The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raj7641

Why do people hate Sheldon?

Welcome to the forum.

Even though I’m not a shipper I can feel you!

myfault.gif
…there's always hope. :shy:

• Like 1

I want to say maybe sheldon don't want to hurt other people,but objectively speaking,he do hurt others no matter he wants or not.By th way,I don't hate sheldon.

• Like 2

Because he's an insufferable, arrogant, selfish, asshat. Sorry he's had ample opportunity over time to redeem himself. But he still treats Leonard especially poorly.

• Like 4

As my father would say he's like a bad shit all over the place. Even when not needed.

• Like 2

Sheldon is my favorite character and I would have no interest in the show without him being there. 

Edited by Tensor
removed comment directed at other posters.
  • Like 3

TBBT would not be the same without Sheldon. IMO, the show would not survive without Sheldon as most people would stop watching. 

I don't think the majority of people that complain about Sheldon actually hate him. The issue that I have these days with 'Sheldon being Sheldon' is that he has supposedly grown into a more socially aware human being. This makes the behaviors which tended to be tolerated or excused from the earlier seasons now unacceptable. Season 1 Sheldon could say something that many would find grossly offensive but it would be overlooked by his friends because they knew of his limitations concerning social interactions. The same comment in Season 10 is no longer that easy to explain away. We are supposed to believe that he has advanced in his understanding of socially acceptable behavior so, we expect his actions to match that new level of understanding. And, we find his friends continuing to accept the cruel, condescending, and insensitive things he says and does to be illogical and frequently unbelievable. Which leads to a lot of the 'anti-Sheldon' sentiments you see on these boards.

Just my thoughts on the OP's question...

• Like 5

Lots of people hate Sheldon because the show is written that way.      From the beginning,  Leonard was written as the "straight man" (comedy term for the guy in a comedy team who is effectively the stand in for the audience.    The normal character whose is the butt of jokes and the observer for the antics of the "comic(s)".   

Thus the audience was always intended to sympathize with Leonard in general and his pursuit of Penny in particular. 

And despite Sheldon's obvious affection and support of Leonard,   Leonard has frequently been the object of his derision and arrogant dismissals. 

• Like 4

Well I don't hate him at all and I think he is the most or the 2nd most important character in the show and he has a good sense of humor but different from the regular shows, maybe people hates him because they think he is rude but honestly the very smart people are exactly like him. If Sheldon was not in that show maybe Big Bang Theory wont have been that famous show.

Regards,

Gustavo Woltmann

• Like 1

Personally I've always identified my self as mixture of Sheldon,Howard+more sarcasm,black humour and a bit of creepiness I suppose (which contradicts Sheldon in a way but trust me I have my Sheldon moments very often) since I started watching during my teenage years (I was 12!).Naturaly,the two characters were my favourite and especially Sheldon!The thing is,I never expected him to be a better person,never believed that all the times he insulted people he was unaware of it.Surely,he had/has social issues,obviously he's written that way but he has always been is the character prone to pick fights and have "enemies". Isn't this showing a bit of hatred (ok,hatred is a strong word) for other people?For me this is a sign of an a-hole (don't know the swearing rules here lol),he's always been one and will be.You can understand why people don't like a-holes but aren't we all at times?I know I am,more often than I'd like,it's almost natural!Therefore I cannot hate him.Not to mention will be both physicists who prefer theory over experiment and Star Trek over Star Wars...

I don't think people actually hate Sheldon.

They probably don't like him because, to paraphrase Leonard:-

"Sheldon is judgmental, sanctimonious and frankly just obnoxious."

:biggrin:

Years of watching the Big Bang Theory has not blunted my hatred of Sheldon Cooper.  I hang in there in the hope that one day he'll get his comeuppance, alas to no avail. To quote  a previous comment, "Sheldon is judgemental, sanctimonious and frankly just obnoxious" - to which I add he is condescending, cunning  and downright nasty.  Surely after the years he has spent with his friends, the scriptwriters could temper this nastiness, without taking away his quirkiness. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Cariadbach said:

To quote  a previous comment, "Sheldon is judgmental, sanctimonious and frankly just obnoxious"

Actually, I was quoting Leonard's observation about Amy, from The Zazzy Substitution.

49 minutes ago, Cariadbach said:

to which I add he is condescending, cunning  and downright nasty.

Although, to be fair, he's not the only one.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, Cariadbach said:

Years of watching the Big Bang Theory has not blunted my hatred of Sheldon Cooper.  I hang in there in the hope that one day he'll get his comeuppance, alas to no avail. To quote  a previous comment, "Sheldon is judgemental, sanctimonious and frankly just obnoxious" - to which I add he is condescending, cunning  and downright nasty.  Surely after the years he has spent with his friends, the scriptwriters could temper this nastiness, without taking away his quirkiness. :icon_rolleyes:

So you want to take away nearly everything that makes Sheldon funny?  It was a pretty big blow when they did it to Howard but now the show has morphed into The Sheldon Show because he's the only one capable of delivering big laughs anymore.  They might as well stop calling the show a comedy if they neuter Sheldon any more than they already have

People hate Sheldon because he's supposed to be hated.  We see Sheldon the same as all the other characters do and most of them can barely stand him half the time.  The show presents us with a lot of mixed messages so that we ultimately don't hate Sheldon because people might not watch anymore if they really hated him.  We are supposed to laugh at how his abrasive behavior agitates the other characters and feel for him because he doesn't usually intend to be such a jerk and has difficulty recognizing when he's being one.  

