The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1001 The Conjugal Conjecture (September 19)

great start. loved it

weeding was better the second time around.

poor amy, though sheldon was going to proposed

to her.

wish it could have been back-to back ep. would have 

been more enjoyable.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ajond said:

in the episode poll, would have liked an option between Good and Bad, maybe Fair. I thought Sheldon was way too crude about his mother and L's father. Also his intrusion into the wedding was totally underwhelming. The way he treats Amy is unlikable.

Sorry about that. That was an oversight. I forgot the polls have usually had six options, the more neutral one being "Okay". Future polls will include an option like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed about 80% of it. I liked Penny's family, but it seems like they were just there and throwing funny one-liners. Loved Katey Sagal, but I'm on the fence about McBrayer. Love him as an actor, but not sure if he was the best choice. I do like how the writers went for a nonassuming drug-dealer look, but I'm still 'eh' about the casting. 

Overall, lovely season premiere but there are areas where it failed to hit the mark for me personally.

• Like 3

I found the episode disappointing. At the start of the episode, we find that Alfred and Mary just shared a cab ride and conversations but that didn't stop the barrage of 'old people having sex jokes' from Sheldon that truly annoyed and seemed to dominate the episode. That got lame real fast and didn't rise to the occasion (see what I did there).

Was truly disappointed in Susan, Penny's mother. We have been given only a few snippets of her through the years but it seems to me that a 'pot smoking while pregnant' woman who had a daughter that 'shot her husband' (they were both drunk was the dismissive excuse) and took her son 'out drinking to celebrate his sobriety' spent waaaay too much time through the episode worrying what other people might think of her. IMO, it would have been funnier if Susan HAD happily acted as we have been led to believe, a Trailer Park Queen, and it would have clashed nicely with Bev's stick-up-the-butt elitism and condescending propriety. If they had written Penny to be profoundly embarrassed by her mother, between the two, it could possibly have given us fun moments. But nah. Katey Sagal's talent was not used and her role was reduced to an un-fun shrieking harpy. 

My only LOL moment was Randall's 'well what color trash do you think they would believe?'

Really loved that both Leonard's parents actually said something nice about him.

Liked that the writers had Bernadette used the word 'snarky' to describe the behaviors during the wedding. That struck me as an interesting word to use as quite a few Lenny's have used that word repeatedly for Penny's behavior/attitude towards Leonard this past season. 

Sheldon's insertion into the ceremony, totally unnecessary, like all Sheldon's insertions into Lenny's lives. 

This whole episode stuck me as Lenny fan service. TPTB must have known about the overwhelming negative responses from fans regarding Nuptials #1 so this was given to us to make nice. I personally HATED Nuptials #1 so now between that and Nuptials #2, in my mind, I've cobbled together a nice little wedding for them. And I'm sure, for Lenny, this will never be revisited. The 'Lenny Nuptials' have been officially put to bed -- with Sheldon in the adjoining room. 

• Like 6

This was in my opinion  the best season opener for few years if not one of the best overall the Leonard&Penny  wedding redo was good not amazing . It was  about the best  we could hope for and took away some of the bad taste left by the Vegas wedding.I think that the writers are saving  the best wedding stuff  for when  the Shamy gets married.Anyway great episode looking forward to the rest of the season has instore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tripper said:

Sorry about that. That was an oversight. I forgot the polls have usually had six options, the more neutral one being "Okay". Future polls will include an option like that.

Thanks tripper

• Like 1

An average premiere obsessed with a handful of fuddy duddy guest stars. At least some of the main cast seemed to exert some energy for once.

After the cop-out with the first wedding (them trying to be cheap bastards and not make proper use of their budget), I guess this is the most we could hope for. Seems like fanservice for them to collect family member actors and do this, so I imagine the reaction to Lenny's first wedding was pretty bad.

Let's talk about those family members.....none of them left any strong impression. Wander Over Yonder guest star junkie brother was the only one with a good line or two, but then more than half of his drug jokes were very lazily written and boorish. Maybe it fits with what Penny says about her family being a mess all the time, but there was no substance to their appearance.

Leonard's mother giving him affirmation at least ties up that story, to which I hope is another sign that Season 11 is the final end. (The fact that they haven't announced a renewal could mean they're waiting until May to announce it as the final season. Fingers crossed!)

Oh, I also didn't like how the promo tried to bait the poor naive Shamy shippers. Fear not, they'll be engaged by the end of Season 10 anyhow. (But probably still somehow not living together to preserve the sacred status quo)

My last hope is that Bernadette's pregnancy is revolved this year. They've been vague about where the timeline is right now.

