The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

24 minutes ago, JE7 said:

I think we can point to a few major issues in the show which can't necessarily be blamed solely on a particular writer but where blame must be shared such as:

Character/plot inconsistencies

Sheldon first takes a prophylactic series of antibiotics because someone near him is sick but later must be made to take his medicine.

Sheldon tries to sell the laptop Howard touched with his junk but later has EVERYTHING he ever owned including a snot soaked teddy bear in a storage locker.

Howard works on high level government projects but is terrified of the air force being interested in the guidance system.

Ugh Raj on a near weekly basis, I mean come one the guys has so many different sides to his personality he may as well change his name to Eve

And the list goes on for all the characters, differing writing styles or visions for the show would be acceptable IF they made an effort to make things blend together into an at least semi-coherent whole. Instead we get a mish mash where we never know what's coming nor can we be sure we really understand what has allready happened

*Ugh Raj is a registered trade mark of Wowbagger industries - all rights reserved

This was just infuriating for me and was complete BS!!  Such lazy ass writing for a stupid joke that made no sense considering who we're talking about!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

This was just infuriating for me and was complete BS!!  Such lazy ass writing for a stupid joke that made no sense considering who we're talking about!

Agree. And I don't even think it was a joke. "Who's the only one who can make him take his medicine when he's sick". I mean what's so funny???

• Like 5

Feeling like I'm in a false sense of security, best describes my feelings of the show currently. They seem to recreate cannon, or do things differently with a character . They didn't in the past. For sake of some stupid joke or a gag. Like Penny been worn down by Leonard, French Toast is keeping Penny in the marriage. Sheldon giving Amy the secret password to his secret cave, to make up for her not allowed in a boys room. It's just the inconsistencies over the past three seasons, have killed the show for me. S10 seems no different. You get sweet, funny etc. Then you get lord what did she say? That's not very nice lol. Don't tell me it well be a love fest next Ep, as this Ep was mean. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

I love the smell of pedantry in the morning (sounds bitchy, but I'm being sincere).

Aww, shucks! I'm always happy to entertain you with my pedantry! <3

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Ha, I don't know why I thought that that conversation was about the Secret Invasion storyline. I might have been catching up on it at the same time as this episode (which aired some months after the Secret Invasion crossover concluded, apparently). Funny thing, the brain. Looking over the episode description, it's lousy with DC/Vertigo references. That, of all episodes, was not the one to attribute a Marvel reference to! If my argument were hinging on correct attribution there, I'd be looking no-how about now, eh?

Anyway, to the main point as to whether the treatment of nerdery has remained the same: hmmmmm. First off, let me stipulate that my reading of 'arcane' is now, and will always be, influenced by the sorts of pop culture with which I have any familiarity. But my recollection is that there was a time that references, and conversations, were permitted to get detailed enough that lay audiences wouldn't get them. Let's stick with 'the Hofstadter Isotope' for a moment. There's references to specific episodes of ST, and early computer games. I am perfectly willing to believe that if I knew these forms of entertainment better, I might sniff at the superficiality of the knowledge displayed, but at least on the surface there is a sense that this is an episode written by people with an at least passing enjoyment and knowledge of the pop culture they're referring to. The AV Club agrees, apparently: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-big-bang-theory-the-hofstadter-isotope-26600

For what it's worth, I don't think this approach excluded viewers, because I didn't need to watch the shows, or read the comics, or play the games, to get that these characters inhabited a lived-in universe of shared interests.

Compare this to, say, the Viewing Party episode. This is an episode about people who are apparently steeped in the Game of Thrones universe (and yet too good for cosplay), and Sheldon's read the Song of Ice and Fire books. But the entire 'Got parallels' idea seems to hinge on 'GoT=incest and intrigue'. In other words, the idea that anyone would have whose only knowledge of the series comes from a working internet connection and review headlines. Not reviews. Review headlines. I stipulate that I've read the books and watched a lot of the show, so my smell-test for GoT references may be different, but to me there is a qualitative difference between allowing the characters to make specific references that go at least one layer below the surface, and having the character effectively just shout 'Game of Thrones!' 'Star Wars!' at each other. It's the difference between the conversation we're having right now, for example, and if we were just yelling 'Bazinga!' at each other. And I get that you don't want to get that much into the guts of whatever entertainment and risk alienating your audience. But my impression is that, between Seasons two and five, the show trusted its audience a little more, and trusted that they'd get the rough idea without having everything broken down (although quite a lot was, as you say, very clunkily fed to its audience). Nowadays, I think that the references are much lazier, and much broader. The nerdery is, in my view, only a part of that.

