Tensor

Ship Zone
[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 10

11,052 posts in this topic

Posted

1 hour ago, April said:

What bugs me about the argument about physical attraction is really how it narrows the wide spectrum of human sexuality down to certain specific parameters that are deemed acceptable by the general public. Especially with an unusual couple like Shamy it puts a lot of extra pressure on proving they are actually into each other -  it has to happen in the right way or it doesn't count! So Sheldon being clearly aroused when Amy steps out of the bathroom in a sexy outfit isn't deemed acceptable proof because the masses of the public decided only dessous on a woman are the right garment in that situation, no geeky stuff allowed unless it's Leia's slave bikini or something. Not to mention the idea that a man could be attracted to more than just t&a like -gasp!- a woman's personality or her intelligence is apparently unheard of and a sure sign something must be wrong with him! /s

That isn't to say that I don't have any sympathy towards the desire to finally get that fool proof publicly accepted evidence to finally put this argument to rest - I'd have this happen sooner rather than later myself.  But I'm also not super interested in catering to some random Joe Public just because he didn't get the memo. I can appreciate how delicately the writers are handling this for the most part so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. We'll see what the future holds for Shamy...

However, the main problem for me is not that Sheldon had never been portrayed as aroused by typical "sexy stuff" like lingerie and such, but that he had never been portrayed as aroused at all with regards to the whole coitus with Amy scenario.

In my opinion, the closest he had ever been to been portrayed as hot and bothered and confused by his own feelings and reactions was precisely during their "Playing doctor Star Trek style" scene, and that's it, and that's why I'm not fond at all at any scene (no matter how funny it could be) that gives the impression that Amy is sex-starved.

I also couldn't care less about Shamy being portrayed as "normal" regarding to sex to cater to the, as you call it, random Joe public needs. I would be the happiest camper if some day we have the most un-sexy scene with a fully clothed Amy giving so irresistible science talk that Sheldon feel the need  to jump her bones, like in the Brain Bowl episode, but this time not because he wants to make a baby, but because he feels so overcome by love and desire for her and her alone, and that's it, no typical sexy stuff required, thanks.

While I agree that the writers had tried to keep them different and quirky, the problem, as I see it, is that they keep boycotting themselves with their obsession with mentioning the once-a-year thing and always under a negative light, each time a character talks about it is to make a dig at it. And yet, they keep it going when there's absolutely no need to! I mean, again: they live together, they share a bed, Sheldon seems to show no more hesitation, Amy is constantly portrayed as wanting it, so, what's the problem?, why don't they just do it, no matter the date?, it doesn't make sense at all!

In the other hand, if they really, really want  to make it clear that Shamy is special and don't need sex more than once a year, then, please, no more ambiguity and negative connotations to their unusual sex life would be much appreciated.

So, yes, I would like to be able to agree with you but sorry, for me, one of those that became invested in Shamy precisely for their weirdness and uniqueness and that had never wanted or needed a "normal" portrayal of Shamy regarding love or sex, the messages that Sheldon had ever wanted to have sex with Amy other than because he knows she wants it and that they both are fine with doing it only once a year are not clear at all.

Honestly, I would have preferred that, instead of rushing with the birthday-sex thing just after the break up, they had took the route of them going really, really slow with the exploration of their intimacy with theim both committed to reach a point of mutual and unequivocal desire at some future moment (something like that what they had been doing with them getting used to live together before engagement and marriage) instead of this, literally, bad joke that is not funny and doesn't make any sense.

serenaded214, veejay and Kathy2611 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Then Scorpions's song lyrics :

"Here I am rock you like a hurricane"

And last but not least "The ligth is green"

The "light is green" part is still making me laugh.Lmao ! I think Todd is a lucky guy, .the *look* at the end is my favorite part

3.gif

 

Edited by serena_1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

 When Amy started crying,there is a voice saying "this finally happens" . It's normal to feel sad. But it seems no solution. :icon_neutral:

joyceraye likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I would agree that they have managed to recapture a lot of the 'allure of the brain' this season that they had for each other early in their relationship, but at the same time they haven't reverted completely back to that earlier stage. Their relationship continues to advance and grow on multiple levels, such a fantastic job by the writers. Season 9 was just so dominated by the breakup and by the time they got back together I think they were just happy to be together again and we of course know there was like an sudden slowdown towards the end of the season. Season 10 has been fantastic for them and I think the writers have really enjoyed writing for them, two very quirky both self proclaimed at times weirdos who have completely and utterly fallen in love lol.

