Tensor

Ship Zone
[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 10

11,050 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, koops said:

We also need not to forget that Amy for the first year or so of knowing Sheldon and being with the gang was also extremely similar to him. Her understanding of him stems from that too, it's not like Amy arrived a regular girl who wouldn't have entertained the idea of befriending Sheldon had he not been "domesticated" by Leonard and Penny already. Leonard and Penny did wonders in opening Sheldon up to the wider world by not shunning him just because of the way he is, but Sheldon did the same for Amy. Had Sheldon not stood his ground when Amy first came along, Leonard and co. WOULD have shunned HER and today we wouldn't have the more confident and socially skilled Amy we have. Because it was through exposure to the gang that Amy evolved as a character too. 

I don't see anyone as a "keeper", really. They're just people who, most of the time (although I have to say my patience with the jabs from Leonard especially is starting to run low), accept each other for who they are and that helps everyone feel more comfortable and secure and as a consequence not as anxious of stepping outside their comfort zone.

Me neither . The need of be kept about some stuff doesnt mean the need of having a keeper. Everyone enjoys to feel the others they love that they care for them as they do some stuff for them, it is a way of display affection. Sheldon had never needed to have one neither Amy. Your words  summed up my thoughts well, thank you for that !

Shamy are the rock of each other but both are very capable growth people to live by their own.

Edited by spidergirl
Messed word meaning

Posted

1 hour ago, sdffcx said:

I'm sorry.  I find it so hot...

sh.PNG

I know what you mean. :heat: 

1 hour ago, koops said:

They're just people who, most of the time , accept each other for who they are and that helps everyone feel more comfortable and secure and as a consequence not as anxious of stepping outside their comfort zone.

I think Amy put it well, in The Bon Voyage Reaction:-

more importantly, I was the outsider to this group, and I know how frightening that can be. But you guys took me in and made me feel loved, like I was family.

AND

So, after I started dating Sheldon, I met Leonard, and then everybody else, and they’ve all been so wonderful to me.

Sah, joyceraye, Shamyfan95 and 1 other like this

Posted

3 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Yes. He trusts Amy.

But we need to remind ourselves, this guy is on the spectrum, and not only needs a 'keeper', at times, but also seems to want to be 'kept'.  That keeps his anxieties down.  Leonard ["He needs me and I need to be needed"] and Penny, and now, Amy provide that.  He's come a long way, with much credit to Leonard for making him feel secure by usually accommodating him and to Penny for consistently pushing Sheldon's comfort envelope. Without them, there's no Amy.

but really without raj and howard there is no Am but Leonard and Penny too Penny and Leonard help them when they are fighting or when sheldon is being an asshat but other than that they are there for them

Shamyfan95, Sah and joyceraye like this

Posted

5 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

But we need to remind ourselves, this guy is on the spectrum, and not only needs a 'keeper', at times, but also seems to want to be 'kept'.  That keeps his anxieties down.

I know the show will never admit it, but I think that too. The thing I loved most about the show at first was Sheldon because my Asperger son loved him and used to say he was the only person on TV that was like him. So I have always looked at Sheldon through that lens and what you say makes sense to me.

Posted

3 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I know the show will never admit it, but I think that too. The thing I loved most about the show at first was Sheldon because my Asperger son loved him and used to say he was the only person on TV that was like him. So I have always looked at Sheldon through that lens and what you say makes sense to me.

Yes, a friend of mine - in counselling - has a grandson on the spectrum and his grandson just loves Sheldon.  A pretty casual search on the Internet finds some interesting articles on Sheldon, etc.  My friend is the one who explained to me that, in his grandson's case, gently pushing his comfort envelope has been effective.  That is not the case with all on the spectrum.  A cousin has a son who just went to Ohio State U. and, evidently, they have a dormitory hall for folks on the spectrum who are not yet comfortable being in the general mix of things.  OSU can be intimidating to any kid, let alone one who sometimes needs 'me' time to chill out when overwhelmed.

