Desdemona

Howardette Season 10

On 4/8/2017 at 2:24 PM, Desdemona said:

I don´t know how much Howard gets, but no matter if Howard is working on the gyroscope or finishes it earlier, Bernie could work part-time if she wants to spend more time with Halley. I´m sure she could manage both things and they could still live with the pay cut.

Speaking of Bernie´s mom. I´m confused about the portray of Bernie´s mom.

On one hand she seemed to control her daughter outlaying the dresses for her and forbidding her to drive any bicycles, on the other hand, Bernie had to take care of her siblings, feeding and changing diapers for them.  (I guess that she was the eldest of them all or one of the elder children?)

While she was telling Howard about her childhood, I had the feeling that she was pretty alone, while she was taking care of her siblings, at least she didn´t mention her mother helping her, or that she was helping her mother because they were so many kids, that her mother was overstrained with the kids. As fas as I remember, she never mentioned that her mother was working, but who knows, maybe that was the reason why she had to take care of her siblings.

Yes Bernie's mother worked, though in their home. She ran an illegal daycare in their basement. 

I always assumed Bernie helped with more than just her siblings, but with the daycare kids too. That's why she resented it and disliked kids.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cereal Apist said:

Yes Bernie's mother worked, though in their home. She ran an illegal daycare in their basement. 

I always assumed Bernie helped with more than just her siblings, but with the daycare kids too. That's why she resented it and disliked kids.

That's an interesting point you made.

Are private/home daycares allowed in the US? And how many children can one adult take care of? 

Poor Bernie, surrounded by dozens of children, screaming and running around her, while she tries change diapers and to study for school. 

I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't let my kids in the hands of woman and a kid/teenager, who are taking care of 20 other kids. 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2017 at 3:57 PM, Desdemona said:

Are private/home daycares allowed in the US? And how many children can one adult take care of? 

Poor Bernie, surrounded by dozens of children, screaming and running around her, while she tries change diapers and to study for school. 

I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't let my kids in the hands of woman and a kid/teenager, who are taking care of 20 other kids. 

Yes they're allowed. The requirements for operation vary from state to state but here's a link to the basics.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/requirements-opening-in-home-day-care-center-4521.html

But since Bernie's mother's was illegal the point is moot. Sadly because child care is so expensive illegal day-cares are rampant.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cereal Apist said:

Yes they're allowed. The requirements for operation vary from state to state but here's a link to the basics.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/requirements-opening-in-home-day-care-center-4521.html

But since Bernie's mother's was illegal the point is moot. Sadly because child care is so expensive illegal day-cares are rampant.

Thanks for the link Cereal Apist! 

On  one Hand it is true, that it's a pitty that so many day-cares are so expensive that some people can't affort them. On the other hand there are a lot of costs  day-cares have to face and at least in my town, 100s are endangered and near to be closed due to costs or because they are not "profitable" enough.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Desdemona said:

Thanks for the link Cereal Apist! 

On  one Hand it is true, that it's a pitty that so many day-cares are so expensive that some people can't affort them. On the other hand there are a lot of costs  day-cares have to face and at least in my town, 100s are endangered and near to be closed due to costs or because they are not "profitable" enough.

Yes that's the Catch-22 of regulations. While they definitely protect people they also drive up prices.

• Like 3

I really liked the Howardette plot in the latest episode! Bernie was funny but also relatable and when she yelled for Halley to look at other it didn't come across as just scary mean Bernadette because it was based on her distress. Howard looking at Halley at the daycare was adorable, mde me proud of a fictional character! haha  He was also hilarious :)

I enjoy them so much this season, they make it a little more bareable to me (as a Lenny shipper most of the second half of this season is hard for me to watch)

• Like 5

Howardette make watching this show less of a chore. Loved them tonight. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After shamy, howardette is my favourite couple of the show and their parents/couple storyline has been one of best things from this season imo. I have always had a thing for Howard because my best and longer laughs from the show have been because of him and his maturity had been remarkable and also believable through the seasons. He still be crazy but more grown at same time, really like it.

I really loved how Bernie handled with her separation from Halley as she was back to work. Actually Bernie's motherhood   process has been very believable and reflects reality, except the pregnancy timeline, the only unforgiven failure from writers about howardette. What I most enjoyed in this episode was the missing feeling for Halley was extended to both parents, being Howard scene at kindergarten one of sweetest ever from tbbt imo.

