The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raj7641

Why do people hate Sheldon?

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Why he acts the way he does is purely speculation on our part. Everyone has their own idea. My opinion is he's just an egotistical ass who thinks he's better than everyone else and doesn't need to listen to inferiors.

Basically this is just me clarifying my position on the subject.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:23 PM, CookieCrusher said:

I have a friend a "Sheldon" in my life.

Ornery. Selfish. Arrogant. Blunt...etc...

But he's the first to show up when you need help, or need a volunteer.

So, there's lot to hate about him. But, there's much more to like about him.

The difference is Sheldon isn't usually the first one to show up  he usually has to be shamed or bribed into helping his friends.  Oh, there are times when he helps voluntarily, but overall, he tries to duck out far more than he jumps in to help.  

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bfm said:

Sheldon would not be the first to come though. In this group the first to come would be Leonard amd Penny. The opening of "The Escape Hatch Identification" (10×18) shows it well: Raj has nowhere to go. Sheldon and Amy don't even talk about it. Howard and Bernadette, who have the biggest house and are closest to Raj, do offer him to stay but after many mean jokes. Leonard and Penny (a bit reluctant but) quickly decide to offer him their spare room. 

Who helped Penny when she fell behind with her rent?

It wasn't Leonard.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CookieCrusher said:

It wasn't Leonard.

Leonard was miles away

@Tensor said it well. Sheldon may help at times but he is not the first to help and may try to get out of it or not even think about it.

ETA: I just saw you wrote about the rent, I read fall and jumped to the conclusion it was about the time she dislocated her shoulder. As for the rent, Leonard did want to help but she didn't let him, so eventually he helped by making Kurt give her back her money.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bfm said:

Leonard was miles away

@Tensor said it well. Sheldon may help at times but he is not the first to help and may try to get out of it or not even think about it.

I didnt notice that Sheldon was hesitant to help her. He just did. And knowing Sheldon's character he didn't want anything in return....if you know what I mean.

3 minutes ago, CookieCrusher said:

I didnt notice that Sheldon was hesitant to help her. He just did. And knowing Sheldon's character he didn't want anything in return....if you know what I mean.

Even Leonard admitted that Sheldon's willingness to help out with money issues is one of the good things about him.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CookieCrusher said:

I said he helps at times. At other times he may hesitate and then help, at other he may not even think about it. All in all I won't expect Sheldon to be the first to help out of this group.

P.S: Leonard helped Penny many times when they weren't together. After he went to ask Kurt for her money he could have told her ( he hade evidence on his forhead!), he didn't.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CookieCrusher said:

It wasn't Leonard.

Yes it was.   In one instance (2.14, The Financial Permeability) , he didn't know she was behind, she told Sheldon.  Once Leonard found out, and actually found out why she was behind (she leant money to Kurt), he went to Kurt's to get her money back.  Which ended up with Kurt paying her back, which led to her paying Sheldon back.   She didn't need a loan from Sheldon, she needed her money back from Kurt. Something Sheldon bailed on.  

And in another instance, he did pay her rent, along with a few other things.  From 4.02, The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification:

Penny: What am I up to now?

Leonard: Well, okay, with the Indian food, the pizza, the Thai food, the tank of gas, the frozen yogurt and your rent, uh, a little over fourteen hundred dollars.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CookieCrusher said:

It wasn't Leonard.

That was a one time deal. Any other time he has to be dragged, kicking and screaming to help anybody. I don't know how many times he's called Penny a slut, just not in those words. Sheldon, 90% of the time won't help anyone unless forced.

Edited by Tensor
Removed comment directed at another member.

Some people can't accept, even now when it's staring them in the face, that there is no show without Sheldon. He's the one who made this show unique. Lots of other shows featured neighbors, friends, the nerdy guy dreaming of marrying the hot girl. but Sheldon was something that hadn't been done before. Sheldon is what made me watch the show. And as Tensor has pointed out with his stats, reacting to Sheldon or interacting with him has always been a major part of the show. He's the linchpin everything turned on for years.

