The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 10

37 minutes ago, April said:

After seeing the clips I didn't get the feeling that Amy thinks Sheldon wouldn't find his Thursday PJs without her help or whatever. He can take care of his physical needs, the apartment won't suddenly fall into chaos and he won't become a slob overnight. That is really not her worry.

Sheldon does have more emotional needs though and Amy's worry is about how he might feel about this. She knows that Sheldon is prone to overreaction, especially when his homeostasis is in danger. And of course Amy is aware that she's been a big help for him navigating social situations and dealing with whatever idea he's obsessing about in any given plot of the week. And we know that these are not necessarily things that Sheldon has much control over. Add to that the general mutual "I need so you much" feeling you'd expect from a romantic couple that's as close as they are I think it's overall a reasonable worry for Amy that he has a hard time dealing with this.

But of course, let's not forget that this is also a setup for the final episode of the season. I think flows a bit better when you have already these vague worries being voiced here instead of having it all coming out of nowhere next week.

This, couldn't have said it better myself.

Especially what we know with 10.24, she was clearly right to have some worries about him dealing with some social situations.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 8

I second @April 's most recent post, as I share same feelings about Amy in those clips. I am not worried . On contrary, I am very excitted to see next two episodes as it is going to be epic for our couple in all ways!

I'd like to add that imo Amy needs Sheldon very much too, she always did. He is her balance point as she express what moves her in life. She needs his love as he needs hers, and it is clear to me since they reunited and Sheldon got to his 2.0 version, as he shows tender and love for her in each action from him to her that helped to Amy to become a happier and more confidente woman as well. She feels her feelings are reciprocrate now and it is seen by Amy's progressing socially too. And also between how they are more bonding to each other as well, especially in their most intimate side as a couple who share a connection emotional , rational and physical relationship. The have been nicely growing together.

Amy is not a fragile girl, she doesnt cry  or complain easily . That's why  maybe some viewers might see her as she doesnt need much Sheldon but her actions as he progresses socially and get their relationship as something more complete and deep, her need for him is more visible imo. I think it might be the point of this temporary separation for them from writers. We might see much about what is going on in Amy 's heart and mind in next season and maybe finally we see more from Sheldon as a supporting boyfriend. After all before this fellowshio they had not had yet a situation that would be needed a supporting Sheldon for Amy. Imo he seem to be going in the right direction as it seem he was going to propose even before the Ramona thing.

The supporting Sheldon is taking baby steps but he seemed to start his journey. Amy would feel supported by him as he has been feeling supported  by her in lots of situations in this season. We have two years for seeing all of that in this new level of their relationship, hopefully with that ring on Amy's finger. :) 

• Like 9

Agree[mention=21458]april[/mention] ,[mention=23410]jonny[/mention] &@spidergirl ! That's totally how I see things as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I was totally expecting this... before any big Shamy episode, someone somewhere always notices a icky-but-true fact from either the TR or the sneakpeaks. 

I guess I'll start by saying that during the span of their relationship, Shamy have always been one-sided in terms of love and affection and the like. It was Amy who wanted more, it was Amy who pretty much adhered to whatever rules Sheldon put up. For years it's been like that, up until a point when people were calling theirs an abusive relationship. Post-break-up there was a shift. Sheldon initiated more romantic and thoughtful moments and they did all the things society would deem "normal", having sex, moving in together. 

Amy knows Sheldon's history with change and or disappointments. Sure, to an outsider or someone who isn't really paying attention, they seem like a regular couple, but because they aren't, things are different. My question is why? Why CAN'T Amy be worried about Sheldon in social situations without her? She knows him better than, I would assume anyone else in his day to day life, so she obviously has reason to worry.  

All of a sudden one-sided worry is just as bad as unrequited love. I actually don't get it. I'm just excited for this episode and the growth shown by both characters. If this was season 7 they'd have a fight about it. If this was season 8 they'd probably break-up if they couldn't come to a solution. 

• Like 7

On 27/04/2017 at 8:08 PM, April said:

Are you still required to turn your phone off on the plane? (It's been ages since I was in one whoops) Cause imagine the gang trying to reach him all day and they can't get through to him because of that. LOL

But they can track him to the airport anyway ? Does it depend on the type of phone ? Mine has an 'airplane' mode on it. Sheldon was able to track Meemaw when she didn't know she had a phone. If  he does have to turn his phone off they won't know if he's gone to Texas or New Jersey until he turns it on again but they'll know he's caught a plane.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, April said:

I'm with you, @Riley7. I don't get why discussions about "Amy cares/worries about Sheldon" always go a bit haywire.

My best guess would be the invisibility of any psychological issues which often lets people react kinda weird towards these situations and characters. Like, I don't think anyone would bat an eye if Sheldon had a broken leg and Amy was worried how he'd manage without her. Physical issues are more tangible so people of course wouldn't think anything wrong with Amy's reaction, right down to ensuring that their friends look after him while she is away. But since any potential problems with Sheldon will be a result of how his brain is wired differently (as the show has explored extensively in the past years) there's all sorts of weird ideas thrown around - often with a side accusation of infantilisation thrown into the mix. So, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with Amy worrying about Sheldon that way. It doesn't mean that she sees him as a child or otherwise totally incompetent person. It's just that she knows him and his weaknesses well enough and wants to ensure that he'll be alright. I'd expect as much of anyone in such a situation.

