The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

1 hour ago, Judith said:

I think Sheldon's digs would be received better if the Lenny relationship/representation in the show were in a better state. That's why I, for example, don't get upset when characters say things like Amy is ruining her life by being in a relationship with Sheldon. I watch Shamy and know that it's not true.

Judith, this is a very insightful comment.  Just want to give you a shout out for it. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cloud Strife said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit when these characters make fun of each other? I feel like they're all in a good enough place right now to do that. They're not crossing any lines and neither is it exclusively happening to Lenny. Sheldon has been making fun of Leonard since he started chasing Penny, so effectively since the very first episode. If you only now realize these jokes are old, you're very late to the party.

No, not at all. It is a sitcom after all. Insults are part of the landscape. 

• Like 4

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit when these characters make fun of each other? I feel like they're all in a good enough place right now to do that. They're not crossing any lines and neither is it exclusively happening to Lenny. Sheldon has been making fun of Leonard since he started chasing Penny, so effectively since the very first episode. If you only now realize these jokes are old, you're very late to the party.

Nope! You're not the only one. As far as I'm concerned, if you took out all the sniping and 'ripping the piss' as we say in my neck of the woods, you'd have a pretty boring comedy.
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Judith said:

No matter who? All I see is Sheldon this, Sheldon that, but OK.

Where did I make this a competition? I simply said that everyone has insulted everyone at some point, so it's not like Sheldon is this big bad person who insults poor, innocent Leonard. Also, me saying that Leonard's drugging digs are worse than Sheldon's education digs isn't me making it a competition. It's stating an opinion. Saying a university must be bad because a certain someone got their Phd there isn't near as bad as saying that someone is acting polite only because they were drugged. Comparison is not the same as competition. Also, if I were to use your logic, then you're the one making it a competition, by mentioning that Sheldon has been insulting Leonard for years as if it has anything to do with me comparing Leonard's drugging dig and Sheldon's phd one.

I was trying to show you that we can come up with really bad things from/on all characters if we are comparing so ee better not go there. You were mentioning the drugging comments in comparison to the university comment (which I agree is a mild one, there are many which were much worse). As if Sheldon's comments are mild and Leonard is that big bad guy who tortures him for no reason. I'm sorry if I got you wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Tenji said:

Nope! You're not the only one. As far as I'm concerned, if you took out all the sniping and 'ripping the piss' as we say in my neck of the woods, you'd have a pretty boring comedy.

Yes, there are certain types of jokes that kinda piss me off and I wouldn't be sad to see some of the running gags die in a fire but overall throwing around some digs here and there is part of the glue that holds the gang together in a weird way. Intellectual disses are something that fits the show pretty well and there have been plenty of hilarious ones over the past 10 seasons - please more of that and less slut-shaming.

• Like 3

Yes, there are certain types of jokes that kinda piss me off and I wouldn't be sad to see some of the running gags die in a fire but overall throwing around some digs here and there is part of the glue that holds the gang together in a weird way. Intellectual disses are something that fits the show pretty well and there have been plenty of hilarious ones over the past 10 seasons - please more of that and less slut-shaming.

I know what you mean... it can sometimes become repetitive but I don't mind a few of those gags as Penny doesn't seem that upset and she has always shown pride in the fact that guys have always been into her (and there's nothing wrong with that!). I think all of the characters give as good as they get which is great!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

It is okay for Leonard to make jokes about Sheldon's relationship with Amy, but it is not okay for Sheldon to make jokes about Leonard's education. 

I really don't see the big issue here to be honest. 

What do you think about the jokes about Leonard and Penny's relationship?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

It is okay for Leonard to make jokes about Sheldon's relationship with Amy, but it is not okay for Sheldon to make jokes about Leonard's education. 

I really don't see the big issue here to be honest. 