You get the mental sparring and challenging quirky side of them when they discuss subjects that interest them but you also get the increasing physical contact and intimacy. 'Eye coitus' is still in effect, probably greater than even with such longing looks lol and they just seem to be really enjoying each others company right now, I mean they seem to want to be together pretty much all the time. Well they are in love, that's it basically.

I really really like the place they are in right now.

Edited by Jonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

10 hours ago, April said:

What bugs me about the argument about physical attraction is really how it narrows the wide spectrum of human sexuality down to certain specific parameters that are deemed acceptable by the general public. Especially with an unusual couple like Shamy it puts a lot of extra pressure on proving they are actually into each other

That is precisely my problem. They are not portraying an unusual couple anymore, they are portraying a usual couple with sexual iussues, Bert says "you'd be the perfect couple if not for the sex once a year" , Penny makes fun of the deal, twice this season. They have been playing this game too long in my opinion. They are not putting any pressure in amy to prove she is into sheldon, It's proved enough times from the fifth season. They are putting pressure in Sheldon and that is what bothers me, this "amy has physical attraction for Sheldon but what  Sheldon's deal is?" thing. They made a deal, If they have  the physical intimacy they both are happy with and want to stick to the deal, fine, but stop bringing it up and mocking it,and  If they don't , resolve it, but don't play around anymore. The writters are turning this in a sexual issue in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

The sex once a year is getting old  ... just sayin ...the writers need to move on and quit making it an issue

Kathy2611, xjax and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I believe (I could be wrong) that Shamy have kissed more than any of the other characters

joyceraye likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

41 minutes ago, April said:

Totally dismissing everything in S10 is exactly the kind of extra burden of proof I was talking about earlier.

Sheldon calls Amy's science talk sexy? Doesn't count!

Sheldon goads Amy into a science argument and gets so hot and bothered over it that he power walks out to make out with her spontaneously? Doesn't count!

Sheldon says Amy awakened the sexual creature within?  Doesn't count!

Sheldon flirts with Amy and says her smart talk makes him randy? Doesn't count!

Sheldon in a heightened feeling of creation suddenly decides he wants to bone Amy right then and there in the lab? Doesn't count!

Sheldon puts on his sexy time pj's and counts down the minutes to midnight for birthday sex? Doesn't count!

Sheldon definitely being bothered when suddenly the mood is gone while stating their earlier attempt felt organic and right?  Doesn't count!

Sheldon staring at Amy in awe when she comes out of the bathroom in a sexy geeky look exclaiming "Wowza!" ?? Doesn't count!

Sheldon still being eager for birthday sex after a sleepless night and a long day out? Doesn't count!

Sheldon and Amy get carried away with a simple good bye kiss?  Doesn't count!

And the list will probably go on and on for the rest of this season but the sheer length of this is already ridiculous. If we were in a PDA drought like the latter half of S9 and we had like only one or two of these scenes I could maybe understand the scepticism. But there are so many instances supporting the oh so controversial idea that Sheldon is actually attracted to his girlfriend (gasp!)  that the insistence that all of this doesn't count is getting really really weird.

I have never questioned Sheldon's attraction for Amy.  But this list is a perfect example of why the "once a year" joke DOES NOT WORK!!  With this list, them having sex once a year doesn't fit!  THAT is what I have a problem with!!  Not this stupid idea that Sheldon doesn't desire Amy because I totally think he does.  I KNOW he does!  But hey, writers, you're trying to have it both ways!  It's not working!  Shit or get the hell off the pot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

37 minutes ago, RoRo said:

I believe (I could be wrong) that Shamy have kissed more than any of the other characters

I have not been counting the other's characters kisses but shamy ones are always so meant and passionate, even the most innocent ones. 

joyceraye and serena_1995 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Sheldon calls Amy's science talk sexy? He calls leonard's star trek talk sexy in the same conversation

Sheldon goads Amy into a science argument and gets so hot and bothered over it that he power walk out out to make out with her spontaneously? And yet not enough hot and bothered to break the deal

Sheldon says Amy awakened the sexual creature within? He was refering to attraction to other women, and he mocks amy's sexuality in the same conversation

Sheldon flirts with Amy and says her smart talk makes him randy? And yet he doesn't act on it ( at lest on screen) 

Sheldon in a heightened feeling of creation suddenly decides he wants to bone Amy right then and there in the lab?'I´m still thinking that didn't have to do anything with sexual desire 

Sheldon puts on his sexy time pj's and counts down the minutes to midnight for birthday sex? Any other day yes, not that day because it's part of the deal for her birthday activities, he says it pretty clear in the stairs "it's your birthday It's not about what I want"

Sheldon definitely being bothered when suddenly the mood is gone while stating their earlier attempt felt organic and right? And he wants to soldier throug it to not dissapoint amy (and leonard and penny) it's sweet, but it implies he's being forced to fullfill a requirement 

Sheldon staring at Amy in awe when she comes out of the bathroom in a sexy geeky look exclaiming "Wowza!" ? And a minute later he forget his excitement and gets mad at amy. 

