The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

I agree with this statement.

In the next few episodes, we may get a few scenes of them interacting in the kitchen, bathroom, living room at Penny's place, but we may not get to see Shamy living together in every episode.  Instead, they may make references to things, various outcomes, observances, etc. through comments/discussions that remind us the experiment is still in force.   

I think it is more important to see the bigger picture of not only how the temporary arrangement will effect Sheldon and Amy's relationship, but also how it creates changes in Shelnard and Lenny.  

I don't feel this story line was pulled out of thin air.   It seems the writers know which direction they want to head, and it is a natural one for 30-something scientists who are ready to settle down and do something more with their lives than read comic books, play games, and eat Asian food all the time.   Life and age change people.   People change people.   Even Sheldon has aspirations of having a bride and a counting little fingers and toes; something that he would have sworn to his robotic crypt would never have happened until Amy turned his tin heart into a working muscle, needing to be loved.

All that being said, we are observing the lives of people who live outside of conventional society, who have come to love and accept one another in a world where many perceive them as outsiders because of their intellectual capacity, quirks, and interests.   What we may think should be the right course for an individual and/or a couple is based on our own experiences where specific actions have been defined as "normal" behavior.

To me this 5-week experiment is well within Sheldon and Amy's character, particularly Sheldon.   I would go so far as to venture that Sheldon is maybe "testing" Amy to see if she can indeed put up with him.   She is seeing sides of him no one ever has, and maybe he doesn't even know he possesses them.   We will have to see how it plays out, and I may have to eat my words later, but is it possible Amy wanted to quit because she thought Sheldon would, and she wanted Sheldon to talk her into continuing the experiment to see how serious he is about it?

Five weeks gives them an entire month+ to form a basis of knowing what it will be like living together in various moods, situations, etc.

I think it would be logical for them to have a short break where they go back to their former LAs in order to form a basis of comparison between being with vs. being without the other under the same roof day and night.   It is my hope that Amy will miss being in close proximity to Sheldon despite his eccentricities and Sheldon will learn that independence from Lenny and drawing closer to Amy is more rewarding than he ever imagined it could be.   Most of all, I hope Sheldon will get motivated to finally pop the big question once he is sure Amy won't jump the shark again, and Amy will respond with an emphatic "Yes!"

Whether they should be engaging in coitus during this arrangement seems to be the question of the "moment", but what I love about this couple is the intimate bond they share without the need for coitus to be present.    They are friends before anything and love each other in spite of not loving everything about each other.   This is what is going to make them successful, not whether they do or do not have sex in the time frame or frequency others think they should.   

I believe Sheldon meant what he said when he suggested waiting a year, not because he didn't enjoy it enough to do it more, but because that night was indeed a "gift" to Amy to show her how much she means to him after their reconciliation and all.   He guaranteed a repeat, and at that time, that was all they, especially Amy needed.    When coitus does occur again, I hope it will be the result of a natural progression from their growing bond and comfortableness with one another, rather than a preset arrangement on her next birthday.   It is clear by the pillow wall, and his comment about Amy's back side :heat: (hee hee , it tickles me that he is a butt man)  that she has an effect on him.   It would be nice to see him doing it because he wants it in an unplanned moment of desire and not just because he's made arrangements to rock Amy's world again.   Perhaps this is part of the experiment, to see if he/they can get to that point without the expectation to do so.   Otherwise, why agree they share a bed?    The Sheldon we are used to would suggest he take the bed and Amy take the couch or the floor.

I'm on cloud nine to think that they likely will be sharing a room away at the upcoming Flag convention, and maybe we can expect big things to happen then while in their element doing something they both enjoy together!

I missed seeing your posts, thank you!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Shamyyes said:

I'm wondering if the experiment is put there as a way of beginning to tie the story lines up if indeed season 10 is the end.  

Agreed. This was my first thought. Yes, I think it sets them up for a graceful exit if the need arises because someone has had enough.  They can run the experiment then park it, then come back to it again if they want rather than just metaphorically leaving their lead couples dying on the floor then band-aiding it with a 28 second denouement (apologies to those who didn't watch Castle). And, for goodness sake, if Sheldon does want to bang Amy then they do need to show that he is in some way willing. Still, this foreshadows a lifetime of Sheldon wrangling for Amy. Hmmm. Lucky girl.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

I agree with this statement.