If Leonard were extraordinary dumb, like Zack, I'd say it's inappropriate to make jokes about his education. But since there's nothing wrong with Leonard's education, I don't see the problem. Everyone knows the fact that he went to Princeton doesn't mean anything. Jokes are not supposed to reflect the truth.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cloud Strife said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit when the characters make fun of each other? I feel like they're all in a good enough place right now to do that. They're not crossing any lines and neither is it exclusively happening to Lenny. Sheldon has been making fun of Leonard since he started chasing Penny, so effectively since the very first episode. If you only now realize these jokes are old, you're very late to the party.

I fully expect all various digs to continue. I really don't mind them and I even find them funny - including the ones targeting Shamy (and especially when they come from Howard because Award is my favourite friendship on the show -> Amy/Howard for the uninitiated). My only problem is the drugging gag and the slut-shaming. Sheldon has made a lot of conscious effort to become a better human being - with flaws - and throwing it back in his face by saying someone must have drugged him is uncalled for. Of course I want the slut-shaming to disappear too. I'm tired of the writers using Penny's past as a legit way to insult her, whether that comes from Sheldon just stating a fact (doesn't change the writers' intention) or Howard straight out slut-shaming her. I also have to wonder if upping the edge of Leonard's insults towards Sheldon now that he doesn't live with him anymore is the writers' way of showing that their relationship is more equal now. If it is, I think they can do that while staying away from certain insults that are going too far.

53 minutes ago, bfm said:

I was trying to show you that we can come up with really bad things from/on all characters if we are comparing so ee better not go there. You were mentioning the drugging comments in comparison to the university comment (which I agree is a mild one, there are many which were much worse). As if Sheldon's comments are mild and Leonard is that big bad guy who tortures him for no reason. I'm sorry if I got you wrong. 

I know that all characters have said bad things. I don't see anything wrong with comparing two insults and saying that one is worse than the other. Why shouldn't I go there?

I wasn't saying that Leonard is the big bad guy who tortures Sheldon for no reason. All I was saying was that everyone has thrown insults in the show, not just Sheldon, and it just so happens that Leonard can sometimes be worse than him in that department. So no, Sheldon isn't the big bad guy either. Don't twist my words. 

Eta: combined two paragraphs.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, luminous said:

What do you think about the jokes about Leonard and Penny's relationship?

You could call them annoying and not necessary, but this goes both ways. There is no need for Leonard or Penny  to make insults about Shamy either in my world.  

Comedy is so much more than just easy jokes and insults at each other. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

You could call them annoying and not necessary, but this goes both ways. There is no need for Leonard or Penny  to make insults about Shamy either in my world.  

Comedy is so much more than just easy jokes and insults at each other. 

Especially among friends. Some mockery is fun but jokes based on insults are not funny imo whoever the character. And in that department any of them is an saint.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 7

Actually, posts, that quoted a post that has been hidden, have been hidden themselves.  If you have a question about moderation, please start a thread in "The Site" section of the forum, or PM either me or Tripper.  I'm getting ready to go onstage, I'm sorry I don't have the time to edit the posts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cloud Strife said:

I do. Sheldon constantly mocks Leonard's career. And his relationship with Penny. And so do his friends. Only last episode. Everyone goes on about everyone making fun of each other. Really? Seems only Leonard gets the brunt of the jokes. If Sheldon is so evolved. He should be more self aware. And have Some respect for his "friend". I don't buy oh he's done it since the pilot. As some kinda justification. Doesent excuse it at all. 

Edited by Tensor
Removed comment directed at other members.
  • Like 4

Now I am wondering. Who does not mock Leonard?

• Alfred
  • Mary
  • Alex, Lucy...
  • Burt

Some mocking is friendly banter and a person does well to have a sense of humor. Sheldon is different and more cutting. It would stink in real life but seems in place in a sitcom. I think it was worse in the early years.

• Like 5

I'm glad to see that Amy and Bernadette will be back next season! If it was reported in this thread earlier I missed it. Amy can say yes!

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/big-bang-theory-mayim-bialik-melissa-rauch-1202402223/

My prediction:

I figure Amy will say "Sheldon".

