The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 10 Shipping Lanes

19 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

Now all the examples I've given can be interpreted a myriad of ways. I know. I remember the lengthy and in depth conversations and dissections we've had after every single one. But, for me, all this amounts to is one very ugly thing and persistent thing: Shenny fan service.

You’re right. But I think there’s always a serious statement:

shen_063.gif

This entire Shenny-thing is simply ridiculous. :icon_neutral:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, veejay said:

You’re right. But I think there’s always a serious statement:

shen_063.gif

This entire Shenny-thing is simply ridiculous. :icon_neutral:

It doesn't make sense.  5Mississippis is right though.  A bone that someone feels needs to be constantly thrown in that direction.  The fact that he insults her, just as he does most other people (except Raj for some reason) is mind boggling.  And not just insults; he does everything but call her a slut. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, A.D.A. said:

Ts, ts, so little tolerance for the non-canon pairings around here. Shelnard is totally the way to go! And concerning the Shenny kiss, I think most people probably don't take it as seriously as we sometimes do (including the writers). It was just a funny thing to film because the squabbling mismatched pair is, after all, a staple of romantic comendy as well, and hell, they could've gone that way in the first two seasons, although it was always more likely that Penny and Leonard would end up together as your typical will-they-won't-they pair. The networks had a catchy scene for the adverts and the actors looked like they had fun with it, too. And if a Shenny or two liked it, oh dear, well I don't think that will magically morph the last six seasons into Shenny, so it's really not a threat.

But of course, we might all end up moved to the the Shipping Lanes if we continue like this.

Your post is too chill, well reasoned and balanced for this thread. I cant help but agree with you :shy: 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

It doesn't make sense.  5Mississippis is right though.  A bone that someone feels needs to be constantly thrown in that direction.  The fact that he insults her, just as he does most other people (except Raj for some reason) is mind boggling.  And not just insults; he does everything but call her a slut. 

Ok, who takes the bazooka or something?

o_00017.gif

• Like 2

Ah shucks! Even if this "husband" line is Sh***y fan service. Everything else is Lenny fan service at its best, because:

On 31.8.2016 at 9:19 AM, heres2U said:

Penny and Leonard were very sweet together.  Showed so much love towards each other in all their scenes.  They are in a great place.

And I trust @heres2U's words. :shy:

Edited by luminous
  • Like 1

Lol sorry I have always chuckled, and laughed when I think about Shenny. IT is the most harmless, non threatning thing in the world They just offer each other nothing in a romantic parter.  The kiss diddn't bother me, I am a huge Lenny, and I diddn't think it was gross. J and K are good looking ppl, why should it? It is a dream sequence, 2 Shennys going omg omg omg omg lol, does not mean much. I think ppl take it to seriousley. They looked like they had fun. It is such a mismatched pair,  I diddn't flip tables, I just laughed.  Everyone knows it is absurd, that is where the comedy comes from. But that is just how I see it. Was a bit stupid to suggest Leonard has a subconcious fear of Sheldon and Penny's friendship. Where up to now only Amy had. But it was one of those stupid things show did. Nothing ever changes by the end of the episode anyway. It is like their hug in the 200th, I had no issue she has known the guy what ten years?  I don't thin Lenny are typical haha, but they are kinda Atypical on the show I suspose. And from what I've seen shamy coitus is the most watched video, not that kiss. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

TBF I agree their has been Shenny fanservice the past two years. And their has been times like Karen mentioned. But funny never occured to me that makes Lenny look bad or Leonard, until brought up here. I just think they are little jokes, and little things show does to appease a certain segment of the audience. I don't think were or hardcore shippers are the target audience here. They are targeting casuals who are coming home and want a laugh. And to them Sheldon hugging Lenny, and Bernadette's line is funny. And maybe a big part of the audience watching well find it funny. Clearly Hardcores who are at a fansite well not. But like I Said I don't think were the target audience. I guess it always translates differently on tv. It would of been better if Lenny kissed. But I guess, rule 101 always be funny, from their pov, they went for the most funniest. 

