Jump to content

1001 The Conjugal Conjecture (September 19)


Recommended Posts

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, jenafan said:

Here is my thinking, perhaps far fetched, but I'll go with it.

Similar to domesticated turkeys, who lack skills to survive in an unprotected environment,  Sheldon has been confined, granted by his own will, and lacks the skills and experience to navigate the social aspects of life.

Turkeys are very intelligent, but have limited sight.  When bred in captivity, they panic when faced with the unfamiliar.  They will makes efforts in an attempt to escape and possibly injure other turkeys in the process.  If they encounter rain before learning how to live in the environment, in an attempt to see beyond their field of vision, they hold their heads up and mouths open.  This causes them to drown in the process.

So, like Turkeys, Sheldon is intelligent, but when faced with uncomfortable social situations he is unfamiliar with, he panics.   In an attempt to escape the situation and bring things back to his comfort level, he verbally injures those around him and and/or makes things awkward.  He risks killing whatever social life he has because he can't keep his mouth shut!

In the minds of Penny's family, they think Sheldon is as dumb as a turkey drowning himself rather than just seeking shelter out of the rain.

Superb explanation. I understand now. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'The Conjugal Conjecture' - Season 10, Episode 1  Airs Monday, September 19 at 8/7c on CBS. After Sheldon's mother and Leonard's father share an evening together, everyone deals with an awkward m

After a second watch...some stray observations.... Penny looked beautiful.  It was such a perfect look for the venue. I loved Bernie as the officiant.  They needed someone who could rein in

Hey....they got in a joke about Penny's brother's new teeth being paid for. That totally makes the whole meth thing believable now. Sure. Anyway, I also wish that this episode had been a whole ho

Posted Images

Guest sladenoddy
On 9/20/2016 at 7:24 PM, 5Mississippis said:

I found the episode disappointing. At the start of the episode, we find that Alfred and Mary just shared a cab ride and conversations but that didn't stop the barrage of 'old people having sex jokes' from Sheldon that truly annoyed and seemed to dominate the episode. That got lame real fast and didn't rise to the occasion (see what I did there).

Was truly disappointed in Susan, Penny's mother. We have been given only a few snippets of her through the years but it seems to me that a 'pot smoking while pregnant' woman who had a daughter that 'shot her husband' (they were both drunk was the dismissive excuse) and took her son 'out drinking to celebrate his sobriety' spent waaaay too much time through the episode worrying what other people might think of her. IMO, it would have been funnier if Susan HAD happily acted as we have been led to believe, a Trailer Park Queen, and it would have clashed nicely with Bev's stick-up-the-butt elitism and condescending propriety. If they had written Penny to be profoundly embarrassed by her mother, between the two, it could possibly have given us fun moments. But nah. Katey Sagal's talent was not used and her role was reduced to an un-fun shrieking harpy. 

My only LOL moment was Randall's 'well what color trash do you think they would believe?'

Really loved that both Leonard's parents actually said something nice about him.

Liked that the writers had Bernadette used the word 'snarky' to describe the behaviors during the wedding. That struck me as an interesting word to use as quite a few Lenny's have used that word repeatedly for Penny's behavior/attitude towards Leonard this past season. 

Sheldon's insertion into the ceremony, totally unnecessary, like all Sheldon's insertions into Lenny's lives. 

This whole episode stuck me as Lenny fan service. TPTB must have known about the overwhelming negative responses from fans regarding Nuptials #1 so this was given to us to make nice. I personally HATED Nuptials #1 so now between that and Nuptials #2, in my mind, I've cobbled together a nice little wedding for them. And I'm sure, for Lenny, this will never be revisited. The 'Lenny Nuptials' have been officially put to bed -- with Sheldon in the adjoining room. 

yes I just could not believe that they would have that jerk Sheldon ruin it again?, do these writers and producers ever listen?

and Penny's sarcasm towards Leonard just leaves a nasty taste IMO.

