The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

3 hours ago, April said:

The experiment is for 5 weeks (the time it takes to finish the repairs in Amy's apartment) so that's a pretty finite time frame. Anything after that? As always we'll have to wait and see but I have my ideas/hopes... :icon_wink:

My hope is it finally resolves the LA. In addition Im thinking theres a good chance Amy finally moves in with Sheldon. In S9 she told Dave she was thinking of moving, albeit for a different reason at the time. The plumbing issue could motivate change, not to mention that Shamy shacking up for five weeks will no doubt be a huge (and hopefully positive) step for them. 

While I hope the experiment ends with this living arrangement I hope they draw it out a little first. There is a lot of potential for fun as they stumble through it all!

• Like 7

Thank you for the report, NortWonderland! I liked that Shamy had some development and that Sheldon displayed a desire for Amy, with all of that being funny and relatively in character. Leonard/Penny part sounds funny also.

Howard/Bernadette plot doesn't interest me (in general), but their debate and uncertainities were relatable and Raj peeking at the results was in character. And it's good to see them relatively content with each other, without much tension.

Looking forward to watching this episode. Season ten definitely sounds better than season nine so far. There are still some big flaws overall but oh well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I don't see the experiment ending the same way but who knows. I think many Lenny fans, myself included, would rather see them move over to 4b on their terms instead of Sheldon's terms. Also compared to Lenny's relationship Shamy's has had very little drama so a little more would be fine with me  As to Raj I agree with what you said. Hopefully you are right with that one.

i'm not even much of a lenny fan but i'd much rather them be in 4B as well, living a life away from Sheldon but close enough to where it's not too far. 

10 hours ago, wowbagger said:

There is a scraping at the door, and MOLARA enters the room. She is dressed in a mackintosh, glistening with the rain. Her eyes are frightened. The three look at her, half-hopefully, half-suspiciously.]

Molara: We don't have much time. Commandant Lorre has been called to the Momlands to quell an uprising, but he will be back.

It's Molaro, not Molara.

1 hour ago, notchinc said:

I see Kenneth and not Randall.

i know!! i keep expecting him to show up in his page uniform 

every time i hear jack i think kenneth parcel!!! 

im so excited for this episode!!!! also sheldon calling amy's ass hot is giving me life ngl

5 hours ago, djsurrey said:

It will be interesting to see if they continue the arc at all. I recall Penny taking a course and then no evidence of her taking a course. LA would be harder to sweep under the rug.

Indeed. They could explain the lack of evidence of Penny taking a course as she does that off screen. But with the experiment going on, Sheldon lives in 4B. So unless they stop writing scenes that happen in Sheldon's room or in 4B from now on, they're going to have to give us some follow ups of this storyline, at least a line or two. Also, since this experiment only lasts 5 weeks, and we have Bernie's pregnancy, which is a constant reminder of time passing by in show's world, they can't drag the experiment for too many episodes like they did with coitus.

• Like 1

Indeed. They could explain the lack of evidence of Penny taking a course as she does that off screen. But with the experiment going on, Sheldon lives in 4B. So unless they stop writing scenes that happen in Sheldon's room or in 4B from now on, they're going to have to give us some follow ups of this storyline, at least a line or two. Also, since this experiment only lasts 5 weeks, and we have Bernie's pregnancy, which is a constant reminder of time passing by in show's world, they can't drag the experiment for too many episodes like they did with coitus.

They dragged the Lenny engagement for a whole season and Lenny living with Sheldon was suppose to be for a short duration, Shamy sex, all never mentioned for x amount of episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one episode thing.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

They dragged the Lenny engagement for a whole season and Lenny living with Sheldon was suppose to be for a short duration, Shamy sex, all never mentioned for x amount of episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one episode thing.

I agree they dragged a lot of things before. But all the storylines you mentions here, they don't really have time limits. There's not really a rule that engaged couples "have to" get married within a specific time range. They never tell us exactly how long Lenny plan to live with Sheldon. And the lack of mentioning of Shamy sex, ridiculous as I think it is, "officially", their pact is once a year (Amy's next birthday). 

What I'm trying to say is if they weren't planning to give us some follow ups in the future about the experiment storyline, they really shouldn't have had mentioned a very specific "five weeks" or let Shamy live in 4B. Because they were making it harder for the audience to forget about the experiment. 

They could've let the experiment fail in this episode, thus never have to deal with it in the future. A very convenient solution would be when Amy suggests to end the experiment, Sheldon agrees. They had a get away card, but they didn't use it, which made me believe there should be more coming up about the storyline, or at least we'll get a line or two about how the experiment goes in the future.

• Like 2

I agree they dragged a lot of things before. But all the storylines you mentions here, they don't really have time limits. There's not really a rule that engaged couples "have to" get married within a specific time range. They never tell us exactly how long Lenny plan to live with Sheldon. And the lack of mentioning of Shamy sex, ridiculous as I think it is, "officially", their pact is once a year (Amy's next birthday). 

What I'm trying to say is if they weren't planning to give us some follow ups in the future about the experiment storyline, they really shouldn't have had mentioned a very specific "five weeks" or let Shamy live in 4B. Because they were making it harder for the audience to forget about the experiment. 

