The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raj7641

Why do people hate Sheldon?

On 29/06/2017 at 1:55 AM, Tensor said:

Actually, I'm at the point now that when he's on screen, I'm mostly fast forwarding through that scene.   

Me too.

Me too.

Just give up watching like me, then you don't have to put up with the nutjob.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm a 60 years old widower from The Netherlands. I've been watching BBT ever since one of our tv-stations started showing it. They show BBT every day; they even started ll over about 6 times.... annoying, but I watch the reruns every time... until they start over again for the 7th time. I stay up to date with the US thanks to the internet. Tonight I'm going to watch episode 1 of season 11.

BBT IS funny, that's a simple fact. But the older I get, the more irritating Sheldon gets. I think Leonard has a nervous system made of 3 feet thick concrete. I think I would have moved out after 1 day with Sheldon, or wrung his neck if I stayed a second day. And: Leonard seems to be the only one who gets fed up with Sheldon every now and then. I don't think the writers and producers will change Sheldon, but I think it's about time he would be a bit more like a regular human being. It's also a mystery to me that Penny has a huge soft spot for Sheldon, while she's proven more than once that she actually CAN open her mouth if things don't go the way she wants.

I really hope that in future episodes aomeone follows Sheldon to his bedroom when he's annoyed again by an argument or something, and explains to him that the world he lives in doesn't exist. That would make things a little more realistic. Raj's, Howard's and even Barry's weird characters are fine with me, but Sheldon's ways are getting to me, especially his knocking 3 times .... must be old age. .. or is it?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Loek57 said:

Hi, I'm a 60 years old widower from The Netherlands. I've been watching BBT ever since one of our tv-stations started showing it. They show BBT every day; they even started ll over about 6 times.... annoying, but I watch the reruns every time... until they start over again for the 7th time. I stay up to date with the US thanks to the internet. Tonight I'm going to watch episode 1 of season 11.

BBT IS funny, that's a simple fact. But the older I get, the more irritating Sheldon gets. I think Leonard has a nervous system made of 3 feet thick concrete. I think I would have moved out after 1 day with Sheldon, or wrung his neck if I stayed a second day. And: Leonard seems to be the only one who gets fed up with Sheldon every now and then. I don't think the writers and producers will change Sheldon, but I think it's about time he would be a bit more like a regular human being. It's also a mystery to me that Penny has a huge soft spot for Sheldon, while she's proven more than once that she actually CAN open her mouth if things don't go the way she wants.

I really hope that in future episodes aomeone follows Sheldon to his bedroom when he's annoyed again by an argument or something, and explains to him that the world he lives in doesn't exist. That would make things a little more realistic. Raj's, Howard's and even Barry's weird characters are fine with me, but Sheldon's ways are getting to me, especially his knocking 3 times .... must be old age. .. or is it?

Sorry for ask you but  this but have you watched all seasons and all episodes or just a few radom ones in repeat? I am asking you because where I live the reruns are not about all seasons and all episodes but mostly the most rated and famous among the fans. Which for me is unfair for the viewer who enjoy to watch all package as me. When I watch a show I watch all seasons and episodes. Hence my question because people I know that only watch reruns sometimes dont have a full perspective about what have been happening in characters lives since the beginning. I dont mean you dont, course. You have the right of not enjoyin Sheldon.  Just curiosity.

BTW, welcome to fórum. Hope you have fun! :)

• Like 3

@Loek57
Hello too, I'm also a "57er" and literally from the neighbourhood (Germany). Welcome to the forum.
I really understand your thoughts about Sheldon. However, I believe that its core character will not change completely, despite some changes of his usual routine over time. As a trademark, he probably continues to carry his good reputation as a "dumb-bass" in the series. Often very annoying, but also funny sometimes (IMO).
After all, we're watching a comedy, not a real life spectacle. :icon_cheesygrin:

22 hours ago, Loek57 said:

Welcome! 

I am 56 years old and don't think age has anything to do with finding Sheldon annoying. Let's face it: Sheldon is, on some levels, supposed to be annoying. To Leonard, Penny, his friends, coworkers, and us. That's a big part of the Sheldon experience. We, the viewers, are the only ones meant to find him amusing as he annoys the show personas. But, it is inevitable that sometimes he will annoy us, as well.