• Like 1

The episode gave me plenty to laugh at so successful opening for the season for me, probably the least stressful and most joyful opening since Season 3. Great to see Lenny given a 100% positive experience from everyone, even Beverley, at the wedding. Thought Bernie was brilliant as the celebrant - sometimes her take no prisoners attitude is needed and I thought her one liners were episode highlights. Nice to see Stuart invited since he was such a shipper of Lenny at the murder mystery in S7.

Not sure why Leonard had to still second guess why he ended up with Penny. She loves you, you stupid pop tart. You're a great guy. No need to be grateful for her taking you. But that's the running joke so it was bound to be part of it. Loved that Penny wanted to get in so quick with telling Leonard how she feels about him. Bit of a call back to the proposal - he makes her happy. Still think the wedding bit was a bit rushed in the before and after sense. The flow from Penny's apartment with Bev meeting her family with Penny in her dressing gown to straight to the wedding just felt like scenes were cut to give the guest stars more time in the car tags at the end. Would have preferred a bit of after wedding action rather than big three hug straight to everyone riding off to the airport but still got some laughs out of hose scenes.

I know some people haven't enjoyed parts of it but I enjoyed the repartee between Sheldon, Mary, Alfred and Bev. Sheldon probably went on for too long about it but he was always going to so I laughed and moved on.

Not sure why the writers thought Sheldon needed to throw in the Leonard insult and then be so thankful and loving at the end. I suppose the writers just feel we can't have a positive Lenny episode without one dig about Leonard career and sex performance. 9 seasons is never enough of that.

Had no problem with Sheldon getting involved in the end with his love fest for Lenny. Whether we like it or not, the writers are clearly sticking with the inseparable Big 3 plot. Or maybe deep in the subconscious of Sheldon's wackadoodle of a mind, that speech and his quip about living with his brother and wife is stupid from the opening, coupled with his decision on living arrangements in Ep 4, is him slowly realising it's time for the change for the happiness of these very important people in his life. (Sorry Amy, looks like you're still no. 3, which is unfair but hopefully you'll move up the rankings when he finally separates from this 9 year + relationship)

Still love Wyatt - him and Penny are so well matched as daddy and daughter, much like my daughter and I- but Penny's mum left we underwhelmed. Least interesting of all the mums of the show. Left me with no desire to see her return. Then again every other parent got an episode or more to themselves to develop. She just got shoehorned int is group shot in this episode. Penny's brother was a bit one dimensional too but got a couple of laughs out of him so that's ok.

I guess they couldn't work Howard and Raj into the main plot so had to keep going with that story. Again got some laughs out of it and nice to see Big Jim from Under the Dome turn up as the Colonel. Not overjoyed with Raj's douche comment and facial expression about living with Howard's wife when he is in the desert.

Anyway despite the flaws, I'm happy the show is back and got off to a pretty good start. And we got a very happy Lenny redo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was truly disappointed in Susan, Penny's mother. We have been given only a few snippets of her through the years but it seems to me that a 'pot smoking while pregnant' woman who had a daughter that 'shot her husband' (they were both drunk was the dismissive excuse) and took her son 'out drinking to celebrate his sobriety' spent waaaay too much time through the episode worrying what other people might think of her. IMO, it would have been funnier if Susan HAD happily acted as we have been led to believe, a Trailer Park Queen, and it would have clashed nicely with Bev's stick-up-the-butt elitism and condescending propriety. If they had written Penny to be profoundly embarrassed by her mother, between the two, it could possibly have given us fun moments. But nah. Katey Sagal's talent was not used and her role was reduced to an un-fun shrieking harpy. 

Yep, I think that explains better how I felt about Penny's Mum. Another continuity crisis from our writers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

A filler episode as season opener? Wow. I think I laughed once and that was Lorre's vanity card with his dog's health sheet. The whole episode felt like it had no arc at all, only single scenes shot at the viewer once every minute, by actors suffering from camp psychosis. Of course if you try to cram this much acting into 20 minutes, things will fall apart in the end. Penny's brother was badly cast. Like an even more unpleasant version of "The Real Bubba J" by Jeff Dunham. Is this a sign of the fact that Lorre/Prady are at the set barely part time anymore? Guess in season 10 they no longer care and have moved on. Oh and don't even get me started (again) about Penny not even kissing Leonard after their vows but instead hugging him, COME ON. Any more of this and one can only hope for a writer's strike to put us out of our misery early.