They could've let the experiment fail in this episode, thus never have to deal with it in the future. A very convenient solution would be when Amy suggests to end the experiment, Sheldon agrees. They had a get away card, but they didn't use it, which made me believe there should be more coming up about the storyline, or at least we'll get a line or two about how the experiment goes in the future.

Yeah. Agree but the thing is the fear for me is tptb will probably mention it in passing about the LA but not follow up on it as they do and move onto other things. Bet the next episode we see Sheldon in 4A as usual like he is still living there. After all it's the main set. I really want tptb to shock me and keep the experiment going for a few episodes. Could be a lot of comedy and laughs.

23 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Exactly. I personally think this will be a lot like Shamy's break-up -- not every episode was about it, but the consequences of that split showed up in every episode until they got back together. Just the fact that Sheldon wanted to continue the experiment ensures that it will be mentioned again because like you said, they could've just stopped it all together and didn't.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

It's Molaro, not Molara.

I think Godzilla, Mothra etc explain the vowel choice. Creature names with tremendous pedigrees, with Japanese roots. He's in good company.

• Like 5

Just watched the premiere. It was hilarious. Haven't laughed this much in a while.

You got to see it early!? How lucky. Glad it's good... Really looking forward to season 10.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, shamyyellow said:

Exactly. I personally think this will be a lot like Shamy's break-up -- not every episode was about it, but the consequences of that split showed up in every episode until they got back together. Just the fact that Sheldon wanted to continue the experiment ensures that it will be mentioned again because like you said, they could've just stopped it all together and didn't.

I agree with your logic.  On the other hand could they not put the time jump in here?

29 minutes ago, Tenji said:

You got to see it early!? How lucky. Glad it's good... Really looking forward to season 10.

I just had to bump you up from 666 likes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I've been wondering if the reaction (in real life)  to this move is what is going to be the deciding factor on whether the experiment is considered a success, and the couples continue to live seperately from each other.  Good reaction from critics and viewers, may push the writers to keep the couples together, maybe not in their current locations.  If the viewers and critics don't like it, then they will move everything back to the way it was. 

If that's the case, since 10.4 airs on 10/10, the new situation should last at least up to 10.6 and possibly 10.7, because the taping for that episode is on 10/18 and I don't think if the show gets negative feedback for 10.4 at it airs (I don't see how, there's nothing but good stuff in that episode, but...you know...everything is possible) there wouldn't be enough time to heavily change the script. Well...not that bad! On the other hand, they need to catch up with real time for the various holidays and for Bernie's pregnancy. My guess is we will get 2-3 episodes on this subject, of course not all of them heavily focused on the new situation.

• Like 1

Lenny are my main OTP on this show. But reading Sheldon and Amy in bed, and Sheldon ruffling round and moving. And Amy falling out of the bed, Gold! :sarcastichand:. Although the image of Shamy in Penny's bed, where Lenny have been several times, is a bit weird. But I guess after Bernadette and Howard did it in Sheldon's bed, weird was thrown out the Window LOL. Reading the Taping, it feels like TPTB are making a real effort, to bring the show back to being a comedy. 

ETA: I don't think the show needs to build up to LA. We have been bitching for three years about it, finnally make some movements, ppl still bitching lol. So a change in LA, is a filler episode to some, really? I am not sure about that. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, April said:

So yeah, I think the writers already settled on the outcome and are now working on selling it to the audience. But I also think that after the experiment there might be a time of the LAs going back to normal for a bit, maybe everybody gets mopy about how much better everything was in those 5 weeks and the two couples finally make moving plans. I guess the writers can somehow write their way out of this if somehow everybody hates this episode/development but I think that outcome is unlikely.

The reaction of the audience in tapping nights must be something very important to the writters, as it helps them  to improve a scene during the tape if it is needed or to lead some things to other directions in next episodes.

I remember to read tapping reports of ep 8 and 9 of season 9 where some viewers commented about their mood as they watched it or the mood of the audience  as they saw some scenes that got them really down. I believe the tbbt staff noticed that stuff and to me it was what made the shamy reunion to happen after an episode of both dating other people (Sheldon tried at least, lol) and an episode of them trying to be friends. They could have explored more the shamy separation but they felt that some viewers could stop to watch the show and it could ruin the all thing if the ratings decreased much.

Yesterday must have been a wonderful night for everyone who attended the tapping and I believe the writters wont leave drop the subject of cohabitation for many episodes, even it would be not the main focus of next episodes. They can play with so many things about the two couples about the LA and still the show goes on to other waters, as Howard and Bernardette baby and Raj love life (To me, the biggest problem in their hands right now).

TBBT makes lots of money but for they  keep that, they need happy viewers, viewers that watch the show every week with that tasty antecipation. :) 

Edited by spidergirl1975
  • Like 3

In a way this episode sets up a lot of things I've wanted for a long time, and I probably should be much happier about it. I still feel a bit flat, though. It's such a massive shift without build up that it feels jarring.

