[Spoilers] Lenny:Season 10

8 minutes ago, CaffeineBuzz said:

The exact exchange on that went:

Leonard: So what, you're just going to throw me under the bus?

Penny: Oh I'll throw you under so hard I might actually win a stuffed animal.

At which point Sheldon says something like "oh... it sounds like you're getting angry again" and Leonard (looking at Penny) says: "That's because we are".  

This dialogue is intentional and although there were several rewrites all this taping, that sequence never changed in any take.  They do seem fine in the tag but then again, they don't really have any dialogue to each other so its hard to judge if they're again going to just sweep that under or if it will be a continuing thing.  Also as a side note, this episode will air as the first sweeps episode the week of January 30th (not confirmed but very likely) so it may very well be an arc they're setting up for sweeps.  Again its hard to say.  I will agree with Kerry that the playback fight is rough cause it seems less of a justified fight than this one.  This fight is totally justified, she should have cleared Randal potentially staying with them with Leonard.  I don't get the sense it was her trying to get him an interview that was the real issue, it was the prospect of Randal staying with them and the fact that Penny was non-committal when asked for how long.

Just trying to give you all more details in case it helps with context.  I hope they are actually going somewhere with this fighting stuff but I'm honestly not sure.  They've seemed like they were ramping them up to tackle issues before only to let it drop.  I guess its a stay tuned kind of situation.  They do really love each other though, that's obvious and never in question.  They just (in my opinion) have issues still and my stance on that is either have them tackle it or stop injecting it into all these episodes.

Nicely put @CaffineBuzz.  I was so dejected by the TR yesterday, but my thoughts and attitude are in flux.  I am again hopeful for P & L and am edging ever toward positiveness....

• Like 8

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You say you want a Lenny Revolution ... Well, you know ... We all want to change the show ... You tell me that it's evolution ... Well, you know ... We all don't want the Shel

I've thinking a lot about Penny & Leonard over the last few days (okay. Full disclosure: I spend wayyyy too much time thinking about Leonard & Penny, but that's why I'm here, isn't it???!!??)

Yes on my way back in my Uber. When my head stops spinning, I'll be back! Loonngg day! But bloody fantastic experience Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, CaffeineBuzz said:

At which point Sheldon says something like "oh... it sounds like you're getting angry again" and Leonard (looking at Penny) says: "That's because we are".  

Thanks for the additional info. I guess it doesn't bother me all that much because, to me, it sounds like the usual marriage stuff everyone goes through. We've actually seen Howard and Bernadette going through much worse fights and they're still married and now they're even parents. 

And given that there doesn't seem to be any kind of follow-up on the RA, I highly doubt these fights are part of an arc. They just seem to write whatever they have in mind right now. With the RA, I thought they couldn't possibly go on without some kind of follow-up, but yeah, they did.

12 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Nicely put @CaffineBuzz.  I was so dejected by the TR yesterday, but my thoughts and attitude are in flux.  I am again hopeful for P & L and am edging ever toward positiveness....

I'm sorry if the TR dejected you, I tried to keep it unbias, but I agree that this is an arc (I am hopeful for everyone it is). 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

Thanks for the additional info. I guess it doesn't bother me all that much because, to me, it sounds like the usual marriage stuff everyone goes through. We've actually seen Howard and Bernadette going through much worse fights and they're still married and now they're even parents. 

And given that there doesn't seem to be any kind of follow-up on the RA, I highly doubt these fights are part of an arc. They just seem to write whatever they have in mind right now. With the RA, I thought they couldn't possibly go on without some kind of follow-up, but yeah, they did.

So you think it is just a coincidence that we get three episodes in row with Lenny fighting. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

I'm sorry if the TR dejected you, I tried to keep it unbias, but I agree that this is an arc (I am hopeful for everyone it is). 