On 3/2/2017 at 3:44 PM, Nogravitasatall said:

Now I struggle to get through 18 minutes just the once, even if Sheldon only takes 10 of those minutes.  Watching Amy and Sheldon play house is a stab in the heart. But appreciation is subjective. I'm glad you enjoy it.

I defy anyone to show me an ep with ten minutes of just Sheldon. There aren't any. This has been proved again and again. And there are very few eps with just Amy and Sheldon for ten minutes. This just is not true. It's been proven as well.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:03 AM, No Regrets said:

I just hate that the writers focus on him 80% of the time and can't be bothered to write proper stuff for everybody else.

I totally agree that they can't write proper stuff for everyone else but totally disagree that 80% of the show is totally focused on Sheldon. Again, he is reacting with others of they are interacting with him a lot, but not 80% every week.

On 6/28/2017 at 7:58 AM, Capt. Hilts said:

He's kind of a modern day Eddie Haskell.  When he's on screen, you don't necessarily like him, but you can't take your eyes off him or wait to see how others react.

Absolutely.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:17 PM, CookieCrusher said:

Then the whole show lost my interest when Sheldon, and Penny, ceased to be who they were during first few years..

They were more funny when they were adversaries than friends. That I agree with.

• Like 2

To say that Sheldon doesn't mean to be mean to others with his comments or words and even actions is not that true. Sheldon admits himself that he wishes to harm his intended target to make them feel as bad as he feels and sometimes worst. Every 2 or 3 shows he plots some sort of revenge on someone he considers wronged him. The problem is no one can definitely identify what he considers  as being wronged. 

As you stated Sheldon has done very nice things for his friends but he has done some very bad things to them too. He kept the fact that he had an actual drivers license hidden for over 2 years because as he explained to Amy, he simply liked to be chauffeured around because it made him feel important. How about the time Sheldon told the FBI about Howard's attempt of impressing a date by crashing the mars rover. That caused Howard to lose his shot for a security clearance that he was needing. He also admitted that the only reason why he gave Howard such a hard time about his education (Not having a PHD) was because Howard had made a comment about Sheldon 10 years prior that Sheldon didn't like. Sheldon also cost the group a possible fortune at one point because 7 years prior the group had an idea to mine for bitcoins and they excluded Sheldon from participating. So Sheldon stole the bitcoin file from Leonard's computer and put it on a batman flash drive that was latter lost. 

But as someone stated in an earlier post it's not that people hate Sheldon , it that the Sheldon persona is completely obnoxious. Sheldon persona makes this show so much more funny yes but I personally would not be able to live with someone who acted exactly like Sheldon. Yes he is sometimes naïve and doesn't realize what he says is actually hurtful but on most occasions he is. After all as he says so often he is a genius and a grown man. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gary C Belleville said:

To say that Sheldon doesn't mean to be mean to others with his comments or words and even actions is not that true. Sheldon admits himself that he wishes to harm his intended target to make them feel as bad as he feels and sometimes worst. Every 2 or 3 shows he plots some sort of revenge on someone he considers wronged him. The problem is no one can definitely identify what he considers  as being wronged. 

As you stated Sheldon has done very nice things for his friends but he has done some very bad things to them too. He kept the fact that he had an actual drivers license hidden for over 2 years because as he explained to Amy, he simply liked to be chauffeured around because it made him feel important. How about the time Sheldon told the FBI about Howard's attempt of impressing a date by crashing the mars rover. That caused Howard to lose his shot for a security clearance that he was needing. He also admitted that the only reason why he gave Howard such a hard time about his education (Not having a PHD) was because Howard had made a comment about Sheldon 10 years prior that Sheldon didn't like. Sheldon also cost the group a possible fortune at one point because 7 years prior the group had an idea to mine for bitcoins and they excluded Sheldon from participating. So Sheldon stole the bitcoin file from Leonard's computer and put it on a batman flash drive that was latter lost. 

But as someone stated in an earlier post it's not that people hate Sheldon , it that the Sheldon persona is completely obnoxious. Sheldon persona makes this show so much more funny yes but I personally would not be able to live with someone who acted exactly like Sheldon. Yes he is sometimes naïve and doesn't realize what he says is actually hurtful but on most occasions he is. After all as he says so often he is a genius and a grown man. 