In the next few episodes, we may get a few scenes of them interacting in the kitchen, bathroom, living room at Penny's place, but we may not get to see Shamy living together in every episode.  Instead, they may make references to things, various outcomes, observances, etc. through comments/discussions that remind us the experiment is still in force.   

I think it is more important to see the bigger picture of not only how the temporary arrangement will effect Sheldon and Amy's relationship, but also how it creates changes in Shelnard and Lenny.  

I don't feel this story line was pulled out of thin air.   It seems the writers know which direction they want to head, and it is a natural one for 30-something scientists who are ready to settle down and do something more with their lives than read comic books, play games, and eat Asian food all the time.   Life and age change people.   People change people.   Even Sheldon has aspirations of having a bride and a counting little fingers and toes; something that he would have sworn to his robotic crypt would never have happened until Amy turned his tin heart into a working muscle, needing to be loved.

All that being said, we are observing the lives of people who live outside of conventional society, who have come to love and accept one another in a world where many perceive them as outsiders because of their intellectual capacity, quirks, and interests.   What we may think should be the right course for an individual and/or a couple is based on our own experiences where specific actions have been defined as "normal" behavior.

To me this 5-week experiment is well within Sheldon and Amy's character, particularly Sheldon.   I would go so far as to venture that Sheldon is maybe "testing" Amy to see if she can indeed put up with him.   She is seeing sides of him no one ever has, and maybe he doesn't even know he possesses them.   We will have to see how it plays out, and I may have to eat my words later, but is it possible Amy wanted to quit because she thought Sheldon would, and she wanted Sheldon to talk her into continuing the experiment to see how serious he is about it?

Five weeks gives them an entire month+ to form a basis of knowing what it will be like living together in various moods, situations, etc.

I think it would be logical for them to have a short break where they go back to their former LAs in order to form a basis of comparison between being with vs. being without the other under the same roof day and night.   It is my hope that Amy will miss being in close proximity to Sheldon despite his eccentricities and Sheldon will learn that independence from Lenny and drawing closer to Amy is more rewarding than he ever imagined it could be.   Most of all, I hope Sheldon will get motivated to finally pop the big question once he is sure Amy won't jump the shark again, and Amy will respond with an emphatic "Yes!"

Whether they should be engaging in coitus during this arrangement seems to be the question of the "moment", but what I love about this couple is the intimate bond they share without the need for coitus to be present.    They are friends before anything and love each other in spite of not loving everything about each other.   This is what is going to make them successful, not whether they do or do not have sex in the time frame or frequency others think they should.   

I believe Sheldon meant what he said when he suggested waiting a year, not because he didn't enjoy it enough to do it more, but because that night was indeed a "gift" to Amy to show her how much she means to him after their reconciliation and all.   He guaranteed a repeat, and at that time, that was all they, especially Amy needed.    When coitus does occur again, I hope it will be the result of a natural progression from their growing bond and comfortableness with one another, rather than a preset arrangement on her next birthday.   It is clear by the pillow wall, and his comment about Amy's back side :heat: (hee hee , it tickles me that he is a butt man)  that she has an effect on him.   It would be nice to see him doing it because he wants it in an unplanned moment of desire and not just because he's made arrangements to rock Amy's world again.   Perhaps this is part of the experiment, to see if he/they can get to that point without the expectation to do so.   Otherwise, why agree they share a bed?    The Sheldon we are used to would suggest he take the bed and Amy take the couch or the floor.

I'm on cloud nine to think that they likely will be sharing a room away at the upcoming Flag convention, and maybe we can expect big things to happen then while in their element doing something they both enjoy together!

This post got100 likes if I could do it. :)

You nail it so well!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FileXxX said:

They've said numerous times that it doesn't matter what names are on the script. They're all working on it and just rotating through the names.

Exactly...for example...

From MacLeans (2009)... MacLeans is a Canadian weekly affairs magazine...

"As I said in an earlier post, Lorre uses his writing staffs differently from most other TV producers. Normally the staff beats out the story and then sends the assigned writer off to do a script, which is then rewritten by the whole staff. Lorre has cut out that middle stage, which is why his shows have three or four credited writers for every episode: the episodes are all room-written, and they then rotate the credits (union rules usually don’t allow an entire writing staff to be credited for writing an episode, except in very special cases). Whether this is a good or bad method is something I can’t judge without actually having been in the room. It arguably isn’t that big a change in practice, since most comedy shows are so heavily room-written that it’s almost useless to look for the individual personality of a particular writer in the script, no matter whose name actually comes after “written by.”

http://www.macleans.ca/authors/jaime-weinman/better-know-a-writing-staff-the-big-bang-theory/

• Like 8

2 hours ago, notchinc said:

So, that's Kunal and who else?

