. Regardless of the circumstances even if I were Leonard and had forgiven Raj ( I personally wouldn't have in the same situation) I most definitely wouldn't want him hanging around my wife so close to the "scene of the crime" , so to speak.

Yes, but here's the thing: You're not Leonard and Leonard is not you. You make it sound like Raj is one of Penny's ex-boyfriends and she lets him stay over without Leonard's permission. In reality they're all friends and they offered him a place to stay and that's all there is to it. There's nothing weird about it. The characters have moved on a very long time ago.

Bernie and Howie? They had a baby. Howard has grown a lot the past few years.. Amy has grown as well. I think they all have in their own ways...

I don't think having a baby that we dont see on screen is growth or promoting baby nabbies. Amy hasnt grown, she just manages Sheldon's back and foreward growth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

You should know that since Shamy fans are still pleased as punch when Sheldon and Amy have only had sex twice.

The writers always seem to give Shamy great stories and progress at the beginning of the season and forget about them in the middle and end, minus an episode or so. For the past 4 years, I have been irritated every time the end of a season comes around because it's almost like the writers make up for only thinking about Shamy by ignoring them later on. Those are just my feelings, not facts. I'm sure if you counted up the screen time, you can prove me wrong. And no, that doesn't ring true this year. I'm just saying that I've often felt envious that Lenny often get the finale plots while Shamy get dropped. And it is true that the only finale's about Shamy were S3 (for a minute at the end) and S8 (a break up). So I will be celebrating the idea that a finale will finally be centered about Shamy... even if Amy is far away and we're suppose to think Sheldon is going to cheat on her.

Line 1- Since I have been told that Shamy's relationship is different and is on more of an intellectional level having sex for the third time much be a disappointment for many.

Paragraph1- Lets analyze the finale's  since Amy has come on the show

Season 3- Amy meets Sheldon. Non Lenny

Seadon 4- Raj/Penny hook up. To me it was non Lenny. Some will disagree 

Season 5- Howdette wedding

Season 6-Leonard/Sheldon- Many are going to say it was a Lenny storyline. I disagree and if anything it was more a Sheldon one.Minimal Lenny conversation about Leonard going to North Sea. More conversation about how is Sheldon dealing with Leonard leaving. And A dash of Raj at the end.

Season 7-Sheldon leaving. And a touch of a Shamy storyline since Sheldon took off before saying goodbye to Amy.

Season 8-Both Shamy and Lenny. though Lenny fans I'm sure would have gladly not had a storyline in this one. And the Lenny storyline leads to ...............see next line

Season 9- Don't think the Lenny storyline here would have happened if not for the first wedding. It appears IMO the writers knew they blew the first one and came up with this.

So it's hard to me to think the Lenny storylines were any more than the Shamy storylines. Obviously seasons 1 and 2 were but that was pre Shamy.

While finales are important in regards to next season are they real more important than the other 23? I understand to TPTB  they are. Would you rather have just a big storyline at the end and nothing at the beginning or middle?

PS: oh, I forgot to ask, is there a thread for people who enjoy Shamy, Lenny, Howardette and Raj to hang out?

Haha! This has just made me laugh! This is seriously a thought I have whenever I visit this thread! I haven't found a place yet... perhaps we should start one...

7 hours ago, Radar said:

Really curious and therefore honest question: Do Lennys keep track of the Lenny kisses? We know Shamys do (18 including the kiss on the cheek). I recently wondered how many Lenny kisses we've had so far. Does anyone know?

I know they had a poll once on their best kissing scenes:

1. Tequila - Maternal Capacitance

2. Gas Voices -  Launch Acceleration

3. First Kiss  - Middle Earth Paradigm

4. Return Kiss - Electric Can Opener Fluctuation

5. Science Kiss - Holographic Excitation,  Good-Bye Kiss - Bon Voyage Reaction

There were many more but I think these were voted the best.

