Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

It's really just an expression.  Proposal vary depending on the participants from very extravagant to quite simple.

For me, I used it here to mean that I think that Amy would want Sheldon to go back to Pasadena and propose to her under calmer circumstances after having put some thought into it.

But who knows, she may simply say yes to Sheldon's 10x24 proposal on the spot, embracing the impulsiveness of the moment, just as @jenafan harked back to in the Earworm episode.

Right. I just think it depends on preference. To you, it seems rushed and like he's not in his right mind. To me, the thought of someone I was missing terribly knocking on the door and proposing to me is a dream come true.

Part of what drives this opinion is how upset I was that Meemaw told Amy about the ring. In all honesty, if Amy was still in the dark about it, I might even go as far as to say that I would hate this proposal. He could have done anything and she would've been shocked before, but since she knows that Sheldon wants to propose and has the ring, the ways he could surprise her have depleted to practically nothing. This is as close to surprising for us and for her as we're going to get, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want Amy to say no and kick him back to Pasadena that's too angsty (and overblown) for me...but I don't want a sudden yes either per se. I could imagine Amy having a slight panic attack from the shock (call back to Prom) and Sheldon gets up to help her into the apartment to calm down. They both realize it's late and they go to sleep (in the same bed! :icon_redface:) to wake up together. And now that they've both caught their breath they can talk things out. I want her to say yes in the end (of course!) but a well thought out yes.

what I NEED, is for Sheldon to make it clear that this is NOT an ultimatum (for my own silly reasons). To contrast 9x07. If one of them feels they're not ready for whatever reasons the other needs to respect that. and talk things out, come to an understanding. Marriage should not be treated as some sort of mandate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shamyyellow said:

Right. I just think it depends on preference. To you, it seems rushed and like he's not in his right mind. To me, the thought of someone I was missing terribly knocking on the door and proposing to me is a dream come true.

Part of what drives this opinion is how upset I was that Meemaw told Amy about the ring. In all honesty, if Amy was still in the dark about it, I might even go as far as to say that I would hate this proposal. He could have done anything and she would've been shocked before, but since she knows that Sheldon wants to propose and has the ring, the ways he could surprise her have depleted to practically nothing. This is as close to surprising for us and for her as we're going to get, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

To be honest, I'm happy if Amy is happy.  I just tend to walk on the more wary side of things.

God, I hate cliffhangers, months of speculation is exhausting.  lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vonmar said:

To be honest, I'm happy if Amy is happy.  I just tend to walk on the more wary side of things.

God, I hate cliffhangers, months of speculation is exhausting.  lol

yeah, that's why I just started binge watching Scrubs (my brother convinced me), I need to fill my entertainment needs or my whole summer is going to be filled with the never ending cycle of "totally at peace" to "so scared and nervous I'm actually having panic attacks" and so on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gsxdoug said:

Have to disagree with the bolded part. From what I remember of Mandy's reaction, I got the impression she was "doing the rounds" and didn't remember because there was more than one guy involved.

She had no idea she kissed Leonard because she asked if she slept with him, when he first reminded her of the boat, before he told her they just kissed and then after he did, she was relieved that they just kissed.  According to almost every court in the country, a person who is so drunk that they don't know what they are doing is not a willing participant, especially if it is a woman.  Leonard had been drinking and as soon as he realized he was kissing Mandy he stopped it, that does not sound like a willing participant, a willing participant would not stop it because they would know what they are doing because they want to do it.  Also Leonard said it was only just kissing, they were not making out, and since it was off screen Leonard and Mandy's lips could have been in contact less than Sheldon and Ramona's, we don't know, but that doesn't stop the Leonard haters from labeling him a cheater.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I don't know, I think you could say the incident of Ramona stealing a kiss made Sheldon truly see that the only woman for him is Amy and that she was so important to him he literally traveled across the country to ask her to marry him.  That does sound pretty romantic to me, come on he traveled across the country, almost 3000 miles, to ask the woman he loves to marry him, that's good enough to be a scene in a romantic movie.

