Tensor

Ship Zone
[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 10

10,766 posts in this topic

Posted

12 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I'd prefer the movie theater:-

Amy, I believe I would like to alter the paradigm of our relationship, in that, I would not object to us, no longer characterizing you, as not my fiancee.

They could then go to the coffee shop to celebrate.

anicez, serenaded214, Sah and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

My fondest memory of the meeting in the coffee shop is the moment Sheldon decided to make it a date and not a brush-off : ' May I buy you a beverage ?' .

Those words will one day be remembered as well as ' Wherefore art thou Romeo ?'.

I have rewatched their first meeting so many times! But I have always the same feeling of "these two must be together" because the scene is really powerful. The look Sheldon had as he looked at Amy before he offered to pay the beverage , wow! It may have not been love at first sight but defenitely was love at first brain impression, hehe!

Btw, I have told here that I have followed tbbt only since spring of 2015, when I finaly followed my friends advice and started to watch tbbt. After  I watched the shamy first meeting episode, I spent my  evenings after work catching like crazy with the show! And then the rest is history as you know, since last summer I am here. :)

 

anicez, RJ1013, joyceraye and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

9 hours ago, serenaded214 said:


You know, one of my biggest problems with how their relationship turned out is that when they first met, he had tons of respect for her. He held her to such a high regard with the way he talked about her. He enjoyed spending time with her and playing their little games. It seemed like they were on the same wavelength.

Idk why things changed, but they did. I'm glad their on the same page now, but I still hated how their relationship "developed"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 

The bold part, so agree with you.

 I remembered when I watched 706(The Romance Resonance)for the first time, Sheldon said:"Oh great, now I'm worse than a fraud, I'm practically a biologist." And Amy said nothing, NOTHING. I mean...I was so shocked. I get that the line was a joke and all that, but I still think this plot was out of character for Amy, considering their first "break up" in 403(The Zazzy Substitution). The episode 706 seems to me like they were NOT on the same page.  Amy is one of my favourite characters, but with the plots they writes about her, sometimes, even I got frustrated with the things she say or do(or NOT say or do).

That being said, I'm so glad we got the tag of 1004(The Cohabitation Experimentation), the "not accept any crap about her profession”Amy is back, and I totally enjoyed their scene. Both of them were so passionate about the "bickering", and the sexual tension was so great. That seems to me they are absolutely on the same page. I love that episode, and I still think it's the funniest one so far in season 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

3 hours ago, spidergirl said:

The look Sheldon had as he looked at Amy before he offered to pay the beverage , wow!

Not forgetting the look Amy gave Sheldon, followed by the glance away, after Howard said "Good God, what have we done?".

Shamyfan95, joyceraye and anicez like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 hour ago, snapepans said:

The bold part, so agree with you.

 I remembered when I watched 706(The Romance Resonance)for the first time, Sheldon said:"Oh great, now I'm worse than a fraud, I'm practically a biologist." And Amy said nothing, NOTHING. I mean...I was so shocked. I get that the line was a joke and all that, but I still think this plot was out of character for Amy, considering their first "break up" in 403(The Zazzy Substitution). The episode 706 seems to me like they were NOT on the same page.  Amy is one of my favourite characters, but with the plots they writes about her, sometimes, even I got frustrated with the things she say or do(or NOT say or do).

That being said, I'm so glad we got the tag of 1004(The Cohabitation Experimentation), the "not accept any crap about her profession”Amy is back, and I totally enjoyed their scene. Both of them were so passionate about the "bickering", and the sexual tension was so great. That seems to me they are absolutely on the same page. I love that episode, and I still think it's the funniest one so far in season 10.

I think she accepted Sheldon's snidey reaction to her trying to soothe him in 706 because she didn't want to upset him further. Sheldon was too stressed about finding his massive mistake to be worth arguing with, but when there's nothing like that at stake, Amy gives as good as she gets. Later, when she said she wasn't proud of him and disdained his silly error,he found her honesty romantic and was pleased with it. She was speaking on his level then.