Maddie, spidergirl, Jonny and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, April said:

This is one of the things I really appreciate - especially with Shamy now all shacked up. There was a big fear that Amy would end up in the role as the ersatz-caretaker who would take Lenny's place and all that but the writers did a good job avoiding that completely. Sidestepping the whole issue by putting them into 4B and selling this idea of them wanting to live on neutral grounds was brilliant. With that out of the way they could concentrate on a whole bunch of great stories for the first half of the season with Shamy learning how to live together.

Now in the second half you can see they settled into their own kind of domestic life and while those living together stories don't buzz with the same vigour as before I still think overall the writers do a good job showing them as a well balanced couple and their own domestic quirks and issues. In general they seem to make an effort to avoid this weird dynamic that Sheldon had with Lenny where they'd coddle him too much. The only time Amy tries to step into that kind of role (with her best intentions, bless) is also when the story makes a point of Sheldon emphatically rejecting that very idea. Sure, there's probably still that odd off-colour joke every now and then but so far I'm very pleased with how things have developed.

And to get back to the initial idea: Of course in a relationship you care about your partner and obviously you'd hope this is reciprocated. So in that sense I have no doubt Sheldon wants Amy to take care of him - as a partner in an equal relationship. Similarly, I have no doubt he does the same for her cause he did that quite a few times in the past, be it defending her against the gang or comforting her when she's sad or nursing her when she's sick. He did that back then and now probably even more so. If I could make a wish for a story here I would absolutely love to see Sheldon in that kind of role again. <3 (They like to give their new take on old story ideas so why not that?? Pretty please!?!)

I must confess I was waiting for your eventually post on this and I could not agree more. Thankfully Shamy has been shown as a couple in all perspectives of their relationship , being indeed the best thing that had happen to them the decision of writers to put them living together in 4B. And it is really interisting how their dinamic as couple, who get more intimate in these litle things from their routines which now is a shared routine , really helped Sheldon to be more secure to handle with those changes that could have limited him in past. I mean Sheldon now faces the eventuall changes in his life with other strenght, as he is braver to face the unknown for Amy. This is imo indeed a proof he is able to care of himself and of Amy as any good and in love boyfriend. 

I would say with the risk of being wrong that many of things that scared Sheldon in past as they would change his life in some way  were result of the wrongs approaches, I mean, Sheldon many times was not well understood by the others, you know. Amy really gets him well about what he may be feeling about someone or something, what he might mean by his way of expressing himself by words or through his body language.  This give courage to everybody else to make their best to reach hapiness and imo it can be felt by Sheldon's actions lately.Sheldon became a more independent person as he bonded more to Amy as she helped him to give a chance to his potential in many fields. He has been doing the same for her. They are a couple who love each other equally and they are recipocrated in litle and big things. Not a chance of any of them be a caretaker than a SO to each other.

About your wish for that Sheldon's story, I 'd sign up for that!

Edited by spidergirl
Soopysue, Maddie, Sah and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Yes, a friend of mine - in counselling - has a grandson on the spectrum and his grandson just loves Sheldon.  A pretty casual search on the Internet finds some interesting articles on Sheldon, etc.  My friend is the one who explained to me that, in his grandson's case, gently pushing his comfort envelope has been effective.  That is not the case with all on the spectrum.  A cousin has a son who just went to Ohio State U. and, evidently, they have a dormitory hall for folks on the spectrum who are not yet comfortable being in the general mix of things.  OSU can be intimidating to any kid, let alone one who sometimes needs 'me' time to chill out when overwhelmed.

I LOVE this....

Edited by Sah
joyceraye likes this

Posted (edited)

Awwww you guys are majorly giving me the feels right now. Sah, what you said was beautiful! <3 (Sorry, I don't know how to mention people, haha).

I could go on and on about how much I love Shamy lol.

ETA: OH! And I reeeeeally want a Sheldon-as-the-caretaker/comforter story again too. Pleeeeeeease, writers?

Edited by Maddie
April, mirs1, Sah and 5 others like this

Posted

I would love if Amy had a rough day at work and Sheldon finds out and welcomes her home with a home cooked dinner, strawberry quick and some consoling hugs. I love caretaker Sheldon.

