vonmar

TBBT Prequel.

336 posts in this topic

Posted

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, hokie3457 said:

Acutally, here I think they did mean "tonal" as the trailer gave us a different "tone" than TBBT. Young Sheldon appears to be more of a family sit-com than TBBT, thus it has a different tone.  At least that is my impression....

Its certainly a different audience. Do people watch TV as a family?

JE7 and joyceraye like this

Posted

25 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Its certainly a different audience. Do people watch TV as a family?

Not very often these days.  There is a product though that is called "family sit-com" sort of like The Middle or Modern Family....

joyceraye, bfm and JE7 like this

Posted

On 6/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, vonmar said:

From Variety

10 TV Stars to Watch in 2017

Iain Armitage  “Young Sheldon,” CBS

The pint-sized actor broke onto the scene with his first major role in HBO’s “Big Little Lies,” in which he played Shailene Woodley’s son, and now he’s gearing up for his own starring role in one of the buzziest sitcoms of the year: “The Big Bang Theory’s” prequel spinoff “Young Sheldon,” in which Armitage plays the kid version of Jim Parson’s titular character. Not bad for an 8-year-old.

Before landing the role of a lifetime, Armitage wasn’t a “Big Bang Theory” viewer, he admits. “I don’t get a chance to watch a lot of TV,” he says. “When I have free time, I usually go to the theater!” Indeed: Armitage, the child of an actor and a theater producer, first gained attention at the ripe age of six when he started posting Broadway reviews on YouTube, which went viral.

Though he isn’t a longtime fan of “Big Bang,” Armitage is a huge fan of Parsons’ work, both on-screen and behind the scenes. “He has been there every step of the way. He has talked to me a lot about Sheldon and helped me so much,” Armitage says. “It is pretty lucky to get advice from the world’s greatest Sheldon expert.”

Working alongside Woodley, Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman on “Big Little Lies” was the best training ground possible for a young actor, he says. “I learned so much from all of them,” he says. “I learned that you never need to show off or act like you are better than anyone. You can stay focused and work hard, but still have fun because this is all like a giant playground.”

iain-armitage.jpg

He was great in "Big Little Lies".

Carlos likes this

Posted (edited)

I find it odd that CBS chose the "special preview" on September 25th, but the series won't officially start-up until November. I understand that they want it to air behind the 11th season premiere of Big Bang, especially since the season opener of the parent series will draw plenty of eyes due to the 10th season finale cliffhanger. However, with a month in between new episodes, you'd think that they would have opted for just waiting until the mid-fall move to Thursdays. They could have kept both series on Mondays and moved them together in November, but I guess CBS wants all of their new, Monday series to get a boost from TBBT.

Edited by Kev0821
joyceraye likes this

Posted

On 6/3/2017 at 10:11 PM, Kev0821 said:

However, with a month in between new episodes, you'd think that they would have opted for just waiting until the mid-fall move to Thursdays.

That's a month for serious Big Bang fans to find fault with it, either due to canon disregardment or tone.

Carlos, joyceraye, JE7 and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, bfm said:

Thanks! I guess Berndatte is the biggest question. I wish they would just mention these things...they could easily say it on Amy's birthday... We don't even know Bernadette's and Howard's birthdays... Not that it is very important, I'm just curious :) Maybe in YS we will find out his mother's and brother's ages. 

Speaking of Bernadette I think it's worth mentioning that her daughter was the product of a 12 month long pregnancy made that long to coincide with Shamy's second coitus. Perhaps Bernadette could tell her daughter that (and psychologically scar her for life-lol-). In regards to young Sheldon, based on the advance I've seen, it feels tonally different than TBBT, and the inconsistencies with canon have already started. Furthermore Iain Armitage is way too likeable to turn into what Sheldon is portrayed as being when Leonard sub-let the room from him.

Edited by Carlos
joyceraye and JE7 like this

Posted

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Speaking of Bernadette I think it's worth mentioning that her daughter was the product of a 12 month long pregnancy made that long to coincide with Shamy's second coitus. Perhaps Bernadette could tell her daughter that (and psychologically scar her for life-lol-). In regards to young Sheldon, based on the advance I've seen, it feels tonally different than TBBT, and the inconsistencies with canon have already started. Furthermore Iain Armitage is way too likeable to turn into what Sheldon is portrayed as being when Leonard sub-rented the room from him.

About 11 months, but yeah... Still can't believe they did that. I wish someone told Molaro that in an interview, I want to see his reaction, preferably in video, when he understands that people actually pay attention and are not stupid... Such a disregard of their audience. 

I see what you term "likeable" as too responsive to others. I'll quote my mom again: "too neurotypical".

Carlos, joyceraye and JE7 like this

Posted

24 minutes ago, bfm said:

About 11 months, but yeah... Still can't believe they did that. I wish someone told Molaro that in an interview, I want to see his reaction, preferably in video, when he understands that people actually pay attention and are not stupid... Such a disregard of their audience. 

I see what you term "likeable" as too responsive to others. I'll quote my mom again: "too neurotypical".

"Too neurotypical"... nice!!!!!!!!!!!

joyceraye and JE7 like this

Posted

I wonder if they'll resort to any "stunt casting" later on, i.e. Kaley Cuoco as a substitute teacher for whom George Jr. develops feelings, Johnny Galecki as the owner of a train store, etc.

joyceraye, djsurrey and JE7 like this

Posted (edited)

On 8.6.2017 at 7:37 PM, Carlos said:

"Too neurotypical"... nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Neurotypical is a term used by people with ASD, their families and increasingly researchers and treating professionals (I'm the second and third, my mom the second) to refer to people without ASD (it represents the view that people with ASD are not inferior to others). If you don't want to consider Sheldon as a person with ASD (I had written at lenght in the DT some months ago why I consider he does have it) you can take my mom's commennt as saying his behavior is not Sheldon-like.

Edited by bfm
Carlos, joyceraye and JE7 like this

Posted

On 6/8/2017 at 4:43 PM, Kev0821 said:

I wonder if they'll resort to any "stunt casting" later on, i.e. Kaley Cuoco as a substitute teacher for whom George Jr. develops feelings, Johnny Galecki as the owner of a train store, etc.

If the ratings arent good then they probably will.

That is my big fear for TBBT as well on many successful shows as they het older and the ratings start to drop they bring out ever wilder situations to create excitment and interest. I am old enough to remember where the phrase "jump the shark" came from 

Kev0821 and joyceraye like this