On the other occasions when they've bickered over the relative merits of their fields, it's been straightforward, nothing but science  involved. 

snapepans, mirs1, sdffcx and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Not forgetting the look Amy gave Sheldon, followed by the glance away, after Howard said "Good God, what have we done?".

Course I would not forgetting that look, lol! As usually you notice all Amy's quotes and reactions, I was kind of  waiting you pointed it out. :) 

Edited by spidergirl
Shamyfan95 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Amy has lots of reactions.

Notice the tiny head twitch, after she's started the music, just before she lays across Sheldon's lap, in Fish Guts.

Likewise, in Closure Alternative, the quick glance at his crotch (only her eyes move), before she says "Yeah, sounds like a drag."

Both are so discrete, you could almost miss them, yet they say so much.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
Shamyfan95 and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Re: Amy's deal

One of the things that has been brought up as proof of her heightened sexual desires is the old gag of Amy being "gay for Penny" and I think it's actually the perfect point to illustrate how perception of a running gag can go completely beyond the intend of the writers and lead to a wrong reading of the character.

From what I remember this was just meant as Amy having an adolescent girl crush on Penny cause now was the first time in life Amy was friends with the popular girl. But it wasn't intended as Amy having actual sexual urges towards her or even that Amy was seriously bi or whatever. Personally I would have loved if Amy were bi but that's not what the writers intended. It was a harmless joke that spiralled out of control and then was axed quickly the moment the audience didn't find it funny anymore. (I'm sure someone with a more accurate memory can dig out the relevant interviews from a few years back... was it Paley? Comic Con??)

Now, of course you can go on a metaphorical murdering spree in the writers room and declare the author dead but for a project like this that's made up on the fly disregarding the writers intentions completely will naturally leave you in a state of "nothing makes sense anymore!!" when you made up your mind and are not willing to course correct yourself when it's been revealed that plot points have a different meaning than the one uphold by conventional fandom wisdom. Just my two cents on the matter...

spidergirl, Jonny, 2L344 and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

22 minutes ago, April said:

(I'm sure someone with a more accurate memory can dig out the relevant interviews from a few years back... was it Paley? Comic Con??)the matter...

It was Paleyfest 2013 (compered by the wonderful Pauley Perrette), and the remark about Amy being "kind of gay for Penny" was in a question from an audience member, not a comment from any member of  the cast or writers.

 

anicez and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

19 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I think the writers started to blur the lines a bit with some of their scenes between the two as Amy got more screen time and that relationship was fleshing out. They had Amy sharing an alcohol fueled kiss with her, had Amy pursue Penny into the bedroom during the slumber party to presumably grope her, and had Amy present a ridiculously priced painting of the two that was originally painted with them being nude. Im sure there are other examples of the writers toying with the line between a girl crush on the popular girl and something more.

Yeah, they definitely pushed the boundaries with this kind of joke but stuff like the slumber party really underlined the sheer inexperience Amy had and how she misguidedly flung herself into these kinds of experiences. It was quite endearing at times, and part of what she did reminded me of my youth - not the bedroom groping stuff though! LOL

I don't think it's a far stretch to see much of what Amy did as her navigating all those new experiences and social situations, and learning the robes of suddenly having friends and even a boyfriend on top of it. Finding out who she is in this new situation brought a lot of changes and she needed some time to settle down. Obviously on the writers' side of things she was a new character and they had to figure out what to do with her. So much as with all the other characters she'd have some sudden changes or inconsistencies compared to the character she eventually would grow into.

2L344, RJ1013, mirs1 and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

Yes, the girl crush on the popular girl by the nerdy one who didn't get to experience normal teenage stuff.  But like the writers literally admitted to themselves, it was a funny joke that got widely out of hand to the point it had to get slapped across their face when the audience didn't laugh anymore.  Chuck has said he hates that.  

I'm half afraid that the "once a year coitis" is another joke they find funny that no one else does.  And it's going to take another slap across the face to get them to see it.