Shenny?  I can see why there are those that ship them because it is so completely out there.  Of course, the show has really gone out of it's way to hammer home the mom/son-brother/sister vibe of these two.  But much like the Chlois theories back in the Smallville days, I hope fans aren't terribly disappointed when it doesn't pan out.

Me:  I struggle with the Shamy I see on screen.  Horny Sheldon, secret makeout and or coitus sessions--thus far if I am to believe what I see; Amy wants it and Sheldon don't get it or worse yet ignores it. 

I suppose much like the Leonard boat kiss the show could create a new history at any time but so far, I am just not sold that Amy has been getting any since that night.  There is just so much I hated, loathed about the breakup and it all leading to coitus...I just don't care anymore about it.  I can't even watch the re-runs and appreciate the Shamy.  Ugh!  Venting...carry on...carry on!!

FWIW, I was never anti-coitus.  I just would have appreciated a story line that they decided to try to coitus on their terms.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Denise07 said:

Shenny?  I can see why there are those that ship them because it is so completely out there.  Of course, the show has really gone out of it's way to hammer home the mom/son-brother/sister vibe of these two.  But much like the Chlois theories back in the Smallville days, I hope fans aren't terribly disappointed when it doesn't pan out.

Me:  I struggle with the Shamy I see on screen.  Horny Sheldon, secret makeout and or coitus sessions--thus far if I am to believe what I see; Amy wants it and Sheldon don't get it or worse yet ignores it. 

I suppose much like the Leonard boat kiss the show could create a new history at any time but so far, I am just not sold that Amy has been getting any since that night.  There is just so much I hated, loathed about the breakup and it all leading to coitus...I just don't care anymore about it.  I can't even watch the re-runs and appreciate the Shamy.  Ugh!  Venting...carry on...carry on!!

FWIW, I was never anti-coitus.  I just would have appreciated a story line that they decided to try to coitus on their terms.

I feel you. I don't understand how people still believe Shamy have been doing secretly all this time offscreen...I think it's pretty obvious that the writers used 917 and 919 to tell us Sheldon can't take the hint/doesn't have the interest when Amy suggests sex. Of course maybe in the future if the writers can't figure out a way to explain the Shamy coitus situation, they may use "oh Shamy have been doing secretly all this time" as an excuse, but that'll be some pretty bad writing IMO.

As to the whole breakup-coitus situation, I so agree. I would feel so much better if at the end of 910, as they kiss, things get a little intense, and one thing leads to another. Maybe Sheldon panics so they don't go all the way (we all know how much he values preparation) . And then in 911, after some preparation (like asking Penny for sex tips etc) Sheldon decides to have coitus with Amy. Because this way I can tell for sure that Sheldon wants to do it.

A lot of people argue that in 911 Sheldon "wants" to do it. Yes, indeed. Nobody forced him to have sex with Amy or dragged him to the bedroom. But there's a difference between "I want to have sex with Amy because I have desire for her and I am prepared" and "I will have sex with Amy because our breakup teaches me that I have to sacrifice something in order to keep her around". I can only see the latter in 911 and I'm sorry that's just gross. I cannot believe after all these years this is the route the writers chose to go on the subject of coitus.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I feel you. I don't understand how people still believe Shamy have been doing secretly all this time offscreen...I think it's pretty obvious that the writers used 917 and 919 to tell us Sheldon can't take the hint/doesn't have the interest when Amy suggests sex. Of course maybe in the future if the writers can't figure out a way to explain the Shamy coitus situation, they may use "oh Shamy have been doing secretly all this time" as an excuse, but that'll be some pretty bad writing IMO.

As to the whole breakup-coitus situation, I so agree. I would feel so much better if at the end of 910, as they kiss, things get a little intense, and one thing leads to another. Maybe Sheldon panics so they don't go all the way (we all know how much he values preparation) . And then in 911, after some preparation (like asking Penny for sex tips etc) Sheldon decides to have coitus with Amy. Because this way I can tell for sure that Sheldon wants to do it.

