The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Chit Chat: Season 10

I found the original star wars a disappointment when I saw it in 1977. I was looking for more science fiction less fantasy. Everyone else's excitement became infectious.

star_wars__40_years_of_the_force_by_angusmctavish-dau9201.thumb.png.17bb4faa59d049523f467e2243abce24.png

On 26/05/2017 at 8:37 AM, No Regrets said:

It's also not much different from Kaley saying years ago that she "would cry like it was her own break up" if Leonard and Penny didn't end up together.

I don't think you can really compare A & S with P & L in that respect, or KC - Penny with MB - Amy. The love story of Leonard and Penny has been the only extended romantic storyline on the show, and KC has made Penny fully believable as a person in love. I for one want "Penny" to be happy because KC has put so much into her that we can imagine her feelings.

A & S on the other hand have never IMO been believable as a couple in love, and MB has not created Amy as a relatable human being with feelings, but just said the lines and done the actions as she's been told, without putting anything into the character of her own. To me Amy seems like a self-propelled, speaking part of the set with no imaginable inner life. I could as well want the couch or the kitchen island to be happy.

KC has earned the right to care about her character's relationship. MB hasn't.

Edited by JohnPhD
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Different strokes and all that.

I'm sure there'll be real life Shamy's out there, somewhere in the world.

I beg to differ.

She has the same sad face. If you seen it once you have seen 50 times.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

I don't think you can really compare A & S with P & L in that respect, or KC - Penny with MB - Amy. The love story of Leonard and Penny has been the only extended romantic storyline on the show, and KC has made Penny fully believable as a person in love. I for one want "Penny" to be happy because KC has put so much into her that we can imagine her feelings.

A & S on the other hand have never IMO been believable as a couple in love, and MB has not created Amy as a relatable human being with feelings, but just said the lines and done the actions as she's been told, without putting anything into the character of her own. To me Amy seems like a self-propelled, speaking part of the set with no imaginable inner life. I could as well want the couch or the kitchen island to be happy.

Yeah that's why Mayim has been nominated for her portrayal of the character multiple times and Kaley hasn't even been nominated once.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

Six seasons isn't enough?

Wow!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

She has the same sad face. If you seen it once you have seen 50 times.

And how many sad faces does Penny have?

From what I've seen, Penny's default reaction to sadness is to cry, as in The Barbarian Sublimation, The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis, The Cohabitation Formulation, and The Gorilla Experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Yeah that's why Mayim has been nominated for her portrayal of the character multiple times and Kaley hasn't even been nominated once.

Which really means nothing.  The character she plays has a lot more to do with the nominations than the acting.  In the comedy awards it's much more the characters, than it is the acting.  This is not to say Kaley is a better actor than Mayim. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

1) I don't think you can really compare A & S with P & L in that respect, or KC - Penny with MB - Amy. 2) The love story of Leonard and Penny has been the only extended romantic storyline on the show, and KC has made Penny fully believable as a person in love. I for one want "Penny" to be happy because KC has put so much into her that we can imagine her feelings.

3) A & S on the other hand have never IMO been believable as a couple in love, and MB has not created Amy as a relatable human being with feelings, but just said the lines and done the actions as she's been told, without putting anything into the character of her own. To me Amy seems like a self-propelled, speaking part of the set with no imaginable inner life. I could as well want the couch or the kitchen island to be happy.

4) KC has earned the right to care about her character's relationship. MB hasn't.

1) Of course you can.

2) The Shamy love storyline has been in the show for seven seasons now which is more than enough time for it to have depth and a history, which it does. Mayim has also made Amy a very believable and relatable character - more relatable than Penny, for sure - which makes the audience want to root for her. It's easier to root for the bullied underdog than the unattainable trophy. It goes without saying though that acting ability takes part in that too.

3) Shamy have always been a very believable couple and especially in this last season, the love and domestic intimacy in their scenes is outshining even Howardette - not by much though. The couple who isn't believable at this stage is Lenny - even in 10.22 there was no love or warmth. Kaley was just saying her lines which made the Penny character feel empty and like her life had been sucked out of her. I would even go as far as to say that Penny is the writers' (Leonard's) reward which is why the Lenny relationship hasn't been developed as it should have been.

In general, Mayim has done a much better job with Amy than Kaley has with Penny which is something that is reflected not only on the show but also on the Enmy nominations that Mayim has acquired, something that Kaley hasn't managed to do in ten years as the sole female protagonist.

4) Of course Mayim has earned the right to care for her character. She has worked hard for Amy's portrayal and has made her a character more complex and life-like than Penny could ever hope to be (goes back to acting ability).

Edited by Judith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kaley saved the whole show in the beginning, her characterization of Penny got the pilot finally on TV and then it took off from there.  Mayim and Melissa came on the show as temporary characters and both of them were so good they created spots for themselves in the show as regulars, that is very hard to do in a running sitcom.  So they all are the actresses in the biggest hit sitcom of the last ten years, simple logic is that they are all very good at what they do.