I really hope that happens!

Though I guess the writers might be anticipating this to some extend and in result they're sidestepping the issue as much as they can. For example, while this week's episode uses the once-a-year deal as a plot device the issue is explicitly about Sheldon's inability to keep things private instead of them talking about whether or not they want to get rid of that old deal. After the positive reaction towards 9x11 the writers would need to be wilfully ignorant to think that the audience wouldn't like Shamy being sexually active - even more so now in S10 when they actually tested the waters with Shamy being more and more overt about what gets their motor running sparking some of the funniest episodes this season. I think they know what the audience would think very well which is also why I think they avoid any situation that would push them to make that exact decision so they'll drag it out until they squeezed the last possible laugh out of it. Fingers crossed that threshold is passed sooner rather than later!

Quote

A co worker who is a casual viewer (and thinks I'm funny for being so obsessed)  was talking to me about the preview they saw for next week.  Well, this week.  They were floored that tptb were still going with the once a year gag.   It didn't make since to them either but then they mentioned Sheldon, not Amy, who has had sex on the brain almost from the beginning.  

I don't think she named them all but we came up with several.  

...

Yeah, right.  My co worker described it as giving the audience a piece of cake and after the first bite, taking the plate away.  Most people wouldn't like that.

Here we are talking about Amy when we probably should be talking about Sheldon

LOL Right? Ever since he met Amy Sheldon is the one who has sex on the mind but somehow Amy is the one desperately wanting to have sex all the time. Sure.

Edited by April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok let's say the rumors are true and we get at least another two seasons left of the show what impact do you think that might have on the show and the pace of developments? Will we get a slowdown? Will they postpone for example the engagement until next season?

I would still get them engaged this season, from a storytelling perspective with Amy starting to question why Sheldon hasn't proposed yet (she has known about the ring for some time now) it still makes sense imo to do it this season. It would be a nice cap off to a fantastic Shamy Season 10.

Season 11 then could be about planning and having the wedding. I think there is a potential goldmine for comedy there especially if they plan a wedding and what we know about Amy lol. Also maybe explore her family in more detail in the buildup to the big day? 

Then in Season 12 you get to see a bit of married life with Shamy and whatever the writers have planned in terms of what will happen to every character/couple on the show at the end point.

Thoughts? Anything you would like to see happen or at what pace assuming a two-season deal is signed?

Edited by Jonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

So, every time Amy mentions something sex-related it's either a) Just a medium she uses as an aid for bonding with the other girls, b )An example of the unfortunate habit of mocking the frumpy girl the writers have, c) Just another running joke, the one about the sheer absurdity that anyone could ever fancy Sheldon or d) A throwaway joke.

However, every time Sheldon mentions sex, it's an unequivocal sign of his burgeoning and increasingly uncontrollable sexual desire?

Okay, point taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

4 hours ago, sarah7 said:

So, every time Amy mentions something sex-related it's either a) Just a medium she uses as an aid for bonding with the other girls, b )An example of the unfortunate habit of mocking the frumpy girl the writers have, c) Just another running joke, the one about the sheer absurdity that anyone could ever fancy Sheldon or d) A throwaway joke.

However, every time Sheldon mentions sex, it's an unequivocal sign of his burgeoning and increasingly uncontrollable sexual desire?

Interesting points. 

snapepans and joyceraye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

Ok let's say the rumors are true and we get at least another two seasons left of the show what impact do you think that might have on the show and the pace of developments? Will we get a slowdown? Will they postpone for example the engagement until next season?

I would still get them engaged this season, from a storytelling perspective with Amy starting to question why Sheldon hasn't proposed yet (she has known about the ring for some time now) it still makes sense imo to do it this season. It would be a nice cap off to a fantastic Shamy Season 10.

Season 11 then could be about planning and having the wedding. I think there is a potential goldmine for comedy there especially if they plan a wedding and what we know about Amy lol. Also maybe explore her family in more detail in the buildup to the big day? 

