The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1002 'The Military Miniaturization' (September 26)

I enjoyed the episode.  I liked that someone else gave some kudos to MIT an enormously important institution and not as Sheldon continually intimates, "a trade school".   We need the same sort of recognition given to Princeton, which was selected the top university in the country, again a few weeks ago.  I digress....Enjoyed the guy's scenes and am wondering how things will progress there.  LOVED Amy's brief contributions--again looking to test Penny's brain to see what lights up when she lies (also loved the "bitch" comment!!!).  Her quick scene with Bernadette was equally funny.  Getting her apple slices because she is pregnant.  Also Bernadette was fun until that last scene with Penny.  A couple of uncomfortable moments there. Wish we could hear about her sitting down with her boss and that things were discussed and she will be fine with the ongoing project.  Did anyone else notice Penny wearing a barrette in the front of her hair during her scene with Sheldon a la Amy---on the opposite side????

Anyway, a nice second-episode of the season.  The only thing I missed was an alone scene for Leonard and Penny (even though episode 1 was Lenny-centric, not much alone time there either.  Looking for some of that, pretty please).   

• Like 6

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, so I'm keeping it short for now:

I really enjoyed the episode. It felt a bit old school with no shipping drama, some geeky/nerdy jokes and I like that both the boys and the girls had job-related plots. I had always wanted to see how Bernadette deals with her pregnancy on her job so I'm happy that she got a plot like that. I think the Glamour article reflects my thoughts pretty well.

Also, all the girls were some real show stealers tonight. Please more of that, show! <3

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, April said:

Not much to add that hasn't already been said, so I'm keeping it short for now:

I really enjoyed the episode. It felt a bit old school with no shipping drama, some geeky/nerdy jokes and I like that both the boys and the girls had job-related plots. I had always wanted to see how Bernadette deals with her pregnancy on her job so I'm happy that she got a plot like that. I think the Glamour article reflects my thoughts pretty well.

Also, all the girls were some real show stealers tonight. Please more of that, show! <3

So agree about the girls April.  Amy especially in very little time had two really great, brief scenes!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hokie3457 said:

So agree about the girls April.  Amy especially in very little time had two really great, brief scenes!

I find 90% of the time when there are seperate plots the girls kill it.  Those 3 girls are so spot on!!!

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

I find 90% of the time when there are seperate plots the girls kill it.  Those 3 girls are so spot on!!!

I just love how the girls are so diferent but get along so well. Especially how they are women with a career for work on and also get relationships with ups and downs as everyone else. And their friendship is strong as the boys's :)

I enjoy this kind of episode. It balances rightly with the others most heavy on relationships stuff.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, jenafan said:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I enjoyed Sheldon turning all lawyer on the lawyer.   However, Sheldon with all his smarts didn't get that he wouldn't be able to represent Leonard because he would be the murder victim in the case.

I thought the comedic writing in this episode was superb.

Yes  ! Sheldon lawyering up on Howard's lawyer cousin was funny . Classic howard. Classic Sheldon.  I thought Howard stole the show last night, with help from Sheldon and Leonard. After 8 years, the guys have still got it ! 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 5

a really cool funny old school-TBBT ep! I normally don't like separate girls/boys plot lines, but loved this one! Angry Bernadette is awesome. I didn't laugh as much as last week, but this ep felt much more TBBT to me than Conjugal Conjecture, so overall I liked it more!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, spidergirl said:

Btw was only me that thought Sheldon would lift very well Amy when he lifted Howard? :icon_cheesygrin:

No, not just you. I think Sheldon shouldn't have much trouble lifting amy. I was strangely distracted by JP's upper body in some scenes, this episode Lol !

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

No, not just you. I think Sheldon shouldn't have much trouble lifting amy. I was strangely distracted by JP's upper body in some scenes, this episode Lol !

It feels like after the costume department already gave up and just ordered a bunch of Sheldon's signature shirts in a bigger size the show equally just gave up on pretending Sheldon doesn't have Jim's muscles.

"So Sheldon has upper body strength now?"

Writers:

Iguess.jpg

LMAO

• Like 8

enjoy it , fun at times.

sheldon at his best with the reactions to the general 

talking, you had to know he would speak up.

love the girls time, each trying to help bernie out

• Like 1

the last scene was worth the entire episode. It was so funny to see goofy Sheldon and Leonard trying to trick the iris reader! LOL

• Like 6

Ah so this military plot has been an excuse all along to get the boys together on a science project. Trying to reinvent that nostalgia of the earlier seasons since a baby is on the way. It was fine, but Raj not being able to work with them makes me worry about his utilization for the rest of Season 10.

Enjoyed some conflict between Penny and Bernadette and it being taken at least halfway seriously. I'd have eaten the apple slices.

Interesting perspective on vegans in Chuck's vanity card.

• Like 1

Sheldon not being allowed to talk and going apoplectic was hilarious and great silent comedy acting by Jim. Loved the scanner stuff as well, kind of a homage to their more nerdier times (don't actually think they are any less nerds than they were, just sometimes we don't see it as much these days). Them working together and having a bit of fun is always good.

