[Spoilers] Season 10 Shipping Lanes

Tensor

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I feel exactly the same as you do. I know it says somewhere to turn the other cheek , but if we keep on doing so, the slaps are so hard that we're going to get whiplash.

I think people are getting upset over the TR instead of watching when the actual episode comes on. More often the TR doesn't reflect the actual viewing of the episode. I watched episodes that weren't as bad as the TR appeared and vice versa.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

TR are always vague. The TR wasent even that bad. Lenny had an argument. Penny wants more from their relationship . And they are now making practical steps to fix it. I'm missing the angst . Per usual TR always translate differently on tv.

Two problems with taping reports no matter how wonderful a job they do writing and they normally do great. one is the viewer can't  picture what going on while looking at words. Second is time is tricky to figure how much time is be allotted to the stories. The problem is the person reporting doesn't see the final cut. I think when you hear Sheldon's writing a relationship agreement for Lenny most Lennys aren't going to like that. Can't blame them/us. Until the episode is shown it seems better to wait especially since the reporter didn't think it was as bad as it sounded. He could be wrong or right. Will have to see. Same goes with Penny. I can feel the frustration with Penny considering I think Leonard has carried the bulk of the load and generally put more effort than Penny. Again I think people need to wait and see what's happening before losing it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Two problems with taping reports no matter how wonderful a job they do writing and they normally do great. one is the viewer can't  picture what going on while looking at words. Second is time is tricky to figure how much time is be allotted to the stories. The problem is the person reporting doesn't see the final cut. I think when you hear Sheldon's writing a relationship agreement for Lenny most Lennys aren't going to like that. Can't blame them/us. Until the episode is shown it seems better to wait especially since the reporter didn't think it was as bad as it sounded. He could be wrong or right. Will have to see. Same goes with Penny. I can feel the frustration with Penny considering I think Leonard has carried the bulk of the load and generally put more effort than Penny. Again I think people need to wait and see what's happening before losing it.

I must say that Penny ask for a relationship agreement feel OOC for me.

Penny was complaining about the room agreement last season when she visited the shrink, and now all of a sudden she has changed her mind and want an agreement for her marriage!?!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lagernisse said:

I must say that Penny ask for a relationship agreement feel OOC for me.

Penny was complaining about the room agreement last season when she visited the shrink, and now all of a sudden she has changed her mind and want an agreement for her marriage!?!

Penny didn't ask for the RA. Sheldon arranged it. In any regard. Not Ooc. Because last season, she mentioned, she was sick of the man child Sheldon. As that situation has resolved it self. Sheldon has for now moved out. Seeing that was her main issue. The RA wasent really the core of the issue. More she had to share her husband and her space. With a Man Child.

In any respect. The Roommate Agreement is different From the Relationship Agreement. Ooc to me means a character acting differently from their normally would. Penny bitched about her life to the Shrink. Last season. Now she's venting to her friends. I don't see a difference. Once again ppl are making assumptions based on vague taping reports. Things never change.

Edited by 3ku11

Will have to see the episode, Sheldon may well have hinted at it as a way to help his friends or made a remark, not sure though.

The impression I got from the TR is that THEY asked Sheldon to draw up a RA and it was based on what they wanted in it, Sheldon just typed it up and put it on paper.

Again will have to see the episode because honestly this whole storyline came out of the blue, they didn't look that unhappy or had lost some major spark to me.

IF the TR is correct and it plays out as we think then I think people are being way too harsh on Sheldon here. If your best friends come to you and ask you for help and knowing how close they are he is not exactly going to turn them down.

We really must wait and see with this episode.

• Like 2

I think it will be a short-term thing, perhaps get them back on track a bit and hopefully allow them to refocus their relationship and their commitment to each other. If we get more storylines like them going out together to the cinema, perhaps for a nice romantic meal together and the RA commits them to spending more time in each other's company and paying attention to each other a lot more for a while then that could be a good thing.

I guess the writers are trying to address a real life issue here, a lot of people do get married and can lose a bit of spark (though I am not sure I saw that with them) the bad thing would be for them to hold it in and not do anything about it. It looks to me that they are trying to take a proactive approach, not in the way I expected honestly as but I will wait and see what happens especially after.

Yeah I think once they have had their use out of it then they should just terminate it, Shamy don't have a RA any more as far as i'm aware but it did serve a purpose especially in their relationship early on. If Lenny get back on track then I see no reason why they will continue to use it, I hope if after a few episodes where we see them much happier and with some great storylines for them they just dissolve the agreement. It will have done its job.