And we were shown how differently  it still is wired when his only reaction to Bert's purchase of a supertelly for Rebecca was to express surprise and disdain for buying it before having an opportunity to measure the wall. The unsuitability of such an extravagant gift on a first date was lost on him. He was also having one of his spells of making discourteous social comments. No wonder Amy worries about the effect on him of her working a continent away. In the sneak peek her first concern was for his feelings, not for his behaviour. But we all know what feelings can do to him.

If Shamy were married would she have considered accepting the Princeton position without consulting him ? Would any spouse ? Would the fellowship offer have been made without its including an invitation to bring the other half along ? ( Especially if the spouse was  listed as Sheldon Cooper )  I'm commenting having read the TRs and seen only the trailers, not having seen the episode yet, but it looks as though the offer was made to a single person, and Amy accepted it more or less on that basis. This sort of thing is where the idea that they're as good as married falls down. I wonder if that crossed Sheldon's mind at that point ?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

And we were shown how differently  it still is wired when his only reaction to Bert's purchase of a supertelly for Rebecca was to express surprise and disdain for buying it before having an opportunity to measure the wall. The unsuitability of such an extravagant gift on a first date was lost on him. He was also having one of his spells of making discourteous social comments. No wonder Amy worries about the effect on him of her working a continent away. In the sneak peek her first concern was for his feelings, not for his behaviour. But we all know what feelings can do to him.

If Shamy were married would she have considered accepting the Princeton position without consulting him ? Would any spouse ? Would the fellowship offer have been made without its including an invitation to bring the other half along ? ( Especially if the spouse was  listed as Sheldon Cooper )  I'm commenting having read the TRs and seen only the trailers, not having seen the episode yet, but it looks as though the offer was made to a single person, and Amy accepted it more or less on that basis. This sort of thing is where the idea that they're as good as married falls down. I wonder if that crossed Sheldon's mind at that point ?

This is the kind of offer any scientist in their sound mind would accept in a heartbeat. Sheldon is a scientist himself and knows that. In a way, doing more or less the same job makes this kind of decisions easier for them, they even had a whole section of the RA about that. It is also very common for a scientist to spend a few months working in other institutions, even pretty far from home, and not always you can take your SO with you, because maybe they work themselves and can't just leave everything to follow you. I assume Sheldon could have followed Amy, because it's summer-time and he must have some vacations left. Anyway,  he didn't do that, so I think we must assume his presence was needed at Caltech and he couldn't leave. I guess the whole plot in 10.24 required them to be apart, so those real-life consideration don't apply*, maybe in the premiere the writers will make Sheldon spend the whole summer in Princeton (or maybe not, depending on what story they want to tell).  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that even if they were married the outcome wouldn't have changed a bit, this is an opportunity Amy can't miss and Sheldon as her SO is supportive and proud of her.

* BTW, it's not like they wouldn't have seen each other for the whole summer if that was RL, there are week-ends and frequent LA-NY flights, I've seen many married friends manage much more difficult temporary separations due to work.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

This is the kind of offer any scientist in their sound mind would accept in a heartbeat. Sheldon is a scientist himself and knows that. In a way, doing more or less the same job makes this kind of decisions easier for them, they even had a whole section of the RA about that. It is also very common for a scientist to spend a few months working in other institutions, even pretty far from home, and not always you can take your SO with you, because maybe they work themselves and can't just leave everything to follow you. I assume Sheldon could have followed Amy, because it's summer-time and he must have some vacations left. Anyway,  he didn't do that, so I think we must assume his presence was needed at Caltech and he couldn't leave. I guess the whole plot in 10.24 required them to be apart, so those real-life consideration don't apply*, maybe in the premiere the writers will make Sheldon spend the whole summer in Princeton (or maybe not, depending on what story they want to tell).  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that even if they were married the outcome wouldn't have changed a bit, this is an opportunity Amy can't miss and Sheldon as her SO is supportive and proud of her.

* BTW, it's not like they wouldn't have seen each other for the whole summer if that was RL, there are week-ends and frequent LA-NY flights, I've seen many married friends manage much more difficult temporary separations due to work.

I worked at an American University for over 20 years. Researchers/Professors will take a sabbatical to participate in fellowships at other university's, it looks good on their professional "curriculum vitae" and the home institution gets bragging rights as to how valuable their academic superstars are.

Sheldon, as a researcher, would be employed on a long term contract that runs 12 months a year and considering how long (we assume) he has been at Caltech, has would have banked quite a bit of vacation time.

We've seen in the past how thrilled everyone that works with Sheldon is when he takes vacations...lol

Edited by vonmar
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, anicez said:

Happy new episode day and Star wars day!! :) 

Can´t wait to watch it, I'm so nervous, I think I will not be able to sleep tonight either! so much feelings *.*

tumblr_lw0jf919CW1qj74sxo1_500_gif_cbb57a684590717a2f7200452a15b0f2.gif.fa8d4fd91eb4f7e0d08f24a1e9507d89.gif

• Like 8