I'm glad Lorre's name is on it, it means he's bought into the decision. Holland, Tara and Dave are my three favorite Shamy writers, so I'm not surprised the characters and their story are written so great when all 3 of them are on the script at the same time. This is the way I Iike Sheldon and Amy to be....but it's just....the timing and sudden shift in direction of the characterization and plot is giving me that good ole TBBT whiplash that I don't think I can quite handle anymore. Once burned, twice shy and all that. Their pacing is still horrendous, and this episode screams: We have been given the green light! This is not a drill! We have the green light, all hands on deck, we might just be moving forward! I repeat, this is not a drill!

This follows the pattern of awesome first half of the season, and the 5 weeks that Amy is out of her place makes me wonder if this is a mini-arc that'll go into November sweeps when they split the apartments between the couples. 

Sheldon seems so forward and happy about it, I highly suspect the writing is already on the wall for how they want it to go. Big question is which couple will get what apartment, and perhaps that is the big plan or surprise for sweeps. Perhaps who gets 4A (which I think they could all afford now) will be settled by an epic couples game night. 

As for the rest....Lenny and Howardette's plots are a little lame. Howardette's plot is right off the pregnancy checklist, while Lenny have space for their own plot and all they get to do is.....dance? It reminds me a bit of the karaoke last season. Cute and funny, sure, but 12 minutes of a 19 minute episode spent in a tiki bar goofing off and singing? I get why @Chrismo thinks this feels like filler. It's like cotton candy; we all love cotton candy and it's pink and fluffy and sweet and all, but it's not very nutritious or anything. 

I am really glad to see Sheldon WANT something and do what he needs to do to go after it, though. He's acting like an adult again. I really hope that lasts.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 9

I think that the writing team does.care about audience reaction, but I also think they are individually very clear about their preferred creative vision and they wouldn't compromise that much on it to appease the audience. The disconnect, as I see it, is between individual visions in the writing room. There might be one clear set of plot points to work in, but the reason I, and Lio, and others, speculate on the authorial hand behind scripts and arcs, is that it really seems as though the WAY an exchange comes across is a function of which writer wins the tug-of-war that day.

Take this most recent episode, for example. There were a billion ways that it could have come across nastily.Based on the back half of season nine and the premiere of season ten, any of those seemed plausible. For example, Amy could have moved into Leonard's room. She could have been written as whining and begging for more intimacy to which Sheldon would have been oblivious. There could have been a number of jokes about how much of Amy's hair there is in the shower drain. I was girding my loins for any or all of these things, and glumly allowing for the team to impress me with some piece of recondite and subtle misogyny.

And what happens? Not only is there a shakeup in the arrangements, they happen in an atmosphere of clear expectations, good communication, and a bedrock of mutual understanding. It's...it's almost like I'm watching a couple that likes each other, though not always everything ABOUT each other! The couple I originally rooted for, before they turned into a tyrannical infant and a navel-gazing martyr!

it tempts me to wonder whether there is some sort of Faustian bargain where the Shamy's milestones (first kiss, mutual declarations of love, first sleepover, coitus, first attempt at cohabitation) are basically bang-on (if not perfect, then pretty near) in return for.....whatever purgatory they frequently have to kick their heels in in the intervening periods.

I don't think the team is unaware of or indifferent to the audience. But I am saying that critical/taping audience reactions would have to be pretty dire to sway them from their path. What the path is, now....that is always an exciting Schrodingerian uncollapsed wave function.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Lionne said:

In a way this episode sets up a lot of things I've wanted for a long time, and I probably should be much happier about it. I still feel a bit flat, though. It's such a massive shift without build up that it feels jarring. I'm glad Lorre's name is on it, it means he's bought into the decision. Holland, Tara and Dave are my three favorite Shamy writers, so I'm not surprised the characters and their story are written so great when all 3 of them are on the script at the same time. This is the way I Iike Sheldon and Amy to be....but it's just....the timing and sudden shift in direction of the characterization and plot is giving me that good ole TBBT whiplash that I don't think I can quite handle anymore. Once burned, twice shy and all that. Their pacing is still horrendous.

This follows the pattern of awesome first half of the season, and the 5 weeks that Amy is out of her place makes me wonder if this is a mini-arc that'll go into November sweeps when they split the apartments between the couples. 

Sheldon seems so forward and happy about it, I highly suspect the writing is already on the wall for how they want it to go. Big question is which couple will get what apartment, and perhaps that is the big plan or surprise for sweeps. Perhaps who gets 4A (which I think they could all afford now) will be settled by an epic couples game night. 

As for the rest....Lenny and Howardette's plots are a little lame. Howardette's plot is right off the pregnancy checklist, while Lenny have space for their own plot and all they get to do is.....dance? It reminds me a bit of the karaoke last season. Cute and funny, sure, but 12 minutes of a 19 minute episode spent in a tiki bar goofing off and singing? I get why @Chrismo thinks this feels like filler. It's like cotton candy; we all love cotton candy and it's pink and fluffy and sweet and all, but it's not very nutritious or anything. 

I am really glad to see Sheldon WANT something and do what he needs to do to go after it, though. He's acting like an adult again. I really hope that lasts.

Do you think this will lead to permanent LA change? I really hope it will. But I've been given false hopes for so many times.☹️