I give this 2/5 instead of 1/5 because wardrobe has finally managed to properly conceal Kaley's giant moth tattoo on her back, and I am midly intrigued by Howards coming gig with the Empire.

• Like 2

When Stuart is the highlight of the episode (which is not Kevin's fault, he is a great actor), it says more then enough about the episode.

Very mediocre.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I enjoyed that when I watched it. Then I remembered the times Amy has already shown she was adept at handling Sheldon. More broken continuity. Amy did not need training in 7.09 to tell Sheldon to apologize and he did what she said even though he was tipsy.

That's true about 7.9 but there's also the fact that these things aren't black and white. It just so happens that in this ep he was so upset already with the Mary/Alfred thing that he just wasn't willing to apologise without his mother forcing him to. 

• Like 5

I enjoyed this episode.  Penny's mom and brother were great and funny.  I was just a bit disappointed that Raj's girlfriend Emily was not at the wedding.  For me that would have completed the BBT family.  Would have been great to see Leonards siblings too but maybe in the future.  I hope Emily is still in the show.  I love Stuart he's really so funny.

• Like 1

I thought it was solid but nothing spectacular, very few laugh out loud moments for me but it finally gave Lenny more the ceremony that they deserved and the introduction of new characters in Leonard's father, Penny's Mother and her brother is a plus point for me.

Maybe this particular storyline didn't utilize Penny's family enough, so I will be interested to see if they brought back again at some point with a different storyline?

The guidance system plot has bored me at times but in upcoming episodes that may be explored a bit more which might pique my interest a bit.

Jealous and possessive Sheldon when it comes to Amy is always funny and I loved that line. I think it was clear Sheldon was stewing all episode about his mother and Leonard's father but his outbursts on the whole were tame for him (it could have been much worse). I didn't particularly like some of the comments he said to Leonard though in 4A and there was some real snark between him and his mother but then there always has been until she shuts him down. What he said to Amy wasn't that bad in the car, very tame indeed.

The potential parental hookup storyline didn't really interest me much in 9x24 and didn't in this episode. I was more interested in seeing a re-do or finding out if the re-do actually happens more than anything during the hiatus.

6/10 for me. Solid but nothing spectacular.

• Like 3

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:12 AM, gsxdoug said:

I thought one of the best lines of the episode was Wyatt's about Sheldon: "He reminds me of that turkey we had who drowned looking up at the rain."

I'm afraid I still don't understand this one. How does a turkey who drowned itself relate to Sheldon ?

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, April said:

The wedding was really sweet and even though I did cringe at the Sheldon part in the TR it played out fine on screen. So hooray for that. <3

Same here. It was nothing but people saying nice things to one another. I was quite relieved. There were no vows as such to interrupt anyway. ( I read so many posts mentioning 'vows' I had to play the scene over and over again to make sure I hadn't missed them. LOL ) It was only what he would have included in his best man's speech at the reception if there'd been one. It was a free-for-all in which anybody could have got up and said anything. 

I loved Bernie's pun on 'husband'  - a use which usually refers to ships ( another pun intended ? ) but can be dwellings - which didn't register with me until she said 'Who came with the apartment'

The only disappointing thing for me was how brief everything was in the end with all those relatives travelling such a long way at such expense for something that took three minutes. A double episode would have been better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

The only disappointing thing for me was how brief everything was in the end with all those relatives travelling such a long way at such expense for something that took three minutes. A double episode would have been better.

Agree. Maybe those characters come back more times this season. Alfred and Mary possible romantic relationship was introduced and it would be nice as we can hear more about them again and to know if they kept getting along or not.

The writters like to surprise us in some fronts, I believe that what we saw in première might develop into something more. :)

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Agree. Maybe those characters come back more times this season. Alfred and Mary possible romantic relationship was introduced and it would be nice as we can hear more about them again and to know if they kept getting along or not.

The writters like to surprise us in some fronts, I believe that what we saw in première might develop into something more. :)

I can see that or maybe future seasons. Now we have a face to a name they can always bring one or more of them back for a future storyline.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm afraid I still don't understand this one. How does a turkey who drowned itself relate to Sheldon ?

Here is my thinking, perhaps far fetched, but I'll go with it.

Similar to domesticated turkeys, who lack skills to survive in an unprotected environment,  Sheldon has been confined, granted by his own will, and lacks the skills and experience to navigate the social aspects of life.