Oh @kerrycec03 , don't in anyway feel you need to apologize.  Your taping report was just fine.  You even told us how the "argument" in the prior taping was a rough one; this one not so much.  Any dejection is my own creation.  You should have seen me after the Zach Thanksgiving Day revelation!  Again you don't need to apologize. I appreciated your report and I'm sorry to have made you think you needed to apologize.  Anyway....Happy Thursday.  Read your posts soon!!!!  :shy:   (also, you and CaffineBuzz are correct, this really does have the feel of an arc.....)

Edited by hokie3457
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

So you think it is just a coincidence that we get three episodes in row with Lenny fighting. 

I think so, because it doesn't feel like these fights are related in any way.

12 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Some nice Lenny promo pics for 10x13 are out. I wish I didn't know the context so I could actually enjoy them.

N'aww, I can't believe how cute these pictures are. :icon_redface:

3 hours ago, SRAM said:

In a way this seems like old Penny to me in that I've always seen her dominating the Lenny relationship, so her changing the apartment or inviting family members to move in, without discussing it with Leonard, seems IC for old Penny.  Leonard actually not just letting her do what she wants and fighting over it, to me, is Leonard being comfortable with her enough now to not let her get her way all the time.  It also makes me wonder if Penny's feelings about being neglected stem from her comments in season 6, where she stated that Leonard's job is to make her happy, maybe she needs to take his feelings into consideration more.

I'm going to go all Clinical Psychologiy student here so I reccommend that only those who find psychological explation inetresting read this post

Leonard acting more and more confident and standing for himself more and more is a good point. TBBT never goes too deeply into psycholoogical explanations (just some superficial things for laughs or these weird and completely unfounded interpretaions  in the Dr. Gallow had...) but if they did they could apply the notion of projective identification here. It's a process in which a person projects some part of her/himself that s/he is threatened by onto another person who is significant for her/him, then makes that person act consistently, and if the other introjects it then the first person reidentifies with that part in it's current form. after it was processed by the other. This dynamic is said to occur frequently in romantic relationships. It's kind of trickey and my eplanation here is simplified and there are differences on which of these (and other) steps are necessary, but I think my explanation quite represent the generally accepted meaning. So how can we apply it to Lenny? Well, we have seen, on different ocassions, that Penny acts confident but actually has some serious insecurities. It also seems that she doesn't like to appear insecure. Episodes like The Egg Salad Equivalency, The Higgs Boson Observation, The 43 Pecularity, and The Bad Fish Paradigm can support these claims. Leonard on the other hand is quite "out there" with his insecurities, he recognizes his insecurities, making him a fitting object for her to project her own insecurities on. I don't think I need do find specific examples where Penny makes Leonard feel and act insecure, that's most of the episdoes. So this thing seemed to work quite fine up untill now. But when the other part of projective identification, the one who is used as the object for projections, doesn't "take" the thing being projected - that when problems arise. Leonard starting to stand for himself, acting confident, fighting her and not letting her get her way as quickly as he used to (e.g, recent TR's, The Viewing Party Combustion) could be seen as him not taking this projected insecurity anymore. It was a gradual process but still, it is a change in their relationship and it might be hard for Penny, thus causing frequent fights. Her complaints about him not putting enogh effort may also be  related to him not appearing insecure (in addition to her desire to feel desired), since his used to do many and somewhat exaggerated romantic gestures partly due to his insecurities...

Anyway, even if you don't go to deep psychological explanations I think it will be interesting if they address the changes in the charctars that borught changes in their relationship. It could foster some understading (not of projective identification LOL, but that they need to be tolerant and supportive of one another and grow together) and strenghen their relationship.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, luminous said:

What we see is indeed Penny's imagination, but I don't care. They are too cute to not enjoy them. :icon_biggrin:

Same here. :) On the contrary, I think it's adorable Penny is imagining this.

