In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

6 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Thanks.  In Oz I think we are close to the US conventions in TV & film jargon. They have painters and props, as well other crafts. Painters do the flats (the walls etc), set dressing is about something else and designers do the planning.

So the visual design of the set hasn't changed, except for the bric-a-brac .And I'd have to ask if Penmy's bouncy cheery vibrant exuberant colour scheme really speaks about Shamy. From scratch they would have their own design and own colour scheme.

More expert commentary can correct me and would be welcome. :) 

The bedroom in my opinion now follows Shamy's colour scheme pretty well, as a matter of fact it is the room where the changes were more evident. Replacing  Penny's bric-a-brac with Shamy's one has done the trick, for me. The bedding is now Amy's old one, the lamps are Sheldon's and Amy's old lamps, the drapes are from Sheldon's old room, the stamps come from their old apartments, all of it has pretty much changed the look of the room. The headboard (which was Penny's) is moss green, which you might say it's also a Shamy colour (once you take the balloon lamps down) and the walls are light blue, but without all the colorful paintings that were in the room before you don't perceive it as a too bright colour for  Shamy. There's still that electric blue dresser, which is definitely not a Shamy thing, but in general is out of frame.

In the living room, instead,  the couch and the chair scream "Penny" and the decorators didn't even thought about replacing the cushions. More importantly, Sheldon and Amy are different from Leonard and Penny in many things, one of them being their body shape. That couch is ridiculously small for Sheldon and when the two of them sat at the same time there they seem to be pretty uncomfortable. I think I express a pretty shared opinion in the Shamy camp when I say that couch should go...

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

The bedroom in my opinion now follows Shamy's colour scheme pretty well, as a matter of fact it is the room where the changes were more evident. Replacing  Penny's bric-a-brac with Shamy's one has done the trick, for me. The bedding is now Amy's old one, the lamps are Sheldon's and Amy's old lamps, the drapes are from Sheldon's old room, the stamps come from their old apartments, all of it has pretty much changed the look of the room. The headboard (which was Penny's) is moss green, which you might say it's also a Shamy colour (once you take the balloon lamps down) and the walls are light blue, but without all the colorful paintings that were in the room before you don't perceive it as a too bright colour for  Shamy. There's still that electric blue dresser, which is definitely not a Shamy thing, but in general is out of frame.

In the living room, instead,  the couch and the chair scream "Penny" and the decorators didn't even thought about replacing the cushions. More importantly, Sheldon and Amy are different from Leonard and Penny in many things, one of them being their body shape. That couch is ridiculously small for Sheldon and when the two of them sat at the same time there they seem to be pretty uncomfortable. I think I express a pretty shared opinion in the Shamy camp when I say that couch should go...

Yup. If they had really struck out on their own they wouldn't be living in a retread. It'd be original. See if it lasts, I guess. Bernie got to redo Howard's place. But naught to be done to the main sets. Maybe it's a budget thing. Times are tough.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
/s
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Yeah, I don't have any problem with the bedroom either. It certainly helps that the walls themselves are painted in a pretty neutral colour and, as you said, the most egregiously bright piece of furniture is out of sight most of the time anyway. The living room is the bigger offender here and I dearly hope that now that the LA changes are final and they know they'll go on for 2 more years we'll get a "Shamy go furniture shopping" episode or whatever and replace most of Penny's old stuff.

And as for 4A I'd also love some changes where they clean up some of the clutter - especially in front of the window. Doesn't have to end up with the dining table there but that corner is just bugging me on principle cause it's just one big pile of old junk that nobody touches anyway. ugh

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, April said:

Yeah, I don't have any problem with the bedroom either. It certainly helps that the walls themselves are painted in a pretty neutral colour and, as you said, the most egregiously bright piece of furniture is out of sight most of the time anyway. The living room is the bigger offender here and I dearly hope that now that the LA changes are final and they know they'll go on for 2 more years we'll get a "Shamy go furniture shopping" episode or whatever and replace most of Penny's old stuff.

And as for 4A I'd also love some changes where they clean up some of the clutter - especially in front of the window. Doesn't have to end up with the dining table there but that corner is just bugging me on principle cause it's just one big pile of old junk that nobody touches anyway. ugh

Yeah, it's sad Sheldon’s changed too much. Oh, the good ol’ times when he was able to reflex "the swirling vortex of entropy". :shy:

s_0124.gif.35e00cd1b345a508d68b50157112bbbd.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, veejay said:

Yeah, it's sad Sheldon’s changed too much. Oh, the good ol’ times when he was able to reflex "the swirling vortex of entropy". :shy:

That place has always been a pile of junk though - even under old Sheldon's eyes. lol

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, April said:

That place has always been a pile of junk though - even under old Sheldon's eyes. lol

Always is a too strong word, but "I don't need to explain myself to you". :icon_biggrin:

misc_00284.gif.8368b232f0869e9eac0ea3377bbf26c8.gif

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Totally agree that this would be a great storyline for them.  What you say brings to mind the "Locomotion Reverbation" episode where Penny states to the girls that she wants something more out of her marriage........like maybe a baby or a house. They kind of hinted that she was a little envious of Bernadette in this regard.