I think the writers already told us, in this entire episode, Sheldon was thinking about Amy, and she was the only woman for him by those skype scenes and some lines. 

I'm NOT mad at him about the kiss at all, and I'm willing to defend him about the "cheating" part at any time.

So, to me, this "involving third party" proposal was really unnecessary. To me, they could just go to the city hall and get married. The plots in Season 10 suggested to me they were as good as married anyway.

But you are right, the "traveling across country to propose to the woman he loves" plot was indeed romantic, and I understand the writers' intention about "creating a drama cliffhanger to intrigue viewers".

Just, I wish the proposal was not the cliffhanger,  is all.

That being said, I had a feeling that the casual audience would buy this surprising cliffhanger.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SRAM said:

She had no idea she kissed Leonard because she asked if she slept with him, when he first reminded her of the boat, before he told her they just kissed and then after he did, she was relieved that they just kissed.  According to almost every court in the country, a person who is so drunk that they don't know what they are doing is not a willing participant, especially if it is a woman.  Leonard had been drinking and as soon as he realized he was kissing Mandy he stopped it, that does not sound like a willing participant, a willing participant would not stop it because they would know what they are doing because they want to do it.  Also Leonard said it was only just kissing, they were not making out, and since it was off screen Leonard and Mandy's lips could have been in contact less than Sheldon and Ramona's, we don't know, but that doesn't stop the Leonard haters from labeling him a cheater.

 

 

I don't think it is hating on Leonard to label him a cheater. I am a big Leonard fan, And I 100% think he cheated. What other logical explanation is their? He kissed another woman, while still with Penny, pretty black and white tbh. He also made out with Alice in Season 5, while still "technically" with Priya. That is the simlarities. Alice and Mandy both happened when His SO's were in another country or continent. So the whole adage, what stays on campus, stays on campus. But still transfers to real life. I think Leonard is susceptible to attention from the opposite sex. Does not make Leonard a cheater, but he did cheat in circumstance. With Sheldon I don't have enough information, through the broadcast to judge yet. But it seems similar. The issue with Leonard/Mandy. Was not that he made out with her. IF he told Penny moment he came back. Then fine, they could work through it. But to wait two years, and to drop it day of their wedding. And then proceed to work with that two year periord. That bothered me. Leonard's dishonesty. Well Sheldon tell Amy about Romana kissing him? I Think he owes it to her. They cannot enter a married based on pre conceived ideas. 

Edited by 3ku11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I don't know, I think you could say the incident of Ramona stealing a kiss made Sheldon truly see that the only woman for him is Amy and that she was so important to him he literally traveled across the country to ask her to marry him.  That does sound pretty romantic to me, come on he traveled across the country, almost 3000 miles, to ask the woman he loves to marry him, that's good enough to be a scene in a romantic movie.

Me as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jenafan said:

I don't think Sheldon is panicking.   I think he has come to a realization, and I think the proposal does come from Sheldon's heart.   I think missing Amy in addition to being kissed by another woman has evolved into Amy being his girlfriend not being enough for him anymore.  

I hope Amy says yes, because if she says no, it will be like the break up all over again.   At least for me.   I don't want to see Sheldon suffer anymore worrying about losing her and have to put the ring back in the safe.   Enough is enough.

He has come to such a big realization that he watches sponge bob on the flight to Princeton?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

He has come to such a big realization that he watches sponge bob on the flight to Princeton?

What do you want him to do? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

Ramona kisses Sheldon, which prompts him to get on a plane to Princeton. He drops to one knee and proposes. Amy is shocked. It's a cliffhanger, so we don't have a yes or no.

1) Sooooooooooooooooooo OOC. SO now we are to believe that Sheldon is so irresistible that Ramona felt she had to kiss him after 8 years? Specially when before there wasn't any kind of romantic vibes between them? Was it a kiss a la boat kiss or not.

2) Not really a cliffhanger. Everybody knows Amy's going to say yes. If we are to go by canon the gang should make fun of Shamy in S11 opener right after they announce their engagement like they made fun of Lenny when they announced theirs.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

What do you want him to do? 

