The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 10

26 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

I disagree here.  I think it was a really crappy thing to say and I am sure hurtful for Sheldon to hear from his mother of all people.  There is a difference between Mary maybe saying that she didn't think he would ever come around to wanting to be in a relationship and saying that because of the personality and the traits he displayed at the ripe old age of 3 that she pretty much came to the conclusion that no woman would want to be with him.  It's also one thing to go through life making the "choice" to remain single and focus on other things and another to have you mother, again, believe that no one would find you worthy to be in a relationship with should you choose to do so.  I don't believe there was any intended malice on Mary's part in feeling the way that she felt.  But that doesn't mean that Sheldon doesn't have every right to be offended and/or hurt by all.

You make some valid points, I guess I will need to see how the subject is brought up and how it plays out. Mary can be blunt and crass at times so how she delivers it will be key for me personally.

lol at Sheldon trying to do some bad boy teenage rebellion against his mother. Can't wait to see Amy's reaction to it.

• Like 3

It looks like I can give likes again. This whole " like system" is confusing sometimes. *scratches head*

Edited by Desdemona
  • Like 1

On one hand it is sad to hear that we don't get any other couple plots.:umbrage:(although I read in the DT thread that Lenny are having a discussion about a TV show)
On the other hand, I'm really excited about the Shamy plot. The more I read about it, the more excited I get! Is Sheldon really going to pierce his ear? Or does he pretends to do that and chickens out right before he does? 
Now Sheldon needs to buy some tight jeans, black boots and a black leather jacket and gel his hair and tell his mother that he joined a biker gang. I'm sure Amy would love his new outfit and join also the biker gang, to shock her mother as well. :girlwink:

I think there are other plot threads but not many details. Howardette adjust to life with baby and Lenny have some sort of disagreement about a Netflix show!
  • Like 2

Well if Sheldon indeed gets mad at his mom for assuming he would be single, I'd like to see Amy boosting his ego a bit. Maybe Amy could tell Sheldon that she thinks he's extremely attractive , that his quirks are cute and she will always fall for him. :) Or she's glad that Sheldon never had any girlfriend before her or she wouldn't have had the chance to meet him.

Of course the more likely storyline is probably Sheldon gets mad at his mother so as usual he gets snarky and Amy rolls her eyes and Mary scolds Sheldon. You know, typical TBBT stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Mary might not handle well with such huge changes, lol!

LOL Poor Mary! Maybe she calls for a priest, to exorcise the evil spirit that posseses her son. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, April said:

Yeah, this is really why I need to see how it plays out in the episode. What was said exactly and how? I have a hard time imagining Mary saying this with any bad intentions but I can easily see how whatever well meaning phrase she used coming across as having some, well, unfortunate implications.

On one hand I think many if not most of us have some experience of parents meddling with our dating life in some way and one of the most annyoing forms of this is the implicit or explicit wish for grandkids. So while they may wish for you to be happy the way they want you to be happy is by settling down and making babies and that can make you feel like your only value lies in your willingness to produce offspring. Not that I think this is precisely the issue here with Mary and Shamy but it's to illustrate my point.

And to go one step further: This whole "I hope you marry and have kids" idealistic scenario is excluding all other life decisions that may make you actually happy. In Sheldon's case he was content being single and devoting his life to science and indulging in his hobbies. He wasn't looking for a girlfriend in the first place and he actually still fought about the ludicrous idea of being bonded to another human being like that for a long time. And if that would have made him happy somehow then by all means, more power to him!

Additionally, Sheldon staying single was not because he didn't have people flocking to him like moths to a flame - in between his bunch of science groupies and accidentally picking up girls (and even a guy!) left and right he would have had an easy time dating. But he wasn't interested in that. Being in a relationship is not the be-all and end-all of life styles and just because you're single doesn't necessarily mean that it's because nobody wants you.

Now, luckily this whole thing with Amy worked out great and Sheldon couldn't be happier. But if they're going with the  "I can't believe someone wants you" angle it also does a disservice to Amy by implying that "thank goodness this girl has generously saved you!" as if Sheldon were some charity project and not someone Amy genuinely finds interesting and charming and lovable.

These are just some quick musings of what one could read into such typical parents phrases and how that could offend Sheldon. But as said, I need to see how this unfolds.

Honestly I think the writers always make jokes about how anyone would agree to be Sheldon's girlfriend and how anyone would find Amy attractive... Well they obviously don't think Sheldon or Amy is unlovable, but it's hard not to speculate a little "maybe they do think that" with these kind of jokes floating around all the time... Kind of like we all know Penny doesn't marry Leonard because he wears her down, but it's really annoying when the writers constantly make jokes like that.