Thank you for the nice comment Maddie!

Posted

18 minutes ago, Jedichic98 said:

I honestly have no idea, if I'm on the spectrum or not (an inside joke I have with my brothers is "well who knows what wrong with us, we've never been tested") however I do relate A LOT with Sheldon. Reading a room and sensing tension? Can't tell. One time I was in the room when my friend was having a discussion with her college roommate, and then the next thing I know, my friend is in tears and running out of the room. There was no yelling, no insults, no fight, I was looking to everyone of my friend group like "seriously?! what happened?" and my brother had to explain to me that our friend's roommate was being passive aggressively cruel and making hurtful jabs at our friend. Nope. Was in the room...completely oblivious. 

Or when two friends are having a falling out. Whenever someone mentions there's tension between two peers, I just nod like "Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not lost at all" I can read books at a high level, people? Forget it, I'm that same boat with Sheldon. 

And I'm with him on eye contact. Last year in my public speaking class, the first speech I made I looked up from my paper and caught eye with a classmate, almost had a panic attack on the spot. Had to take a few minutes to regain my composure. I know it's considered rude, but if I'm not comfortable with you, don't expect that much eye contact. It freaks me out. 

I think that's why I'm so involved with this show (or more specifically Shamy) I relate with Sheldon and Amy on a deep emotional level. 

Yes! I so relate to everything you said. Everything. Eye contact is so uncomfortable. I have to really know and trust you for eye contact. I love that you identify with Shamy for these reasons. I think because Sheldon is relatable to many people like us is why he is such a popular character. Amy too, perhaps to a lesser extent...

Posted

24 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

It 's been moving to read how shamies are confortable enough to speak about their personal experiences that drawn them to the show , to fan Sheldon and Amy as well.

I am not in spectre but I have always been  feeling  a bit aside from most of things everyone do for my level of shyness. I have been working for make the shyness have less impact in my life for years but it is not easy when a person is naturally shy, you know.  I must confess  that eye contact is one of the things I have improved not long   time ago and I am already a 41.

I have said a few times Sheldon was the character who drawned me most to the show for his inteligence but mostly for his lack of socialization as he was kind of isolated. I identify myself with some of his things like a good routine of habits and having trouble for socialize in a easy way. When Amy came to the show, I really see much of my teen times voiced by her. Not so bad as it was her teen times as I had always friends, supportive parents and a brother who had always got along well with me but many things related with cool and popula girl friends and most about boyfriends or mostly the lack of them.

This couple is so special as they may make so many people learning with them that is never late to love someone  and be loved back, that is never late to face the most frightning fears and make the life go. I am really enjoying how shamy has been growing as individuals and as couple. People change and most of times it means a good thing. I am really looking foward to seeing most  Sheldon and Amy's moments we can for see how much they can be happy as everyone else as they are able for it and deserve it so much like everyone else.

To me this show will always have a special place in my heart. :)

I'm not in the spectrum, I'm far from it so it was the opposite for me, what it drawned me most it was the  novelty, and my ignorance of the character's world. So I'd like to think that the show has helped  some of us who are not in the spectrum to have a better understanding of people who are. 

Posted

6 hours ago, Riley7 said:

I'm the meantime, I'm starting my first year in law school today... Eeek...

I'm going to be incredibly busy, but I'm sure I'll find the time to keep up with our favorite couple!

Congratulations !

Jonny, Shamyfan95, Riley7 and 1 other like this

Posted

6 hours ago, Riley7 said:

I'm the meantime, I'm starting my first year in law school today... Eeek...

I'm going to be incredibly busy, but I'm sure I'll find the time to keep up with our favorite couple!

Congratulations!! 

