Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 10 Shipping Lanes

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

That was Season 3. Alot has changed since then clearly. Difference for me is transparency. Their is just no balance with the show anymore. Show well phone it in till the end. 

A lot has changed and a lot has not changed. No "god" here.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, djsurrey said:

A lot has changed and a lot has not changed. No "god" here.

But a lot has indeed changed. If you take into consideration the amount of screen time that is devoted to Sheldon, for example you can understand why people think that the writers consider him a god. Or if not a god, at least their golden boy. Also, IMO their attitude (the writers') has changed from writing a fairly balanced sitcom to just concentrating on Sheldon. The biggest insult was when he and Amy split how that was shown 95 % from Sheldon's point of view. If you need another example of Sheldon's god-like status in the writers' eyes look no further than the 200 episode, or even S10 finale. Everything is written form the POV of how it affects Sheldon. I guess it is fine if you love the character, but good story telling it is not.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

But a lot has indeed changed. If you take into consideration the amount of screen time that is devoted to Sheldon, for example you can understand why people think that the writers consider him a god. Or if not a god, at least their golden boy. Also, IMO their attitude (the writers') has changed from writing a fairly balanced sitcom to just concentrating on Sheldon. The biggest insult was when he and Amy split how that was shown 95 % from Sheldon's point of view. If you need another example of Sheldon's god-like status in the writers' eyes look no further than the 200 episode, or even S10 finale. Everything is written form the POV of how it affects Sheldon. I guess it is fine if you love the character, but good story telling it is not.

The thing is, has any other character in 10 years of story telling received direct and uninterrupted attention, wherein an entire episode is dedicated to that one character?  No B plot?  Add to this the Christmas episode in Season 10 (I like to call it "Its a Wonderful Sheldon" episode). 

• Like 5

Just for fun...:shy:

"Soft Sheldon Warm Sheldon Little friend named Spock.
Happy Sheldon Sleepy Sheldon Knock, Knock, Knock."

Yes, sometimes I’m weird. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, veejay said:

Too much spare time on your hands veejay lol.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, veejay said:

Adorably weird, dont forget it. :)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Too much spare time on your hands veejay lol.

Never enough...:icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 6

I would think that if the rating started going down tptb would probably thing that they needed more Sheldon not less

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

13 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Adorably weird, dont forget it. :)

I bought my goddaughter a T-shirt with that on it last year. She loves it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I bought my goddaughter a T-shirt with that on it last year. She loves it. 

LOL, I would wear that too.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I would think that if the rating started going down tptb would probably thing that they needed more Sheldon not less

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ratings started going down from 8.01 onwards. When they relegated Lenny from central focus. They always do well in the 15-35 female demo, probably got the demo wrong lol. But once they relegated Lenny To a supporting role. And made Sheldon the forefront of the show. Sheldon Cooper's Adventures and his Friends. Is the show now. Amy/Mayim is just so fortunate she shares screen time with Sheldon. Does not change the fact the whole show is seen from his pov now. And Amy is lost in the Shamy relationship. Because of the lack of balance. Amy is super interesting too. One of the reasons I am Anti Shamy. 

Edited by 3ku11

5 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Ratings started going down from 8.01 onwards. When they relegated Lenny from central focus.

Actually, that's not true.  Season 9 was even with season 8.   As for the drop, can you show the change in focus of the show, is the direct cause of the drop in viewers?  Remember, in statistics, correlation is not causation.     

5 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

They always do well in the 15-35 female demo, probably got the demo wrong lol. 

Yes, you got it wrong.  There is no 15-35 demo, in either men or women.  So, they don't do well in the 15-35 demo, because that doesn't exist.  

• Like 1

Bottom line is ratings are down, 8 being even with 9 is still down from 7. We can argue as to why they are down but that they are down is fact.

And the "number 1 ratings" they get now would have gotten the show cancelled if it had premiered a decade earlier. Broadcast TV is dyeing and in another decade will probably be a waste of advertising dollars which will be its final death blow 

• Like 1

Well yeah while TBBT is still reguarly #1 in its time slot. I think I remembered Friends had 70% share of the audience. These days the Broadcast Networks have like 20%. Their is probably going to be more advertising potential in streaming over the next decade. They already advertisers pay ad spots on Youtube. Netflix well do that soon. Ratings arent dropping like flies. But if they start steadily dropping. It may not reach the 12th season. Well the showrunners decide if the show is too expensive to keep producing, for the expenditre they are getting out of it. I mean the only reason post 2012. The show has kept on air is because of revenue and ratings. So once that declines...

• Like 1

We will live to see the "over the air" broadcast stop and abc, cbs, nbc, fox etc... Become just another HBO or more likely another TBS

Hell right now I dont know anyone with an antenna, all their shows come into the house via cable or netflix type devices

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We only have digital in our country now. No Analoge since 2010. But well see how TBBT goes beyond Season 11. I have doubts it well get to S12 at this rate. The tone of the show for me has significantly shifted. It is not just because Leonard and Penny have been relegated to a supporting role. But tone in the writing has changed since they decided to revolve the show around their choosen one. That light hearted and fluffy tone. And transistioned to a Melodrama almost. Maybe that is just me, or maybe it is not :icon_cheesygrin:.