Sheldon still being eager for birthday sex after a sleepless night and a long day out? eager for sex or eager to complete the agrement? And he has to say  that  the reason for his excitement is the train and the cutting the line thing.

I'm still thinking the writters are creating the issue on purpose, making sheldon's sexual behaviour ambiguous, and open to double interpretation one scene  suggest he is attracted to amy and the next implies he is not, and they are contradicting themselves in the procces. 

If he is so into amy, so eager in her birthday and he gets so hot and randy in a regular basis  then I really don't undersand the once time a year thing. But maybe Its' me who has the issue and I'm not able to think out of the parameters of my own sexuality. 

 

sarah7, veejay, shamour and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

11 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

I have never questioned Sheldon's attraction for Amy.  But this list is a perfect example of why the "once a year" joke DOES NOT WORK!!  With this list, them having sex once a year doesn't fit!  THAT is what I have a problem with!!  Not this stupid idea that Sheldon doesn't desire Amy because I totally think he does.  I KNOW he does!  But hey, writers, you're trying to have it both ways!  It's not working!  Shit or get the hell off the pot!

Just to clarify: my post was in reply to the claim that Sheldon isn't attracted to Amy which I think is save to say we're in agreement about that this is nonsense in light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Now, to me the once a year joke is something independently from that issue and I'm not a huge fan of that either. It doesn't bother me as much as it does you but I also hope they get over this sooner rather than later. I can tolerate it to some degree cause they are portrayed as being super happy otherwise but the more the writers joke about it the more I want some sort of resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, April said:

Just to clarify: my post was in reply to the claim that Sheldon isn't attracted to Amy which I think is save to say we're in agreement about that this is nonsense in light of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Now, to me the once a year joke is something independently from that issue and I'm not a huge fan of that either. It doesn't bother me as much as it does you but I also hope they get over this sooner rather than later. I can tolerate it to some degree cause they are portrayed as being super happy otherwise but the more the writers joke about it the more I want some sort of resolution.

I was able to also but my line has now been crossed.  Your line apparently is further down the road but there IS a line.  

The problem I have in all this is that the writers love to drag shit out but sometimes, they take it just a little too far and even cross the line of ridiculousness.  

I know because of this, they've lost some Shamy fans.  I get it and understand how they feel.  I just don't want to be one of them and the longer this stupid joke goes on, the dryer my well of patience gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Totally dismissing everything in S10 is exactly the kind of extra burden of proof I was talking about earlier.

Sheldon calls Amy's science talk sexy? Doesn't count!

Sheldon goads Amy into a science argument and gets so hot and bothered over it that he power walks out to make out with her spontaneously? Doesn't count!

Sheldon says Amy awakened the sexual creature within?  Doesn't count!

Sheldon flirts with Amy and says her smart talk makes him randy? Doesn't count!

Sheldon in a heightened feeling of creation suddenly decides he wants to bone Amy right then and there in the lab? Doesn't count!

Sheldon puts on his sexy time pj's and counts down the minutes to midnight for birthday sex? Doesn't count!

Sheldon definitely being bothered when suddenly the mood is gone while stating their earlier attempt felt organic and right?  Doesn't count!

Sheldon staring at Amy in awe when she comes out of the bathroom in a sexy geeky look exclaiming "Wowza!" ?? Doesn't count!

Sheldon still being eager for birthday sex after a sleepless night and a long day out? Doesn't count!

Sheldon and Amy get carried away with a simple good bye kiss?  Doesn't count!

And the list will probably go on and on for the rest of this season but the sheer length of this is already ridiculous. If we were in a PDA drought like the latter half of S9 and we had like only one or two of these scenes I could maybe understand the scepticism. But there are so many instances supporting the oh so controversial idea that Sheldon is actually attracted to his girlfriend (gasp!)  that the insistence that all of this doesn't count is getting really really weird.

