The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-9 Episode Tournament

19 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Can I ask what the point of a Tournament Poll where you can vote multiple times is? 

If you use the same device, you actually can't, every time I check the poll to see the partial result I got a "Your vote has been casted; see you for the next round on August.."

• Like 1

I'd think lots of people use multiple devices in multiple locations. One has to be logged in to vote I am guessing. The system appears to log activities so the administrator should be able to check if people are voting more than once.

19 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I'd think lots of people use multiple devices in multiple locations. One has to be logged in to vote I am guessing. The system appears to log activities so the administrator should be able to check if people are voting more than once.

You don't need to be a member of the forum to vote.

• Like 1

The system appears to know I have voted if I use any of my devices at home. Not if go to a different location and want to look at the vote count. I'm not voting more than once in anycase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, djsurrey said:

It uses cookies, not a log in so you can just use a TOR browser and voila! as many votes as you want. :icon_neutral:

• Like 2

Thats why i never vote for anything on this forum. All you have to do is clear your browsing history. Its so flawed and too many loopholes.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Thats why i never vote for anything on this forum. All you have to do is clear your browsing history. Its so flawed and too many loopholes.

True but based on the same logic. You can vote multiple times for any episode. So I don't buy its flawed logic. Although I do agree their are loopholes you can take advantage of. I mean their was only 3 votes between 43 Pec and Justice League. Now Justice League has a 30 vote lead lol. Come on theirs clearly some multiple voting going on their. 

Is that maybe why some episodes are winning by a large margin? Because ppl found a loophole? I don't know. Because Earworm has like 191 votes. I don't think the episode is worth 191 votes lol. As it is I only voted once. And I am gathering most of us here did too. But that is like what 10 ppl. Their is alot of other people like 80% more of people who maybe voting twice, or multiple times. 

Edited by 3ku11

Well justice league won the final battle. Whether or not it won by about 30 votes, because of the whole multiple voting. But anyway. 

Yeah the Justice League episode was pretty funny though. I mean Zack as superman I loved it! And Zack is always fun! And I also loved the milk duds *LOL* 

Yeah Justice League always a fav of mine. Zac is my fav guest star from this show. And the only guy who is one of Penny's ex. Who you can bring back, because he is so harmless. But I voted 43 Pec, thought it was technically a better episode. But Justice League won, which I have no problem with. Interesting now its top 8 now. 

Just to see if it would let me, I was able to vote twice on one round from the same device from two different "sites."  So yeah, it is rigged when your capable of voting more than once so I don't bother anymore.  What's the point when it's obviously rigged to be able to vote multiple times if you choose to and since these latest ones are soooo close every time you look, yeah, it's a "war" between certain ships.  And yes, they've mentioned it on their sites to go vote so a certain ship loses and tells you how to vote multiple times.  So sad.  I'd love to see what the true votes would be.

12 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Just to see if it would let me, I was able to vote twice on one round from the same device from two different "sites."  So yeah, it is rigged when your capable of voting more than once so I don't bother anymore.  What's the point when it's obviously rigged to be able to vote multiple times if you choose to and since these latest ones are soooo close every time you look, yeah, it's a "war" between certain ships.  And yes, they've mentioned it on their sites to go vote so a certain ship loses and tells you how to vote multiple times.  So sad.  I'd love to see what the true votes would be.

True but can't you vote multiple times for both? Or is just one and that's it. I guess if everyone voted through a loophole, may cancel each other out. I mean it stands out a bit when Opening Night has an almost 95 vote win over Staircase. Maybe woulden't matter anyway. Bath Item, Adhesive Duck, and Opening Night are prob going to be the eventual winners in any case. 

Edited by 3ku11

On 02/08/2016 at 3:53 PM, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Can I ask what the point of a Tournament Poll where you can vote multiple times is? 

