Jump to content

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah but it is a sitcom.  Alot of it is exagerrated. I more saw the running joke if their ever was one. That she was down on her luck, and never caught a break 

Or maybe if she was a big success then viewers would maybe question why she is still living in that apartment or that area? Her struggles with acting and her lack of money was a key component of her character over the years.

I want to see some resolution to her job (if it's still an issue, who knows it is a bit of a mess writing wise) but I really hope it's not back to acting. There are other things she could do, things potentially less stressful on her and her relationships.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, vonmar said:

From Mayim's Groknation 

“THE BIG BANG THEORY” SEASON 10 FINALE: BEHIND THE SCENES WITH MAYIM (SPOILERS)

Wow. Just wow. I know. Right?!

Tonight’s season 10 finale of TBBT sure left me with my jaw on the floor when I first read it. (I’m curious how you all felt seeing it…)

I had no idea this was coming. Like, none. After last week’s episode where they sent Amy to Princeton, I was thinking, “What!?” And then as I was reading this episode and Ramona is getting all cozy with Sheldon, I was thinking, “WHAT!?” and I had no clue how the episode was going to end.

Honestly, I didn’t know we were going to go here now. Our writers and producers know FAR better than I what should happen on this show; don’t get me wrong. But we had such a big year already: Penny and Leonard got married again (!) and we welcomed the Howard/Bernadette baby…that’s a lot.

It was emotional seeing Jim down on one knee. First of all, that’s just such a romantic lovely gesture that many of us never experience and it’s just sweet. And second of all, to have Sheldon in such a tender vulnerable position is just a lot. There were more than a few wet eyes during rehearsal and run-through for that final scene.

And as for what it’s like watching Riki Lindhome swoop in on Sheldon. I can’t lie: I felt a twinge of envy! As the actor who plays Amy, I feel like part of me is anchored to Sheldon because he has been my character’s beloved for so many years. Seeing Sheldon getting attention from a woman felt like it must have been empowering for him (if he were able to be conscious of it!), but when she kissed him – every time in rehearsal – I felt a twinge of discomfort! I know that might sound silly and I respect Riki as an actor tremendously, but I can’t help but feel like something that was ‘mine’ was being imposed upon! We’ll see if that continues next season; I have no clue if it will!

And please don’t ask me if I know what Amy’s going to respond in the season opener of season 11…because I don’t know! Your guess is as good as mine! Sure, I have opinions and ideas… as an actor and a writer, I could see this playing out several ways. But that’s not my job right now. My job is to wait through the summer to see what our writers decide….

I’m going to let the end of this season wash over me like we have to sometimes let life wash over us…with patience, gratitude, and appreciation for how very far we have come. As for what comes next, God only knows. And maybe Chuck Lorre. 

 

110359_WB_2430b-1.jpg

Ewwww , that is soooooo creepy 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

I read that Mayim has denied that the original cast took a pay cut.  Not exactly denied per sey, but she said we shouldnt  believe everything.

http://people.com/tv/mayim-bialik-reports-big-bang-theory-costars-pay-cuts/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

So are the original 5 still getting the same pay as last year ?

I think Mayim just did not want to relate about this gesture as she was one of the recipients. Also, the only other reason I can think of for the original 5 to take a paycut would be if tptb told them to or else the show would be cancelled.  Just a hunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Or maybe if she was a big success then viewers would maybe question why she is still living in that apartment or that area? Her struggles with acting and her lack of money was a key component of her character over the years.

I want to see some resolution to her job (if it's still an issue, who knows it is a best of a mess writing wise) but I really hope it's not back to acting. There are other things she could do, things potentially less stressful on her and her relationships.

I don't think anything will happen with Penny's job situation at all to be honest. I'm starting to think that Penny's career is the writers escape hatch when they really don't know what to write. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

Why do you find that creepy?  Just curious.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Her seeing another actor kissing another Mr.Parsons for the show , and her feeling envy/discomfort ( she even knew the whole story)

yuckkk, soooo creepy.

Edited by ATM
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Her seeing another actor kissing another Mr.Parsons for the show , and her feeling envy/discomfort ( she even knew the whole story)

yuckkk, soooo creepy.

I don't get it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Her seeing another actor kissing another Mr.Parsons for the show , and her feeling envy/discomfort ( she even knew the whole story)

yuckkk, soooo creepy.