I love Sheldon. He's a personality on a sitcom. It's not to be taken so seriously. Yes, I think the writers went overboard at times but I feel JP played the character so well and saved him at times.

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong, I love him too as a television character. I wouldn't want to live with him(Really not)  but in the show he does make me laugh. When I wrote how he could be mean I was replying to someone who was saying that most of his insults and actions were from not knowing any better. As a character I really don't think the show would have been the same. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gary C Belleville said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love him too as a television character. I wouldn't want to live with him(Really not)  but in the show he does make me laugh. When I wrote how he could be mean I was replying to someone who was saying that most of his insults and actions were from not knowing any better. As a character I really don't think the show would have been the same. 

Yes, I think everyone brought something that made the show what it was. The actors always gave the writers huge credit but I really don't think it would have been such a hit without that exact cast. They were all great

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/19/2016 at 1:09 PM, Raj7641 said:

realized that most people find him selfish, annoying, irritating, a-hole or Jerk. 

Nobody jumped to those conclusions, that's a perfect description of his character.  Mary definitely should have gotten a second opinion on whether he was crazy or not. If he doesn't get his way he'll cry, mope or run away. A good example is all the agreements he wrote that were slanted his way so that he always got his way. Personally, I don't hate Sheldon. There was just waaaay too much of him the last 3 years. 

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Where to start... where to start? He is the reason I think the show has flaws. Yes, he is supposed to be a genius. Yes, he is insufferable. My family has a Sheldon... a cousin who did army biological research and now is writing papers for NASA and all sorts of metabolism studies involving suspending rats by their tails, etc. Anyway, Sheldon's squeaky voice is worse than chalk on a blackboard. It is obviously put on... I have never heard Jim Parsons off camera, but I cannot believe such an annoying voice really exists. I do know he is in real life a gay person. However, I feel perhaps the LGBT community finds him insulting and flamingly over the top. Nathan Lane on Modern World and in Bird Cage did a wonderful job of being both funny and a flaming gay... even by gay standards. Nathan Lane acts in a credible manner in his roles. Jim Parsons does not. His character just breaks through the credibility meter and crashes into a poor cartoon version of what might have been a solid acting and performing character that held up as well as the rest of the cast, which by the way, did a wonderful job week after week, year after year.

So... there is the reason why I hate Sheldon Cooper or perhaps the derivative version acted by Jim Parsons. He is the fly in the ointment that spoils a terrific job of adequate writing and commitment by the rest of the cast. Kaley Cuoco is the main reason I started and continued watching. It was not to watch obvious Jewish and Indian jokes, toilet jokes, and low hanging fruit puns and innuendos. The weekly sizzle that kept the series going was the pursuit dream of an average nerd with high intelligence pursuing the hot girl. And 90 million nerds tuning in weekly to see if he gets the hot girl, all the while taking notes to see how he does it. The payoff is Leonard actually marrying Penny, and the payoff continued as people watched weekly, in a voyeur sense of experiencing life as they never would. 

The Bernadette / Howard plots were distracting and close to annoying. We sympathized with Rajesh as we hoped he could navigate the dating rituals of the USA. Leonard was us, as we watched him pursue the hot girl. Sheldon was a plot point in his character, and I am sure the writing could have been solid for Sheldon, had a suitable actor been found who could breathe real life into the character, instead of making fun of the character. That is, although Jim was indeed a gay man, what he brought to the screen is definitely not what a real gay person is like. Nathan Lane as I alluded to earlier... as a younger person... would have been a perfect Sheldon Cooper. I actually wonder if the Nathan Lane at the series start might not have been much funnier than Jim Parsons.

That was the problem for me. I could not suspend my disbelief and accept Sheldon Cooper as real. All I saw in his annoying portrayal week to week was a screeching narcissistic cartoon who in real life would have been flung to the curb by any real band of genuinely intelligent people. Leonard, Howard, and Rajesh struck me as real. Penny acted real, and was written as real. So did Amy and even a screechy Bernadette, who nevertheless was suitably credible. I found myself constantly wanting Sheldon to just STHU throughout the episodes, but saw so much good in the other characters and writing that it kept me coming back. I don't know how to express my constant disappointment in not seeing what the series could have been with an adequate lead actor. Any adequate lead actor... straight or gay. 