Sheldon will either say something heartfelt and meaningful or something really stupid. One never knows with Sheldon.

Amy will say yes or no depending on what else he has to say.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

Everyone goes on about everyone making fun of each other. Really? Seems only Leonard gets the brunt of the jokes. If Sheldon is so evolved. He should be more self aware. And have Some respect for his "friend". I don't buy oh he's done it since the pilot. As some kinda justification. Doesent excuse it at all. 

But Leonard consistently makes jokes at Sheldon's expense too. Even the last episode there were a few about Sheldon being annoying and not funny etc... you can pretty much pick any episode to see Leonard saying stuff like this.
  • Like 7

While on a beautiful Sunday trip…

g_108.gif.a69a1e016fed67d282f56b88d5c0d9b9.gif
…and then there were four (on a grrls riot). :icon_razz:

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tenji said:

But Leonard consistently makes jokes at Sheldon's expense too. Even the last episode there were a few about Sheldon being annoying and not funny etc... you can pretty much pick any episode to see Leonard saying stuff like this.

Unfortunately that's not a joke, Sheldon is annoying and not funny, in my eyes at least.

• Like 4

Leonard making fun of Sheldon.is nothing compared to the constant mockery Sheldon and everyone makes of Leonard and Lenny. Leonard barley makes jokes about Sheldon. And even if he does they are not as mean spirited as His friends do. And I don't see the writers painting Leonard as some perfect man. Like they Reguarly do with Sheldon.

Even last episode Raj mocking Leonard. Sorry I'm just over it. Leonard could of easily ended up with another smart and beautiful woman. Alex and Priya comes to mind. It's like his friends still see Lenny. As Penny the hot one settling, for the geek across the hall. The dynamic has changed so much over the years. I don't get it. But of course they can never make their highness Sheldon look bad. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

Unfortunately that's not a joke, Sheldon is annoying and not funny, in my eyes at least.

But I guess the point is that all of these snipes and quips are meant to be jokes. That is the preferred reading that the writers are aiming for (as it is a comedy). But as with all comedy, it is rather subjective. Where you might feel they are not jokes, I do. I find Leonard's jokes about Sheldon amusing. I also find Sheldon's comments about Leonard's supposed (in his eyes) shortcomings amusing.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, veejay said:

Nothing quite unexpected was happened.

l_120.gif.11a9d760fbc92ad20ca3d1663d2e919e.gif

Resistance is indispensable! :fi_lone_ranger:

When those who are supposed to fight evil instead join with it, all is Lost

JJXl7.gif

• Like 3

Sheldons an ass. I don't get why tptb let him get away with ALOT. With no come up pence. By shifting the focus too oh Leonard is mean too.

• Like 4

I think it is undeniable who loves one can't love the other. So that's  cool as they represent two guys they would not be perfect in their interactions as everybody else doesnt in their interactions in real life. No one would stop love one for hate the other, even imo it is not a question of if I dont love one it would mean I would feel hate about the other.

Sitcoms overeact some behaviors and tbbt is not exception. These characters represents human beings with a overeacted pack of emotions for comedy purpose. Sometimes they are so overeacted that doesnt make me laugh. But I move on to next scene/episode, as it will be worth to me for the reasons I enjoy to watch this show.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Sheldons an ass. I don't get why tptb let him get away with ALOT. With no come up pence. By shifting the focus too oh Leonard is mean too.

The relevant terms maybe "false equivalence", "partisanship", "whataboutism" and the inescapable "having a different preference". However, I'd say most people conduct themselves differently from Sheldon or don't hold powerful positions where they might behave as Sheldon to ill effect, so no harm results. 

It could be that the show might not sufficiently rebut Sheldon's various misdemeanours. There is definitely a thumb on the scale. But it is only an entertainment.

Cow forbid that someone who rebutted convention and followed their own self-interest as single-mindedly as Sheldon does achieve significant real power in the world.

Oh wait...

• Like 9