Turkeys are very intelligent, but have limited sight.  When bred in captivity, they panic when faced with the unfamiliar.  They will makes efforts in an attempt to escape and possibly injure other turkeys in the process.  If they encounter rain before learning how to live in the environment, in an attempt to see beyond their field of vision, they hold their heads up and mouths open.  This causes them to drown in the process.

So, like Turkeys, Sheldon is intelligent, but when faced with uncomfortable social situations he is unfamiliar with, he panics.   In an attempt to escape the situation and bring things back to his comfort level, he verbally injures those around him and and/or makes things awkward.  He risks killing whatever social life he has because he can't keep his mouth shut!

In the minds of Penny's family, they think Sheldon is as dumb as a turkey drowning himself rather than just seeking shelter out of the rain.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

@jenafan, much in line with my thinking. Perhaps having grown up on a farm that raised turkeys, among other things, the joke was easier for me to pick up on. And, given my experience, I'm not so sure turkeys can be described as "intelligent."

Edited by gsxdoug
  • Like 3

Finally watched the episode.  It was ok, and I laughed in certain parts.  The genitals joke got me laughing!  Overall, it felt somewhat rushed, like they were trying to pack too much in.  I would have preferred if they had left the Howard/Raj/Bernie plot to another episode, and focused more on the families and the wedding. 

Sheldon came off as quite mean. I know he was upset, but he was being quite offensive to his parents.  The funniest scenes to me were the ones with Beverly in them.  I just love her, and she totally steals the scenes that she is in.

Penny and her dad Wyatt were good.  I didn't really like the casting of her brother.  He's just too sunshiny and happy, that I couldn't make sense in my head that he was a former dealer/addict.  I would have preferred if they made his character a bit more sly.  Like saying things to everyone that gets them all on edge and worried, but in the end he is just screwing around with them.  Either way, I think a different actor would have been better.  As for Penny's mom, I think the casting was ok, but the writing was off.  What happened to the pot smoking while pregnant free spirited person mentioned before?  She spent her whole time worrying about what people would think of their family.  I think I'd rather her have been proud of her unique family and gone head to head with Beverly, if she thought she was snubbing them.  So that felt weird to me. 

I mentioned this last season, but I also find Leonard's father to be a bit of a strange character (writing wise).  I sat down and thought...what kind of man would be married to Beverly for many years?  Beverly, who is a human personification of a cat.  I would think, it would be someone much like her in personality.  Cool...detached, academic.  Someone who cared more about his work than family.  Leonard's memories of his past were never happy, and never really mentioned his father positively.  So how do we suddenly get this warm, kind man we see before us?  I loved the sparring between Beverly and him, but I thought it would make sense if he also had a contentious relationship with his son Leonard also.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, gsxdoug said:

@jenafan, much in line with my thinking. Perhaps having grown up on a farm that raised turkeys, among other things, the joke was easier for me to pick up on. And, given my experience, I'm not so sure turkeys can be described as "intelligent."

I get you.  We raised chickens, turkeys, and goats.  I'm not a farm girl, though.  So, no doubt you have more experience.

It is my understanding that wild turkeys are more intelligent than they are given credit for.  It is when they are captive bred that makes them stupid.  They become so dependent on their caretakers, that they lose their survival skills and can't fend for themselves.  They become like sheep.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2016 at 9:22 PM, nibbler747 said:

I mentioned this last season, but I also find Leonard's father to be a bit of a strange character (writing wise).  I sat down and thought...what kind of man would be married to Beverly for many years?  Beverly, who is a human personification of a cat.  I would think, it would be someone much like her in personality.  Cool...detached, academic.  Someone who cared more about his work than family.  Leonard's memories of his past were never happy, and never really mentioned his father positively.  So how do we suddenly get this warm, kind man we see before us?  I loved the sparring between Beverly and him, but I thought it would make sense if he also had a contentious relationship with his son Leonard also.

I get what you mean, he didn't really speak about his father that fondly in the past but then again most references seem to be that he wasn't around that much because he was often on some kind of archaeological dig across the world. There seemed to be a real warmth there between them so I guess his father wasn't that bad to him really.

Opposites do attract so I could understand why Alfred ended up with Beverly, it's also possible that she wasn't always like this. Who knows when they were young and courting she could have been a more open person and there must have been some spark between them at some point. Maybe motherhood changed her and made her more focused on her work, I mean she seems to have used her children as test subjects in her work (well Leonard anyway).

My gut feeling is that Beverly wasn't always like this.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2