The Big Bang Theory Forums
hbk4894

What are you currently thinking about

I'm thinking how BENNY the puppy is FINALLY on a learning curve and starting to behave himself !

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

I had a thought that would have ended war, world hunger, all illnesses, but I forgot what it was.

🎵  The ☀️ will come out tomorrow, bet my bottom...  🎵

Sorry, was thinking about Donkey from one of the Shrek movies, after he drank some magic potion. The lyric just popped up. I think my brain just popped out, if that's any indication...

My son and I are having a debate. So I will ask all of you "guys", what do you all think of your present health care ? How long do you have to wait to be seen ? Do you have to pay anything ? How far do you have to travel to be seen ? Thanks so much for your answers !

Can't beat the NHS.

Urgent or Emergency care, you'll be seen immediately, other, non urgent services can be up to a couple of weeks. 

All services are local, no more than a short bus trip away, and costs nothing at point of service. 

22 minutes ago, KT1972 said:

Can't beat the NHS.

Urgent or Emergency care, you'll be seen immediately, other, non urgent services can be up to a couple of weeks. 

All services are local, no more than a short bus trip away, and costs nothing at point of service. 

When you say immediately, do you mean you walk right in or do you still have to wait to see the doctor ? Do you have to pay anything after point of service ? Or monthly ? 

In the event of an emergency, you will be seen immediately, urgent care, you'll get a 'same day' appointment. Otherwise it'll be a regular appointment when they can fit you in. 

Payment is through National Insurance contributions, which are deducted from your wages, so when you need treatment, it's likely already paid for. The only thing you're likely to pay for is prescriptions, but most of the population will be exempt. (under 16's, over 65's, low income, free birth control and so on.) 

OK, almost done. Your NIC (NHS ?) is a mandatory deduction ? And if so, do you mind if I as how much of a % "they" take out ? And I THINK one final question, how does your Country feel about abortion ? Sorry if I'm getting too personal, at anytime you can stop answering. And I think your answers speak for most of everyone (most Countries) on your side of the pond don't they ?

The NI % varies according to how much you earn. A person must be earning £162 p/w minimum ($214 approx) to pay 12% contributions, over £892 p/w ($1180 approx) the percentage drops to 2%. It is mandatory, but since it's automatically deducted you really don't miss it. For the low paid, the real cash amounts may only be £2-£3 p/w. 

Abortions (and I've had to Google this) are legal up to 24 weeks, but can be performed later if there's risk to mother or baby. Personally, I think the mother to be should decide for herself whether or not to go ahead with a pregnancy, depending on her personal circumstances. I don't agree with abortion as a method of birth control, that's simply callous.

What about the wait time for elective surgeries, such as the total knee replacement that I had last year?  I've heard that it can be quite lengthy. 

Again according to Google, the average waiting time is 18 weeks. I've fortunately never been in that situation so I couldn't tell you how accurate that is. 

• Koala Face 1

Thank you sooo much KAREN, you have been VERY helpful, but one final, final, question. Who pays for those who want to go to college ? Oh and by the way, not all of your answers helped win all my side of the disagreements with my son, but enough did, so thanks again. But awaiting for this last answer to talk to him (LOL).  

For children who want to go into higher education, payment is deferred until age 19.

And at 19, they have to start paying it back ? Any guess how much they have to pay back ?

No, they don't pay anything back, that's the age they will start paying N.I. contributions.

Thanks again KAREN ! That's all the questions I have for now (LOL). you have been such a BIG help I'm giving you one more day free pass !