I can understand why Bernie was pissed off, she wanted to be on that project and didn't want her pregnancy to derail that. It also wasn't Penny's place to tell their co workers she was either, Bernadette should have been the one to make that announcement. Maybe the research wasn't right for someone in her condition especially with risks involved but it had to be Bernie's call and taking into account any consequences.

Had to lol at the bitch cell comment by Amy and she had some good lines when she went to see Bernie.

Laughed more at this one than the Season opener, perhaps because it focused more on the central cast than all those guest stars.

• Like 6

Finally went through my usual double watching before commenting.....

So Penny spilled the beans again, call back to The Positive Negative Reaction when she blurted out Bernie's news after getting Leonard's text.

Loved the separate girls-boys plots. Old school BBT sort of episode.

Amy being so impressed with Penny's lying and wanting to scan her brain.  I needed to see scientist Amy again.

I honestly don't enjoy shrill Bernie, I hope they mellow her out soon.

Sheldon't text-to-speech software sounded like Stephen Hawking...lol

Jim's physical comedy during the meeting killed me and then when he explodes and discounts everything that was said was sublime.

The guys playing with the optical scanner was so them...I laughed at that a lot.

All in all, it was "good" episode for me.  It felt like they wrote this episode to create backstories for future episodes as opposed to creating new tension or plots.

• Like 8

Ep just aired here. And the Sp scene just reconfirmed inconsistent writing. And forcing those scenes unnecessarily. When it's not relevant to the plot. You would think make more sense for Penny to unload onto Leonard, her husband. And you could tell Penny was about to, she was walking away. Till they unnecessarily over simplified things. With Penny unloading onto Sheldon. That's fine. But it's almost the writers crutch forcing unnecessarily Sp scenes. As for the lemon line. That's inconsistent writing too. It has been mentioned before Leonard likes them. I thought it would of been better if Penny said "I don't think Leonard usually likes them". Or "Yeah I don't think they are his favourite". But Does Leonard even like Lime, the way it was Delevered by Kaley. It was like Penny was indifferent lol. I mean yeah. Overall a good episode, back to its roots with the Guys being the focus.

I think silly is good. At least some of the time. Also it is good to be reminded they all have jobs. I like seeing them in their respective work places at least some of the time.

• Like 6

I was so completely on Bernie's side this episode. Yes, yes, yes, she might be a touch hair-trigger on the litigation thing, but for the rest: seriously-what kind of lunatic goes to MacDonald's and gets fruit? And hee! on the 'Did you come here to gloat?' from Bernie to Amy at the latter's saying that she spent the day waiting for a rat to die of anthrax. And Amy totally looked a little guilty when Bernie said it! Ah, the girls are almost always great value.

Line reading of the night for me was Howard's clenched 'You are a deeply silly man' to Raj. Sometimes truth is all you need for comedy. That and Simon Helberg's eyebrows.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 5

On 9/27/2016 at 3:04 AM, 3ku11 said:

or seeing Bernadette's office, is that the first time we have seen that set?

No, it's not the first time we've seen her office.

We've seen Bernadette in her office, when Howard was on the ISS.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:04 AM, 3ku11 said:

Best sitcom on TV atm

I'd say it's the best sitcom EVER.

On 9/27/2016 at 4:54 AM, jenafan said:

I thought how cute that Leonard's speech patterns are rubbing off on Penny.

Wait till she gets her coin collection. :laugh: 

On 9/27/2016 at 5:27 PM, April said:

"So Sheldon has upper body strength now?"

That'll be handy, the next time Penny has flat-pack furniture delivered. :icon_biggrin: 

Well I finally got the chance to see it in it's entirety last night on TV and what I said when I saw most of the scenes a while back was still true this episode felt more like 'The Big Bang Theory' and more funnier than the previous episode.

Jim acting when the Colonel was talking was very funny, that Star Trek Death Star line and Jim's reaction almost killed me. The guys with the retinal scanner was just so them.

The Pamy relationship seems to have come along leaps and bounds, that bitch cell comment was just brilliant. And if you look at Penny's reaction you could see she was like like touche, well done and it looked like the Queen of Snark on this show was kind of proud of that 'I have taught you well Padawan' LOL

The real star of that episode was Bernie. I said at the time I got why she was so upset and worried but it also struck me watching it last night that a big factor involved here was money. Bernie is clearly the main breadwinner in her marriage, she already has fears that her pregnancy could impact her longer term career prospects I would imagine. Losing perhaps a research lead opportunity was only going to add to that job insecurity fear.

I thought it was a good episode overall.

• Like 1

I found this ep not as funny as it should have been. Maybe Sheldon's opinion of engineers is an exhausted humour mine. Even the Penny and Sheldon scene seemed to lack their usual chemistry.

The exception was Bernadette. The writers and actress seem to be on fire. Maybe 10 will be the season of Bernadette.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

The exception was Bernadette. The writers and actress seem to be on fire. Maybe 10 will be the season of Bernadette.

I agree with you John, Melissa has been brilliant.