Edited by Jonny

29 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

While your scenario is less awful, it'd still bug me if Lenny asked Sheldon to write a RA because that's just not who Leonard and Penny are to me. That's Shamy's thing, which isn't an attack on Shamy at all, it's just that I want Lenny to be Lenny. I want them to sit down and talk and not have some sort of contract. The thought of Leonard messing up and Penny throwing the RA in his face and going, "See? SEE??!" (or vice versa) makes me wanna throw up. It's just absolutely not who this couple is. This stuff works for Shamy perfectly because they're both very different people, which is GREAT! But that's just not Leonard and Penny. That's the part that bugs me. I'm hoping that this plays out much, much better on screen. But so far I'm absolutely dreading this episode.

From what I understand from the TR it's that Lenny do indeed sit down and talk, and asking Sheldon for help is the result of that talk. I personally also hope that it doesn't turn into "Penny has to throw the RA in Leonard's face to make him put on some pants" or whatever. But if it helps them and by extension the writers to get them back on track with better storylines (see @Jonny's post) then let's give it a try.

I mean, in the end of the day all three major couples got stuck for years in their own brand of unfunny running gags - Lenny are no exception. So now the writers are doing something about it. Shamy had their breakup arc to shake things up and improve their relationship massively, Howardette got a lot of their sweetness back due to the pregnancy/baby stuff. The RA might just be Lenny's chance to get back on track. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonny said:

If we get more storylines like them going out together to the cinema, perhaps for a nice romantic meal together and the RA commits them to spending more time in each other's company and paying attention to each other a lot more for a while then that could be a good thing.

That's exactly what bothers me. They shouldn't feel committed to do anything. They've married each other two times, so I don't understand why all of a sudden they reluctantly do stuff cause the RA says so. I agree that after years and years in a relationship you've got to work at it to keep it fresh and interesting. No argument from me. BUT: A simple conversation would do the trick. Like, "We haven't spent enough quality time together lately, let's change that". There. Done. No contracts necessary. I don't want them to have rules like, "Person A must ask Person B out on a date at least once a month". It's super unromantic and I hope that's not what happens.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I think it will be a short-term thing, perhaps get them back on track a bit and hopefully allow them to refocus their relationship and their commitment to each other. If we get more storylines like them going out together to the cinema, perhaps for a nice romantic meal together and the RA commits them to spending more time in each other's company and paying attention to each other a lot more for a while then that could be a good thing.

I guess the writers are trying to address a real life issue here, a lot of people do get married and can lose a bit of spark (though I am not sure I saw that with them) the bad thing would be for them to hold it in and not do anything about it. It looks to me that they are trying to take a proactive approach, not in the way I expected honestly as but I will wait and see what happens especially after.

Yeah I think once they have had their use out of it then they should just terminate it, Shamy don't have a RA any more as far as i'm aware but it did serve a purpose especially in their relationship early on. If Lenny get back on track then I see no reason why they will continue to use it, I hope if after a few episodes where we see them much happier and with some great storylines for them they just dissolve the agreement. It will have done its job.

I agree with you in some points. But, as @No Regrets already said: an RA also seems to me incompatible with Lenny! Even if the authors want to focus on Lenny’s life-related experiences, they will certainly not show them on-screen. This is certainly my sobering experience for a long time and seems to me to be the biggest problem for Lenny fans.

• Like 5

Personally i think if you have to write some kind of an agreement to make your relationship work Your relationship is in big trouble Working out your problems should come naturally with just some communication between partners

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I get your fears and concerns, I think these two or three episodes AFTER this one are absolutely KEY.

It feels very much like this development is a setting up storyline in that the writers have some Lenny storylines in mind tied to this. Otherwise what would be the point of this? I guess it's possible it could go nowhere, the Raj/Isabella storyline got me interested and absolutely nothing came from it but Lenny are two of the main characters so I would like to think the writers have something planned.

Going to reserve judgment until I see these next few episodes. If it turns out to be a bad storyline or a pointless one then I will be calling out the writers over it.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Again will have to see the episode because honestly this whole storyline came out of the blue, they didn't look that unhappy or had lost some major spark to me.

To me this feels like the writers only can/will write angst and drama to Lenny. There are no need for an episode like this for Lenny at all, and I agree with you that we will  have to wait and see.  