Maybe Kevin (Stuart)...........

Kunal and Simon, I think.

10 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

They can run the experiment then park it, then come back to it again if they want rather than just metaphorically leaving their lead couples dying on the floor then band-aiding it with a 28 second denouement (apologies to those who didn't watch Castle). 

HA! Man, I remember the Viewing Party episode where the gang sniggered at a cosplaying Stuart. I don't know whether it was here or somewhere else that we wistfully discussed another Game of Thrones homage, but this time to the Red Wedding, where the gang would lie twitching on the floor with knives through their guts, and a dead-eyed Stuart saying 'Stuart sends his regards.'

• Like 7

16 hours ago, djsurrey said:

...or one could just take their word on how the scripts are written.

I wouldn't take TPTB's word that water is wet to be honest

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

HA! Man, I remember the Viewing Party episode where the gang sniggered at a cosplaying Stuart. I don't know whether it was here or somewhere else that we wistfully discussed another Game of Thrones homage, but this time to the Red Wedding, where the gang would lie twitching on the floor with knives through their guts, and a dead-eyed Stuart saying 'Stuart sends his regards.'

Yes...   Note Castle and Beckett (Casket) were literally gutshot and bleeding out. I was suggesting that this "experiment" is a bit of prophylaxis, or perhaps inoculation, against a red wedding-ish fan experience in case they do wrap  precipitously at 10.24.

Then again, imagine they run the test, renege and revert and then deliver three more seasons like s9. I'd think the carnage might be more like "The battle of the bastards". Mountains of bodies. (In total and metaphorically, because they'd be in living rooms all over the globe)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JE7 said:

I wouldn't take TPTB's word that water is wet to be honest

Yes well on something like this I think they are telling the truth. They have talked about it on writers panels and it all sounded credible to me. I think I'd be less confident regarding on upcoming story lines and especially when they are being quoted by someone writing clickbait.

7 hours ago, Lionne said:

Thank you for your compliment, Skull. It's very sweet. I should stop and note that I have noticed a greater degree of thoughtfulness, nuance and maturity to your own posts this year, and I've been impressed by your personal growth. I know we don't always see eye-to-eye, and techniquilly there's nothing on the forum that amuses me more than your creative spelling, but you're a good egg. I mean that sincerely, not condescendingly, by the way. Sorry if it comes off badly in text.

For the record, I don't think that the change in the living arrangements is filler. I think it's the most exciting and overdue development that the show has tried in a long time. The writers and producers of this show keep an eye on longevity, annnnnnd, I hate to say it but the huge amount of money they are making off syndication. And the more episodes you can put into syndication the more money you're going to make. Writing for syndication is also different, as there's no guarantee that episodes will be shown chronologically and so it makes sense that they want the show to sort of look and be structured the same episode after episode, and for all issues to be easily wrapped up in one episode. I do think that's partly what's behind the "we don't want to change the DNA of the show" mindset, and why there's been reluctance to change things up significantly.

Shaking up the living arrangements is refreshing, especially the way they are going about it, with Sheldon actually desiring something and showing self-awareness, and Amy not being the one constantly pushing things forward. It's so different than usual it's actually shocking to me, and a part of me thinks I shouldn't quibble with it or look a gift horse in the mouth, but another part of me isn't going to be so easy to please. They've built up a lot of nonsensical schlock, especially in the second half of Season 9, and that's a lot of fit under the rug without a lot 'o lumps.

Anyway, I feel that the Sheldon and Amy side of this living arrangement swap is interesting and has some teeth to it, but Leonard and Penny's reaction is a little....on the light and frothy side. My hope is that if this does span several episodes and moves into the November sweeps that Leonard and Penny's side in this oncoming change is expanded and given more depth. I think that if the issue of....who gets to have 4A, for instance, would really be a lot of fun, and give Lenny more motivation and more at stake in the plot than just spending the time dancing in their underwear and being snarky.

