In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

There has never been NOTHING

Ki22

On 9/16/2016 at 2:14 PM, Tonstar17 said:

The universe could have ended or imploded on itself but just waiting for it to catch up on us.

We are part of the Universe. We are the Center of the Known Universe because our telescopes see out to about 14 billion light years in all directions. We have no idea of our relative position. We might be at the center, or near the edge.

I wouldn't use imploded. Collapsed is probably a more suitable word. Implosion infers a difference in internal and external pressure where the external pressure is greater than the internal pressure. In building demolition explosions are used to trigger the implosion of the building by removing the internal pressure produced by selected structural components.

Tremendous force would be required to propagate the event. "Nobody can hear you scream in space." That makes gravity the usual suspect, and I think the gravity mass distance relationship makes the aggregation of sufficient force highly unlikely.

We don't really have a handle on the totality of the Universe. The problem with a Theory of Everything is; it's a moving target. They're trying to hit a moving target from a moving platform, and the target and platform run straight and fast, like a kangaroo xD.

On 04/09/2016 at 1:34 PM, Retired CreativeGenius said:

If you can observe the reflections from Mars, and Neptune, and the sun suddenly goes dark, which planet will lose illumination first, and how long after that will the 2nd lose illumination? 

I quoted this again as you seem to have forgotten the question you asked was how long.

4 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

The Normal Reason is irrelevant. This is a hypothetical event.

You don't need that much detail as the position of Mars cannot cause it to remain illuminated while Neptune goes dark. The question was very simple, and the answer is very simple. Mars will go dark first, Neptune will follow.

The question was how long. 

I also pointed this this could not actually happen in any meaningful way. That aside I gave the information that could be used to get some sort of answer assuming it could be possible even though the precise answer would depend on the alignment.

The first part of the question was hardly worth asking so I was looking at the second part.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 10:38 PM, djsurrey said:

The question was how long. 

The answer is about 8 hours. It will be slightly less. The fact that the exact positions of the planets are unknown makes a more accurate calculation questionable. Sun to Neptune 4.1 hours, Neptune to Earth 4 hours.

An 8 hour difference is significant, and it doesn't matter if it's 7 hours and 30 minute or 8 hours and 30 minutes. Accuracy isn't the question. The time lag is obvious. You shouldn't have needed to do calculations. The answer to which body goes dark first was obvious.

I want to thank you for all the information you supplied in the thread, I used your data for the calculation.

In the future I will be more careful in the use of hypothetical events. But, I doubt it would have been any different if i said a flashlight as bright as the sun. That's impossible too.

The Speed of Dark = the Speed of light

Edited by Retired CreativeGenius
added last 3 sentences