A lot of people argue that in 911 Sheldon "wants" to do it. Yes, indeed. Nobody forced him to have sex with Amy or dragged him to the bedroom. But there's a difference between "I want to have sex with Amy because I have desire for her and I am prepared" and "I will have sex with Amy because our breakup teaches me that I have to sacrifice something in order to keep her around". I can only see the latter in 911 and I'm sorry that's just gross. I cannot believe after all these years this is the route the writers chose to go on the subject of coitus.

Totally agree.  Part of me wants to believe Amy's line about when Bernie talking about how one thing can lead to another with your man and Amy excitedly said she can relate.  In my head I was hoping that meant off screen canoodling, but sadly no real evidence yet!

From what I recall, in terms of cannon. I don't think their is any evidence to suggest Shamy did it more then that one time. I Think Amy was just excited she can now join in the conversation about getting with a guy hahaha. But the whole on your birthday thing is stupid. Either Shamy are going to have a physical relationship or they are not. All these conditions just complicate things. And I kinda agree, the whole coitus. Felt like Sheldon was compromising a part of himself, to make Amy happy. IT felt rushed to me. 

• Like 1

The writers have screwed over all the couples so far, so their treatment of Shamy didn't surprise me. It was a lot of screen time wasted on a badly written arc. 

LOL @Denise07 re: Chlois theory on Smallville. I remember the writers outright laughing at that over the years, yet those fans still believed it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, No Regrets said:

The writers have screwed over all the couples so far, so their treatment of Shamy didn't surprise me. It was a lot of screen time wasted on a badly written arc. 

We still watched - so as far as the product's objective goes -  "Mission accomplished!"

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

From what I recall, in terms of cannon. I don't think their is any evidence to suggest Shamy did it more then that one time. I Think Amy was just excited she can now join in the conversation about getting with a guy hahaha. But the whole on your birthday thing is stupid. Either Shamy are going to have a physical relationship or they are not. All these conditions just complicate things. And I kinda agree, the whole coitus. Felt like Sheldon was compromising a part of himself, to make Amy happy. IT felt rushed to me. 

They keep showing he doesn't care much about sex, even if he can execute when he feels like it. I believe them - he doesn't really feel it. I don't think it's rushed. I think the event was an outlier. He is not as others.  I'm just following what they are patently telling me. And no, they don't really have a lot off love/ room on centre stage for the supporting cast.

So I have no comments on the latest TR (actually I have a lot of them but don't want to kill the joy of other members) except for Sheldon's sexuality.

So, as revealed in the latest TR, Sheldon's not asexual, nor is he demisexual, and of course he's not Amysexual.

We now know that he's just a normal guy, whose sexual desire has lately been developed. Now he can be turned on by any hot body. Yet he still finds Amy staring at him troubling while he can just sit and comment on hot girls by the street. Also, he said he was worrying that he may cheat on Amy.

Now, combine all these things together.

Sheldon had no desire for Amy when they first had coitus, he did that out of love/obligation as a boyfriend or whatever.  After living together for a while, his sexual desire has been developed (by Amy?). Yet, he still doesn't want to have sex with Amy. Meanwhile, he finds other girls attractive, physically, so much so that he was afraid that he might cheat on Amy.

Am I right to assume that Sheldon doesn't find Amy sexually attractive enough to make him want to have sex with her. He wants to have sex with hot girls.

'Cause like, WTF???!!! 

Could anyone please, please explain to me this episode?

10 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

So I have no comments on the latest TR (actually I have a lot of them but don't want to kill the joy of other members) except for Sheldon's sexuality.

So, as revealed in the latest TR, Sheldon's not asexual, nor is he demisexual, and of course he's not Amysexual.

We now know that he's just a normal guy, whose sexual desire has lately been developed. Now he can be turned on by any hot body. Yet he still finds Amy staring at him troubling while he can just sit and comment on hot girls by the street. Also, he said he was worrying that he may cheat on Amy.

Now, combine all these things together.

Sheldon had no desire for Amy when they first had coitus, he did that out of love/obligation as a boyfriend or whatever.  After living together for a while, his sexual desire has been developed (by Amy?). Yet, he still doesn't want to have sex with Amy. Meanwhile, he finds other girls attractive, physically, so much so that he was afraid that he might cheat on Amy.

