The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ben9

Penny's Last Name??

I've been rewatching seasons 1-9 due to them being on Netflix in the UK, and have got to Season 7 Ep 12 (The Hesitation Ramification). During the bit where Leonard shows Penny the Star Wars audition sheet (about 12 mins in) you can clearly see the page is filled out. I cannot upload a decent enough picture from my laptop though this might be clearer to people that have it on Blu-Ray etc. This may have been suggested before but I thought I might mention it (please don't hate me if it has :) ).

I'M pretty much new here so I don't know if this has been discussed in any other threads. I remember during the holidays reading another thread with 16 pages of replies and I couldn't find the answer to this. However this morning I was just going through the days main stories on MSN and it seems a group of fans might of figured it out. Here is the link to the article I read. https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/big-bang-theory-fans-think-theyve-worked-out-pennys-surname/ar-BBYMGHj?li=AAggFp5 I don't know if I am allowed to attach links or not , I hope I am not breaking any rules. If I am I am sorry and the admins may delete my post, I'll understand.  Now I am not claiming that the name found is accurate I am just sharing what I read and I do not claim this information to be mine. I do not know what group of fans found this response. Now I'll just copy and paste what I read. 

"In a fan theory that's been touted for a while now but is doing the rounds again, it's claimed the truth behind Penny's full name was first alluded to in season two.

Namely, when Penny meets Leonard's mum Beverly, played by the brilliant Christine Baranski, for the first time.

In an inadvertent therapy session, Penny recounts a story from her childhood to psychiatrist Beverly, recalling tension between her parents in which her mum called her dad "Bob".

Later on in the series, when Penny's dad – the artist formerly known as Bob – comes to visit Penny, Leonard calls him Wyatt.

In one of the more convincing Big Bang fan theories to date, it's suggested that Wyatt is actually Bob's surname, and by extension Penny's too.

So, there you have it. Penny Wyatt it is – until the next (Big Bang) theory comes along."

22 minutes ago, Gary C Belleville said:

In one of the more convincing Big Bang fan theories to date, it's suggested that Wyatt is actually Bob's surname, and by extension Penny's too.

So, there you have it. Penny Wyatt it is – until the next (Big Bang) theory comes along."

I don't think so. Penny's last name was and is a closely guarded secret. I believe her father's name is either Robert Wyatt as a first and second name or Wyatt Robert. The last name is never revealed. That would account for him to be called Bob and Wyatt. My father's name was James Charles. Some called him Jim, others JC and still others Charlie. Not to worry as now her last name is Hofstadter.  ☺️

• Like 2

Or, it could simply be the writers forgot about the Bob comment, and named him Wyatt, when he actually appeared on the show.   Continuity wasn’t the writers strong suit, at times.  Besides, we all know her name is now Hofstadter. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Besides, we all know her name is now Hofstadter. 

So true!

On 1/10/2020 at 1:19 PM, Gary C Belleville said:

I'M pretty much new here so I don't know if this has been discussed in any other threads. I remember during the holidays reading another thread with 16 pages of replies and I couldn't find the answer to this. However this morning I was just going through the days main stories on MSN and it seems a group of fans might of figured it out. Here is the link to the article I read. https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/big-bang-theory-fans-think-theyve-worked-out-pennys-surname/ar-BBYMGHj?li=AAggFp5 I don't know if I am allowed to attach links or not , I hope I am not breaking any rules. If I am I am sorry and the admins may delete my post, I'll understand.  Now I am not claiming that the name found is accurate I am just sharing what I read and I do not claim this information to be mine. I do not know what group of fans found this response. Now I'll just copy and paste what I read. 

"In a fan theory that's been touted for a while now but is doing the rounds again, it's claimed the truth behind Penny's full name was first alluded to in season two.

Namely, when Penny meets Leonard's mum Beverly, played by the brilliant Christine Baranski, for the first time.

In an inadvertent therapy session, Penny recounts a story from her childhood to psychiatrist Beverly, recalling tension between her parents in which her mum called her dad "Bob".

Later on in the series, when Penny's dad – the artist formerly known as Bob – comes to visit Penny, Leonard calls him Wyatt.

That is a terrible theory. Leonard would never call Penny's dad by his last name and I think Penny's mom calls him wyatt too. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nhisso said:

That is a terrible theory. Leonard would never call Penny's dad by his last name and I think Penny's mom calls him Wyatt too. 

Penny's last name is Hofstadter. Wyatt and Bob are both Penny's father's names. Probably Robert Wyatt or Wyatt Robert. I've had people call me Charles, Charlie, Chuck or my middle name. I won't disclose my middle name as I don't care for it. Penny's last name was never revealed, not even sneakily or by accident. No matter how many times that Chuck Lorre or Steve Molarno or Bill Prady have said she had no last name and that was by design, there are still people coming up with ways that show her supposedly last name. As you have said Leonard would ever call Penny's father and his father-in-law by his last name unless there was a Mister in front of it. I've never heard Leonard or anyone else call him Mr Wyatt!

Edited by chucky

Here's a possible answer to Penny's last name, or at least her stage name. You can find images of the movie posters from Serial Apeist, and Serial Apeist 2-Monkey See Monkey Kill. We need a computer geek. You can see that the Serial Apeist 2 poster states 'starring Wil Wheaton', even though he and Penny were fired. I can not make out if Penny is also credited on either poster. It is blurry. 

1 hour ago, Molecules said:

Here's a possible answer to Penny's last name, or at least her stage name. You can find images of the movie posters from Serial Apeist, and Serial Apeist 2-Monkey See Monkey Kill. We need a computer geek. You can see that the Serial Apeist 2 poster states 'starring Wil Wheaton', even though he and Penny were fired. I can not make out if Penny is also credited on either poster. It is blurry. 

Yeah I tried looking at that for some clue of her last name...even with a magnifying glass  but to no avail

45 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Yeah I tried looking at that for some clue of her last name...even with a magnifying glass  but to no avail

My thinking is a computer geek might be able to manipulate the image. With all those cop shows demonstrating video image enhancing, perhaps the poster could be, as well.

2 minutes ago, Molecules said:

My thinking is a computer geek might be able to manipulate the image. With all those cop shows demonstrating video image enhancing, perhaps the poster could be, as well.

Penny's last name is the closest guarded secret on TV. The reason it's so well of a kept secret is because before she married Leonard to become Penny Hofstadter, she didn't have a last name.

• Like 2