Edited by Tensor
Removed negative comment about people who hate Sheldon
  • Like 3

i think it's because of his OCD Sheldon likes to keep everything under-control and his way i have the same thing no matter what you sayto me i will not do it it has to go my way and my way only that's like sheldon he does not like change so changing something is bad for him ad make him angry

He is unlikeable. By design, but my belief is that that dial has been turned to 11. No-one in my household can stand him anymore, even though the rest of the characters have their moments. Sheldon just makes my family shudder a bit  - largely from his overt meanness and the way he talks over everyone else. He once had a degree of innocence to his offensiveness that excused him because he was apparently clueless, but often now he appears to act meanly because he enjoys it. No one watches in my house except occasionally on internet catch-up, when one of the quinquagenarians is curious about where the show is at.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

He is unlikeable. By design, but my belief is that that dial has been turned to 11. No-one in my household can stand him anymore, even though the rest of the characters have their moments. Sheldon just makes my family shudder a bit  - largely from his overt meanness and the way he talks over everyone else. He once had a degree of innocence to his offensiveness that excused him because he was apparently clueless, but often now he appears to act meanly because he enjoys it. No one watches in my house except occasionally on internet catch-up, when one of the quinquagenarians is curious about where the show is at.

Howdy! Good to "see" you!:girlsmile:

• Like 2

@Nogravitasatall i think your wrong by it's opinion i think none understands him other then Amy he is like a child wanting to be loved by friends and they pushed him away he is only like that because he has to be that's how he talks but the guys got used to him once he was around and he got better thanks to Amy

4 hours ago, shamyarmy2016 said:

@Nogravitasatall i think your wrong by it's opinion i think none understands him other then Amy he is like a child wanting to be loved by friends and they pushed him away he is only like that because he has to be that's how he talks but the guys got used to him once he was around and he got better thanks to Amy

Opinion formed by long exposure over many years. I was a true obsessive from 2008, with many episodes watched 10s of times. Now I struggle to get through 18 minutes just the once, even if Sheldon only takes 10 of those minutes.  Watching Amy and Sheldon play house is a stab in the heart. But appreciation is subjective. I'm glad you enjoy it.

To be honest, American politics is more gripping to watch. New scenes and plot twists every day. The unscripted reality show wins.

Going back to my (Mem Fox*) hole. See you. 

And best wishes to all. :) 

*there's a story

• Like 8

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, shamyarmy2016 said:

@Nogravitasatall I think your wrong by it's opinion. I think no one understands him other then Amy.He is like a child wanting to be loved by friends and they pushed him away. He is only like that because he has to be. That's how he talks, but the guys got used to him once he was around and he got better thanks to Amy.

And I think YOU are wrong, because the guys have always been good to him and helped him even when he wasn't (according to you) "better" because of Amy. I contend that that's not even the case. In seeing re-runs Sheldon is less mean in earlier seasons, but I believe that's true of all the characters. I think that Amy has made him more socially aware so when he's mean now, it is more because he wants to be, and not because he doesn't know which makes him even worse.

Furthermore, Leonard first and the Lenny as a whole have taken care of him since the beginning so I really don't understand what you're referring to when you say his friends pushed him away. Lenny were even there when Amy wasn't, so.....

• Like 5

On 03/02/2017 at 2:03 PM, No Regrets said:

Let's say there's no way I'd wanna be friends with someone like Sheldon in real life, but I don't hate him on TV. I just hate that the writers focus on him 80% of the time and can't be bothered to write proper stuff for everybody else.

I wholeheartedly agree that the scriptwriters are obsessed with that nasty piece of work that is Sheldon Cooper. Ok , so he's quirky and clearly too clever for his own good, but a lot of the time he knows exactly the impact his words have on those around him.  It must be very frustrating for the other actors ( though I accept they are well paid for what they do) not to be given the words and the chance to bring down the "nerk".  Having said that, Amy sometimes has a damn good try!

• Like 3
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

On 2/3/2017 at 9:03 AM, No Regrets said:

[I have no idea why this thread insists I reply to a specific poster]

I would definitely be friends with him.

I like people who challenge me.  It doesn't mean he would not drive me nuts, at times.  He would.  But I like playing tennis with players better than I am and the same with smarts.  

Everybody does not hate him. The folks on Digital Spy voted him the 10th best television character of the last 17 years.

He's kind of a modern day Eddie Haskell.  When he's on screen, you don't necessarily like him, but you can't take your eyes off him or wait to see how others react.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

He's kind of a modern day Eddie Haskell.  When he's on screen, you don't necessarily like him, but you can't take your eyes off him or wait to see how others react.

Actually, I'm at the point now that when he's on screen, I'm mostly fast forwarding through that scene.   

• Like 2