Love this ^^

As a side note - I'd like to add that being sexually attracted to someone, day dreaming about them, feeling horny - does not automatically mean you want to have sex with them ALL the time, the way I see it is the writers have them as two 30 something's, who are virgins when they meet, with no sexual experience - in my eyes this put them ( sexual experience speaking ) equal with say a 16/17 /18 year old, now thinking way back then !!!!! Was I sexually attracted to my then boyfriend - now husband ( we met when I was 15 he was 17, both virgins, I'm now 40, married to him 20 years ) yes very much so, but at that stage in your sexual experience you are enjoying getting to know each other in that way, i.e. Lots of making out etc etc but not sex to start with, and then once you are not all the time, in my experience anyway, you take your time and grow together sexually, the way I see it , that's how the writers are writing Shamy, like teenagers with their first sexual experiences . I could be wrong & maybe for you guys it was different but in my mind, it all makes sense :)

Sorry for the over share lol, but I don't know how to explain in any better !!

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April, Jonny, mirs1 and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

I wonder if Amy lifted her hands from the steering wheel as she was daydreaming of Sheldon.Because it seemed she wanted to grab something at some point , lol! Best tag scene ever! 

207bbb0e-8019-4802-812c-e11f7d336829.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

42 minutes ago, Soopysue said:

that's how the writers are writing Shamy, like teenagers with their first sexual experiences.

Ignoring, of course, Amy's 128 sexual encounters, before she met Sheldon. :icon_biggrin: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

9 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Ignoring, of course, Amy's 128 sexual encounters, before she met Sheldon. :icon_biggrin: 

Gerard need a retirement after that! ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I feel like a number of issues might be getting conflated here. Let me lay out my own position as clearly as I can, speaking for nobody else. It might help to clarify why some things bother some of us and not others.

I was never interested in the frequency with which Sheldon and Amy had penetrative intercourse. My concern was always sexual DESIRE. What I mean by that is: Do Sheldon and Amy FANCY each other? Does the other's speech/actions/proximity induce elevated heart rate, dilated pupils, and/or a desire to engage in physical contact? That contact could be kissing or all those tedious bases. It may include penetrative intercourse, or it may not. It may be predicated on the other's physicality, or it may not.

And, based on those parameters, I am mostly satisfied. Science arguments get the two worked up. Logic Moebius strips make Sheldon randy. Harry Potter cosplay makes him go 'wowza!'. Other examples that others will point out.

BUT. If one is of the opinion that only penetrative intercourse counts, then I get that these examples don't address the issue.

Also, on a separate note, I do think that the show should get rid of its obsession with the once a year thing. Not because I think it's such a big deal, or because either of the two principals in the relationship think it's such a big deal. But because THE SHOW seems to think it is a problem, and - well - physician, heal thyself. You think there's something weird about shamy not having sex more than once a year? Well they are two consenting adults who share a bed. Sheldon wanted to slip his cooper up amy's Farrah fowler in her lab. So go forth, my pretties, and make merry. Nobody cares. If it bothers you, show, you have the power to fix it. If you don't want to do anything about the situation, fantastic. But then maybe stop loudly talking about it like it's a problem. You want Sheldon and Amy to be unique? They are two brainy snobs who geek out about renaissance dancing and vexillology. They get hot and bothered about whose scientific rigour is the rigourest. Their coital frequency? Not on the list. Trust me. So long as they are shown to enjoy each other and we are shown WHY they enjoy each other, they can fuck, or not, as often as they like.

This! I could not say it better than you.

What I have most wished about shamy since they had sex for the first time was we could see they were into expressing better their feelings to each other and they have been doing it every week better since they started to live together  Sex is not only the penetrative act itself and from what we have got by hints and plotlines, they indeed have desire to each other, get randy for each other. As many things shamy have been bonding more this season, they have been to learn to express better their sexuality and imo that has been a path they might have been expressing themselves better. I believe even their thing might be the once in year and I agree with those who said by the things we see , they would at least increase the frequency through the year, that issue is going to be brougt up in a plotline soon and it migth be given a definitive sense of the thing: they would still go to once in year or include the spontaneous parameter at some point in their sexual life and decide they might feel they could be into the unplanned sexual intercourse, something that they have not done before.

It is curious how the sex frequency of shamy is brought up every week. Have people remember when was last time lenny had a intercourse scene this season? Howardette? It is not so questionable the lack of sex between characters which is supposed they have sex often, so why it would be supposed every tr came out that viewers  would see a shamy intercourse scene?

We have been seeing those two doing things that we thougt it would be impossible to see a few seasons ago. I believe there will come the day (not pun intended) that we will see a bedroom scene between these two as we got they had done it naturally. Maybe it might depend on a season 11 being signed or not for we could see that scene on screen very soon. Until there I will wait happily as I see the other great things our couple is accomplishing. 

Edited by spidergirl
April, Soopysue, wowbagger and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

35 minutes ago, anicez said:

Gerard need a retirement after that! ha!