ETA: Sorry but I have to cut off here. Trying to type around a 22 pound viking cat determined to have my lap is not working out. ;)

ETA: Should also note here that I'm very happy to see Lenny get a great and sweet wedding, complete with family. Lenny fans held on through a lot, even the first wedding, and after 10 years they deserve this pay off. So congrats on that. 

Perhaps you should try and sing soft kitty to your cat and see whats happening.. :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1

From Glamour: http://www.glamour.com/story/the-big-bang-theory-season-10-changes

Interview with Steve Molaro.....

How the Women of The Big Bang Theory Will Change in Season 10

The 10th season of The Big Bang Theory got off to a different kind of start this year. When the cast and crew reunited for the start of production last month, they didn't tape the season premiere for their first episode back. "Because of scheduling issues with the many insanely wonderful actors in the premiere [episode], we ended up shooting the premiere in the third week of production," reveals executive producer Steve Molaro. Those insanely wonderful actors include Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf as Leonard and Sheldon's mothers, respectively, Judd Hirsch as Leonard's dad, and new arrivals Katey Sagal and Jack McBrayer as Penny's never-before-seen mother and brother.

The season 10 premiere (which airs Monday, September 19) picks up the day after the season finale, when "Leonard's father and Sheldon's mother left together [from Penny and Leonard's rehearsal dinner] to go back to the hotel," reveals Molaro, who remains mum on whether the two actually hooked up. However, such a possibility remains firmly planted in Sheldon's mind, especially when he "can't sleep because he's [thinking if they did], does this mean he and Leonard will be brothers now?"

Whatever happens, the Mary and Alfred Show will not be front and center for long. There are plenty of other storylines that will unfold in season 10, particularly the arrival of Bernadette and Howard's baby, Amy's surging relationship with Sheldon, and Penny's struggle to find meaning in her career. So, what's to come for the show's leading ladies? And will this December mark another monumental moment for Shamy? Get ready!.....(more)

• Like 9

From EW: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/big-bang-theory-season-10-spoilers

(Nothing really new, but here's another Molaro interview)

The Big Bang Theory boss teases changes ahead in season 10

Who’s going to steal Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Leonard’s (Johnny Galecki) thunder when The Big Bang Theory returns?

Ahead of the duo’s vow redo, Leonard’s dad (Judd Hirsch) may have slept with Sheldon’s (Jim Parsons) mom (Laurie Metcalf), throwing a wrench into the festivities. But Leonard’s not the only one with family tension, as Penny’s mother (Katey Sagal) and drug-addict brother (Jack McBrayer) arrive for the big day with their own set of issues.

Moving forward, the geeky gang is in for some big changes: Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) and Howard (Simon Helberg) prepare to welcome a baby. “We’ve known for years that she didn’t plan on having children, and the reality of all this is starting to sink in,” executive producer Steven Molaro says. The boys also face the terrifying timing of the Air Force, specifically Captain Williams (Dean Norris), inquiring about their guidance-system project. And Amy (Mayim Bialik) plans a new experiment when it comes to the living situation. “A good way to trick Sheldon [Jim Parsons] into doing things is by framing it in terms of science,” Molaro says. Here’s our full chat with Molaro about season 10:....(more)

• Like 8

In the Shamy thread a new theory about the meaning of the hug between Lenny and Sheldon at the end of the redo ceremony came up...in the light of Sheldon acknowledging that living with Lenny is weird (as seen in the sneak peak #2).
The hug could be some sort of saying goodbye to Lenny, as changes are on their way and a new stage in the life of this three will be entered (episode 10x04), but he loves Lenny no matter what.

Not my theory, I read this in the Shamy thread. What do you think?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, luminous said:

In the Shamy thread a new theory about the meaning of the hug between Lenny and Sheldon at the end of the redo ceremony came up...in the light of Sheldon acknowledging that living with Lenny is weird (as seen in the sneak peak #2).
The hug could be some sort of saying goodbye to Lenny, as changes are on their way and a new stage in the life of this three will be entered (episode 10x04), but he loves Lenny no matter what.

Nice theory. The pessimist in me sees this new "experiment" as a chance for the writers to come up with a lame ass excuse for why Lenny and Sheldon just cannot live without one another. I'm fully in my "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. 

• Like 2

I don't think the writer's meanings in a scene go that deep, I think it just means something very simple.  It just means all three of them are still together, Leonard and Penny are still either stuck with or are voluntarily with Sheldon for a while yet, at least through episode 4.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, luminous said:

I don't think there is some meaning with the hug. To be honest I think it is just a hug and nothing more.