Maybe Mayim wants to kiss Jim lol? Is that what your saying. I suggest she was being disengenious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ATM said:

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Her seeing another actor kissing another Mr.Parsons for the show , and her feeling envy/discomfort ( she even knew the whole story)

yuckkk, soooo creepy.

Perhaps there is more than one way to interpret Mayim's comments. The show needs her because of her characters relationship with Sheldon. Shamy is her meal ticket. It sounds to me like, "You are in my spot". 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I think Mayim just did not want to relate about this gesture as she was one of the recipients. Also, the only other reason I can think of for the original 5 to take a paycut would be if tptb told them to or else the show would be cancelled.  Just a hunch!

That wasn't even a possibility. The show was renewed for two seasons. $100,000 from each of the 5 is small change to WB/CBS/Syndication money coming in. Plus, we only know the 5 offered to take a 100k cut to fund Melissa/Mayim. We don't know if they actually did or had to. TBTB could have raised M/M without the 5's money.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

That wasn't even a possibility. The show was renewed for two seasons. $100,000 from each of the 5 is small change to WB/CBS/Syndication money coming in. Plus, we only know the 5 offered to take a 100k cut to fund Melissa/Mayim. We don't know if they actually did or had to. TBTB could have raised M/M without the 5's money.

Mayim's comments could have been about the stories of her and Melissa seeking parity. Anyway however it played out it got done, at least two more years of the full cast to look forward to. :)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

I've seen interviews with UK Soap actors on long running soaps that have played characters for say 10 years or more and they have expressed similar views when talking storylines for example Ken Barlow off Corrie kissed another woman and the woman who played his on screen wife Deidre when interviewed didn't like it or want to see it. If they love the character they play and really get invested into it then maybe it's natural to sometimes feel something like that, protective of it.

If you read the full article even Mayim says it's a bit silly to feel like that.

Well, someone 'married' to Ken Barlow would have to get used to that....

WWESD: What would Ena Sharples do?

12 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

That wasn't even a possibility. The show was renewed for two seasons. $100,000 from each of the 5 is small change to WB/CBS/Syndication money coming in. Plus, we only know the 5 offered to take a 100k cut to fund Melissa/Mayim. We don't know if they actually did or had to. TBTB could have raised M/M without the 5's money.

When I see the costs of producing one episode, it reminds me of those numbers saying "It costs x million dollars a day to keep the carrier LINCOLN at sea!" when it costs nearly as much to have it tied to the pier.  TBBT is making HUGE amounts of money in syndication.  I know movie stars often take smaller salaries in lieu of a great cut of residuals.  

There are a lot of ways to work out that equation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

(...) but at the end of the day the only people I feel sorry for are viewers who, like me, think the present incarnation of TBBT is sort of crap. We all watch the show because of what it represents to each of us individually.

I agree. I mean, whenever you watch a show for a long time there's always a risk of disappointment. It's happened to me with many, many shows. And in the end you wish you had devoted that precious time to something else.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

When I see the costs of producing one episode, it reminds me of those numbers saying "It costs x million dollars a day to keep the carrier LINCOLN at sea!" when it costs nearly as much to have it tied to the pier.  TBBT is making HUGE amounts of money in syndication.  I know movie stars often take smaller salaries in lieu of a great cut of residuals.  

There are a lot of ways to work out that equation.

That's a false equivalency though.  TBBT is making a huge amount of money, for Warner Brothers.  But, CBS is the entity that pays most of the salaries and the licensing fees (another source of income for Warner Brothers).   CBS reportedly will be paying approximately 5.5 million for salaries, and 4 million in licensing fees.   There's the nine, or so, million it costs CBS for the show.  At ~289k per thirty second spot, at an average of 12 minutes per new show, that's around 7 million per show in ad revenue.  Hmmmmm, CBS is losing 2 million per show.  However, add in the rerun income, and CBS ends up with a  profit.  

If the original five wanted a raise, it would have ended the show, as CBS really can't afford give raises (or an increase in licensing fees,(not that WB would raise it, if they could continue the show, and cover the costs of the crew).  If ad rates fall about the same as last year, CBS is looking at around 250k per ad spot.  Again, at 12 minutes per show, that would be 6 million per new show, and with reruns, they should make a small profit. For the twelfth season, I'd say they will be right around breaking even.  

