You're an extraterrestrial. How would you conquer Earth?

Retired CreativeGenius

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

But wouldn't tidal waves/tsunamis ruin the infrastructure?

Yes, but the benefits outweigh the cost. Wiping out Washington, London, etc. would cause a governmental meltdown. The Financial system would also take a hit.

Wiping out ports would hinder trade and evacuation. Remember we want them to feel trapped. They need to be encouraged to fight each other.

The real critical infrastructure, IMHO, are energy, water, and Hawaii. 

The coastlines need to be leveled and rebuilt. 

One more thing, you wrote "  the challenge is to remove the human "infestation", .  I prefer to call them Homo Dufus"

4 minutes ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

If they were going after resources, yes they would pick the low hanging fruit. There would be no need to seize the earth. But if they wanted the planet, they would need to wipe us out.

There are probably more likely scenarios for us getting wiped out.

1. us destroying our own environment
  2. global thermonuclear  war
  3. non intelligent threat from space like a civilization destroying asteroid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk

Anyway I tend to be an optimist but I do think we need a big push for green technologies! We need to stop the trend of putting so much CO2 into the air.

• Like 1

It's in the way of a high speed interstellar highway that they need, The coalition of higher beings which we are not part of voted 1 trillion to a billion to vaporize the 6th planet (Earth) in our solar system to get to the sun quicker and harness it's energy. :)

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

It's in the way of a high speed interstellar highway that they need, The coalition of higher beings which we are not part of voted 1 trillion to a billion to vaporize the 6th planet (Earth) in our solar system to get to the sun quicker and harness it's energy. :)

Vogon Constructor Fleet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsxdoug said:

So, why do they want the planet?

Currently the Aliens only get broadcast TV, and they want cable, or fiber.

There's a prayer that ends "World without end. Amen." Unfortunately, it's wrong, the earth will end in a few billion years when the orbit of the earth is below the surface of the sun.

In a few billion years, it will be Homo Dufus sending out scouting parties to find a new home.

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

1. non intelligent threat from space like a civilization destroying asteroid

How do you know the dinosaurs didn't tick off space aliens who did it on purpose?

Edited by Retired CreativeGenius

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

non intelligent threat from space like a civilization destroying asteroid

Or maybe a deadly space-born virus, sought out by a government, as the ultimate weapon.

The Andromeda Strain, anyone? :icon_biggrin: 

35 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

The coalition of higher beings which we are not part of voted 1 trillion to a billion to vaporize the 6th planet (Earth) in our solar system to get to the sun quicker and harness it's energy. :) 

Sixth planet?

Don't you mean fourth planet?

36 minutes ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

How do you know the dinosaurs didn't tick off space aliens who did it on purpose?

How do we know we are not living in The Matrix created by aliens?

How do you know that all your memories are not implanted by the alien invasion that occurred generations ago but has been kept secret through mind control.

We generally go for the simplest explanation!

24 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Or maybe a deadly space-born virus, sought out by a government, as the ultimate weapon.

The Andromeda Strain, anyone? :icon_biggrin: 

Perhaps released by north Korea.

Sixth planet?
Don't you mean fourth planet?

Earth is the 3rd planet from our prospective but an alien coming in from interstellar space toward our sun which is the centre of the solar system. Earth would be the sixth planet they come across.

49 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Earth is the 3rd planet from our prospective but an alien coming in from interstellar space toward our sun which is the centre of the solar system. Earth would be the sixth planet they come across.

Not exactly. You're assuming that they'll travel in the plane of the solar system, not come in from above or below the sun.

If you look up or down at the solar system, the sun would be in the middle, and I think Mercury would be number 1.

• Like 1

Yes from our point of view and our position. Mercury is the first planet. The sun is at the centre so you have to travel to it. From earth it's just passing 2 planets. Coming into our solar system from whatever angle mercury will be the last planet before you reached the sun.