Looking foward to seeing more from this family enthusiastically!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Speaking of good things, I had not mentioned two moments I loved in last episode:

* Howard as he had his hand on glass and looked at his daughter tenderly in daycare. My heart totally melted for that guy that grown up so much and now is a respected family man :wub:

* Bernie as she said good bye to her daughter. It started so sweet and ended so Mrs Holowiz 's style, LOL! Howard really found his soulmate, howardette love is so inspiring to watch :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 4

Just popping in here to say that that ventriloquist doll dressed in the exact same way Bernie was at her beauty pageant was the funniest thing in the episode! I liked that scene so much, and also the way Howardette teased each other the whole episode, they were really hilarious!

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Just popping in here to say that that ventriloquist doll dressed in the exact same way Bernie was at her beauty pageant was the funniest thing in the episode! I liked that scene so much, and also the way Howardette teased each other the whole episode, they were really hilarious!

It was my favorite scene of the episode as well! They really have had a great season haven't they? I don't think it's gone under the radar much on here but further afield I don't think it has been recognised enough how great Simon and Melissa have been this season.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Agree so much with  @mirs1 and @Jonny. Howardette was hilarious last night! Their relationship is one of most solid of the show and it is a bliss to watch Melissa and Simon working together, their chemestry makes this couple imo one of best from  sitcom world. It has been a great pleasure to follow these characters storylines. Hopefully they will have much to tell  us for next seasons!

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 7

Totally agree with the Howardette love here!

What I also loved about this was that their little plot was about them and their weird hobbies/talents and not about the baby! They might be parents now but this was a nice reminder that they're still the same people with their own quirks. The teasing was super funny - especially the creepy doll in the end! And Bernie swooning over Howard was also super cute. <3

• Like 8

3 hours ago, April said:

Totally agree with the Howardette love here!

What I also loved about this was that their little plot was about them and their weird hobbies/talents and not about the baby! They might be parents now but this was a nice reminder that they're still the same people with their own quirks. The teasing was super funny - especially the creepy doll in the end! And Bernie swooning over Howard was also super cute. <3

Yeah it was a bit refreshing and proves that the writers can still create some fun and interesting storylines for them away from the baby storylines they have had this season.

I would imagine there is a danger as a writer that perhaps if you have been in a mode where you have been writing stories to a theme for the majority of the season and they have to switch focus to something else that it's not always that easy to transition smoothly. But they proved once again this is a really talented group of writers. :)

• Like 6

Really happy for Melissa signed , as much as I am for Mayim! This show is much better with the contribution of these two ladies! Howard could not loose his Bernie :wub:

So a funny howardette gif for celebrate the good news:

giphy.gif

• Like 9

Howardette are my little drops of fun this season :)

• Like 7

I loved Howardette! Poor guys were  pretty shocked that they have been taken away their project without a glimpse. I hope that they don't let the military get away with it. They could either sue them , trying to get back their intelectual property, so they should at least pay them  an adequate sum for it. Or  they could find out where they continue the project and try to get their calculations and their prototype and all their other stuff back in a spectacular "Mission Impossible" style. (Penny could prepare them physically for this Mission) It could be hilarious, especially with Howard, who can be clumsy and chaotic at times. 

I totally understand that Howard is depressed about the Loss of his project and seeks therefore comfort in Bernie. She is a strong woman who knows best how to cheer him up. 

It was hilarious how he followed the girls to the park and suddenly appeared out of nowhere like a stalker and said "you forgot something at home.... That hug! Next to these kisses" and overwhelms her with kisses while Bernie said to the girls: "free yourself! It is too Late for me!" 

That was so adorable and funny! :giveheart:

Or  how Bernie opened the door and startled because Howard was waiting for her at the door to kiss and snuggle. (I'm glad that she didn't punched him in the face startled LOL)

I hope that now Howard has lost his project that he concentrates in his family and helps Bernie with household and Baby. 

And now that Bert agreed to take Raj, can't he take Stuart as well? The three of them would make an interesting trio of roommates. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Desdemona said:

And now that Bert agreed to take Raj, can't he take Stuart as well? The three of them would make an interesting trio of roommates. 