So basically what I got from all of this: If you're not familiar with a certain subject and you don't get the references then you feel they're "arcane" but since you get a lot of stuff they reference these days, like GoT for example, it's all "They're just yelling what's popular at each other!" Meanwhile my counter point is: If you roughly know what's going on in the geeky sphere (you don't need in-depth knowledge for any of this) it has always been "They're just yelling what's popular at each other!" And I don't mean that as a bad thing, cause as I said and you seem to agree, it makes the whole thing accessible and you don't need to understand every reference to get the point that they are geeks sharing certain interests.

It seems the big difference in perception is really just how many of those references you understand to see how clunky or elegant it's incorporated into any given episode, and surely they're some that do it better than others. I mean, the GoT episode wasn't my fave either but for someone who hasn't much knowledge of it beyond that it's some show that's all the rage right now? The book references, teasing each other with spoilers, the characters apparently engaging in intrigue and backstabbing as references to the show - all of that is just as "arcane" to them as Stuart and Sheldon yelling "Batman and Robin!" at each other.

• Like 3

It has been said in interviews that this is a refection of the talk that occurs in the writers room as a result of their own interests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Compare this to, say, the Viewing Party episode. This is an episode about people who are apparently steeped in the Game of Thrones universe (and yet too good for cosplay), and Sheldon's read the Song of Ice and Fire books. But the entire 'Got parallels' idea seems to hinge on 'GoT=incest and intrigue'. In other words, the idea that anyone would have whose only knowledge of the series comes from a working internet connection and review headlines. Not reviews. Review headlines. I stipulate that I've read the books and watched a lot of the show, so my smell-test for GoT references may be different, but to me there is a qualitative difference between allowing the characters to make specific references that go at least one layer below the surface, and having the character effectively just shout 'Game of Thrones!' 'Star Wars!' at each other. It's the difference between the conversation we're having right now, for example, and if we were just yelling 'Bazinga!' at each other. And I get that you don't want to get that much into the guts of whatever entertainment and risk alienating your audience. But my impression is that, between Seasons two and five, the show trusted its audience a little more, and trusted that they'd get the rough idea without having everything broken down (although quite a lot was, as you say, very clunkily fed to its audience). Nowadays, I think that the references are much lazier, and much broader. The nerdery is, in my view, only a part of that.

I get what you are trying to say. Don't know if it is a pre-s6 thing or post s6 thing, but I would love more funny and passionate geeky discussions on the show, without being clouded by soap-opera-ishness.  I loved the "How Superman cleans his suit" discussion, the gang talking about Kryptonian pit stains with so much passion.LOL.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, April said:

Aww, shucks! I'm always happy to entertain you with my pedantry! <3

So basically what I got from all of this: If you're not familiar with a certain subject and you don't get the references then you feel they're "arcane" but since you get a lot of stuff they reference these days, like GoT for example, it's all "They're just yelling what's popular at each other!" Meanwhile my counter point is: If you roughly know what's going on in the geeky sphere (you don't need in-depth knowledge for any of this) it has always been "They're just yelling what's popular at each other!" And I don't mean that as a bad thing, cause as I said and you seem to agree, it makes the whole thing accessible and you don't need to understand every reference to get the point that they are geeks sharing certain interests.

It seems the big difference in perception is really just how many of those references you understand to see how clunky or elegant it's incorporated into any given episode, and surely they're some that do it better than others. I mean, the GoT episode wasn't my fave either but for someone who hasn't much knowledge of it beyond that it's some show that's all the rage right now? The book references, teasing each other with spoilers, the characters apparently engaging in intrigue and backstabbing as references to the show - all of that is just as "arcane" to them as Stuart and Sheldon yelling "Batman and Robin!" at each other.

April... I want to give you a million likes. This post made my day. 

• Like 2

I'm really hoping for a S10 premiere promo tomorrow night, after the 8:00 or 9:00 rerun on CBS! We're almost there! Anyone else hearing wedding bells? :D

Edited by Kev0821
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, spidergirl1975 said:

Let me tell this and I say this with all admiration for you all: this tbbt fan site has really awesome viwers as they have very interisting points and theories  about the show. It has made me think more about a lot of things that some I am glad I am not alone and other, even dont agree with them , they are very interisting to read by diferent point of views about same events and characters.Thanks so much for sharing them.Love being  part of tbbt fan base ☺

Agreed. Saves me a lot of time actually thinking for myself.