7 hours ago, Radar said:

Really curious and therefore honest question: Do Lennys keep track of the Lenny kisses? We know Shamys do (18 including the kiss on the cheek). I recently wondered how many Lenny kisses we've had so far. Does anyone know?

Oh wow, that is a good question. I've honestly never counted but it must be a lot.

Howardette would also be an interesting one, maybe I just missed it but they don't seem to actually kiss that often, they seem more like the hugging type lol? Feels like a very rare occurrence.

9 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

For the most part, Shamy fans have had to deal with Penny doing things for Sheldon that should've been Amy's job a lot sooner than S10. They have even made several episodes about Amy being jealous of their relationship. I hated that she got to give him a hug and kiss before he left for the Summer in S7. I hated that she got to tuck him in when he was delirious in the anxiety episode. I hated that she ran to the bathroom to calm him down for the 200th episode. I hated later that episode when she gave him a hug because Amy got zilch. There are a million examples of times when Sheldon should've run to Amy or Amy should've run to Sheldon but the writers were dead set on emphasizing that Lenny were the Sheldon experts, so we lost out. 

You might as well build an electric fence around Sheldon or lock him in a dungeon if you want him to interact with Amy and only Amy. I for one, enjoy his interactions with Penny, Raj and Howard too- when they are written as friends/mildly antagonistic but fun relationships . Shelnard i have enjoyed less TBH.  I think Shamy have had enough scenes together and good writing , and i don't think it compares to how Lenny have been handled by the writers including Sheldon interrupting their moments.

BTW is there anyone who doesn't particularly care about couples, but just watches for funny scenes and the comedy ? just curious

Edited by serena_1995

8 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

All together they have kissed over 60 times as of the end of S9. Put this up b4 but got deleted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's because it was included in a post with comments that got the post hidden.   I try to edit, but when faced with 5-6 reports and approval of several other posts, I don't have the time and just hide them. Sometimes, I hate getting up in the mornings.  :icon_wink:

15 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

.........../

BTW is there anyone who doesn't particularly care about couples, but just watches for funny scenes and the comedy ? just curious

Maybe I'm one of them (though I'm showing a tendency to be too Lennish :shy:).

I like to interrupt the usually pairings with a funny excerpt.

shen_075.gif.6d87c5e1938716418e88a88a83083bbc.gif

Happy weekend to all of you.  :icon_cheesygrin:

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Howardette would also be an interesting one, maybe I just missed it but they don't seem to actually kiss that often, they seem more like the hugging type lol? Feels like a very rare occurrence.

You are right. One time when watching a scene of Howardete kissing, my mom, who is an irregular viewer and watched many episodes sparsly, not by order, said something like  "ooh they never kiss"/"I've never seen them kissing". I hadn't really noticed until then. I guess it goes unnoticed because few people ship them (I personally like them, especially this year, but don't count myself much of a shipper). I think the couples on TBBT are generally not very affectionate. It is a writing/direction choice that bears costs of sometimes making the couples seem less convincing. I think this is sometimes even mistaken for lack of chemistry. For example, I've seen comments that J&K have no chemistry. Of course everybody is entitled to their impressions but I think it has to do with the ways in which they are directed to interact physically as Lenny. Sometimes they are more physically affectionate as themselves, as friends, than on the show. IMO it is rare to see a TBBT couple being very affectionate. 

Edited by bfm
Switched a word

21 minutes ago, Radar said:

Well, Howard is a romantic guy after all. :wink:

At least he believes he is. :) 

From The Fuzzy Boots Corollary:-

Howard: Kissing, what kind of kissing? Cheeks? Lips? Chaste? French?

Leonard: What is wrong with you?

Howard: I’m a romantic.

10 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

For the most part, Shamy fans have had to deal with Penny doing things for Sheldon that should've been Amy's job a lot sooner than S10. They have even made several episodes about Amy being jealous of their relationship. I hated that she got to give him a hug and kiss before he left for the Summer in S7. I hated that she got to tuck him in when he was delirious in the anxiety episode. I hated that she ran to the bathroom to calm him down for the 200th episode. I hated later that episode when she gave him a hug because Amy got zilch. There are a million examples of times when Sheldon should've run to Amy or Amy should've run to Sheldon but the writers were dead set on emphasizing that Lenny were the Sheldon experts, so we lost out.