LOL! Great idea!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Desdemona said:

Oh gosh ! What a spin-off that would make ! Hilarious. We know the writers read fanfic. How about somebody starting that one off ?

Edited by joyceraye
typo
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 9:57 PM, Desdemona said:

I shouldn't think you were in a minority ! Nobody would want to leave a child in the hands of an unreliable person even if theirs was the only child there. 'Daycare' implies they are babies and toddlers too young for nursery school, I assume ? I'd imagine a ratio of two untrained adults to twenty little ones would be considered dangerous and wouldn't be allowed in any developed country.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 9:57 PM, Desdemona said:

In England and Wales people can become Registered Childminders and take other people's children into their own home. The fees are lower than for day-nurseries because the childminder only has to know first aid, whereas a nursery has to employ qualified teachers and/ or nurses. Some mothers ironically become childminders as a way to afford to stay at home with their own children because they don't want to hand their children over to others. There are groups and training courses they can attend where they meet others and exchange ideas. Large toys and other equipment can be hired via local library services.  Numbers they're allowed depends on the age of the children. They and their husbands have to be police-checked and the home has to be inspected and certain rules complied with. The usual number the ones I've known of  prefer to take in is two or three unless the children of the household are very young, in which case they often take only one. I knew of one lady with no children of her own who took six under-sevens altogether but they were there at different times of day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not going to lie I was a little taken aback by how affectionate they were in this one especially Howard. Don't get me wrong Bernie is his Queen and he is her Sexy Jewish Greyhound lol. They clearly adore each other so much but it's kind of rare to see them like that lol.

But yeah echoing what others have said about this episode and the whole season long it's been fantastic season for them. Melissa and Simon have knocked it out of the park all season long. I've always been a huge Simon fan (I think he can do literally anything he is that talented), Melissa i've always liked and that has increased over the years as I have gotten to know her character more and see it evolve like the others. But even I have been amazed at how great she has been, she's gone up another level for me.

I think they both got this storyline (the baby obviously) and took it with great relish. I would love to hear/read their thoughts on this season and their main storyline. 

The biggest compliment I could make is if they were hypothetically given their own show I think they could absolutely pull it off. That and if my shipper heart didn't belong to Shamy it would be with them no question.

Looking forward to seeing where parenthood takes them next season, the career challenges and opportunities they might face with bringing up a baby and their interactions with the rest of the group as well as the clear love the two characters have for each other.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Oh gosh ! What a spin-off that would make ! Hilarious. We know the writers read fanfic. How about somebody starting that one off ?

That would be a spin-off I´d love to watch. It would be interesting, if they showed how the three would live together and somehow grow together and become friends. And if they took a girls home, it could lead to hilarious moments. Imagine Bert has a female guest who goes to the bathroom and finds a whole shelf full of perfumes, lotions, cremes, etc. or takes a look at their DVD collection.

Female guest: Love Story?! Pretty Woman?! Bridget Jones 1-3?! Are you sure you have no girlfriend? I´ve seen the lotions and perfumes in the bathroom.

Bert: They belong to Raj, my roommate.

In that moment the door to the kitchen opens, and a scent of Dior whiffs into the living room, followed by Raj who wears a pink apron carrying two dinner trays on his hand and whistles: "The snacks are ready! I´ve already chosen a movie for us, you will love, love, love it! Stuart it´s movie night! Come out of your cave!"

Then you see Stuart coming out in a shirt and underpants. The girl gives Bert a "Are you kidding me?"-look but Bert convinces her to sit down.

Then the scenes changes and you see Bert and his guest sitting on the large xxl couch, Raj sobbing right to them (because they are watching The Thorn Birds trilogy) and Stuart sitting on their left farting, trying to digest Raj´s Indian 5-course-menu they had for lunch. (This is how it always goes in my mind, because I see Raj as the on who takes care of his roommates, in an overwhelming, overcaring way)

Or Raj and Bert are playing with the Wii when they hear Stuart´s date having an orgasm, squeaking like a dolphin.

The guys exchange puzzled looks, before Raj walks to the door, knocks and says: "Stop torturing Flipper, or do I have to call Greenpeace?"