1 hour ago, veejay said:

I agree with you in some points. But, as @No Regrets already said: an RA also seems to me incompatible with Lenny! Even if the authors want to focus on Lenny’s life-related experiences, they will certainly not show them on-screen. This is certainly my sobering experience for a long time and seems to me to be the biggest problem for Lenny fans.

The only thing we can do is wait, but I honestly don't think that we will see more Lenny just because of this TR. 

Edited by Lagernisse
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I get your fears and concerns, I think these two or three episodes AFTER this one are absolutely KEY.

It feels very much like this development is a setting up storyline in that the writers have some Lenny storylines in mind tied to this. Otherwise what would be the point of this? I guess it's possible it could go nowhere, the Raj/Isabella storyline got me interested and absolutely nothing came from it but Lenny are two of the main characters so I would like to think the writers have something planned.

Going to reserve judgment until I see these next few episodes. If it turns out to be a bad storyline or a pointless one then I will be calling out the writers over it.

If this leads to more Lenny storylines where they focus on their relationship more then I'll be grateful for that. I won't like how they got there, but I'll be happy to see more of my beloved couple, definitely.

• Like 2

I'm not sure drama is exclusive to any one character or couple, they have all been through drama one time or another. This is very much a show about life and life just isn't rosy all the time. If I am to accept or acknowledge the good times I also have to accept and acknowledge the drama or rough times these characters go through as well.

@Lagernisse if you are right and the writers don't have some storylines focusing on their relationship, being together and doing stuff together after this then IMO they i.e. the writers have fucked up on this one.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

I'm not sure drama is exclusive to any one character or couple, they have all been through drama one time or another. This is very much a show about life and life just isn't rosy all the time. If I am to accept or acknowledge the good times I also have to accept and acknowledge the drama or rough times these characters go through as well.

Totally agree. And I might be in the minority, but I actually love some angst and drama as long as it doesn't involve character assassination. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Jonny said:

@Lagernisse if you are right and the writers don't have some storylines focusing on their relationship, being together and doing stuff together after this then IMO they i.e. the writers have fucked up on this one.

Just to make my self clear, I never wrote/mean that Lenny was the only couple that got drama plots, but this TR feels at moment to me as the season 8 finale all over again.

To me in the finale there were no need for this kiss confession from Leonard and the Shamy breakup as well wasn't necessary  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

[ -- SNIP -- ]

The impression I got from the TR is that THEY asked Sheldon to draw up a RA and it was based on what they wanted in it, Sheldon just typed it up and put it on paper.

IF the TR is correct and it plays out as we think then I think people are being way too harsh on Sheldon here. If your best friends come to you and ask you for help and knowing how close they are he is not exactly going to turn them down.

11 hours ago, April said:

From what I understand from the TR it's that Lenny do indeed sit down and talk, and asking Sheldon for help is the result of that talk.

[ -- SNIP -- ]

And there lies the problem! That Lenny even approach, discuss, conclude, agree to utilize a Relationship Agreement just shows how the writers have LOST the essence of Lenny and are NOT writing for them. A Relationship Agreement is the Shamy response to navigating relationships, not Lenny. If the writers had any clue left as to who Lenny are and cared about them at all, the conversation would have gone something like this:

~~ My Head Canon ~~

Penny: (to Leonard) 'Sweetie, I know that you have given me trips home for the holidays when I was too poor to afford it myself, you gave me a car when mine blew up so I could go auditions and pursue my acting dreams, and heck! I still don't know your birthday!'

Leonard: (looks solemn and nods in agreement)

Penny: But Sweetie, seeing you in your underwear playing video games really set me off. I think … I feel like … (voice breaks with a sob) you're neglecting me.

Leonard: Oh my, love! My cookie! My dearest darling! I would never, ever want you to feel that way! What can I do to make this right? (looks thoughtful) Hey! Here's a suggestion! Sheldon and Amy seem so happy and secure by writing down almost every contingency for their relationship, why don't we just do that?

Penny: (blinks and looked shocked) You mean we should draft a relationship agreement? Impulsive, carefree us, who burst into a room in heart covered panties and underwear on Valentine's Day throwing confetti around, bind the confines of our relationship with a contract? Us who gave Sheldon our sex painting?

Leonard: (looks at Penny sincerely, with a straight face) Yes. 

Penny: (stares at Leonard) Leonard, I regularly made fun of the Roommate and Relationship Agreements. And you suffered horribly when you were living with Sheldon. Your entire life was to just 'knuckle under'. You wanted to break it several times. 

Leonard: (still with straight face) And you did yourself, my brave dearest, when Sheldon banished you from the apartment. Remember that? Good times.

