Tripper

[Spoilers] Non-Season 10 Show Discussion

381 posts in this topic

Posted

1 hour ago, Anita said:

I don't remember the episode well but both of them were drinking wine right? Why are we assuming raj was sober and making rational choices? Just because he remembers and she doesn't? Yo can be drunk and and not blackout . At the time the episode aired my impression was two friends making the wrong choice in a drunken state.  

We aren't assuming Raj was sober, it would be a case of who was less impaired.      In cases where both are impaired, California law requires an investigation, and tries to determine who was more impaired and when.  In this case while it is probably both were impaired, under California law, Raj was the least impaired (based on blackouts not happening until the BAC was over 0.20.  Since Penny blacked out, and Raj didn't.  She was over 0.20 and he wasn't) and more than likely would have been held responsible.  Whether that is right, or wrong or whatever is beside the point.  I was just pointing out what the actual legalities were.  Now the fact that neither reported it, guaranteed there wouldn't be an investigation.  

JE7 likes this

Posted

Uniform Code of Military Justice:  "Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense."

Carry on.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cloud Strife said:

Exactly. Why people are blaming Raj for all this is beyond me. It was obviously a mutual thing.

Disagreed.

I'm not sure we can says it's an obviously mutual or not. Either case IMO can't be proven. 

As least to me you would have to go by what was said:

Penny- while still in the living room in 4.24 she told him she screwed up breaking up with Leonard. When she woke up in bed, and this is open up to interpretation, she realized that she was Leonard's bed and was sort of smiling. That looked changed when she saw Raj next to her. Penny told Raj not to tell anyone what had happened. Again my interpretation is she was embarrassed what happened. This seemed to be confirmed in 5.01 when Penny told Raj him at Amy's apartment sleeping together was a mistake. Later in 4a she apologized to the guys.

Raj- the only thing in 4.24 that was open to interpretation is if after Penny confession that she shouldn't broken up with Leonard did Raj know Priya was going back to India . JMO  it make him look worse if he knew but certainly he still  doesn't look good. In 5.01 he tells the guys basically that Penny and him are a couple. A bit of a stretch IMO since he knows she was drunk. Then he asks her out on a date which she turns saying she just wants to be friends with him. At the end in 4a Raj says it was a mutual decision to end their romance. Obviously by what was seen earlier that wasn't true.

Getting back to if what happened (or didn't happen) it just seems that Raj wanted this to happen more than Penny. There's more evidence it wasnt a mutual thing but again there is no proof that we actually saw either way.

Edited by Chrismo
Mario D. and JE7 like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

based on blackouts not happening until the BAC was over 0.20.  Since Penny blacked out, and Raj didn't.  She was over 0.20 and he wasn't

I seem to recall reading someplace that blackouts occur because of the rate of change in BAC rather than the level.

A rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is most consistently associated with the likelihood of a blackout. However, not all subjects experience blackouts, implying that genetic factors play a role in determining CNS vulnerability to the effects of alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800062/

Edited by djsurrey

Posted

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I seem to recall reading someplace that blackouts occur because of the rate of change in BAC rather than the level.

A rapid increase in blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is most consistently associated with the likelihood of a blackout. However, not all subjects experience blackouts, implying that genetic factors play a role in determining CNS vulnerability to the effects of alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800062/

According to the body of the article you linked, it's not just how rapidly, but how much.  Also, this article also suggest a greater amount, with rapid ingesting making blackouts more likely.   You could consume two shots back to back, but if that's all you drink, the chances of a blackout aren't all that likely.   It appears  a rapid increase, either to over 0.20 or after already over  0.20 are requirements for blackout.  

From some of the other papers, it appears that Blackouts are symtomatic of early alcoholism.  Considering how they started implying Penny was drinking heavily during season four, she could have been in the early stages, thus making it more likely she would have blackouts.   

JE7 and legacy99 like this

Posted (edited)

Funny thing, in "The Creepy Candy Coating" Penny says that when she was a kid she and her friend made a pact to marry Bert and Ernie but it didn't work because they both wanted Ernie. In "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" she says Sheldon and Leonard are like Bert and Ernie, and it is pretty clear who is Ernie in this comparison. So Penny did end up getting her Ernie :icon_biggrin:

(Things you notice when you're somewhat sick...)