• Like 1

I think it's just jumping to conclusions with no real evidence.Tptb will never let go of the 3 is a company. The hug has nothing to do with the LA or Sheldon moving on or the writers would have hinted. Reading the TR, Sheldon did not prepare a speech or was going to make one, it was spontaneous so where is this coming from. I think Sheldon got emotional and it was intentional done by tptb to reaffirm to the audience their bond is strong and not willing to split them for good. No hidden agenda. I would love it to be a permanent seperation as shown in E4 but I'm afraid those three would be together till the end. Like it or not. Just like No regret. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think it's just jumping to conclusions with no real evidence.Tptb will never let go of the 3 is a company. The hug has nothing to do with the LA or Sheldon moving on or the writers would have hinted. Reading the TR, Sheldon did not prepare a speech or was going to make one, it was spontaneous so where is this coming from. I think Sheldon got emotional and it was intentional done by tptb to reaffirm to the audience their bond is strong and not willing to split them for good. No hidden agenda. I would love it to be a permanent seperation as shown in E4 but I'm afraid those three would be together till the end. Like it or not. Just like No regret. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit. What I mean till the end is even if Shamy got married. Sheldon will never let go of Lenny unless they move to another part of the country and it will probably happen on the last ever episode.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

I would love it to be a permanent seperation as shown in E4 but I'm afraid those three would be together till the end. Like it or not. Just like No regret. I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, I think the experiment won't result in a permanent change of the living arrangements. Of course I would love it too, if the result would be permanent, but I'm very skeptical. The writers are aware of the ridiculousness of the living arrangements, heck they even let Sheldon acknowledge it by saying (in the light of the Mary/Alfred thing) "cause a grown man living with his brother and his brother's wife is weird".

I think the probability that the living arrangements return to the status before the experiment (after the experiment is finished) is way bigger than a permanent separation of the places in which Lenny and Shamy live in.

Edited by luminous
  • Like 4

Yes, I think the experiment won't result in a permanent change of the living arrangements. Of course I would love it, if the result would be permanent, but I'm very skeptical. The writers are aware of the ridiculousness of the living arrangements, heck they even let Sheldon acknowledge it by saying (in the light of the Mary/Alfred thing) "cause a grown man living with his brother and his brother's wife is weird".

I think the probability that the living arrangements return to the status before the experiment (after the experiment is finished) is way bigger than a permanent separation.

It's just annoying how tptb is dealing with the LA. I mean one minutes they can't stand him because Sheldon is annoying Lenny and they hi five each other not to hang out with him and dance around when he moves to 4b, there many more instances But they are unwilling to move out until Sheldon I mean tptb say so. My question here is why the hell does tptb keep feeding us this bs that Lenny can't live by themselves. They love him but sometimes that is not enough to put up with his bad behaviours and constant put down. Now they are getting Sheldon to acknowledge what Lenny already know and should have moved out in S9. You can just see it coming, Sheldon telling Lenny to move out and all of a sudden Lenny are living together with no troubles or missing Sheldon because all along Lenny can live without Sheldon but tptb wouldn't let them. Yes when you live with someone for a very long time it hard to let go but after a couple of days you get used to it and move on with your life. The show has became ridiculous and I want just like everyone else for the LA to be resolved permanently instead of this lame excuse for a temporary change in the LA which is so out of character of Sheldon. We probably now wouldn't get any Lenny for the next 3 episodes if they go ahead and continue this experiment. You got a married couple who we would love to see live as a married couple because its way overdue but im sure we wouldnt be seeing lenny living together or in bed together but instead we have to put up with some shitty experiment that doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

Are we talking about breaking them up in terms of living arrangements or breaking them up altogether? They are two different premises entirely. The former is totally realistic and plausible as Lenny continue to explore married life and Sheldon strengthens his relationship with Amy. The latter would kill the show imo.

I want Sheldon and Amy to live in one place, Leonard and Penny to live in another but that shouldn't at all mean an end to their friendships. It would make no sense.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 7

No one is saying that they should break up their friendship don't know were you got that from. Moving away from Sheldon will strengthen Shamy as he would be less dependent on Lenny and work on his relationship with Amy. But we all know tptb will never go there.

• Like 2