Am I right to assume that Sheldon doesn't find Amy sexually attractive enough to make him want to have sex with her. He wants to have sex with hot girls.

'Cause like, WTF???!!! 

Could anyone please, please explain to me this episode?

To clarify one point - Sheldon told Penny the story about his father because he is afraid that he will hurt Amy in the future, because he will turn out to be like his father.  That is why Sheldon is bickering with her, because that is what his parents were like.  He is afraid he will end up hurting Amy.  Penny tells him to stop worrying about hurting Amy in the future, and to stop hurting Amy now.  

Sheldon has a lot of baggage from his childhood, and the writers are developing that some more.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lady in Red said:

To clarify one point - Sheldon told Penny the story about his father because he is afraid that he will hurt Amy in the future, because he will turn out to be like his father.  That is why Sheldon is bickering with her, because that is what his parents were like.  He is afraid he will end up hurting Amy.  Penny tells him to stop worrying about hurting Amy in the future, and to stop hurting Amy now.  

Sheldon has a lot of baggage from his childhood, and the writers are developing that some more.  

Thanks you.

3 hours ago, Listgirl said:

One other thought, I see the Lenny shippers are concerned that Lenny's story line is on the back seat these days as they help out Shamy, but for years was front and centre with Shamy shippers fed tiny scraps. Seems to me the tables are turned for now and maybe all's fair in love and shipping. 

Hi Listgirl,

do you have any examples of this?  

Season four was more about Shamy than Lenny.  Shamy was together, Lenny was not

Season five was pretty much the same (except for those two episodes where Lenny got back together).

Season six had a major Lenny plot or scene in about 66-75% of the shows, but Shamy had a major plot or scene in between 50-66% of the shows, hardly scraps.  

Season seven was about equal.

Season eight was very little Lenny and more Shamy.  Shamy had double the screen time of Lenny and in fact Shenny had within 30 seconds of the screen time Lenny had.  Seems like Lenny got scraps.  

Season nine was just about all Shamy in the first 11 episodes, with a few Lenny plots thrown in and more equal in the last part.

I was just wondering what you were basing your claim of Lenny being front and center and Shamy getting scraps. 

• Like 6

On 20/09/2016 at 10:37 PM, Lady in Red said:

We have heard about the baggage before:

• Like 1

On 21 September 2016 at 8:13 PM, Tensor said:

Hi Listgirl,

do you have any examples of this?  

Season four was more about Shamy than Lenny.  Shamy was together, Lenny was not

Season five was pretty much the same (except for those two episodes where Lenny got back together).

Season six had a major Lenny plot or scene in about 66-75% of the shows, but Shamy had a major plot or scene in between 50-66% of the shows, hardly scraps.  

Season seven was about equal.

Season eight was very little Lenny and more Shamy.  Shamy had double the screen time of Lenny and in fact Shenny had within 30 seconds of the screen time Lenny had.  Seems like Lenny got scraps.  

Season nine was just about all Shamy in the first 11 episodes, with a few Lenny plots thrown in and more equal in the last part.

I was just wondering what you were basing your claim of Lenny being front and center and Shamy getting scraps. 

How about season 1-4 ( OK mainly Sheldon rather than Shamy but still.). 

4 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

How about season 1-4 ( OK mainly Sheldon rather than Shamy but still.). 

Well, I mentioned four.  Leonard and Penny were broken up.  Leonard and Priya were together.   Sheldon and Amy grew closer.  

1 minute ago, Tensor said:

Well, I mentioned four.  Leonard and Penny were broken up.  Leonard and Priya were together.   Sheldon and Amy grew closer.  

My point is, if you start from the beginning,  the impression you get is that the Lenny story arc starts in Season 1 and of course the Shamy story arc starts in season 4 essentially. In terms of the overall effort given to telling Lenny's story we have had 9 years of it. It's been great to watch and now they have even had 2 weddings. The arc is definitely nearly over if you want them to stay together.  (Penny's job is the angsty thing on the horizon potentially). 