The one thing I think will be weird next season is that is if they continue with the scene of Sheldon's proposal in 11.01, Amy still has almost three months to go at Princeton.  Are they going to have her just skype her friends for the first part of the season or is the show going going to take a three month jump in one episode?

It would be so nice to have an anniversary episode but I think it should be about Penny, because what really happened is ten years ago Penny came into the nerd's lives and shook everything up.  An episode about how Penny changed everyone's lives would be adorable, I could see her as a blubbering mess at the end, her telling them she loves them so much and would not have wanted her life to go any other way.  

• Like 7

1) Of course you can.
2) The Shamy love storyline has been in the show for seven seasons now which is more than enough time for it to have depth and a history, which it does. Mayim has also made Amy a very believable and relatable character - more relatable than Penny, for sure - which makes the audience want to root for her. It's easier to root for the bullied underdog than the unattainable trophy. It goes without saying though that acting ability takes part in that too.
3) Shamy have always been a very believable couple and especially in this last season, the love and domestic intimacy in their scenes is outshining even Howardette - not by much though. The couple who isn't believable at this stage is Lenny - even in 10.22 there was no love or warmth. Kaley was just saying her lines which made the Penny character feel empty and like her life had been sucked out of her. I would even go as far as to say that Penny is the writers' (Leonard's) reward.
In general, Mayim has done a much better job with Amy than Kaley has with Penny which is something that is reflected not only on the show but also on the Enmy nominations that Mayim has acquired, something that Kaley hasn't managed to do in ten years as the sole female protagonist.
4) Of course Mayim has earned the right to care for her character. She has worked hard for Amy's portrayal and has made her a character more complex and life-like than Penny could ever hope to be.

I guess this is just your opinion because i believe just the opposite

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Which really means nothing.  The character she plays has a lot more to do with the nominations than the acting.  In the comedy awards it's much more the characters, than it is the acting.  This is not to say Kaley is a better actor than Mayim. 

I going to have to disagree with you here.  Characters are created by writers.  What the performer does with the character is what is recognized in the awarding process.

It was the actress Mayim Bialik who was nominated for her performance as Amy Farrah Fowler....the character of AFF was not nominated for anything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Judith said:

Of course Mayim has earned the right to care for her character.

There is no need for rights for what anyone cares about. There are no thought police outside of Orwell's 1984.

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

I really think arguing who is the better actress doesn't make much sense, Kaley saved the whole show in the beginning, her characterization of Penny got the pilot finally on TV and then it took off from there.  Mayim and Melissa came on the show as temporary characters and both of them were so good they created spots for themselves in the show as regulars, that is very hard to do in a running sitcom.  So they all are the actresses in the biggest hit sitcom of the last ten years, simple logic is that they are all very good at what they do.

Very well stated!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

I going to have to disagree with you here.  Characters are created by writers.  What the performer does with the character is what is recognized in the awarding process.

It was the actress Mayim Bialik who was nominated for her performance as Amy Farrah Fowler....the character of AFF was not nominated for anything.

Where's Mayim's nominations for Blossom?  The Secret Life of an American Teenager?  How about her portrayal of Nancy Kurshan?  Or her part in  Curb Your Enthusiasm?  Or, are you saying she just happen to become a good actor when she started playing Amy?   But, that wouldn't explain The Flight Before Christmas, as that happened while she was playing Amy.  

So which is it?  Are you saying her acting isn't very good, until she plays Amy, when it becomes extraordinary?  I see it, as a happens a lot, that she is a good actress who happen to land in a role is different and noteworthy enough that she got noticed for her work. 

Or, as is far more likely as it is for most actors, actors like Kelsey Grammar and Don Knotts (among so many others) who only got Emmy nods for a particular character and for none of their other work, the character has quite a bit to do with award nominations?  

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Well, there was no other actress who played Amy. :fi_lone_ranger:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Or, as is far more likely as it is for most actors, actors like Kelsey Grammar and Don Knotts (among so many others) who only got Emmy nods for a particular character and for none of their other work, the character has quite a bit to do with award nominations?  

Exactly. If nominations were purely based on an actor's ability, DiCaprio would have 5 Oscars instead of one. I can name tons of actors who are fantastic and yet have never gotten recognition through awards.

• Like 4

I think awards are a bit of a crapshoot. Like Bob Newhart getting his Emmy for his guest spot on TBBT. Actually he got his award I would think in part because people must have thought recognition was long past due. I think his previous work was part of the equation. The same could be true for Mayim perhaps.

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

I really think arguing who is the better actress doesn't make much sense, Kaley saved the whole show in the beginning, her characterization of Penny got the pilot finally on TV and then it took off from there.  Mayim and Melissa came on the show as temporary characters and both of them were so good they created spots for themselves in the show as regulars, that is very hard to do in a running sitcom.  So they all are the actresses in the biggest hit sitcom of the last ten years, simple logic is that they are all very good at what they do.