Simple.

Say something before he gets down on one knee and explain why he has kept that ring for over a year since Meemaw came but suddenly wants to propose now. Or maybe tell Amy what just happened before he proposes? What leads to his proposal? Or just say something, anything?

I've literally never seen a guy simply get down on one knee and propose without saying anything on TV, not even I love you/I want to spend my life with you/how happy you've made me? If that's too "normal" for Sheldon, he can express his feelings in his unique way, like "you are my earworm". 

I mean, is SPEAKING too difficult a task for Sheldon now? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BBT70 said:

It will start in season 11 , new career for Penny

Says who? The writers are not only abysmal writers, they are bad business people since they spend 2M/episode for a big ball of nothing. This is beyond pathetic.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kazzie, thanks for your very detailed taping reports! They're greatly appreciated!!! In 10.24, is Sheldon traveling a montage set to music? I guess music is edited-in later, but did you get that impression? How was that portion of the episode delivered? You mentioned that Sheldon was watching Spongebob... Were his travels comical, serious, happy, sad, or perhaps all of the above? Again, many thanks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, No Regrets said:

If only their on screen time was half as sweet as their off screen time.

I think that if Lenny want quality scripts they should get a spinoff sit-com and different writers.

19 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

But we never saw Mandy kiss Leonard onscreen.  I thought the Mandy/Leonard kiss was kinda mutual ?  But we will have a visual of Ramona kissing Sheldon  onscreen-he didn't return the kiss. IMO it is pointless to compare the 2 situations. 

Although it does sound like this Ramona plot  is basically Alex and Mandy plots rehashed and combined into one.  Only difference is oblivious Sheldon and he is not getting it. He has no intention to cheat though. 

Yes, the Leonard-Mandy kiss was not seen onscreen, and therein lies the problem. I, for example didn't think it was mutual and felt like there was no intent on Leonard's part either. What muddled the waters was that he waited 2 years to tell Penny, which was of course because the writers thought of it 2 years later. I hope Sheldon tells Amy right away and that the writers don't make him hide it for 2 years.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Simple.

Say something before he gets down on one knee and explain why he has kept that ring for over a year since Meemaw came but suddenly wants to propose now. Or maybe tell Amy what just happened before he proposes? What leads to his proposal? Or just say something, anything?

I've literally never seen a guy simply get down on one knee and propose without saying anything on TV, not even I love you/I want to spend my life with you/how happy you've made me? If that's too "normal" for Sheldon, he can express his feelings in his unique way, like "you are my earworm". 

I mean, is SPEAKING too difficult a task for Sheldon now? 

1. This has nothing to do with what you said about Sheldon watching Spongebob on the plane. To that, I say in big moments like flying to NJ to propose to your girlfriend, life doesn't stop or change for you. You have to do something for the 6 hours you're up there. If watching cartoons is too blasé for a man who has made a life changing epiphany, why wouldn't the same logic apply for a man who is in a panic? 

2. The ending was a cliffhanger. It was designed so the audience would have a million questions and no answers until S11. It's already a huge complaint that this is an awful cliffhanger because we already know she's going to say yes. If Sheldon said anything more than he did, we would have more answers than the writers want us to have right now. It certainly doesn't mean that when the show returns, we won't see or hear what happens next and get all the answers you seem to want right now.

It's silly to expect them to get into the thick of it when the writers were obviously going for shock and awe. It may not work for you, but it will for most of their audience.

Edited by shamyyellow
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shamyyellow said:

1. This has nothing to do with what you said about Sheldon watching Spongebob on the plane. To that, I say in big moments like flying to NJ to propose to your girlfriend, life doesn't stop or change for you. You have to do something for the 6 hours you're up there. If watching cartoons is too blasé for a man who has made a life changing epiphany, why wouldn't the same logic apply for a man who is in a panic? 