• Like 2

The offense level that Sheldon got about his mother's words sounds as  one of his overreacting moments. I believe she didnt want to sound mean in any level but in sake of comedy the thing might be a bit out of control, lol. Surely it would make more sense as we see the whole plot on screen. :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, April said:

Yeah, this is really why I need to see how it plays out in the episode. What was said exactly and how? I have a hard time imagining Mary saying this with any bad intentions but I can easily see how whatever well meaning phrase she used coming across as having some, well, unfortunate implications.

On one hand I think many if not most of us have some experience of parents meddling with our dating life in some way and one of the most annyoing forms of this is the implicit or explicit wish for grandkids. So while they may wish for you to be happy the way they want you to be happy is by settling down and making babies and that can make you feel like your only value lies in your willingness to produce offspring. Not that I think this is precisely the issue here with Mary and Shamy but it's to illustrate my point.

And to go one step further: This whole "I hope you marry and have kids" idealistic scenario is excluding all other life decisions that may make you actually happy. In Sheldon's case he was content being single and devoting his life to science and indulging in his hobbies. He wasn't looking for a girlfriend in the first place and he actually still fought about the ludicrous idea of being bonded to another human being like that for a long time. And if that would have made him happy somehow then by all means, more power to him!

Additionally, Sheldon staying single was not because he didn't have people flocking to him like moths to a flame - in between his bunch of science groupies and accidentally picking up girls (and even a guy!) left and right he would have had an easy time dating. But he wasn't interested in that. Being in a relationship is not the be-all and end-all of life styles and just because you're single doesn't necessarily mean that it's because nobody wants you.

Now, luckily this whole thing with Amy worked out great and Sheldon couldn't be happier. But if they're going with the  "I can't believe someone wants you" angle it also does a disservice to Amy by implying that "thank goodness this girl has generously saved you!" as if Sheldon were some charity project and not someone Amy genuinely finds interesting and charming and lovable.

These are just some quick musings of what one could read into such typical parents phrases and how that could offend Sheldon. But as said, I need to see how this unfolds.

I would agree we need to see it. Even if I do understand her point of view and her excitement over Sheldon finding someone to a degree how it all plays out is key. If I think she was way out of line or totally crass (which she has proven before she is perfectly capable of being) I will be calling her out for that.

Wait, watch and see.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Honestly I think the writers always make jokes about how anyone would agree to be Sheldon's girlfriend and how anyone would find Amy attractive... Well they obviously don't think Sheldon or Amy is unlovable, but it's hard not to speculate a little "maybe they do think that" with these kind of jokes floating around all the time... Kind of like we all know Penny doesn't marry Leonard because he wears her down, but it's really annoying when the writers constantly make jokes like that.

Yeah, Shamy's shtick has always been that they are some weirdos that nobody understands to the extend where they're either made fun of individually or downright belittled and ridiculed as a couple.

So if Mary's comment in some way is kinda sorta similar to the shit they had to endure for years I can easily see that this might be a last straw moment for Sheldon like it's terrible enough getting this from his friends all the time but now his own mother? He's changed so much in the last year or two alone that still getting this crap must be tiresome. Which then leads to Sheldon apparently trying to catch up with the teenager rebellion he never had!??? (Getting his ear pierced?? Much like Amy did in S9?? They are truly two peas in a pod! LMAO)

• Like 4

Yay! They go to Texas! I always imagined them doing this after they moved in together. I imagined that they'd visit and Mary would try to put them in separate rooms and they'd pretend to do that, but they'd be so used to sleeping in the same bad that one of them would visit the other in the middle of the night. I imagined a scenario that maybe there was a thunderstorm and Amy would get scared and Sheldon being used to Texas thunderstorms would put up a fight because girls aren't allowed in his childhood room but he'd give up eventually and then Mary would catch them and be surprisingly fine with it because she's just so happy Sheldon found someone. Sorry...I'm getting excited.

Maybe since they're visiting over the holidays, they could get too cold sleeping apart from each other. Icy outside, nice and warm in bed together. :D

Edited by EggCoriander
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, April said:

Maybe it'll be the fanfic classic of Mary giving them separate rooms/beds and during the night one is sneaking into the other's bed because they've gotten so used to sharing a bed that they can't sleep without each other? I'd love that. <3

Exactly my thoughts! MAybe it is too much to ask from the writers!

• Like 4

I agree with you guys, that Mary didn't mean to offene Sheldon. She loves him and would never hurt his feelings, but I can totally See Sheldon get it wrong and get mad with his mother , so they have a talk, where she explains herself and apologises. This could be a good oportunity to tell Sheldon how great Amy is and how happy she is that they've found each other and that she is like a daughter for her and that she hopes that he doesn't let her go again, which he denies. She leaves him alone, he grabs a box out of his pocket and opens the ring box with the engagement ring and whispers: "It's time". End of episode. To be continued.