Penny: (stares at Leonard)

Leonard: Pffffft! Psych! (breaks into peals of laughter) I'm sorry! I just couldn't do it! I couldn't keep a straight face anymore! 

Penny: (laughing, holding hand over heart) Oh my, God! Leonard! You scared me! I thought you were serious! (laughing, punches Leonard on the arm)

Leonard: OK, so why don't we just go forward with a modified Beta Test again? We promise to tell each other what's wrong and not hold anything in until it gets too bad and suppurates.

Penny: (looks confused) Suppurates?

Leonard: Bad, infected. Kinds like pus.

Penny: (smiles and puts arms around Leonard's neck and pulls him close) Deal! And have I told you lately how much I love it when you talk smart? Let's do it. Now.

Leonard: (looks worried) Right in front of Aquaman?

Penny: Yep. Right in front of Aquaman.

(They fall to the sofa)

~~ End Head Canon ~~

Like it has been suggested, I agree. We should reserve judgment and see how it plays out.

But, for me, the larger issue is that a very non-Lenny action is now canon and has been served and dished out by the heavily Sheldon/Shamy invested TPTB. By Lenny entering a Relationship Agreement shows that they were not thinking of Lenny, they have totally disregarded how they have been written over the years, and they couldn't care enough to write a 'Lenny' solution to this drama they wanted to create. 

And too, like it has been suggested, maybe this will start a decent story arc for Lenny. But, as we have not gotten any since before Season Hate -- two and a half seasons ago -- I'm more skeptical than others. But we shall see. Fingers crossed.

• Like 8

I can appreciate the dislike of the RA but a Leonard Penny conversation would never sound like that. Penny bringing up not knowing his birthday and Leonard calling Penny my cookie were just a couple of lines they would never said. The fact of the matter is like it or not they both livedwith Sheldon under the RA. They could of moved out anytime. They didn't.

another problem  is they normally don't discuss with each other what's bothering them. Then when it comes out, like it appears in this episode, it seems out of nowhere. Their wedding for example. They could of planned on their own for over a year. They didn't and did a  spur of the moment thing. Obviously it wasn't  the best idea. Sheldon " helping"  doesn't sound like a great idea, but I would hate it more if the three were still living together.

Do you guys really think the writers will continue with this Lenny storyline after this episode? Because I don't. I mean most of Lenny's conflicts, they are a one-episode thing. Their financial problem in season 8, Leonard kissing Mandy (technically it's not a one-episode thing, but it was resolved pretty quickly), Penny talking to the shrink, financial problem in season 9, it seems to me the writers like to write unnecessary conflicts for couples and resolve them in a rush or sometimes they just leave it there.

But I guess we'll have to wait and watch the episode on screen.

3 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Do you guys really think the writers will continue with this Lenny storyline after this episode? Because I don't. I mean most of Lenny's conflicts, they are a one-episode thing. Their financial problem in season 8, Leonard kissing Mandy (technically it's not a one-episode thing, but it was resolved pretty quickly), Penny talking to the shrink, financial problem in season 9, it seems to me the writers like to write unnecessary conflicts for couples and resolve them in a rush or sometimes they just leave it there.

But I guess we'll have to wait and watch the episode on screen.

I think us Lenny fans think we are owed a longer storyline. We are tired of being like dogs looking for scraps of food off the floor.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

Penny: (blinks and looked shocked) You mean we should draft a relationship agreement? Impulsive, carefree us, who burst into a room in heart covered panties and underwear on Valentine's Day throwing confetti around, bind the confines of our relationship with a contract? Us who gave Sheldon our sex painting?

It's a piece of paper and they're probably just gonna use it as some kind of guideline. So Leonard might have neglected Penny a little and he probably didn't even notice he did because they just got so comfortable with each other over the last two years. Now that he has that agreement in the back of his head, I'm sure things will get a lot better and he'll remember to romance her ass off once in a while (and vice versa, that's gonna be interesting). Not a big deal. I look at it kind of like a chore chart, lol. That sounds incredibly disrespectful, but I didn't mean it that way. You get the gist.

If anything, I doubt we'll ever hear about that agreement again. Let's just remember we're talking about The Big Bang Theory here. Continuity is not one their strengths. I stopped counting how many times I've said: "They can't just drop something like this". But they did. And with this agreement, I feel like they can easily drop it if they want to.

23 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Do you guys really think the writers will continue with this Lenny storyline after this episode?

Not really, no.