Edited by bfm

Posted

40 minutes ago, bfm said:

Funny thing, in "The Creepy Candy Coating" Penny says that when she was a kid she and her friend made a pact to marry Bert and Ernie but it didn't work because they both wanted Ernie. In "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" she says Sheldon and Leonard are like Bert and Ernie, and it is pretty clear who is Ernie in this comparison. So Penny did end up getting her Ernie :icon_biggrin:

(Things you notice when you're somewhat sick...)

There's no need to guess, she specifically called Leonard "Ernie".

Posted

54 minutes ago, Cloud Strife said:

There's no need to guess, she specifically called Leonard "Ernie".

Thanks for the reminder :) I have a good memory but it is not eidetic haha I watched "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation" a few weeks ago. 

Posted

Saw an article on the BBC this morning that said there could be another Writers Strike on the horizon, with shows affected including this one potentially:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39513623

Don't know much detail about it or how badly show's were affected the last time there was one. I guess it depends on how long it drags out should a strike happen? Presumably delays in between seasons could occur if any part of the creative process is delayed?

amethyst, mirs1, spidergirl and 2 others like this

Posted

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Saw an article on the BBC this morning that said there could be another Writers Strike on the horizon, with shows affected including this one potentially:

Don't know much detail about it or how badly show's were affected the last time there was one. I guess it depends on how long it drags out should a strike happen? Presumably delays in between seasons could occur if any part of the creative process is delayed?

It has the possibility to be both better and worse than last time.  The last writers strike was in the middle of the season(that's why the show only has 17 episodes the first season).  This time, the strike, if there is one, would come after the season is over. If the strike runs for a while, it has the possibility to interfere with the beginning of next year. 

It could be worse, because the two sides seem to be dug, on what the want, so that could mean a longer strike.

In some ways, the strike helped the show last time.  The first eight episodes were reran several times, giving more people a chance to see it. Also, half hour multi cam comedies were able to start production faster, due to the way they are taped, which meant they were among the first shows to get new content on the screen. 

Posted

40 minutes ago, Tensor said:

It has the possibility to be both better and worse than last time.  The last writers strike was in the middle of the season(that's why the show only has 17 episodes the first season).  This time, the strike, if there is one, would come after the season is over. If the strike runs for a while, it has the possibility to interfere with the beginning of next year. 

It could be worse, because the two sides seem to be dug, on what the want, so that could mean a longer strike.

In some ways, the strike helped the show last time.  The first eight episodes were reran several times, giving more people a chance to see it. Also, half hour multi cam comedies were able to start production faster, due to the way they are taped, which meant they were among the first shows to get new content on the screen. 

As ever thanks for the insight on matters like this Tensor! :)

This news/potential developments makes me want there to be no major cliffhangers in the season finale even more! Imagine if there is something major and the Season 11 start gets delayed! We will already be going mad wanting to know the outcome of anything with the already exisiting hiatus time-frame lol

April, bfm, mirs1 and 2 others like this

Posted

An earlier strike than last time's resulted in the sale of British scripts to American companies. The funny thing was, some of them were sold back to British channels when broadcasting hours increased. :)

Posted

Couldn't they get replacements writers? There's people on this thread IMO that could write better than TBBT's.

serena_1995 and bfm like this

Posted

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

I just hope the writers don't get so disgruntled they write unfortunate scripts. Who remembers Fallon Carrington going up in a flying saucer ?

Jonny likes this

Posted

On 4/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, Chrismo said:

I'm not sure we can says it's an obviously mutual or not. Either case IMO can't be proven. 

As least to me you would have to go by what was said:

Penny- while still in the living room in 4.24 she told him she screwed up breaking up with Leonard. When she woke up in bed, and this is open up to interpretation, she realized that she was Leonard's bed and was sort of smiling. That looked changed when she saw Raj next to her. Penny told Raj not to tell anyone what had happened. Again my interpretation is she was embarrassed what happened. This seemed to be confirmed in 5.01 when Penny told Raj him at Amy's apartment sleeping together was a mistake. Later in 4a she apologized to the guys.

Raj- the only thing in 4.24 that was open to interpretation is if after Penny confession that she shouldn't broken up with Leonard did Raj know Priya was going back to India . JMO  it make him look worse if he knew but certainly he still  doesn't look good. In 5.01 he tells the guys basically that Penny and him are a couple. A bit of a stretch IMO since he knows she was drunk. Then he asks her out on a date which she turns saying she just wants to be friends with him. At the end in 4a Raj says it was a mutual decision to end their romance. Obviously by what was seen earlier that wasn't true.