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if there are people watching the show, that's  because they get some pleasure/ fun from it. Imo it is not reason for feel sorry. Nobody has the obligation to still watching something that would not give some nice compensation. It is only different opinions about some stuff. Just because I dont like something or stop to have fun about something that mean I am right and the others are wrong or vice versa. It is only a question of different points of views about same things.

Besides how many things we still doing in our lives that were used to be better but that litle compensation we  still get , it makes it still be worth ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tensor said:

That's a false equivalency though.  TBBT is making a huge amount of money, for Warner Brothers.  But, CBS is the entity that pays most of the salaries and the licensing fees (another source of income for Warner Brothers).   CBS reportedly will be paying approximately 5.5 million for salaries, and 4 million in licensing fees.   There's the nine, or so, million it costs CBS for the show.  At ~289k per thirty second spot, at an average of 12 minutes per new show, that's around 7 million per show in ad revenue.  Hmmmmm, CBS is losing 2 million per show.  However, add in the rerun income, and CBS ends up with a  profit.  

If the original five wanted a raise, it would have ended the show, as CBS really can't afford give raises (or an increase in licensing fees,(not that WB would raise it, if they could continue the show, and cover the costs of the crew).  If ad rates fall about the same as last year, CBS is looking at around 250k per ad spot.  Again, at 12 minutes per show, that would be 6 million per new show, and with reruns, they should make a small profit. For the twelfth season, I'd say they will be right around breaking even. 

At the upfronts they were pretty confident that even after S12 there's still money lying on the table for them with TBBT somehow so these may not be the only things they factor in. They seem to be determined to milk that thing for all its worth and don't let it die a season too soon if they can help it (keeping the actors happy was apparently one thing on top of their agenda here). So I guess it'll be interesting how things develop after the next season.

Edited by April
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2017 at 1:47 AM, serena_1995 said:

So are the original 5 still getting the same pay as last year ?

Some of them could be getting something besides cash perhaps, but as has been pointed out all we know for sure is that they offered. We will never know exactly how it went.

 

On 5/24/2017 at 3:03 AM, bfm said:

I think the joke was more about not getting anything but some kind of lame stuff. If I'm not wrong they only had people say she was bad in season 10 and that was in a terrible movie. So if they really want to go this way it won't be a compelte turn to say she is a fine actor.

So if she was a fine actor and couldn't get good parts when she was younger, you think she can suddenly get them now? Please explain or remind me in what ep she ever did any decent acting. It sure wasn't Anne Frank over the bowling alley.

 

On 5/24/2017 at 11:55 AM, ATM said:

Ewwww , that is soooooo creepy 

Why is it creepy? She's invested years of her life in this character trying to play said character in this relationship. If she didn't know what was coming, I can see why it would have made her feel uneasy. It's watching everything she's worked for pushed off kilter without knowing what's going to happen next. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

So if she was a fine actor and couldn't get good parts when she was younger, you think she can suddenly get them now? Please explain or remind me in what ep she ever did any decent acting. It sure wasn't Anne Frank over the bowling alley.

 

Penny was in A Streetcar Named Desire and did well in that. She played the part of the daughter in the haemorrhoid commercial quite naturally. We didn't see the scene that was cut in the TV drama with the initials, but if she wasn't any good she wouldn't have got the part when she was up for it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

So if she was a fine actor and couldn't get good parts when she was younger, you think she can suddenly get them now? Please explain or remind me in what ep she ever did any decent acting. It sure wasn't Anne Frank over the bowling alley.

 

Well @joyceraye already did that for me (thanks!). I'll just add that like Leonard said even if you are good the chances to get good parts are slim. So she would still have small chances to get good parts but that doesn't necessarily mean she is terrible. 

Edited by bfm
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Why is it creepy? She's invested years of her life in this character trying to play said character in this relationship. If she didn't know what was coming, I can see why it would have made her feel uneasy. It's watching everything she's worked for pushed off kilter without knowing what's going to happen next. 

Why would she not know what was coming?? All the actors get the script the night before the table read at which they, you know, read the full script while sitting around a big table.

Not that it makes any difference cause of course, as you already pointed out, she has invested years of her life in playing this character. Amy and her relationship with Sheldon are dear to her heart and what happens to the characters also affects them as actors. I remember an interview with her and Jim during the breakup and they talked about how that was a tough situation for them. It's just part of their working relationship.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.