40 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

41 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

This dialogue is intentional and although there were several rewrites all this taping, that sequence never changed in any take.  They do seem fine in the tag but then again, they don't really have any dialogue to each other so its hard to judge if they're again going to just sweep that under or if it will be a continuing thing.  Also as a side note, this episode will air as the first sweeps episode the week of January 30th (not confirmed but very likely) so it may very well be an arc they're setting up for sweeps.  Again its hard to say.  I will agree with Kerry that the playback fight is rough cause it seems less of a justified fight than this one.  This fight is totally justified, she should have cleared Randal potentially staying with them with Leonard.  I don't get the sense it was her trying to get him an interview that was the real issue, it was the prospect of Randal staying with them and the fact that Penny was non-committal when asked for how long.

Just trying to give you all more details in case it helps with context.  I hope they are actually going somewhere with this fighting stuff but I'm honestly not sure.  They've seemed like they were ramping them up to tackle issues before only to let it drop.  I guess its a stay tuned kind of situation.  They do really love each other though, that's obvious and never in question.  They just (in my opinion) have issues still and my stance on that is either have them tackle it or stop injecting it into all these 

I think they do still love each other very much. I think that Lenny is just experiencing a difficult time adjusting to living by themselves sans Sheldon. Kind of like how in many instances when a child leaves for college mom and dad may struggle because it has been about the kids forever. (Sheldon, in this case). Could Penny somehow be looking to fill the "empty nest" by allowing her brother to live with him who may or may not be needing taking care of until he gets his life in order again? Perhaps Sheldon was providing a buffer from Lenny communicating efficiently about needs, wants and desires. I think it is just an adjustment period for the two. They have never taken care of just each other since being married or living together. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, bfm said:

I'm going to go all Clinical Psychologiy student here so I reccommend that only those who find psychological explation inetresting read this post
.../...
Anyway, even if you don't go to deep psychological explanations I think it will be interesting if they address the changes in the charctars that borught changes in their relationship. It could foster some understading (not of projective identification LOL, but that they need to be tolerant and supportive of one another and grow together) and strenghen their relationship.  

Well done and interesting.

n_000162.gif

…since this is a tv-show, all right..:shy:

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sah said:

I think they do still love each other very much. I think that Lenny is just experiencing a difficult time adjusting to living by themselves sans Sheldon. Kind of like how in many instances when a child leaves for college mom and dad may struggle because it has been about the kids forever. (Sheldon, in this case). Could Penny somehow be looking to fill the "empty nest" by allowing her brother to live with him who may or may not be needing taking care of until he gets his life in order again? Perhaps Sheldon was providing a buffer from Lenny communicating efficiently about needs, wants and desires. I think it is just an adjustment period for the two. They have never taken care of just each other since being married or living together. 

I like your theory very much.

2 minutes ago, Sah said:

They have never taken care of just each other since being married or living together. 

Valid point. Season 6 Penny wasn't ready to live with Leonard. It seems in some way Penny is looking for an argument. She's stated in the past she has had commitment issues. It's easier to be less committed when a third person is involved.

8 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

I like your theory very much.

Interesting that you like that theory since you went on and on how Lenny is just like any other couple.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Interesting that you like that theory since you went on and on how Lenny is just like any other couple.

@Sah believes they're getting used to living together without Sheldon, which is basically the same what parents go through when their child leaves, so yeah, it's just like (almost) any other couple. Don't know why you'd be surprised.

4 minutes ago, FileXxX said:

@Sah believes they're getting used to living together without Sheldon, which is basically the same what parents go through when their child leaves, so yeah, it's just like (almost) any other couple.

Sheldon isn't their child. And there not old enough to be his parents. So no its not the same.

9 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Sheldon isn't their child. And there not old enough to be his parents. So no its not the same.

LOL! No, he's not. But, they have established and maintained an ersatz parent and child relationship with him. 

While I don't really believe that the absence of a 24 hour a day Sheldon presence in their lives is the cause of any relationship issues they may have, it is a change and one that would require adjustment in a number of areas in their lives.

Lenny's issues are deep rooted in the dynamics of their relationship. Penny is the goddess that Leonard put on a pedestal for a long time. She came to expect his pursuit, aid, understanding and adoration. He learned to count on her acceptance, and appreciation, of him for who he is. Now, they have to function as equals in a marriage. A major change that has taken time to occur and they are struggling to adapt. 

