The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1005 'The Hot Tub Contamination' (October 17)

11 minutes ago, Jonny said:

She's not just his friends wife though, she is also one of his closest friends and vice versa. In fact you could make a strong argument she has overtaken Leonard as his best friend or she is certainly pushing him close.

Isn't it a shame that Amy isn't his best friend, that he doesn't always confide in her?  Much like Penny  sometimes confides in Sheldon, instead of Leonard?  What makes me so sad is that TPTB don't have Sheldon and Penny confiding in their SO.  Like they don't fully trust them.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 4everlenny said:

Should bother both ships that Sheldon's major reveal is to his friend's wife and not Amy. Also a little upset that TPTB reverted to Penny bitching about Leonard to Sheldon. Just can't deal with their pseudo-sibling relationship any more. Ruined the episode for me.

Thank you for reminding me of this. The fact that Sheldon revealed to Penny why he knocks 3 times is beyond pathetic and also doesn't even make sense. Some things are better left unexplained, and as you say the fact that they were both bitching about the SO's was so tired and old. IMO opinion the writing seemed forced and inorganic no to mention unfunny.

11 hours ago, Judith said:

And I'll say once again that I don't agree at all with the notion that Sheldon opens up to Penny more than Amy or that he tells Penny all his secrets.

On what do you base your opinion? Canon seems to point to the opposite.

• Like 2

I think Sheldon realizes at this point it's weird he's living with Lenny.  Of course it been shown repeatedly that Sheldon confides more to Penny. As my Dad use to say if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck. Sheldon knows he needs Amy because eventually Lenny will abandon him and Amy is the only one to put up with his crap. Compromising on a bathroom, really. Did you think he did that while living with his parents and brother and sister?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I think Sheldon realizes at this point it's weird he's living with Lenny.  Of course it been shown repeatedly that Sheldon confides more to Penny. As my Dad use to say if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck. Sheldon knows he needs Amy because eventually Lenny will abandon him and Amy is the only one to put up with his crap. Compromising on a bathroom, really. Did you think he did that while living with his parents and brother and sister?

n_00106.gif

:shy:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tensor said:

Isn't it a shame that Amy isn't his best friend, that he doesn't always confide in her?  Much like Penny  sometimes confides in Sheldon, instead of Leonard?  What makes me so sad is that TPTB don't have Sheldon and Penny confiding in their SO.  Like they don't fully trust them.  

Sure there are some things sure I would rather see them talk it through with their partners, but in this case I think this was the right move. You could easily see where this situation was heading had they not separated them that time and especially Penny had the wisdom to see that.

Penny is trying to kill two birds with one stone here, help her friends and get them to this point where they can live together relatively comfortably so that her and Leonard can live together. Now some may feel that she should just abandon her friends and just focus on Leonard, but that would go against everything clearly Penny believes in and the whole underlying concept of the show, which is friendship.

Penny's complaints about Leonard in this episode I took to be like a form of mirroring with its sole purpose to get Sheldon to reveal why he was acting so ridiculously. Though I could see Penny actually saying some of these things to Leonard, like for example the thumbs up because she is the 'Queen of Snark' after all. If she had Leonard would have just come out with some snarky retort, he gives just as good as he gets and he rather enjoys the snark and banter between himself and his wife.

Like I said this is all my opinion, people may and will disagree. But I saw no problems with how it played out in that particular episode.

• Like 4

Galecki's attempt to keep his hand on Cuoco's knee seemed very awkward. Probably it was in the script but scripted things don't look natural and Leonard and Penny don't look like being a couple for a very long time.

• Like 1

I think it seemed natural. Many couples as they are sitting close to each other one of them put his or her hand on the other's knee. It is sign of good interaction and intimacy.