Good luck with your studies. Take your time. Shamy goodness  will be always waiting for you gushing over about them :)

Sah, serenaded214, April and 4 others like this

Posted

7 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Me waiting for what's next for Shamy...Hiatuses always kill me, luckily tomorrow there should be a new table read, I hope in some cast&crew pics!

gif56.gif

Me too

Soopysue, Shamyfan95, mirs1 and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Me waiting for what's next for Shamy...Hiatuses always kill me, luckily tomorrow there should be a new table read, I hope in some cast&crew pics!

gif56.gif

Tell me about it, lol! My hopes this week are in those potencial pics! And in the good talks we have here, as there are always good shamy topics for that :)

Btw, I want badly to see more of  this domestic bliss closeness... Please, writers <3

d862c08a-8df0-4e1d-af70-6006e0934074.gif.33fe8c882b4370a26cf9a27856c20bd8.gif

Edited by spidergirl

Posted

Yeah could do with something this week, just a shame they don't seem to do any interviews anymore and the publicity overall of the show isn't what it once was. Maybe they simply just don't feel they need to anymore? I kind of hope their new contract (should the deal actually go ahead) perhaps gets them to do some new photo shoots or something that they can then use for promotion or some more interviews. But I doubt that...

A renewal announcement would be nice but I have been saying that for weeks lol.

I re-watched the season so far this weekend, and man those episodes from 10.4-10.7 are really good (kind of reminds of me of last season with that strong run of episodes from 9.9-9.11). Then obviously 10.11 is a good one lol. Enjoyed viewing the brunch episode all over again and how kind of proud I felt of seeing Sheldon going to all that effort for Amy.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Yeah could do with something this week, just a shame they don't seem to do any interviews anymore and the publicity overall of the show isn't what it once was. Maybe they simply just don't feel they need to anymore? I kind of hope their new contract (should the deal actually go ahead) perhaps gets them to do some new photo shoots or something that they can then use for promotion or some more interviews. But I doubt that...

A renewal announcement would be nice but I have been saying that for weeks lol.

Well, Jim, Johnny and Simon have been in many talk shows this year, mainly to advertise other projects, but most of the questions inevitably revolved around TBBT; for example, Jim's last appearance (a couple or weeks ago) at Sunday Today with Willie Geist was full of TBBT clips, so much so that the actual interview was quite disappointing because they preferred to show those clips rather than Jim answering the questions. Last year I think we got a lot of cast interviews because of the celebrations of the 200th episode, but other than that I don't remember they often do such things. What we had more last year was press coverage for special episodes, like Shamy coitus. We had some advertising for mid-season finale also this year, but  probably Shamy first time was something more sensational than their second time and Halley's birth, so it got less coverage.

26 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I re-watched the season so far this weekend, and man those episodes from 10.4-10.7 are really good (kind of reminds of me of last season with that strong run of episodes from 9.9-9.11). Then obviously 10.11 is a good one lol. Enjoyed viewing the brunch episode all over again and how kind of proud I felt of seeing Sheldon going to all that effort for Amy.

I feel the second half of the season is weaker than the first half, so far. It's true that we got so many cute Shamy moments, so I really can't complain on that aspect, but overall the comedy has a bit declined in the second part of the season.

Edited by mirs1
Sah, April, Shamyfan95 and 5 others like this

Posted

35 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I feel the second half of the season is weaker than the first half, so far. It's true that we got so many cute Shamy moments, so I really can't complain on that aspect, but overall the comedy has a bit declined in the second part of the season.

Oh I totally agree with this, I don't think it's 'hitting the heights' of earlier in the season but it still is putting out a good show and one that is still above the competition.

Posted

25 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Oh I totally agree with this, I don't think it's 'hitting the heights' of earlier in the season but it still is putting out a good show and one that is still above the competition.

Me too and it is interisting that I felt the same thing last season as we started to watch from episode 12. There is a pattern common in these last two years, maybe a strategy for keep the viewers interest. To me I am always  interested though, hehe!

However I believe the three last episodes from this season might be more excitting than the last three of last year. The show has two more seasons and it is time imo for they take care of the ring question . Really curious about which plotlines we might see yet for all characters before season 11. My expectations are low for shamy ( and I mean it , lol) but my money is in a season finalle cliffhanger. About what plot and which characters, my most curiosity at moment. 

Sah, Shamyfan95, Jonny and 3 others like this