That highlights that none of these not-particularly-young professionals except H&B own their own home. Is that plausible IRL? Is it because renting is cheap and flexible? Or is the house-price situation in LA as disastrous as it is in London, so that the only way even professional-class people (outside the financial sector) can get to own a house is to inherit it, like H did?

There might be some comic possiblities in sequels where L&P and S&A move to cheaper and more culturally conservative parts of the country.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luminous said:

I always liked...no loved them as a couple. Lenny is the first TV couple I ever shipped and it will be most probably, if not certainly the last TV couple I will ever ship.

Oh, that explains a lot. I am in my 60's and have liked and disliked many on screen couples. Some worked out well, and some not so much. But I would not make that the reason to watch or not watch a show anymore. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, luminous said:

Apart from being a shipper, I'm also a fan of the show as a whole. I watch the show since 2011 and I bought all DVD's that were available at that time because I immediately liked the show, when I discovered it on TV. I became a shipper only in 2015. I will watch TBBT till the last episode no matter how TPTB will treat my ship.

Oh, that's me, with a small difference: I drive my car better than shipping something.

misc_00292.gif.bc7d0eda8c1228247ac17df28fcc0cf9.gif
But am I a creature of habit? I guess.  :shy:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, luminous said:

I always liked...no loved them as a couple. Lenny is the first TV couple I ever shipped and it will be most probably, if not certainly the last TV couple I will ever ship.

Me too. I used to love Friends but I never gave a damn about R&R as a couple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Me too. I used to love Friends but I never gave a damn about R&R as a couple.

I didn't see enough of Friends or Cheers to work out who was whose but I watched Frasier. I wanted Niles somehow to win his Daphne and he did. I wanted Leonard to get his Penny so I wish he'd seem happier about having got her.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2017 at 2:00 PM, Die Zimtzicke said:

Oh, that explains a lot. I am in my 60's and have liked and disliked many on screen couples. Some worked out well, and some not so much. But I would not make that the reason to watch or not watch a show anymore. 

How does that explain a lot?  I'm in my 60s, and Lenny is the only couple I've ever shipped (well, Andy and Haley a little bit).  You may not make that a reason, but it's a very plausible reason for me.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 5:00 PM, Tensor said:

How does that explain a lot?  I'm in my 60s, and Lenny is the only couple I've ever shipped (well, Andy and Haley a little bit).  You may not make that a reason, but it's a very plausible reason for me.  

I meant no offense to you. But I do suspect that by our age most people have had more experience with shipping fictional couples. I used to get into it a lot more than I do now. But once I had clients to appease, bills to pay, trains to catch and grandkids to baby sit, I found myself getting into it with less fervor. I find those most passionate about it are often younger than myself. I do not say that's the rule or the norm, it's just how I find myself personally.

On 15/06/2017 at 4:30 AM, JE7 said:

Everyone is more interesting than Sheldon and Amy

In your opinion.

On 22/06/2017 at 1:48 AM, joyceraye said:

I wanted Niles somehow to win his Daphne and he did.

I wanted Frasier and Roz to finish up as a couple, but that didn't happen. :( 

• Like 1

I would like to add from my personal experience that older I am , more enthusiastic I tend to be as I ship a fictional couple. Why? Because when we ship a fictional  couple when we were teens ( when I started my shipper career, lol) we tend to see only the romantic stuff. Later as we got to be an adult , sexual stuff  has a good role in shipping. At last when we have lived through a  good and bad amount of stuff about relationships as we became more mature persons, a whole new world of possibilities, scenarios and feelings make now a more complete package of the reasons that make a shipper be into a certain type of ship. Besides there is no an enthusiastic standard for a fan. Some people show more emthusiasm than others in general for the things that please them, it is a question of personality, not a matter of more true as shipper because shows more enthusiasm though.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, spidergirl said:

I would like to add from my personal experience that older I am , more enthusiastic I tend to be as I ship a fictional couple. Why? Because when we ship a fictional  couple when we were teens ( when I started my shipper career, lol) we tend to see only the romantic stuff. Later as we got to be an adult , sexual stuff  has a good role in shipping. At last when we have lived through a  good and bad amount of stuff about relationships as we became more mature persons, a whole new world of possibilities, scenarios and feelings make now a more complete package of the reasons that make a shipper be into a certain type of ship. Besides there is no an enthusiastic standard for a fan. Some people show more emthusiasm than others in general for the things that please them, it is a question of personality, not a matter of more true as shipper because shows more enthusiasm though.

There's a lot of sense in what you say. Good post! Yes, the romance tends to fade into the background slightly as sexual stuff gains a bigger role, and everyone has their own triggers to make a complete package. And I agree with personality being a factor, but I personally think it's also a factor if you've been disappointed many times in the past by bad writing of your ships, and having been down that road, you're more aware when you see that coming. Bad ship writing is what I'm afraid of  now.

Edited to add...I am not saying older people can't be first time shippers. Of course they can. I  am saying however that most of us older viewers have had more opportunity to ship. I started doing it in 8th grade while watching Dark Shadows.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 1

I've been watching sitcoms for a very long time, but I never knew the expression to ship until I came across this forum. Not very long ago a young relative studying Wuthering Heights told me that she really shipped Cathcliff and I knew what she meant, so that's good.

I've never shipped another sitcom couple before and generally I'm an anti-shipper. But the way Penny fell in love with Leonard won me over. KC made me a shipper against my will.

• Like 9