#1.000 ways to kill me

#I need a psychiatrist

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EggCoriander said:

Yay! They go to Texas! I always imagined them doing this after they moved in together. I imagined that they'd visit and Mary would try to put them in separate rooms and they'd pretend to do that, but they'd be so used to sleeping in the same bad that one of them would visit the other in the middle of the night. I imagined a scenario that maybe there was a thunderstorm and Amy would get scared and Sheldon being used to Texas thunderstorms would put up a fight because girls aren't allowed in his childhood room but he'd give up eventually and then Mary would catch them and be surprisingly fine with it because she's just so happy Sheldon found someone. Sorry...I'm getting excited.

Maybe since they're visiting over the holidays, they could get too cold sleeping apart from each other. Icy outside, nice and warm in bed together. :D

Oddly enough, I've imagined the opposite. I've always thought there'd be a houseful for some occasion and Mary announces  that people have to share so she's put Amy and Sheldon in the same room. She says she hopes they won't mind, ( tongue-in-cheek : it hasn't sunk in with them that Mary's grasped Sheldon's implications they've slept together at least once.) but if they're offended by the implication and thoughts of what it looks like, Amy could go in with someone else (eg Constance) and Sheldon can have some revolting uncle in with him. :)

Edited by joyceraye
clarification of Mary's humour
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, April said:

So if Mary's comment in some way is kinda sorta similar to the shit they had to endure for years I can easily see that this might be a last straw moment for Sheldon like it's terrible enough getting this from his friends all the time but now his own mother? He's changed so much in the last year or two alone that still getting this crap must be tiresome. Which then leads to Sheldon apparently trying to catch up with the teenager rebellion he never had!??? (Getting his ear pierced?? Much like Amy did in S9?? They are truly two peas in a pod! LMAO)

Agree with your point here. Sheldon lived through his own stricted rules for years and since he met Amy his life has been changing, especially since last year. When a person feels confortable and happy with his own life as Sheldon seems to be at the moment about his relationship with Amy as it deeps every day, a person gets a sense of self eestem bigger, you know what I mean?

He really wasn´t interested in past to find a girlfriend but since things sorted out great with Amy, it is natural that he doesn't like to keep hearing he is a weirdo or she might be with him like for a big charity act of her life. Sheldon now wants to be a better man and it would be lame from his friends or family, even without any intention of being mean to him or offend him, to keep saying he has no traits to make a woman falling in love with him or wanting to share a life with him. Amy truly loves him and Sheldon is sensible and smart enough to know that she has been giving him all proofs of that so far. :)

Sheldon would have always that level of be into much things aka his overreacting mode that we know that most of times is not a big deal, it is a trait of his own that I think Amy handles with that in good measure and Sheldon will be always Sheldon, he is just  now a better "version" of himself. I see Sheldon getting bolder about living his life about some things that he missed in his teen times as he is defeat (sorry if this is not the word, I mean kind of challenged though), even it might be just for making a point to his mother. We dont have  many details about the plotline of last night taping but I believe it will be fun to see Sheldon standing up himself about being a better man now than people around him thinks he is, and even in his own way, I see Amy be flattered by his behavior and proud of him. Especially as he choose to turn to a  rebel Sheldon, which  is not usual on him for proving that. And honestly,  most of  girls always enjoy the bad boy side, especially if he is our boyfriend, lol! Can't wait to see Amy's reaction!

Sheldon 's life "strarted" for good as he met Amy and it is really great to see he is into everything for his and Amy's lives being the best together. They are two peas in the pod indeed. They could have the world aganst them but what really matters is they dont care about that as they know they are right about things they love or they are into . And in a certain stage of our adults lives, what really means to ourselves is what we do, who we are with as they are our choices and we dont have to please anyone  but ourselves.

I really love what writers are doing with Sheldon and Amy this season, they are including all things that envolves growing up and bonding to a SO. :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 4

Haven't been here in a forever, but I miss you guys. I have like 50 pages of reading to get through. Did they have coitus yet? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Riley7 said:

Haven't been here in a forever, but I miss you guys. I have like 50 pages of reading to get through. Did they have coitus yet? 