Edited by 3ku11

33 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I know there are people who don't think like this, but when I watch re-runs on TBS it is jarring to see how different the show was in S1 through S6 and how much better it was. They definitely had missteps, but the overall quality was much higher. From my observations (which are not scientific or probably statistically valid as a representation of the whole viewership) the one factor in common with the decrease in quality has been the increase in Molaro's involvement coupled with the decrease in Bill Prady's.

Spot on @Carlos .  I had thought Molaro would be a easy replacement, as Season 6, his first as showrunner, was my favorite.  I hate to say this, especially here, but the increasing insertion of Sheldon in most story lines since Season 7 (really for me since Episode 6.24) is an impediment to enjoying things as I did in the past.  I really wish Prady could find a way to take more control......

• Like 6

9 hours ago, JE7 said:

Bottom line is ratings are down, 8 being even with 9 is still down from 7. We can argue as to why they are down but that they are down is fact.

Of course, I never said otherwise.  What I was objecting to was "The ratings started going down from 8.01 onwards.  That isn't true.  

And the "number 1 ratings" they get now would have gotten the show cancelled if it had premiered a decade earlier. Broadcast TV is dyeing and in another decade will probably be a waste of advertising dollars which will be its final death blow 

That's true of all the shows   That's why I prefer to compare the shows ratings to the average show for that year.  A decade ago, TBBT was no better just below the average show, with better ratings than they have now.  This year, the are about 2.5 times better than the average show.  And it may be the only show that is better than twice the average show.  Empire might make it, depending on how it does over the last few episodes.  But even if it makes it, it will be down 40% from last year (from 4.42 to currently 2.80), with general viewing being down 16%  Compare that to TBBT being down 17% this year (from 3.73 to 3.1).  

9 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Well yeah while TBBT is still reguarly #1 in its time slot. I think I remembered Friends had 70% share of the audience. These days the Broadcast Networks have like 20%. 

It's still regularly number one for all broadcasts, not just time slot.  It will be the only entertainment (non-sports) show over a 3.0 demo this year.  Friends was never at 70%.  It's best year, in 2002-03, it had 32-38% of the broadcast audience(~21 million out of 56-59 million).  Last week, TBBT had 48% of the broadcast audience (13 million out of 27 million)

9 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Their is probably going to be more advertising potential in streaming over the next decade. They already advertisers pay ad spots on Youtube. Netflix well do that soon. Ratings arent dropping like flies. 

For the Super Bowl last year, the average number of viewers on FOX TV was 111.3 million viewers.  this was down 600,000 viewers from the previous year.  The number of Streaming viewers was 1.73 million, up 300,000 from the previous year.   For Streaming, that is 110 million less viewers than watched on Broadcast TV.  Streaming has a way to go yet.  

9 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

But if they start steadily dropping. It may not reach the 12th season. Well the showrunners decide if the show is too expensive to keep producing, for the expenditre they are getting out of it. I mean the only reason post 2012. The show has kept on air is because of revenue and ratings. So once that declines...

See, the problem with your contention here is that they have already signed the contracts for two more years.  They will have to produce those two years.  If the ratings become too bad, they will simply burn the shows off on a night that doesn't have that many viewers anyway.  They did that with Glee the last year.  After giving Glee a two year renewal, for seasons five and six, it dropped 45% in the ratings for season five(only about two thirds of the rating of an average show).   They gave Glee a slot at 8 PM on a Friday, just to get rid of it.  It dropped another 45% in it's last year averaging a 0.6 for the season (only about a quarter of the average show).  But, because all the contracts were signed, they were obligated to produce the show.    

8 hours ago, JE7 said:

We will live to see the "over the air" broadcast stop and abc, cbs, nbc, fox etc... Become just another HBO or more likely another TBS

Hell right now I dont know anyone with an antenna, all their shows come into the house via cable or netflix type devices

I'll be buying an antenna within the next month.  I'm going with Playstation Vue for the cable channels I want (Played through my Apple TV), and over the air, for the local channels. I've already got Netflix.   

BTW Skull, everything in the US is also now digital.  Even the over the air broadcasts are digital.  You don't need to have cable for signals to be digital.  And, as I pointed out, it will get to season 12.  

• Like 7

@Tensor  Your knowledge frightens me already again. :scratchhead:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, veejay said:

@Tensor  Your knowledge frightens me already again. :scratchhead:

In this forum ain't nobody get to fudge the numbers on Tensor's watch! :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tensor said:

I'm a lab accident away from being a super villian. 

02.gif.ee357436c282589cc4e09285c2f76d53.gif

Super-Data   :icon_biggrin:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 5

I was curious,  what was the relative screen time of Sheldon vs Lenny in season 2, 3 and 4 ? That was before Shamy was a big component of the show. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I was curious,  what was the relative screen time of Sheldon vs Lenny in season 2, 3 and 4 ? That was before Shamy was a big component of the show. 

I haven't gone back to check on that.  If you give me a few weeks, I'll check it for you.  And, a question, for two and three, do you want just Lenny vs Sheldon?  The problem there would be Sheldon isn't alone very much.  Or would you want a comparison to Sheldon with others, except Lenny) and Lenny with others, except Lenny, along with Shenny time?  Or, just total screen time for each of the characters, and each of the couples, no matter who they are with.   

For season four, would you want a comparison of alone time for Lenny and Shamy?  Or time with Shamy and others, except Lenny) and Lenny and others, except Shamy.  

I'm asking as there are so many different ways to separate it.

Maybe this will be my summer project.  Check on various different screen times for each of the years.   

• Like 6