Then in Season 12 you get to see a bit of married life with Shamy and whatever the writers have planned in terms of what will happen to every character/couple on the show at the end point.

Thoughts? Anything you would like to see happen or at what pace assuming a two-season deal is signed?

My thoughts are mostly the same that yours by this time. I think it would be nice and about time a proposal in last episodes of this season for we could see in first half of s11 all preparation for the wedding.  It would be gold indeed for comedy and cuteness as we got glimpses from shamy relatives  before the wedding, especially Amy's we know so so litle yet. And it would be  so nice aswe got scenes about how your couple would be feeling for such big step in their lives. The wedding could be the s11 season finnale.

S12 we could get glimpses of shamy married . Not much indeed would change as they are so married as said well @mirs1 , it is only missing the ceremony and wedding bands  on their fingers.  However it might open opportunities for we see on the show litle things that would deep in their relationship as they were for long time by then sharing a place and having more plans as couple to their future.

And I know this my next thought is not shared by most of shamies but I would like to get a glimpse of a shamy child. It could be in last episode of the show but imo and we have seen several hints they would eventually have one one day , it  would fit and close the circle  in a perfect way with that moment very earlier of their relationship as shamy planned to have a baby in a petri dish.  With the huge difference that they might conceive a baby by the traditional way, as scientists are able to love and to be loved and built a family like everybody else :)

Edited by spidergirl
Jonny, joyceraye, Maddie and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

10 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

My thoughts are mostly the same that yours by this time. I think it would be nice and about time a proposal in last episodes of this season for we could see in first half of s11 all preparation for the wedding.  It would be gold indeed for comedy and cuteness as we got glimpses from shamy relatives  before the wedding, especially Amy's we know so so litle yet. And it would be  so nice aswe got scenes about how your couple would be feeling for such big step in their lives. The wedding could be the s11 season finnale.

S12 we could get glimpses of shamy married . Not much indeed would change as they are so married as said well @mirs1 , it is only missing the ceremony and wedding bands  on their fingers.  However it might open opportunities for we see on the show litle things that would deep in their relationship as they were for long time by then sharing a place and having more plans as couple to their future.

And I know this my next thought is not shared by most of shamies but I would like to get a glimpse of a shamy child. It could be in last episode of the show but imo and we have seen several hints they would eventually have one one day , it  would fit and close the circle  in a perfect way with that moment very earlier of their relationship as shamy planned to have a baby in a petri dish.  With the huge difference that they might conceive a baby by the traditional way, as scientists are able to love ans to be loved and built a family like everybody else :)

Oh, I have no problem if that happens in the final episode, actually my dream-ending would be a flash forward of a few years, that shows us how the lives of all characters evolved, with children, career accomplishment and everything. Anyway, I would not want to see Shamy (or Lenny) having a child during the 2 years run of the show. 4A-hallway-4B are for me iconic and I'm not sure I could recognize TBBT anymore if Shamy or Lenny move. In 4B there's obviously no room for a baby, so if Shamy have a child, they'll have inevitably to move to a larger place. 4A has a spare room, so Lenny theoretically can  have a baby and stay in 4A, but I don't know how feasible it is to carry a stroller for 4 floors of stairs, and don't tell me they'll fix the elevator, because that's iconic too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

A couple of posts have been hidden and a couple edited.  Remember, if you want to comment about other ships it needs to go in the shipping lanes or the discussion thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

After those must seen shamy scenes list, a two more things I would like to see in next two years:

* Sheldon winning a Nobel prize. I think we could see he being more accepted by guys in gyroscope project and he having a big scientifical discovery by his own. That sightseeker hinted as he opened to his heart to Amy, his life would get better and we could see it as he and Amy are happy together, we could see him happier in his scientifical field work as well.

* More of Amy's background. Now there is no more "excuses" as writers have two more years for that, lol! And Amy being very sucessful in her job too, as she is so inteligent and hard working.And Sheldon being so proud of his vixen sucess, in private and in public.

 

joyceraye, Jonny, Soopysue and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now