Or Raj meets a sexy woman who still suffering from her last love, she met on a holiday trip and tries to make her forget him, before he finds out, who her love is he is trying to compete with: The Chinese Wall. (This love exists and is called Objectophilia, I hope the term is correct in English)

I shouldn't think you were in a minority ! Nobody would want to leave a child in the hands of an unreliable person even if theirs was the only child there. 'Daycare' implies they are babies and toddlers too young for nursery school, I assume ? I'd imagine a ratio of two untrained adults to twenty little ones would be considered dangerous and wouldn't be allowed in any developed country.

I´m sure that there´s an institution in America who controlls every licensed daycare and checks if the employees are qualified.

That was surely the reason why Bernie´s mother was running an illegal daycare. They were lucky, that no one reported what they were doing.

In England and Wales people can become Registered Childminders and take other people's children into their own home. The fees are lower than for day-nurseries because the childminder only has to know first aid, whereas a nursery has to employ qualified teachers and/ or nurses. Some mothers ironically become childminders as a way to afford to stay at home with their own children because they don't want to hand their children over to others. There are groups and training courses they can attend where they meet others and exchange ideas. Large toys and other equipment can be hired via local library services.  Numbers they're allowed depends on the age of the children. They and their husbands have to be police-checked and the home has to be inspected and certain rules complied with. The usual number the ones I've known of  prefer to take in is two or three unless the children of the household are very young, in which case they often take only one. I knew of one lady with no children of her own who took six under-sevens altogether but they were there at different times of day.

That is interesting, in my country childminders are having the same rules more or less. Thanks for the information @joyceraye! :shy:

Edited by Desdemona
  • Like 2

That would be a spin-off I´d love to watch. It would be interesting, if they showed how the three would live together and somehow grow together and become friends. And if they took a girls home, it could lead to hilarious moments. Imagine Bert has a female guest who goes to the bathroom and finds a whole shelf full of perfumes, lotions, cremes, etc. or takes a look at their DVD collection.

Female guest: Love Story?! Pretty Woman?! Bridget Jones 1-3?! Are you sure you have no girlfriend? I´ve seen the lotions and perfumes in the bathroom.

Bert: They belong to Raj, my roommate.

In that moment the door to the kitchen opens, and a scent of Dior whiffs into the living room, followed by Raj who wears a pink apron carrying two dinner trays on his hand and whistles: "The snacks are ready! I´ve already chosen a movie for us, you will love, love, love it! Stuart it´s movie night! Come out of your cave!"

Then you see Stuart coming out in a shirt and underpants. The girl gives Bert a "Are you kidding me?"-look but Bert convinces her to sit down.

Then the scenes changes and you see Bert and his guest sitting on the large xxl couch, Raj sobbing right to them (because they are watching The Thorn Birds trilogy) and Stuart sitting on their left farting, trying to digest Raj´s Indian 5-course-menu they had for lunch. (This is how it always goes in my mind, because I see Raj as the on who takes care of his roommates, in an overwhelming, overcaring way)

Or Raj and Bert are playing with the Wii when they hear Stuart´s date having an orgasm, squeaking like a dolphin.

The guys exchange puzzled looks, before Raj walks to the door, knocks and says: "Stop torturing Flipper, or do I have to call Greenpeace?"

Or Raj meets a sexy woman who still suffering from her last love, she met on a holiday trip and tries to make her forget him, before he finds out, who her love is he is trying to compete with: The Chinese Wall. (This love exists and is called Objectophilia, I hope the term is correct in English)

I´m sure that there´s an institution in America who controlls every licensed daycare and checks if the employees are qualified.

That was surely the reason why Bernie´s mother was running an illegal daycare. They were lucky, that no one reported what they were doing.

That is interesting, in my country childminders are having the same rules more or less. Thanks for the information @joyceraye! :shy:

I'd say you have a nice screenplay on your mind. :)

It would be a funny spin off to watch!

• Like 3

I'd say you have a nice screenplay on your mind. :)

It would be a funny spin off to watch!

Indeed, I would be all in for a spin off with Raj, Stuart and Bert.

The other members of the TBBT cast could appear as guest stars from time to time, because if Raj stayed in Pasadena it would be odd, if he didn´t visit them or if they didn´t visit him.

But other guest appearances would be highly appreciated as well like Dave or Will Wheaton and so on.

I would love to see Dave meeting Bert, I love Dave and want to see him again!

Gosh, I´m getting excited over a spin-off that doesn´t even exist. LOL

• Like 3