2. The ending was a cliffhanger. It was designed so the audience would have a million questions and no answers until S11. It's already a huge complaint that this is an awful cliffhanger because we already know she's going to say yes. If Sheldon said anything more than he did, we would have more answers than the writers want us to have right now. It certainly doesn't mean that when the show returns, we won't see or hear what happens next and get all the answers you seem to want right now.

It's silly to expect them to get into the thick of it when the writers were obviously going for shock and awe. It may not work for you, but it will for most of their audience.

I'm fully aware this is a cliffhanger and how cliffhanger works. They'll probably explain more in the next season.

I just want the "more" part to be Amy saying no to Sheldon's proposal. That's all.

I want a more proper and less ridiculous proposal. After all the things Shamy went through, they deserve an engagement scene that at least makes sense. Because this one (assuming Amy says yes) is shit. It's worse than Lenny's first wedding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally from a non shipper pov.  I find the idea of Sheldon proposing impulsively non romantic. And Amy would be premature to rush into a marrage based on that. Amy saying yes, while not knowing some woman kissed him? Surley that is going to bring some doubt into her mind. I mean Shamy have not been through the stress Lenny went through. But I Still think Amy should say no at this juncture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, luminous said:

 

I think that belongs in the Kaley Cuoco thread. Last time I checked the boyfriend of the moment wasen't a cast member ;). This is the show thread.....

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Personally from a non shipper pov.  I find the idea of Sheldon proposing impulsively non romantic. And Amy would be premature to rush into a marrage based on that. Amy saying yes, while not knowing some woman kissed him? Surley that is going to bring some doubt into her mind. I mean Shamy have not been through the stress Lenny went through. But I Still think Amy should say no at this juncture. 

I think Amy has an odd sense of what is romantic so no normal rules apply. A ring ought to be 1000 times bigger than a tiara I expect she will say yes if she does not have a heart attack or stroke from all the excitement..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think they ought to avoid multiple proposals. We have seen that already with Lenny. They can go to city hall and get it out of the way quickly. Season 11 and Sheldon is a new man.

Thur4.jpg.c6ebd39be763f4da1724faff9743b82d.jpg

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

I'm torn. I think there's two ways this can go:

1. Amy says yes immediately and later finds out about what exactly prompted Sheldon to fly out to see her. Potential drama with her questioning Sheldon's motive. Maybe.

2. Amy asks Sheldon to come in and asks him why he's suddenly proposing. He explains and she (most likely) will say yes afterwards.

I'm torn because while I love that he flew there to propose, I hate every possible answer she can give. To just say yes as if she has no questions about what the hell is happening would be weird. To say "yes, of course" and then immediately follow up with questions would ruin everything. Not giving him an answer and immediately rushing into questioning him might result in her saying no and then we'll get multiple proposals. I also don't want this biting her in the ass later. Even the possibility that they'll return 3 months later and we'll never get to see what happens sounds awful. 

I'm hoping the writers do their magic and find a way. It might even be up to Jim and Mayim to sprinkle their magic on whatever scenario plays out. I'm sure it'll be fine, but the possibilities all stress me out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the minor but amusing point about Sheldon swimming. I'm reminded of the discussion in Deviated Septum.

Leonard: He was so busy figuring out how many parts per million of urine we’d be floating around in, he didn’t even question it.

Scene: Amy’s car.

Sheldon: 18 parts per million. And he’s still doing it.

I'm pretty sure this was after he'd kissed Amy and her germ-filled mouth so the idea that Sheldon would go into a pool with that urine knowledge in mind is pretty funny/ridiculous/OOC/totally unimportant (take your pick) :icon_cheesygrin:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shamyyellow said:

I'm torn because while I love that he flew there to propose, I hate every possible answer she can give. To just say yes as if she has no questions about what the hell is happening would be weird. To say "yes, of course" and then immediately follow up with questions would ruin everything. Not giving him an answer and immediately rushing into questioning him might result in her saying no and then we'll get multiple proposals. I also don't want this biting her in the ass later. Even the possibility that they'll return 3 months later and we'll never get to see what happens sounds awful. 

Everything you say makes sense. They chose a weird route to go for sure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.