I've never thought that Penny has intervened in the Shamy relationship more than what is appropriate.

***Also - WTF??? - the writers have NOT made "several episodes" about Amy being jealous of Shenny. It was one episode in s7 and that was because Sheldon was still fighting his feelings for her. In 9.21 Amy she said that she gets annoyed - not the same as being jealous - with certain behaviours that were either about babying Sheldon or that didn't come from Sheldon. The writers had her use the word annoyed instead of jealous this time to show that the jealousy is gone - it wouldn't make sense for it to still be there. Leonard also got annoyed when Amy informed him of these things but in the end the episode was all about petty arguments about harmless stuff that ultimately isn't a big deal.

Why can't Penny say goodbye to Sheldon? What she did wasn't romantic in any way.

Leonard also got to tuck Sheldon in in the Anxiety episode.

She ran to the bathroom because Amy and Leonard were behaving like idiots. Also Sheldon and Penny are allowed to hug. Yes, Amy didn't get any physical affection in that episode, but is it really that bad?

As a shipper I don't feel like I've lost out on anything because of Lenny neither have I ever thought that the writers are trying to imply that Lenny are the experts while Amy isn't. Any time Leonard and/or Penny have been involved in the Shamy relationship it's made sense to me.

***I didn't mean to come too strong on you, shamyyellow, it's just my frustration after I've read this one too many times, or worse, the suggestion that Amy would still be jealous of Penny in s10.

Edited by Judith

13 hours ago, Tensor said:

RJ, this isn't about you, just my explanation for what you are asking.  

In my case, I get tired of hearing, "oh, that's not so bad", or "I don't understand why that upsets you".  Most cases, the only way you can get it across is to make it about the couple they love.   Someone doesn't see why Sheldon interrupting a Leonard and Penny upsets some people?  Let's make it Leonard and Penny interrupting a tender Shamy moment.  How well does that go over?  Do you see why we don't like it?  The problem is most of those have to be fictitious examples, as their aren't very many real show examples.  

I appreciate the answer, @Tensor.

Can you point me to a few examples of that to help me better understand your position? I seriously can't think of Shamy posters who've done this, but maybe they were deleted or I've simply missed it. I do know that I’ve seen a flood of supportive comments from Shamy fans who agree that the writing for Lenny has been bad and who are hopeful that things will someday improve, and that’s why the ill-wishes for those fans has been so baffling to me. The only posts I can think of that have claimed Lenny are perfectly fine have come from a couple of posters who are 100% Lenny fans. One (fileX or something) doesn’t seem to be around anymore.

If a few Shamy fans have, in fact, been unsympathetic, it still leaves me wondering: Is it worth it to antagonize the large number of friendly, supportive Shamy posters just to try to prove a point to whomever it is that you feel ‘doesn’t get it’? (You = the 4 or so people who were posting in this manner).

I was intending to let this subject drop after my last post, and I’d love to get off it now so that we can all enjoy speculating about the finale instead. My only intent was to let the folks who were doing this know how their posts were coming across so that they could decide whether that’s really the best way to communicate their discontent.

4 hours ago, Cloud Strife said:

Yes, but here's the thing: You're not Leonard and Leonard is not you. You make it sound like Raj is one of Penny's ex-boyfriends and she lets him stay over without Leonard's permission. In reality they're all friends and they offered him a place to stay and that's all there is to it. There's nothing weird about it. The characters have moved on a very long time ago.

You are correct, of course , but I can still have my opinions on what I like and don't like, can I not? Actually, if you really think about it that is all we can do in a forum, express our opinions on what we see (or don't see) in the show and discuss amongst each other why we think each opinion has (or hasn't) any merit. In reality, nothing you or I or anybody here says will make a lick of difference. Thank you very much for pointing out the obvious and irrelevant.