I'm not sure how many seasons you have seen to this point, but I can tell you that Sheldon does change. Whether it is for the good, or bad, is a point of debate in these forums. He does not, however, stop the triple knock...

The only reason ppl dont like him is because he takes screentime away from the ship/favorite character.

• Like 3
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Just because he's included in a list of the greatest characters, isn't the same as being included on the list of most liked characters.   It would also depend on what Sheldon someone is talking about.   There are quite a few people who loved the Sheldon of seasons 1-4, that now don't like the current Sheldon.   For me, he could be humorous, in an innocent way, until they started showing he knew what he was doing.  Doing something innocently, like being driven around because he doesn't have a drivers license, is a bit different than being driven around because, although he now has his own license, he prefers being driven around.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Just because he's included in a list of the greatest characters, isn't the same as being included on the list of most liked characters.   It would also depend on what Sheldon someone is talking about.   There are quite a few people who loved the Sheldon of seasons 1-4, that now don't like the current Sheldon.   For me, he could be humorous, in an innocent way, until they started showing he knew what he was doing.  Doing something innocently, like being driven around because he doesn't have a drivers license, is a bit different than being driven around because, although he now has his own license, he prefers being driven around.  

And then there are those who do not like him as a person, but like watching him.

Kind of like Eddie Haskell.

Personally, I would not want someone with Sheldon's anxieties driving me anywhere.

1 minute ago, Capt. Hilts said:

And then there are those who do not like him as a person, but like watching him.

Kind of like Eddie Haskell.

Good points.  

1 minute ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Personally, I would not want someone with Sheldon's anxieties driving me anywhere.

Well, if I was around Sheldon, license or not, he would drive me crazy. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2017 at 2:21 PM, Chiany said:

The only reason ppl dont like him is because he takes screentime away from the ship/favorite character.

Or because he is a ratbag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People don't dislike Sheldon because he takes screen time away from other characters. It is usually because alot of his unique traits and characteristics have become irritating as the series has gone by. And they have exposed and isolated them. Sheldon really has no redeeming qualities imo. 

IT is kinda weird analogy and comparison. But Peter from Family Guy's Childness used to be so endering. But as the series went on it became annoying. So even if Sheldon gets one second of screen time or 30 mins. IT does not change this This show became popular because of all the characters. So to suggest it is okay for the show to neglect the other characters. Simply because of peoples susposed Ship Biases. I just cannot accept. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

People don't dislike Sheldon because he takes screen time away from other characters. It is usually because alot of his unique traits and characteristics have become irritating as the series has gone by. And they have exposed and isolated them. Sheldon really has no redeeming qualities imo. 

IT is kinda weird analogy and comparison. But Peter from Family Guy's Childness used to be so endering. But as the series went on it became annoying. So even if Sheldon gets one second of screen time or 30 mins. IT does not change this This show became popular because of all the characters. So to suggest it is okay for the show to neglect the other characters. Simply because of peoples susposed Ship Biases. I just cannot accept. 

So if the show lost one character, the show would not have been that popular?

I hate the scriptwriters mission to continue - ad nauseum - to put that bloody Sheldon Cooper in the centre of most of the action.  I wish the other five friends had more airtime. Admittedly some of Cooper’s awkward corners have been softened, but he is still a patronising, inconsiderate and downright nasty piece of work who on occasion really needs a slap.  Hope this series will end soon.  I know, I know - why do I watch it - well, I need to see SC get his comeuppance 😏

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Cariadbach said:

I hate the scriptwriters mission to continue - ad nauseum - to put that bloody Sheldon Cooper in the centre of most of the action.  I wish the other five friends had more airtime. Admittedly some of Cooper’s awkward corners have been softened, but he is still a patronising, inconsiderate and downright nasty piece of work who on occasion really needs a slap.  Hope this series will end soon.  I know, I know - why do I watch it - well, I need to see SC get his comeuppance 😏

I hate to say it, but that will never happen as long Sheldon is the golden haired love child of the writers and TPTB. The closest you'll get is Episode S10/E9 entitled "The Geology Elevation". That's the one where he drops a rock on his foot and then hurts the other foot while kicking that rock. Then, slips and hits his head on the water cooler. The best line I've heard in the entire run of the show was where after hitting his head, he yelled out "Leonard help, I've hurt myself again".