7 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

One more thing, you wrote "  the challenge is to remove the human "infestation", .  I prefer to call them Homo Dufus"

"...call them..."  ??? 

Uh, what would that make you?

Technically this is an add but it has Carrie Fisher and it is funny and seems to fit here:

Edited by djsurrey

On 9/16/2016 at 11:43 PM, Tensor said:

While I agree with you dj, if they did arrive, the power and technology they would require to travel such distances would make reducing the earth to usable asteroid sized chunks rather a minor nuisance to them.  

Why does everyone assume that they would want to turn the earth into asteroids?

While rapid transit discourages attempts to make voluntary inter-stellar voyages, when you have no choice but to evacuate rapid transit becomes secondary. The problem then becomes surviving a long space journey in a slower craft to an unknown destination.

They really don't need super high tech that's eons ahead of us. Guided meteors isn't on a list of impossibles at the Pentagon. 

20 hours ago, djsurrey said:

1. us destroying our own environment
  2. global thermonuclear  war
  3. non intelligent threat from space like a civilization destroying asteroid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk

Anyway I tend to be an optimist but I do think we need a big push for green technologies! We need to stop the trend of putting so much CO2 into the air.

This isn't about likely scenarios, it's a geek game.

The points you bring up are valid in that they will be considered by the Aliens before they wipe us out.

One option that they had was arriving in peace, but where can you actually find peace in today's world? They probably figured out that we would steal their technology and kill them. Don't forget that they've been watching Broadcast TV for years. What would they see that would convince them that their Rights would be respected?

Now I want to start out with an Asteroid Attack to generate tidal waves. The attack will be in 3 waves; the first will be a swarm of 15 asteroids with 4 hits on the earth. The Mass will be low to create moderate sized waves. The misses are intentional to conceal the fact that the attack has begun. The second will occur 3 days later with 15 asteroids, 15 hits, Mass to produce large, not massive, waves. The idea is to give people time to reenter the target zone. It doesn't matter if they are looters or rescuers. The 3rd wave will be 5-6, all hits, Mass to produce Massive waves. The idea is to get the people who didn't catch on, and to wash some rubble out to sea. 

Let Earth destroy itself../then come in to help the people who really care...bad scenario  Still...I would hope the people of Earth would be strong and good!

Edited by Ki22

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 8:33 PM, Ki22 said:

Let Earth destroy itself../then come in to help the people who really care...bad scenario  Still...I would hope the people of Earth would be strong and good!

The Earth can't destroy itself.  The people won't be strong and good. Imagine Aleppo Syria on a world wide scale, gold will buy you a can of food.

If Space Aliens arrive here, we're toast, and it won't take a battle-star to do it.

We're only years away from being able to propel an asteroid towards Earth.  Who would do such a suicidal thing? Before you say nobody, remember Caligula, and Nero.

2 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

The Earth can't destroy itself.  The people won't be strong and good. Imagine Aleppo Syria on a world wide scale, gold will buy you a can of food.

If Space Aliens arrive here, we're toast, and it won't take a battle-star to do it.

We're only years away from being able to propel an asteroid towards Earth.  Who would do such a suicidal thing? Before you say nobody, remember Caligula, and Nero.

Reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

On 10/15/2016 at 10:56 AM, djsurrey said:

Thanks for the link. Catapulting rocks to the Earth from the Moon is creative, but yields limited results. (My US Army training tells me to have a viable plan B.)

From wiki

When Mike launches rocks at sparsely populated locations on Earth, warnings are released to the press detailing the times and locations of the bombings—but disbelieving people, as well as people on religious pilgrimages, travel to the sites and die. As a result, public opinion turns against the fledgling nation.

I've been toying with the idea of an electromagnetic catapult. There are some 3-D printer designs that come close. I think the key is positioning the Center of Gravity of the throwing arm. I have a few years until the kids are ready. Robotic Beer Pong sounds so lazy.