• Like 2

Just watched it, haden't had time previousley. Pretty solid episode, maybe a filler. I voted Good. The thing with Leonard and Penny's snark. Is it only becomes a problem if it is obvious either, are effected by it. The opening scene, where Leonard is like "Hey she diddn't compromise, she settled!". And Penny's "You tell him babe!". Kinda settled it for me, they both enjoy the snark and banter. Even if it is with other people. I wasen't even bothered by Penny moaning about Leonard to Sheldon. It wasen't more moaning as it was, exagerrating. It felt to me, Penny was reasoning with Sheldon, he is almost a robot and she deprogrammed her self in a way, to meet where Sheldon is at. I agree killing two bird's with one stone. I doubt all the things she "moaned" about Leonard, are stuff she worries about. It is just Sheldon's development is like he is going through Adolesent. Stuff like Leonard's nasal, habits e.t.c Are such small things for Lenny. But for Shamy they are huge things, so I saw the pure transference their. I really enjoyed SP ice cream scene too. After all these years, it is still such a maternal relationship. I counted 6 times Penny rolled her eyes at Sheldon lol. Especially when Sheldon apoligized to Penny for not considering her as an option, I think she rolled her eyes 25 times in one motion haha. And that was that. In cannon it seems Sheldon confides in Penny alot more, but to me that is only because she is his confidant. A sounding board, Sheldon does not care what Penny thinks. Nor does Penny care what Sheldon thinks. It's nice to have that kinda friendship, despite the pre conceived hysteria that surronds these two every time they are in a scene together. The whole episode it is obvious Lenny are on the same page, they want Sheldon gone for good. 

The funniest part was probably the Hot Tub Sequences. Stuart and Raj are so pathetically bored and lonely lol. I wonder if the show would consider pairing Raj and Stuart up hahaha. Was funny seeing them interact in the tub. And with Howardette observing, until Stuart started to take more layers off hahaah. Overall not the greatest episode of The Big Bang Theory, I think you call this continuity of an already existing story. A Filler possibly. But I felt a consistent theme throughout this episode, comedy. A Theme that has been missing since Season 7. The theme for me atm, it feels like Two worlds. The World of Lenny and Shamy, and then the world of Howardette. It feels like overlapping stories. ATM it feels like Howardette are in a spinoff show of their own. They are just this other couple navigating the waters of a first pregnancy. You woulden't think they were friends with the two crazy couples who live at Apt 4A and 4B in Pasedena. Their feels a divide atm. That I am not liking. Hopefully get a group episode soon, but feel this well be a an ongoing theme in the show until Bernadette water breaks. Who btw I think has the been THE star of Season Ten so far. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 5:56 PM, spidergirl said:

I think it seemed natural. Many couples as they are sitting close to each other one of them put his or her hand on the other's knee. It is sign of good interaction and intimacy.

I mean when people do it naturally and interactively it's okay, but it doesn't fit when people are scripted to return and keep their hand on the other's knee when camera shows them.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:14 AM, 3ku11 said:

Raj and Stuart up hahaha

Stuart and Bert if anybody :D But I don't actually want new relationships between present characters to be introduced.

Edited by soniamdissapoint
  • Like 1

Why the hell did S tell P he saw her more as his nanny? They come from very similar family backgrounds where nannys were not part of life. And why should he need a reason not to hit on his best friend's wife?

I Thought the best things in this episode, as in so many, were Penny's facial reactions. But there was no progress on Penny's own development. How many seasons do the writers think they've got to sort that out?

Far too much time on Shamy, IMO. I just can't believe in them as a couple, or at least as one I could care about in the slightest.

• Like 2

1. On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, kerrycec03 said:
    1. John PhD said :

Why the hell did S tell P he saw her more as his nanny? They come from very similar family backgrounds where nannies were not part of life.

Sheldon even as an adult needs a lot of steering. He knows his friends manage him. When he's no longer sharing with room-mates but owning his own home as father of a family with Amy, they'll need a nanny not for the kids but for the parents so the household doesn't descend into chaos, albeit Amy is a little less bewildered by the world. He's thinking ahead. He's seen movies with nannies in them. He knows they'll need a Penny-type person if they're to function.

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That toothbrush holder doesn't look like a plexiglass case, with a UV light. :icon_confused: 

Agreed!