Getting back to if what happened (or didn't happen) it just seems that Raj wanted this to happen more than Penny. There's more evidence it wasnt a mutual thing but again there is no proof that we actually saw either way.

It is true we do not know what actually happened only what Raj has confessed. But I agree I don't believe he would confess that he ejaculated too early and not be embarrassed by it. What I don't get is if he asked Penny to not say anything about his premature ejaculation he seemed to bring the subject up about how he "bedded" Penny numerous times stating " remember that naked night we spent together"  It seems this will always be a sore spot  for Leonard.

joyceraye likes this

Posted

3 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

It is true we do not know what actually happened only what Raj has confessed. But I agree I don't believe he would confess that he ejaculated too early and not be embarrassed by it. What I don't get is if he asked Penny to not say anything about his premature ejaculation he seemed to bring the subject up about how he "bedded" Penny numerous times stating " remember that naked night we spent together"  It seems this will always be a sore spot  for Leonard.

Definately a sore spot for Leonard when someone announces he has seen your WIFE naked.  Not cool Raj; not cool writers!

Mario D. and joyceraye like this

Posted

I've just watched an edition of 'Horizon' on BBC2 . In it, neuroscientists at Caltech had opened someone's head and attached things to his brain  in order for him to manipulate a robot arm. I reluctantly had to add,and I have to say it took me a couple of minutes, the words ' if they were real people' to my first reaction, which was, 'Amy and Howard must be working with these blokes.'.      

Posted

19 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Definately a sore spot for Leonard when someone announces he has seen your WIFE naked.  Not cool Raj; not cool writers!

And this is exactly why I could not understand the plotline of Raj moving into Sheldon's old room. This had to be uncomfortable for Leonard and then the episode where Penny and Raj were doing things together really had to hit home.  This was just ridiculouus in my mind.

bfm, hokie3457, Capt. Hilts and 1 other like this

Posted

31 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

And this is exactly why I could not understand the plotline of Raj moving into Sheldon's old room. This had to be uncomfortable for Leonard and then the episode where Penny and Raj were doing things together really had to hit home.  This was just ridiculouus in my mind.

It was an odd plotline that went nowhere and (to me) served no purpose at all...

Mario D. likes this

Posted

51 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

A dreadful plotline in so many ways.

hokie3457, Mario D. and JohnPhD like this

Posted

I have been reconsidering  whether lenny actually belong in each other’s lives at all for some time.Tptp have been putting it out there that things aren’t going well in L/P relationship for a while now. Hence why they generally use their friends as buffers, since they can’t stand being together alone. sounds familiar, why try to convince each other that there are in a good place If the smallest of things sets them off on a regular basis, there’s probably isn't much love left in the relationship. Being argumentative and defensive for no reason shows not on the same page and probably better off going their separate ways. There can’t be a bigger red flag than that to inform the viewers that this relationship is going nowhere in S11 or 12.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Posted

5 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

I have been reconsidering  whether lenny actually belong in each other’s lives at all for some time.Tptp have been putting it out there that things aren’t going well in L/P relationship for a while now. Hence why they generally use their friends as buffers, since they can’t stand being together alone. sounds familiar, why try to convince each other that there are in a good place If the smallest of things sets them off on a regular basis, there’s probably isn't much love left in the relationship. Being argumentative and defensive for no reason shows not on the same page and probably better off going their separate ways. There can’t be a bigger red flag than that to inform the viewers that this relationship is going nowhere in S11 or 12.

I hear ya but I cannot believe that tptb can actually break them up after 10 yrs and a very long winding journey.  Yes, they might have more rocky road ahead but ultimately their marriage will survive.  I think  S10, Ep 22 shows that it can be done.

Posted

8 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

To be honest, with the way Lenny has been written lately ,I really wouldn't be surprised it Tptb decides to break Lenny up and Raj and Sheldon tells Leonard that they were right all the time. 

Posted

6 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I hear ya but I cannot believe that tptb can actually break them up after 10 yrs and a very long winding journey.  Yes, they might have more rocky road ahead but ultimately their marriage will survive.  I think  S10, Ep 22 shows that it can be done.

Every day is better than their first night. They are willing to forgive and look past the flaws so I'd expect them to continue to find a way.