Clearly the Shamy saga is still in full swing with the show nearing the end of it's run. A lot of the comedy is generated with the interactions between the top three so contrivances to keep them all interacting, on evidence, is still key to the writers. I love Lenny but their more supportive role at the moment is providing comedy as Shamy get a grip and provides a foil against too much sappiness. I wish the writers could think up more genuine science-y comedy to cut down on the couple -y stuff but it feels like that well is running dry too. However I digress from the main point. Sheldon in particular has circled round and antagonised Lenny for years, so perhaps it's ok the tables more recently have turned. I haven't done the stats so I suspect the episode count per couple might not produce the same results as my impression. But I have watched the lot so I can hopefully defend my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

My point is, if you start from the beginning,  the impression you get is that the Lenny story arc starts in Season 1 and of course the Shamy story arc starts in season 4 essentially. In terms of the overall effort given to telling Lenny's story we have had 9 years of it. It's been great to watch and now they have even had 2 weddings. The arc is definitely nearly over if you want them to stay together.  (Penny's job is the angsty thing on the horizon potentially). 

Sheldon in particular has circled round and antagonised Lenny for years, so perhaps it's ok the tables more recently have turned. I haven't done the stats so I suspect the episode count per couple might not produce the same results as my impression. But I have watched the lot so I can hopefully defend my opinion. 

Yeah, due to circumstances beyond my control,  there are times when I can't do much of anything except watch TV and play on the computer.  I did the stats, for seasons 6, 7 and 8. I haven't for season four and five, but since Lenny was broken up for a year and a half, of those two years, there weren't that many scenes between the two of them. In 6, 7, and 8, screen time wise, Shamy has had more screen time and plots than Lenny.  Go really look at season 8, and watch how much time Lenny are doing nothing more than standing behind the island (or the counter at Amy's).  You aren't the only one who gets that impression, that's partially why I've gone back and timed it.   And you are right, when you time it (or go by plots or major scenes) there isn't really support for saying Lenny has had more attention paid to them.  

If you want to keep that impression, its fine, just letting you know that the actual time and number of plots really don't support it.  

• Like 4

In reality all that is left is a Shamy wedding ,a Lenny baby and living arrangements. So I think both arcs are pretty much done after that.

• Like 5

Don't forget Leonard has spent a lot of time in the past obsessing over Penny and this has driven plot lines in episodes where Lenny are not necessarily together doing couple-y stuff increasing the sense of 'Lenny talk'. Sheldon by his very nature has tried and is still trying to resist, to some extent, the couple-y stuff. The behemoth of shifting his mind set has turned into the main comic motive for the show, relationships wise, rather than the original relationship plot line; Leonard's crush/lust/love for Penny and whether he can convince her to be with him.  For the longest time it really did feel like, even with some excellent interactions between Shamy, the prospect of an actual recognisable relationship between the two was never really going to happen and perhaps that would have made more interesting TV, but if they solidified the Lenny situation then the 'will they won't they' storyline was going to have to be directed elsewhere.  I appreciate the frustration Lenny shippers have at the moment but relationship wise, as I have already said, where-else is there to go. In Friends Monica and Chandler had to have that adoption story line to give them something to do and they too spent a lot of time at the kitchen table. I'm sure you don't need me to point out that happy TV couples rarely make for 1st class comedy. So if you don't want angst between them, for now,  you have the island unit instead, but then given the amount they are paid it does all seem a bit lame.   

What's is more baffling is why they married off Howard so early. An attempt to hang onto Melissa? I miss his crude, lewd comedy and I suspect it would have given Raj better storylines if Howard was still available from time to time. 

Edited by Listgirl

I see it this way, the past four seasons Shamy have hd a main coruse meal, a high quality cusine mel for foue years now. They have been the entire show. They have NEVER had tibits not once. Lenny all they have had since S4, is tibits. IT is like have been given apetizers, those little small things you eat before dinner arrives. Then they get that taken away from them, and given to Shamy :icon_cheesygrin:.. IMO though the main change in the show has been the shift away from Lenny being the main couple. Shifting the focus from them around 6x24, has changed the premise for me.  But yeah i think it is one think to feel sympathy. But then coincide that with the tables have tuned muhahaha lol. Yeah a bit condesending tbh. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1