The episode tournaments are mainly for fun during the summer months. It shouldn't be taken too seriously, although we do try deter and detect any suspicious voting patterns. Despite it being for fun, it's true that there are people out there who do attempt to influence the result. I know this because a number of them have been identified and had their votes removed.

People identified as having already voted aren't able to vote again, but there are limits to being able to detect existing voters up front. Somebody on another device in a completely different location and network is basically another person as far as the system is concerned. That doesn't mean we can't spot this after the fact, though. Votes are reviewed at the end of the full round (not each match) and the blocks are updated. We collect data on each vote, so it's not just a tally that goes up. Suspicious voting can be plain to see. There are voting restrictions affecting some people based on past attempts to vote many times.

Could security be tighter? Yes, but each new measure brings with it more chance of blocking innocent people voting or simply discouraging people from voting. We could link it to the forum accounts, but most people who vote are coming from Twitter, Facebook and the main site. They don't necessarily have or want a forum account. To require them to have one would probably just stop them voting, so we'd have a far smaller pool of voters. Also, it's relatively easy to sign up for a forum account, so the determined could still get through. We could then only accept accounts with a set number of posts, but again it would really shrink the pool of voters. I think that would make it easier to game and would perhaps exacerbate any shipper rivalry or bias.

We could connect it to Twitter and Facebook login, but again it's another step people would have to take. I also don't know how difficult it is to simply sign up for more of those accounts.

The main aims of the voting restrictions are to make it not too easy to vote a few times, as given the chance people are often prone to "cheat" just a little, and to identify the extreme cases of people who try vote many times.

22 hours ago, djsurrey said:

We don't check against the forum accounts, so different devices in completely different locations are harder to detect up front. You're right that we do log every vote, though, so there's records to review. It's not a case of a simple tally where a vote (and the voter information) disappears into a number.

18 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

It uses cookies, not a log in so you can just use a TOR browser and voila! as many votes as you want. :icon_neutral:

We do check and log more than just cookies. That method would work up front, registering a vote, but these are checked after the fact when the rounds changes. We can tell the difference between somebody voting on their home network, phone network, business computer or through servers or other networks.

17 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

We do check more than just browsers and cookies. Yes, with the devices most people have these days, it's certainly fairly easy to vote twice if you're determined. But it's relatively easy for everybody, so it won't completely distort the voting. With the binary options of two episodes, there's no reason to believe that one episode will be benefited above another. We can also detect some of that activity. When suspicious votes have been removed, they've been split between both episodes in each match.

Importantly, it's less easy to vote many more times without being detected. That's what's really important in making sure it's broadly fair - trying to make sure nobody has an edge, perhaps through technological skill, to be able to have an outsized influence on the vote.

3 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

Out of interest, what do you mean by two different "sites"? It's not rigged to allow people to vote multiple times, it's just not completely avoidable in a way that doesn't thoroughly discourage voting. To the extent it is possible to vote more than once, it wouldn't benefit one ship over the other. When I checked through the voting logs, there were suspicious votes for episodes on both sides of the ships.

The later ones are closer because of how they were seeded, as April described a few pages back. The left side episodes were the top 1-8 against the 9-16 on the right. The key there is that there was much more difference in the votes in the nominations round between episodes 1-4 and 9-12 than there is between 5-8 and 13-16. The matches being more decisive victories at the top and then closer at the bottom just comes down to their overall popularity.

• Like 6

So is round two now open? Bath Item vs Scavenger.

Tricky one, might go with Scavenger even though bath item has that one iconic scene.

13 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

So is round two now open? Bath Item vs Scavenger.

Tricky one, might go with Scavenger even though bath item has that one iconic scene.

Scavenger all the way for me!

Bath Item has that one great scene with the gifts, the rest is forgettable. (Like, I literally forget what's happening in it and every time I see it's me going "oh yeah, that one. meh")

While Scavenger on the other hand is probably one of the greatest group episodes they've ever done. I love the over the top competitiveness, the mix of the puzzles that allows everyone to contribute, and throwing different characters together that we don't see hanging out often - the highlight being naturally the duo of Amy and Howard who are just delightful!