 

Edited by sladenoddy
additional point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just seen the episode and I thought it was really funny, but I think it would have been better if the redo had been over two episodes. To have both the aftermath after the dinner,the redo and howardettes story in the same episode felt a little bit rush.  

As others have mention it feels strange that not all of Penny's and Leonard's relatives are at the redo. I don't think that the casting of Penny's brother and mother was that bad, after all it is a comedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

I have just seen the episode and I thought it was really funny, but I think it would have been better if the redo had been over two episodes. To have both the aftermath after the dinner,the redo and howardettes story in the same episode felt a little bit rush.  

As others have mention it feels strange that not all of Penny's and Leonard's relatives are at the redo. I don't think that the casting of Penny's brother and mother was that bad, after all it is a comedy.

They can always introduce Penny's sister, her family and Leonard's siblings in a future episode. Makes sense that the show didn't use all their bullets in one shot. Besides, you don't think there was already a lot of guest stars?

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonny said:

They can always introduce Penny's sister, her family and Leonard's siblings in a future episode. Makes sense that the show didn't use all their bullets in one shot. Besides, you don't think there was already a lot of guest stars?

I agree that there was a lot of guest stars and of course can they introduce the relatives later.

I only thought from a realistic point of view, usually when you get married all your closest friends and relatives are there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2016 at 7:24 PM, 5Mississippis said:

 

Was truly disappointed in Susan, Penny's mother. We have been given only a few snippets of her through the years but it seems to me that a 'pot smoking while pregnant' woman who had a daughter that 'shot her husband' (they were both drunk was the dismissive excuse) and took her son 'out drinking to celebrate his sobriety' spent waaaay too much time through the episode worrying what other people might think of her. IMO, it would have been funnier if Susan HAD happily acted as we have been led to believe, a Trailer Park Queen, and it would have clashed nicely with Bev's stick-up-the-butt elitism and condescending propriety. If they had written Penny to be profoundly embarrassed by her mother, between the two, it could possibly have given us fun moments. But nah. Katey Sagal's talent was not used and her role was reduced to an un-fun shrieking harpy. 

My only LOL moment was Randall's 'well what color trash do you think they would believe?'

 

Susan should not be a Trailer Park Queen. We know that Penny's family farm land they have owned for several generations (her grandmother or great-grandmother, I forget which, is buried there - now with Penny's late pig next to her). Several daughters have apparently married into trailer parks - hence Wyatt's remarks when he first met Leonard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Susan should not be a Trailer Park Queen. We know that Penny's family farm land they have owned for several generations (her grandmother or great-grandmother, I forget which, is buried there - now with Penny's late pig next to her). Several daughters have apparently married into trailer parks - hence Wyatt's remarks when he first met Leonard.

I didn't say she should be a Trailer Park Queen. I said, for me, it would have been funnier HAD HAPPILY ACTED like one. Given the few facts we knew about her, she certainly seemed to behave like one but not so in the episode. One can act like a Trailer Park Queen but still live on a farm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Alfred said to Beverly at the ceremony that at least their relationship produced Leonard, she reacted as tho it was a new idea to her. But Penny said exactly the same thing to her in the car in 924.

Would it not have been conventional for the mother of the bride to be more prominent in the proceedings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

When Alfred said to Beverly at the ceremony that at least their relationship produced Leonard, she reacted as tho it was a new idea to her. But Penny said exactly the same thing to her in the car in 924.

Would it not have been conventional for the mother of the bride to be more prominent in the proceedings?

I think it more to do with that moment, maybe Beverly was getting a bit emotional inside seeing the ceremony? You have to keep in mind that they did this ceremony for her, it was Penny's idea after Beverly had told them she was upset they have a wedding without her present. It also depends who said it, her relationship with Alfred is frosty right now but they must have had some nice moments when they were together or feelings towards each other.

On your second point if it was an actual wedding in a traditional setting then sure but this wasn't, it was more like a renewal of vows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.