I have a friend a "Sheldon" in my life.

Ornery. Selfish. Arrogant. Blunt...etc...

But he's the first to show up when you need help, or need a volunteer.

So, there's lot to hate about him. But, there's much more to like about him.

Edited by CookieCrusher
  • Like 1

On 11.2.2018 at 12:23 AM, CookieCrusher said:

I have a friend a "Sheldon" in my life.

Ornery. Selfish. Arrogant. Blunt...etc...

But he's the first to show up when you need help, or need a volunteer.

So, there's lot to hate about him. But, there's much more to like about him.

Sheldon would not be the first to come though. In this group the first to come would be Leonard amd Penny. The opening of "The Escape Hatch Identification" (10×18) shows it well: Raj has nowhere to go. Sheldon and Amy don't even talk about it. Howard and Bernadette, who have the biggest house and are closest to Raj, do offer him to stay but after many mean jokes. Leonard and Penny (a bit reluctant but) quickly decide to offer him their spare room. 

• Like 2

People don't necessarily hate Sheldon, just his attitude and the way he treats his friends. You really have to blame Mary for the way Sheldon acts. She never taught him the basic law, If you can't say something nice, keep your damn mouth shut. Some think his actions are funny and they are in a sitcom, but then you think, I wouldn't tolerate those actions toward me, my girlfriend or wife. As I said, it's just a TV show, but that don't stop people from hating his comments and actions.

I think there is a bit of Sheldon in everyone. Most people are good at keeping their inner Sheldon buried deep. Gosh how he can come to the surface on occasion (like say when a kid simply won't believe the next step needed to solve their math problem).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chucky said:

People don't necessarily hate Sheldon, just his attitude and the way he treats his friends. You really have to blame Mary for the way Sheldon acts. She never taught him the basic law, If you can't say something nice, keep your damn mouth shut. Some think his actions are funny and they are in a sitcom, but then you think, I wouldn't tolerate those actions toward me, my girlfriend or wife. As I said, it's just a TV show, but that don't stop people from hating his comments and actions.

I wouuldn't say Mary is "to blame". She did try. Perhaps she could do better, who knows, but she has a difficult child who puzzled her and her husband on a daily basis. At the time there was also much less knowledge and interventions to help a child like this and his family. Sheldon may have the knowledge that he should not say "mean things" but he has problems realizing what is mean or how mean it is and in which cases it should not be said, and also has problems restraining himself and let go of an opportunity to degrade others and elevate himself (this is kind of a cycle, he behaves this way perhaps partly because he does feel inadequate and rejected and this behavior leads to further rejection and feeling of inadequacy...).

4 hours ago, bfm said:

I wouuldn't say Mary is "to blame". She did try. Perhaps she could do better, who knows, but she has a difficult child who puzzled her and her husband on a daily basis. At the time there was also much less knowledge and interventions to help a child like this and his family. Sheldon may have the knowledge that he should not say "mean things" but he has problems realizing what is mean or how mean it is and in which cases it should not be said, and also has problems restraining himself and let go of an opportunity to degrade others and elevate himself (this is kind of a cycle, he behaves this way perhaps partly because he does feel inadequate and rejected and this behavior leads to further rejection and feeling of inadequacy...).

Why he acts the way he does is purely speculation on our part. Everyone has their own idea. My opinion is he's just an egotistical ass who thinks he's better than everyone else and doesn't need to listen to people he considers inferiors.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, chucky said:

Why he acts the way he does is purely speculation on our part. Everyone has their own idea. My opinion is he's just an egotistical ass who thinks he's better than everyone else and doesn't need to listen to inferiors.

He did show that at times he does not see how mean he is... I guess one could put it down to pretending, I doubt it as in the past it had caused him his job and relationship. But you are right, the extent of his difficulties is up to speculation as there is no bulletproof evidence (not sure there could be). As for the part I put iin parenthesis, I did write perhaps.