Oh you dear sweet child.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Riley7 said:

Page 183 and on Riley. Enjoy your reading! :icon_wink:

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tenji said:

No news on the other couples that I saw. Plot sounds more comical than anything else. Apparently Sheldon goes to get his ear pierced as an act of rebellion against his mother! She of course makes him take it out. This is from a forum member's IG account so thanks to them (and the attendee) for taking the time to share xx

This is wonderful! The first thing that came to my mind is: Sheldon really learned from the best, LOL! Isn't it great that that's exactly what Amy did during the break-up, also as a sort of rebellion? Those two really belong together! Now they can go searching for matching ear rings!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, April said:

Honestly  , this is 2016 for fucks sake ! I know many people ,who don't give a crap whether you are single, married ,in an  open relationship ,  casual, gay, bisexual, asexual or polygamous as long as everyone is a consenting adult and no one is cheating ! Just move along and live your life as you wished. This whole  old idea that you need a long term relationship/marriage to "find happiness" is very narrow minded IMO, even if it comes from Mary. After 10 years, it just seems like a STALE line of thinking 

And "I thought no one will want you" is an awful thing to say to anyone IMO, so I can  also see why Sheldon would be pissed off. Sheldon was never desperate for love nor was he ever whinning about his "horrible" single life in seasons 1-4.

Maybe this has been repeated before but the whole Shamy narrative can be written in 2 ways: 

1. Shamy are both weird brilliant people who ultimately found a connection that they didn’t want /need with anyone else and are happier with each other than ever before , because they are soulmates.

2.  Sheldon is a supremely weird and difficult man to be with and poor Amy is his saviour whose entire life goal is to save him from this supposed horror, doom, gloom and misery of single life

I prefer narrative 1 over 2, infinite times over .  I have to say I am somewhat dissappointed  that they seem to be pushing narrative  2 in 10x12 , but I still need to see it unfold.

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info @RJ1013 . Sounds even more like an episode you have to actually see to understand the full context of any disagreement Sheldon has with his mother.

Liking the sound of the some of the Amy/Mary interactions, I so want to see them becoming closer. I think it's clear that Mary likes her a lot but any further bonding between them is a good thing. :)

Sounds like we have a great couple of episodes coming up for our favorite couple! :good2:

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Thanks for the info @RJ1013 . Sounds even more like an episode you have to see to understand the full context of any disagreement Sheldon has with his mother.

Liking the sound of the some of the Amy/Mary interactions, I so want to see them becoming closer. I think it's clear that Mary likes her a lot but any further bonding between them is always a good thing. :)

Sounds like we have a great couple of episodes coming up for our favorite couple! :good2:

Yeah, if it wasn't clear, I was mostly making some guesses based on the bits of information we have.  You're right that we'll need full context to know what really goes on.

I like the idea of more Amy/Mary interactions too. They're such fun characters.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

There are a few more Shamy details on instagram. It’s not difficult to find them as long as you know how to view a user’s instagram stories. 

One interesting thing posted is that Sheldon is upset because ‘his mother thinks he can’t find a mate, and his mate thinks that he can’t run his life.’ (A big fangirl squeal from me that he calls her his mate, btw). Anyway, Amy gets him to admit to Mary that they are living in sin together ‘like two New Yorkers’ . Apparently it is also later revealed that she told Mary about it ahead of time.

Anyone who has watched this show and paid attention knows that narrative 1 is the truth. Sheldon is pretty adultish these days, but his mother doesn’t necessarily understand that. In this episode, it looks like narrative 2 is a good description of Mary’s point of view. She knows more of him as the child he once was than the man he has become.

If Sheldon is hurt that his mom still sees him as a difficult child who needs taking care of, then the show itself is actually pushing back on that idea. Also, his anger with Amy sounds like it is for similar reasons. He didn’t want her to make that decision for him or to coddle him by talking with Mary ahead of time. Rebelling like a teenager by piercing his ear might be his way of trying to get everyone to stop treating him like a child. It’s ironically immature, but I suspect that helps make it funnier.

I don’t think this is the first time this season that Sheldon has made it clear that Amy is not a mother figure to him. Since I’m not a fan of the times when the show has treated him like a child (or pet), I think I like where this is going.

Thanks for the spoiler.

I dont know  it is a good thing that Amy thinks Sheldon can't run his own life. We will have to see if Amy actually thinks that or Sheldon just believes that incorrectly. Hope it is the latter. I  am usually not a fan of stories where women think the man can't run his own life. This is not that much different from someone suggesting that Penny  should sort Leonard's life and get rid of his crap. Lol.

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 5

I imagine what Mary says comes from a place of love. Parents aren't perfect and Sheldon's definitely weren't. I think that Mary has watched her son, who is so full of passion, close himself off to the world. I'm sure that she's tried to prevent that from happening, but the combination of his intelligence and his broken home life have made it hard for him not too. I'm sure she knows her son is full of passion and love and is certainly capable of relationships, but she began to fear before Amy came along that he would never find a way to express it. Now that she's seeing Sheldon open up, he's becoming the man she knew he could be. Unfortunately, her way of expressing it leaves a lot to be desired (Sheldon gets his ability to alienate others with his words from somewhere).

• Like 3