10 hours ago, Piercejeans said:

Where to start... where to start? He is the reason I think the show has flaws. ….

I can't help you there. He is the only reason I watched the show. I was just happy I actually liked the whole  cast but I believe Jim Parsons brought a professionalism to the character that can never be duplicated He was a genius--in his role. Some people just do not like the actor and I get that, that can sometimes be the case. But, I for one really like the actor and think he his good at everything he does

• Like 2

I personally have no problem with either Sheldon, the character or Jim Parsons, the actor.  Jim portrayed Sheldon perfectly, in my opinion. My problem is The Powers That Be transformed TBBT into The Sheldon Cooper Show. The once ensemble show became a one main character show with a cast of supporting actors. As good as an actor Jim is or as interesting a character as Sheldon is, a didn't care for 15 minuets an episode of them. The show was better in the earlier years when it was an ensemble show. The cast blended better and complimented each other better in the earlier seasons. That's my opinion, others may see things or feel differently and that's alright too.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, chucky said:

I personally have no problem with either Sheldon, the character or Jim Parsons, the actor.  Jim portrayed Sheldon perfectly, in my opinion. My problem is The Powers That Be transformed TBBT into The Sheldon Cooper Show. The once ensemble show became a one main character show with a cast of supporting actors. As good as an actor Jim is or as interesting a character as Sheldon is, a didn't care for 15 minuets an episode of them. The show was better in the earlier years when it was an ensemble show. The cast blended better and complimented each other better in the earlier seasons. That's my opinion, others may see things or feel differently and that's alright too. story lines 

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As you say Jim Parsons played this character perfectly  The only problem for me was that he dominated almost every episode. I have mentioned previously on this forum that Sheldon/Shamy stories took up  about 75% of the  episodes the last three years . I also must say that watching all the reruns Sheldon became such an annoying character  for me that you just wanted someone to tell him to STFU  I also agree the writers took away  some storylines from the other characters to write the Sheldon/Shamy characters

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As you say Jim Parsons played this character perfectly  The only problem for me was that he dominated almost every episode. I have mentioned previously on this forum that Sheldon/Shamy stories took up  about 75% of the  episodes the last three years . I also must say that watching all the reruns Sheldon became such an annoying character  for me that you just wanted someone to tell him to STFU  I also agree the writers took away  some storylines from the other characters to write the Sheldon/Shamy characters

Totally agreed!

Sheldon's a lot like Judy Geller.

They say what they think, without considering the feelings of the people they're saying it to/about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Sheldon's a lot like Judy Geller.

They say what they think, without considering the feelings of the people they're saying it to/about.

A perfect description of Dr. Cooper. He says what he means and means what he says regardless of the consequences.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I thought Sheldon was an example of a form of autism. Hopefully his character has given an appreciation for those with the disorder, has educated the general population, and raised the status of those with it. 

Edited by Molecules
more stuff

2 hours ago, Molecules said:

I thought Sheldon was an example of a form of autism. Hopefully his character has given an appreciation for those with the disorder, has educated the general population, and raised the status of those with it. 

Well, it was never expressed what his condition is....so for arguments sake he is OCD, obnoxious, insulting, and condescending to anyone he comes in contact with. It amazed how he kept any friends at all as he considered them his minions to take care of his every whim and chauffeur him wherever he needed to go. But I guess his friends enabled him just like his family did and so to him he expects this kind of attention.  And to think it took 12 years in the finale episode for someone  (Amy) to read him the riot act that his friends only tolerated him because he "never means to" insult them. Maybe if they had not let him get his way so much he might have realized it a little sooner.

9 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Well, it was never expressed what his condition is....so for arguments sake he is OCD, obnoxious, insulting, and condescending to anyone he comes in contact with.

A damn good description of Sheldon.