I  wonder if much these quality and consistency issues result from the show's own success and the consequent problems of finding novelty. They aren't swimming in a very deep pool of content and they need to surprise their viewers from time to time to retain interest. If they were consistent they'd be predictable - maybe that would lead to them being boring.

It's awesome they have have run so long, considering how they are pretty much stuck in a couple of rooms.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, camelliayao said:

Agree. And I don't even think it was a joke. "Who's the only one who can make him take his medicine when he's sick". I mean what's so funny???

The funny side is that many women will recognise that it's quite usual for men to take preventative medicines and be health freaks when they're well or only mildly off-colour, but to  refuse flat-out to do anything about it when they're actually ill. Look how Sheldon rejected the medicine Bernadette brought him and how he wouldn't even let Emily take a look at him when he was sick in bed with 'flu'. Apart from a Vick chest-rub I bet it's horrendous trying to get Sheldon to take prescribed medicines when there's anything really wrong. That's if they can get him to the doctor in the first place.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

The funny side is that many women will recognise that it's quite usual for men to take preventative medicines and be health freaks when they're well or only mildly off-colour, but to  refuse flat-out to do anything about it when they're actually ill. Look how Sheldon rejected the medicine Bernadette brought him and how he wouldn't even let Emily take a look at him when he was sick in bed with 'flu'. Apart from a Vick chest-rub I bet it's horrendous trying to get Sheldon to take prescribed medicines when there's anything really wrong. That's if they can get him to the doctor in the first place.

I disagree. Even if the writers indeed intended to use men and them being health freaks but acting like a child when actually sick as a joke, I think the joke is in episode 13 where Sheldon was actually sick and refused everything, not this line in episode 21. Because what's funny IMO is Sheldon acting like a child and the series of behaviors when he's sick, not the mentioning of it.

• Like 2

Nice dress on Penny and the setting looks much better than the tacky Vegas one.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Hey, red vines are red liquorice. Who knew.

I suspected they were looking at the times they were eating them on the show but wasn't 100% certain.

Don't hang out here much but didn't want anyone who's not on the Shamy thread often to miss out.

There is a Instagram account bigbangtheory.updates if anyone follows them they have a promo trailer up today :) 

On 10 September 2016 at 10:44 PM, Carlos said:

I respect your posts and opinion, but it is amazing how we can both have opinions that differ so much. I loved S9 Ep 1-10 because I thought the writers were going to give us a cogent story, and there was going to be real growth and then the writers gave us the crap story they did. I remember that back then I used to appear on the Shamy thread and tried to appease Shamy shippers and reassure them that everything would be OK in the end. When the writers decided to get Shamy back together with no real change, I simply stopped caring, not for Shamy, but for the writing of them. Everybody knows I'm a Lenny, but I've cared about Shamy, but their story, or for that matter the Lenny + Sheldon story makes no sense to me as of right now. If to that we add the fact that the split of a couple was seen 95% from 1 character's point of view and %5 from the other's, you can understand why my confidence in the writers'  abilities has diminished exponentially through the years.

Yes, these writers brought us Shamy (and Lenny), but IMO their stories, as presently being told are pure, unadulterated crap.

Life would be very boring if we all thought exactly the same way, so I'll  agree to disagree on this ! 

Also, yes  I love Shamy but I also love the whole show - I think it's amazing ! :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soopysue said:

Don't hang out here much but didn't want anyone who's not on the Shamy thread often to miss out.

There is a Instagram account bigbangtheory.updates if anyone follows them they have a promo trailer up today :) 

Life would be very boring if we all thought exactly the same way, so I'll  agree to disagree on this ! 

Also, yes  I love Shamy but I also love the whole show - I think it's amazing ! :) 

Thanks Soopysue!!!

• Like 1

That IG promo looks more like the typical garden variety, safe,  generic sitcom /rom-com with a bit of family drama , weddings and proposal bluffs. Feels very interchangeable with any other show . So blah.  Nothing out of ordinary. Well, except for S hugging Lenny part(  that would only happen in tbbt ) . I think ep 2 and 3 will be funnier.

Also looks like the main goal of the promo was to draw attention of the viewers (falsely) to the idea that S might propose to A -such a tease for those expecting a shamy proposal but dont have spoilers yet LOL ! 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 1