• Like 4

Bath Item has never been one of my favorites.  That final scene, while sweet, doesn't rehabilitate the way Penny acted like a jerk for the rest of the episode. Meanwhile, scavenger was out and out funny with the puzzles, Bernadette/Leonard and Amy/Howard. 

As Molaro said it was a way to get different pairings, it might have been more interesting with Sheldon/Bernadette, Leonard/Amy, Penny/Howard pairings, but  it was obvious it was really just an excuse to get Penny and Sheldon together, again.  Hardly a different pairings.  One of the flaws, IMO. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Bath Item has never been one of my favorites.  That final scene, while sweet, doesn't rehabilitate the way Penny acted like a jerk for the rest of the episode. Meanwhile, scavenger was out and out funny with the puzzles, Bernadette/Leonard and Amy/Howard. 

As Molaro said it was a way to get different pairings, it might have been more interesting with Sheldon/Bernadette, Leonard/Amy, Penny/Howard pairings, but  it was obvious it was really just an excuse to get Penny and Sheldon together, again.  Hardly a different pairings.  One of the flaws, IMO. 

I agree, the Penny/Sheldon pairing was the least interesting about the episode. But I think for this competitive story the pairings as they are worked extremely well in terms of character dynamics.

That said, BIG YES to more Sheldon/Bernadette, Leonard/Amy, and Penny/Howard! Maybe another episode can cover that in the future...

Went with Scavenger in the end. Kind of wished they did more group episodes like that, I know that with so many characters and limited screen time it's difficult to fit everything they want planned into a season but a few group fun activities every once in a while could be good. For example they haven't done paintball for a while it could be fun having them all do it, obviously after Bernie has had her baby.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, BlackWhiteRose said:

Yeah the Justice League episode was pretty funny though. I mean Zack as superman I loved it! And Zack is always fun! And I also loved the milk duds *LOL* 

I liked how Sheldon corrected him, regarding implied and inferred. :laugh: 

2 hours ago, April said:

Bath Item has that one great scene with the gifts, the rest is forgettable.

Not to mention how DU humiliates and puts down Leonard (in front of Penny), and cheats on his wife with Penny. :angry: 

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

Leonard/Amy

Of course, we'd already had a Leonard and Amy pairing episode.

Prior to Scavenger Vortex, I don't believe we'd ever had a Leonard/Bernadette, or a Howard/Amy, pairing episode.

ETA: Went with Scavenger Vortex.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, April said:

Bath Item has that one great scene with the gifts, the rest is forgettable. (Like, I literally forget what's happening in it and every time I see it's me going "oh yeah, that one. meh")

Some of the forgettable stuff was needed to set up the great scene.

Unlike so many people I found Scavenger Vortex pointless mostly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Of course, we'd already had a Leonard and Amy pairing episode.

Yes, one.  how many Penny/Sheldon epsisodes?

Prior to Scavenger Vortex, I don't believe we'd ever had a Leonard/Bernadette, or a Howard/Amy, pairing episode.

Depends on what you mean.  Leonard and Bernadette had a couple of interactions, just between them, in "The Gorilla Experiment" (about the same as Leonard and Amy), so we had seen that pairing, although not much.   Sheldon/Bernadette would have been new,

Penny and Howard individual scenes would have been pretty original, as they hadn't had very many scenes with just those two alone.  And Leonard and Amy would have have been pretty original (I can think of four scenes, one a continuation of another between them).  

Instead we got a brand new pairing, one we had seen a bit of before, and one we had seen over and over again.  It would have been more original to break up Penny and Sheldon, but as I said, it was more an exercise to get Penny and Sheldon together.   

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the episode tremendously.  I just felt them pushing "different pairings was a smokescreen to try and hide the fact they put Sheldon and Penny together again.