I wasn't referring to Gerard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

6 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I feel like a number of issues might be getting conflated here. Let me lay out my own position as clearly as I can, speaking for nobody else. It might help to clarify why some things bother some of us and not others.

I was never interested in the frequency with which Sheldon and Amy had penetrative intercourse. My concern was always sexual DESIRE. What I mean by that is: Do Sheldon and Amy FANCY each other? Does the other's speech/actions/proximity induce elevated heart rate, dilated pupils, and/or a desire to engage in physical contact? That contact could be kissing or all those tedious bases. It may include penetrative intercourse, or it may not. It may be predicated on the other's physicality, or it may not.

And, based on those parameters, I am mostly satisfied. Science arguments get the two worked up. Logic Moebius strips make Sheldon randy. Harry Potter cosplay makes him go 'wowza!'. Other examples that others will point out.

BUT. If one is of the opinion that only penetrative intercourse counts, then I get that these examples don't address the issue.

Also, on a separate note, I do think that the show should get rid of its obsession with the once a year thing. Not because I think it's such a big deal, or because either of the two principals in the relationship think it's such a bug deal. But because THE SHOW seems to think it is a problem, and - well - physician, heal thyself. You think there's something weird about shamy not having sex more than once a year? Well they are two consenting adults who share a bed. Sheldon wanted to slip his cooper up amy's Farrah fowler in her lab. So go forth, my pretties, and make merry. Nobody cares. If it bothers you, show, you have the power to fix it. If you don't want to do anything about the situation, fantastic. But then maybe stop loudly talking about it like it's a problem. You want Sheldon and Amy to be unique? They are two brainy snobs who geek out about renaissance dancing and vexillology. They get hot and bothered about whose scientific rigour is the rigourest. Their coital frequency? Not on the list. Trust me. So long as they are shown to enjoy each other and we are shown WHY they enjoy each other, they can fuck, or not, ad often as they like.

My problem is not with their sexual relationship perse  I'm sorry if  is that is the impression I have given, I don't care about the frecuency,I don't care if it involves penetrative intercourse or not, and I don't care what kind of things arouse them.  My problem is the way the show is portraying it like it is an issue, it's the own show who is making a big deal of it. For example, sheldon told kripke a bunch of lies about their very active sexual life and the gossip never spread out, but he tells him they do it once a year and everybody in caltech are gossiping about it 

sarah7, serenaded214, veejay and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 minutes ago, Anita said:

My problem is not with their sexual relationship perse  I'm sorry if  is that is the impression I have given, I don't care about the frecuency,I don't care if it involves penetrative intercourse or not, and I don't care what kind of things arouse them.  My problem is the way the show is portraying it like it is an issue, it's the own show who is making a big deal of it. For example, sheldon told kripke a bunch of lies about their very active sexual life and the gossip never spread out, but he tells him they do it once a year and everybody in caltech are gossiping about it 

That's actually an accurate representation the way some people view the topic IRL. Once a year is more rare and uncommon so it's going to feed the gossip machine. This (I hope) is part of the reason for Amy's anguish, and Sheldon's stand at the end. 

I agree the show makes way too much a point about it, but to have people constantly give you grief if they don't agree with your life choices (however consensual it is) is actually one of the most realistic things the show has tackled. Everyone has an opinion about everything these days (just look at social media) 

 I am with the camp that wants the joke to die, and if the writers really see it as a problem then there's a way to fix that. If this leads to a Shamy vs. the world moment then okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Soopysue said:

Love this ^^

As a side note - I'd like to add that being sexually attracted to someone, day dreaming about them, feeling horny - does not automatically mean you want to have sex with them ALL the time, the way I see it is the writers have them as two 30 something's, who are virgins when they meet, with no sexual experience - in my eyes this put them ( sexual experience speaking ) equal with say a 16/17 /18 year old, now thinking way back then !!!!! Was I sexually attracted to my then boyfriend - now husband ( we met when I was 15 he was 17, both virgins, I'm now 40, married to him 20 years ) yes very much so, but at that stage in your sexual experience you are enjoying getting to know each other in that way, i.e. Lots of making out etc etc but not sex to start with, and then once you are not all the time, in my experience anyway, you take your time and grow together sexually, the way I see it , that's how the writers are writing Shamy, like teenagers with their first sexual experiences . I could be wrong & maybe for you guys it was different but in my mind, it all makes sense :)

Sorry for the over share lol, but I don't know how to explain in any better !!

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great explanation  that makes all sense and fits in shamy canon imo. Sometimes it is forgotten they were both no sexually experienced and as everything about people as human beings, the sexual side needs to grow to be could well  expressed  in all its dimension.

Edited by spidergirl
serenaded214, April and Soopysue like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now