• Like 5

In a way this seems like old Penny to me in that I've always seen her dominating the Lenny relationship, so her changing the apartment or inviting family members to move in, without discussing it with Leonard, seems IC for old Penny.  Leonard actually not just letting her do what she wants and fighting over it, to me, is Leonard being comfortable with her enough now to not let her get her way all the time.  It also makes me wonder if Penny's feelings about being neglected stem from her comments in season 6, where she stated that Leonard's job is to make her happy, maybe she needs to take his feelings into consideration more.

Except, he WAS going to let her get her away again. He says he's fine, and it's not until Sheldon points the machine at him does it come out that he's actually not fine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

LOL! No, he's not. But, they have established and maintained an ersatz parent and child relationship with him. 
While I don't really believe that the absence of a 24 hour a day Sheldon presence in their lives is the cause of any relationship issues they may have, it is a change and one that would require adjustment in a number of areas in their lives.
Lenny's issues are deep rooted in the dynamics of their relationship. Penny is the goddess that Leonard put on a pedestal for a long time. She came to expect his pursuit, aid, understanding and adoration. He learned to count on her acceptance, and appreciation, of him for who he is. Now, they have to function as equals in a marriage. A major change that has taken time to occur and they are struggling to adapt. 

OR.......
The writers just like them fighting and have nothing else to offer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

OR.......
The writers just like them fighting and have nothing else to offeremoji12.png!

Which is, of course, the truth. But, it is customary on the forum to discuss Lenny as if they're real people. Therefore, I followed that tradition... :icon_razz:

Edited by HeWolf
While some people (Itwasdestined) just want to mess with us who have delusional attachments to fictitious characters... LOL!
  • Like 4

Which is, of course, the truth. But, it is customary on the forum to discuss Lenny as if they're real people. Therefore, I followed that tradition... :icon_razz:

Yeah, I know- just messing with ya!

• Like 1

Sometimes, in my more pessimistic moments, I wonder if they're trying to write Lenny in a way that would facilitate a believable departure of the Penny character while Leonard stays (aka divorce) in case Kaley either wants to have kids or turn completely to riding.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Sometimes, in my more pessimistic moments, I wonder if they're trying to write Lenny in a way that would facilitate a believable departure of the Penny character while Leonard stays (aka divorce) in case Kaley either wants to have kids or turn completely to riding.

I have theorized in other places that the transformation of Penny from the bubbly airhead to what she is now is due to Chuck Lorre's original vision for the female lead on TBBT. Perhaps the idea is to write her out and bring in the original, rough, woman of the world, that Chuck wanted in the first place... She could pick up Leonard on the rebound... 

No. I am not serious... Or?

Edited by HeWolf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, veejay said:

Well done and interesting.

n_000162.gif

…since this is a tv-show, all right..:shy:

Love the absent-minded fiddling with her hair.....

12 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

A valid thought.  However, from everything Kaley says, she is a huge fan of the Leonard/Penny relationship.  She has been forever hoping for their marriage.  There was a group interview some years back.  Someone asked about Penny's last name.  She blurtted out that she knew what her character's last name would be----"Hofstadter".  I guess what I am trying to say, is that if Kaley has any clout, I think she would push for a happily-ever-after whenever she leaves or the series ends....

6 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

I have theorized in other places that the transformation of Penny from the bubbly airhead to what she is now is due to Chuck Lorre's original vision for the female lead on TBBT. Perhaps the idea is to write her out and bring in the original, rough, woman of the world, that Chuck wanted in the first place... She could pick up Leonard on the rebound... 

No. I am serious... Or?

The only problem with writing the Penny character out, is that Kaley is the second most popular person on the show out there in the real-world.  At times  here on the Forum that does not appear to be the case, but elsewhere everywhere you look, it is "Sheldon and Penny" not necessarily as a couple.... 

• Like 5

• Tripper pinned and unpinned this topic