Agree very much with you on this. However I could not help myself of  feeling  a forum deja vu ...

giphy-14.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I think awards are a bit of a crapshoot. Like Bob Newhart getting his Emmy for his guest spot on TBBT. Actually he got his award I would think in part because people must have thought recognition was long past due. I think his previous work was part of the equation. The same could be true for Mayim perhaps.

Winning is a bit of a crapshoot, not so much nominations (although, if there are a lot of good candidates for a particular year, it becomes a crapshoot for those also).   I just don't buy that Mayim wasn't a good enough actress, prior to TBBT and her first two years playing Amy, to be nominated.  Then for four years, she was all of a sudden good enough to get nominated four years in a row. Then fall back to not even being nominated for the year of the Shamy breakup, when a lot of the emotional scenes actors live for, were present.  

Look, the cast is all good.  Kaley, Johnny, and Mayim all have been working in the industry for over 25 years. You don't get that, if you are not a good actor.  But to try to base who is better than the other, off of nominations only gleaned from one character, is rather misleading.    

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Where's Mayim's nominations for Blossom?  The Secret Life of an American Teenager?  How about her portrayal of Nancy Kurshan?  Or her part in  Curb Your Enthusiasm?  Or, are you saying she just happen to become a good actor when she started playing Amy?   But, that wouldn't explain The Flight Before Christmas, as that happened while she was playing Amy.  

So which is it?  Are you saying her acting isn't very good, until she plays Amy, when it becomes extraordinary?  I see it, as a happens a lot, that she is a good actress who happen to land in a role is different and noteworthy enough that she got noticed for her work. 

But all good actors/actresses are nominated/awarded for every character they play, otherwise their nomination or win are merely a lucky strike or the result of Hollywood's whim?

While I agree nominations or awards are not by any means the one and only reference to measure an actor's ability, of course they have to mean something! if anything, the serendipitous combination of a good performer and a particular character in the right place and the right moment.

Because every time Mayim's nominations come up, the same old "noms mean nothing" excuse come up as well, also that she only got those for the type of character she plays, like the only thing anyone has to do is to put on the frumpy clothes and glasses and say a couple weird things and voila!, here's your Emmy nom!, no special talent or ability required!

Excuse me, but Mayim is beyond fantastic playing the quirky side of Amy, just remember the tiara scene, the scavenger hunt karaoke and her plenty of wonderful one-liners perfectly delivered. I'm not sure if she has what it takes to be an all-round dramatic actress, but TBBT is a comedy, and she was nominated accordingly, and also rightfully. Give the same crazy lines and appearance to a less capable actress and let's see how many accolades the same odd duck/academy favorite character gets.

So, no, I don't think noms or awards are everything, nor that those who doesn't have them are lousy actors, but I also don't think it's fair to suggest the actor's talent has nothing/little to do with getting them.

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sarah7 said:

But all good actors/actresses are nominated/awarded for every character they play, otherwise their nomination or win are merely a lucky strike or the result of Hollywood's whim?

While I agree nominations or awards are not by any means the one and only reference to measure an actor's ability, of course they have to mean something! if anything, the serendipitous combination of a good performer and a particular character in the right place and the right moment.

Because every time Mayim's nominations come up, the same old "noms mean nothing" excuse come up as well, also that she only got those for the type of character she plays, like the only thing anyone has to do is to put on the frumpy clothes and glasses and say a couple weird things and voila!, here's your Emmy nom!, no special talent or ability required!

Excuse me, but Mayim is beyond fantastic playing the quirky side of Amy, just remember the tiara scene, the scavenger hunt karaoke and her plenty of wonderful one-liners perfectly delivered. I'm not sure if she has what it takes to be an all-round dramatic actress, but TBBT is a comedy, and she was nominated accordingly, and also rightfully. Give the same crazy lines and appearance to a less capable actress and let's see how many accolades the same odd duck/academy favorite character gets.

So, no, I don't think noms or awards are everything, but I also don't think it's fair to suggest the actor's talent has nothing/little to do with getting them.

This! ^^ I would give you 1000 likes for this post if I could!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

The love story of Leonard and Penny has been the only extended romantic storyline on the show, and KC has made Penny fully believable as a person in love. I for one want "Penny" to be happy because KC has put so much into her that we can imagine her feelings.

A & S on the other hand have never IMO been believable as a couple in love, and MB has not created Amy as a relatable human being with feelings, but just said the lines and done the actions as she's been told, without putting anything into the character of her own.

As you concede with your IMO this is entirely your opinion and I for one totally disagree with it from top to bottom. You're entitled to think that if you wish, but I assure you not everyone feels this way and they are entitled to their opinion as well.

• Like 3